placenta position? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been wondering lately if there are signs that can tell you where your placenta may be? Less baby movement, baby position, etc? It's just a curiosity. I dont intend to get any u/s this time around, but dd's was high in the back. Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Everything I think I know about this comes from having US, so IDK if it's helpful if you aren't having any.

My placenta was completely covering my cervix at 20wks, and I knew it couldn't have been in the front because I felt baby movements early for a FTM, sometime around 14wks, which I attribute to the placenta not being in the way. Funny, because most people equate movement with health. However, I had no idea it was going to be so low. 

By around 25 wks I had been visualizing placenta movement to try and correct the previa diagnosis, and I had been picturing it moving up towards the front all along. US showed it to be moving up but towards the back. 

Later I noticed that I was particularly sensitive to not being able to lie on my back. Doctors and my masseuse were surprised at how soon I started complaining about feeling sick when lying flat or even reclining. IDK if that's coincidence and more to do with other anatomical factors though. It's just a correlation I noticed. 

With regards to baby positioning, I think that's unlikely to be useful. Assuming my belly mapping skills are as good as I think they are (and I think so because I predicted her position correctly at every US I had), my baby spent some time in pretty much every position there is from 28wks when I started trying to feel for it through now, 37wks, so I can't imagine baby position would be a good one. 

These days my placenta is anterior and low-lying, but high enough to attempt vaginal delivery. I haven't noticed anything else that might have been useful signs if I wasn't getting US. Maybe if it was still a previa position I would have had bleeding by now, but I've heard of plenty of women who didn't ever bleed. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy my MW knew that my placenta was low. I'm not sure exactly how she knew but she used a doppler so that's my best guess.  My MW and I felt an ultrasound was indicated so had one to rule out previa. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page