Choosing a provider - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm having a hard time choosing between two providers and wanted to see if anyone had any insight to offer.

I'm seeking a HBA2C (only one of the options is an actually home birth though). HBA2C is not legal here (for a MW to attend) - and even for a truly supported VBA2C I'd have to travel up to and over an hour.

Lots of legwork has gotten me:

A provider who is about 2 hours away. She has a ton (understatement) of experience with all sorts of births. She treats birth as if it's the most natural thing in the world and just being in her presence has you feeling assured and capable. The cost of the care is the more affordable of the two options. The main con is that I would be birthing in my choice of "vacation homes" which still rates are combined with the birth / prenatal visits are cheaper than the other provider. And driving during labor (false starts, pre labor, or actual labor that may then stall and restart).

A provider who is a little over an hour away. She has less experience but also treats birth the same (yes I know that most midwives do). I do feel at ease also in her presence. She would come here so that I can birth in my home. The cost of care is more - but I'm still trying to determine if I can make it work. Still cheaper than my last midwives but given the legality I'm not certain if I'd see anything at all back from insurance as I'd not be able to file for it right?

As you can see the main ____ vs ____ is that one offers lower price, tons more experience and an almost "romantic" type birth that my family and I can go to and the other offers the maybe crucial option of staying in my home. I'm due mid jan - mid feb so snow is another concern of mine.

#2 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 AM

I understand that things are not necessarily easy for a lot of people right now...  As long as it is feasible for you financially, I would not allow $ to have any impact whatsoever on your decision.

I just don't think you can put a price tag on having the best shot at the birth you want for you and your baby.

Wish you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy and your birth.

#3 of 6 Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Money isn't really isn't the main pro vs con but re-reading my post it can look as such.

The vast experience vs birthing in my home is. I can't verbalise on the absolute peace I felt meeting with the midwife who I'd have to travel to birth with. It was more pronounced than the one who would come to me. They were both fine though and given that my husband didn't meet with them (he was with the kids) I've got no input but my own and am having a tough time of it.

KistheMum likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwmandu View Post
I can't verbalise on the absolute peace I felt meeting with the midwife who I'd have to travel to birth with. It was more pronounced than the one who would come to me.

It sounds like you have answered yourself.

Hugs!!!

Catwmandu likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

KistheMum - I just saw the picture of the bird and granted it may be my 17 week pregnant self but tears sprung to my eyes. Well said that quote is. Thank you.

KistheMum likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

After reading so many things here I am also starting to wonder what it'd be like to drive 2 hours while in labor - even for a midwife whose been practicing for 30 years? My husband would drive, the kids would be in the back.

There are so many things to wonder about - prelabor can happen for days and then there is the wonder and false starts "if this is it...". Since I've not had a full labor it may take forever (the one midwife said it's likely it will take a long while since I've never dilated fully or birthed vaginally) but I know that anything can happen.

Even if we left in early labor and it wasn't false labor - would the adrenaline from the ride stall the labor (like happened in my VBAC attempt)? Would it start back up once I got there after relaxation / sleep?

Not to mention the hypnobirthing / coping I'd have to do for a 2 hour drive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page