FUMING MAD! Huffpost spewing tons of false info interviewing Dr Amy on homebirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can't even make coherent sentences I'm so mad...

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/true-tragic-home-births-517733299

#2 of 12 Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

And looking at this it appears that Huffpost is waging a campaign against homebirth. Two more articles, but referencing the "danger" of homebirth. 

#3 of 12 Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

#4 of 12 Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM

The two articles you linked to are from 2011 and 2012. I have seen them before.

What exactly do you consider untrue about them?

And what specifically do you consider untrue about what Sara Snyder and Dr. Amy say in the interview session? That video is also several months old and I think it has already been discussed.

Please cite sources for the correct  information. IdentityCrisis may want to correct me, but this thread tries to stay with factual, evidence based discussion. I know in other discussions about studies regarding OOH birth, she has tried to focus on providing women with accurate information.

Queen of Thorns likes this.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#5 of 12 Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 PM

I was talking to a friend about this the other night and she suggested that "Dr" Amy's super-focused negative personality might be attributed, at least in part, to her brain tumor.

http://open.salon.com/blog/amytuteurmd/2008/10/15/my_brain_tumor

dinahx likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I was talking to a friend about this the other night and she suggested that "Dr" Amy's super-focused negative personality might be attributed, at least in part, to her brain tumor.

http://open.salon.com/blog/amytuteurmd/2008/10/15/my_brain_tumor

I read through the article that is linked and a good many of the responses. Dr. Amy responded to many of the people who commented and she doesn't sound negative (IMHO). The area of her brain that was adjacent to the tumor has nothing to do with personality.

Just my supposition, but I'm thinking her negativity is focused on people who don't understand, or who underplay the risks that can be involved in birth. To me she sounds like any other mom who left her career to stay home to raise her kids and along the way found something she is passionate about.

And, before you start making suppositions and assumptions about me, you should know I have been a home birth and birth center midwife for more than 16 years.

Queen of Thorns likes this.

#7 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 PM

I, also, have previously seen this video (and even referenced it in another thread). I don’t find the information in the video to be false, although it is heavily biased against homebirth and fails to offer a supportive side that informs mothers on how to choose a better provider, which I found very disappointing.

If the actual information provided is taken separately from the tone of piece, this video brings up some very important points. While CPMs are somewhat more vilified than CNMs in this video, in the first case, the problematic midwife was actually a CNM. I felt one of the most important things in the video was that the mothers with negative outcomes both listened to their midwives explicitly rather than listening to their own intuition and signs that something was wrong.

Could this topic have been handled with more tact? Definitely. Could there have also been supportive voices for homebirth, and information on how to select a qualified midwife? Definitely. However, this does not make the information presented in and of itself false, as disheartening as it may be.

#8 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The take home message for you was that these mothers should have followed their intuition? Huh. I got that these midwives were incompetent and should not be practicing.
cyclamen and mothercat like this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#9 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM

While I am agreed that these particular midwives should not be practicing, as a mother who had a OOH birth with a midwife who would not have hesitated to send me for a transfer (and almost did for slow delivery of the placenta), what I took from the piece was that both mothers trusted midwives they shouldn't have when their intuition told them there was something wrong that wasn't being adequately taken care of. I do think instead of vilifying the whole practice of midwivery based on bad examples, it would be more helpful if news sources provided more information on choosing a good midwife - talking with their midwife in early pregnancy about what would necessitate a transfer of care, educating themselves about any risk factors they may have to make an informed decision on whether midwife care is best for them, avoiding midwives who are willing to take on unreasonable levels of risk, etc.

#10 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, but care providers are supposed to be trustworthy.  Doctors, nurses, and midwives are held (or should be held) to a higher ethical standard for a reason - as a parent you are hiring this person to be an expert and to give you sound advice so that you can make the best decisions for the health of your baby.   You are trusting them to identify and properly respond to potential sign of emergency and emergencies. You should not have to be your own doctor or midwife. This has nothing to do with mothers not trusting their intuition, a person ought to be able to trust their care provider.  JenVose I know you are not meaning it this way at all, and listening to ourselves is a good thing, for sure, and getting educated about how to pick a care provider is so important, but making it about intuition or how these moms could have avoided this situation gets kinda close to monday morning quarterbacking and victim blaming for me.  

#11 of 12 Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 AM

Sara Snyder who is the woman in the video that used CNMs at a birth center for a breech birth in which her baby died IS trying to do something about educating women.

She felt that she was well informed going into the birth, but realizes now that that was not the case. The blog she writes, with guest posts by other midwives like Judith Rooks, is Safer Midwifery for Michigan.

One of the recent posts was "Taking Responsibility for Your Birth"  with a chart that shows what danger signs to look for and what actions to take. Yes, this is information that the midwife should know and act on. However, it is not difficult to find stories even here on MDC where a woman's intuition told her that one of these things were a problem, yet the midwife dismissed or ignored her concerns, and tragic consequences followed.

It is quite unfortunate that a few midwives are making headlines by being arrogant, ignorant, or incompetent, because there are a lot of midwives doing homebirth with low risk women (no identifiable risk factors) and having consistently safe outcomes in the process.

And why is it we blame the families who were hurt by a midwife when they speak up, but we don't blame the midwife who failed to do the job she was hired to do? The similarities to other types abuse and of victim blaming is disheartening to me.

#12 of 12 Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM

I do wholeheartedly apologize if any of my previous posts came off as blaming the victim, as that was never my intention. I know that in their shoes, I would be blaming myself every day, and that would by far be enough, without feeling that I had the blame of others.

I think Sara Snyder is a wonderful woman for being able to come out of her experiences strong enough to be able to advocate for safer midwivery practices, rather than condemning midwives as a whole. In her situation, I don’t know that I would be able to do the same, especially when I saw

However, with the OB/GYNs viewpoints, this particular video does seem to condemn all midwives, although some small recognition is given to the idea that a CNM "might be OK." Yet it was a CNM’s ignorance/irresponsible behavior that led to Ms. Snyder’s tragic loss.

The fact of the matter is, as I see it, that we are all human and we all make mistakes. And it is just as possible to get an OB/GYN or a hospital-based CNM who makes mistakes just as serious as those which may be made by a CPM or a CNM who is willing to do homebirth. One factor that isn’t taken into account in statistics on the negative outcomes of hospital vs. OOH births is the fact that in the hospital setting, a positive birth outcome is not simply down to one or a limited group of people, but instead, a whole arsenal of highly-trained staff that are available in the hospital. While studies show that hospital birth with a CNM (actually, best outcomes) or OB/GYN is far safer than a homebirth, these studies do not indicate how often a positive outcome was achieved because of the full efforts of a team of trained medical professionals other than those who are cited as the primary source of a woman’s care. They also do not take into account whether or not a woman with a negative homebirth outcome had a foreseeably high level of risk and was inappropriately allowed to continue with homebirth plans by a midwife (in other words, negative outcome was directly the fault of the midwife, which, as previously mentioned, is not adjusted for in hospital statistics where any positive outcome is considered regardless of the other parties involved). Therefore, there is no complete data that allows a full look at the issue, where we compare outcomes of women in both settings only for those who had no previously foreseeable risks (understanding that even in that grouping, there will still be complications from women who have risks that simply weren’t caught during any earlier screening processes).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page