attempting my first homebirth :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am due this month with my second child. I had my first child over six years ago in the hospital. I had kind of a bad experience and did some researching into home births and read a lot about Ina May Gaskin and have heard some really incredible birth stories. Also my father and his four siblings were all born at home so it's not a completely new idea for his side of the family. We have ordered a birth pool and have it set up already, since i'm due on the 17th. I went to my midwife today and she thinks I have at least a week to go until she is born which is great because I had my first daughter 4 weeks early after having my labor induced with Pitocin at the hospital. I had no pain medicine or an epidural and it was extremely painful with the Pitocin putting my labor into high gear. I was only 17 at the time and never questioned the doctors because I figured they were the experts on the subject. but yeah, just wanted to share that and am getting very excited to have my baby. I am very interested in hearing people's home birth stories so I know a little more of what to expect. I have already pretty much watched every documentary on the subject but would love to hear firsthand from some of you what it is like. thanks :)

#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Hi and welcome to Mothering! Ina May Gaskin is incredible, I have read almost all of her books, and she is my inspiration for achieving my 2 out of hospital births. While I didn't have a home birth, I did have 2 out of hospital birth center birth and before that I had 2 hospital births both vaginally without the Epidural and without Pitocin but nonetheless not the experience that I found empowering or that I even feel good about in the slightest way besides that my children were born. My natural births were the most amazing experience in my life making me feel empowered and gave me confidence that if I could do THAT, then I could do ANYTHING. I also believed that doctors knew what was best and always had the best intentions, but its just not the case, at least not these days and not by doctors that I have had. If you have any questions in particular you can PM me here, I'd be happy to help. I am pretty good about answering questions about normal birth and pregnancy because I am studying to be a doula. 

youngmom89 likes this.

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Please share your birth story!
youngmom89 likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I had my baby girl on Wednesday on her father's birthday! It could not have been more perfect. I went into active labor around 12:30 a.m so I called my midwife and her and her assistant came to my house and were there by 1:00 a.m. I originally wanted to give birth in my birth pool. I was in there for about 5 hours and things were just not progressing. They checked my dialation and I was around 8 c.m dialated do I figured I was almost done with the labor. Well, it turns out my baby was in the face up position and it was causing me terrible back labor. So we needed to get my baby in the right position. Luckily, my midwife and her assistant were amazing and had incredible knowledge about birthing. First, they had me lay down with my face down in the pillow and my butt up in the air for about 45 minutes. Then after that I had to go up the stairs, taking two steps at a time, twice. As if that wasn't enough I then had to lay on my side with my leg touching the floor on each side for 20 minutes each. The back labor caused me to start vomiting really bad and I started to get dehydrated so I was put on an IV. After I had some fluids in me, my labor seemed to really pick up pace. They had me lay on my back and they broke my water after being in labor for almost 16 hours it was finally time to push the baby out. she had finally turned and was face down! I had my boyfriend laying behind me holding my legs for me, after what seemed like forever I was getting impatient that my pushing wasn't getting me very far, so without any help or warning I jumped up out of that bed and got up on the birthing stool and started to push and within five minutes the head started to come out and that was when my 6 year old daughter, who was there for the whole labor and was very supportive, started to take pictures of the baby's head coming out. she was so excited! My baby was born a little after 5 p.m and was a little over 6 pounds and over 20 inches long. perfectly healthy too! The midwives stayed for over an hour after that to clean up and I was able to go to bed in my own clean bed and it was just the most amazing thing ever. What was cool, is my midwife is pregnant and due next month and her assistant had her 2 month old son there with us, so it's like there was babies everywhere. :)  They told me that if I was in the hospital I would have most likely been given a C-section so I feel blessed that I had such a great birth. I didn't even tear, even though I had an episiotomy with my first daughter which was just so lucky. So yeah, that is my birth story and I am so happy with the results. If I have anymore children they will be at home too, because even though my labor was really long, hard, and painful I feel like the strongest person in the world for it and am so happy my little girl could be born in such a loving and healthy environment!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page