Back-Up OB Weirds Me Out - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My midwifery group requires me to have an appointment with their back-up doctor. I just made an appointment, and after getting off the phone with the receptionist and the little I've heard about him from my midwives, I feel really weirded out by them. Maybe I'll meet him and feel comfortable, but what if I don't and need to transfer? For an emergency transfer, I will probably just go to the nearest hospital (he's far away). Is this even worth worrying about after having two uncomplicated out-of-hospital births?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it makes the most sense to just seek out a backup ob in your area.  That would give you greater continuity in the event that you do need a transfer, and if you don't, it's not going to matter.

JenVose likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Is it just one appointment?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

It is just one appointment, unless I risk out for some reason.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM

If I’m understanding you correctly, the midwives want you to meet “their” doctor, who you absolutely would not be using, even in the event of an emergency. It sounds like your situation might be somewhat similar to my first birthing experience, where I used midwives who practiced almost 2 hours away. I chose to use their birthing center rather than a homebirth because of the proximity to good hospitals vs. my own home, etc., so if they had suggested that I see a doctor they were affiliated with (which they never did), then it might have made sense to me, just in case there was a transfer that took place during labor itself, if there was some assurance that that was the doctor I would be seeing at the hospital – after all, no need to meet one doc in a large hospital who might not even be on call at the time.

At the same time, if I had been planning for a homebirth with the same practice and they had suggested I meet “their” doctor, I would have had no reason to and would have declined – if there had been a complication and either they could not get to me for my birth or a medical issue required me to have advanced medical care, I would not have been traveling the hour-and-a-half to two hours for care, I would have used a local practitioner. If this is the case, I would decline meeting their “doc,” and let them know who I planned to use for care in case of emergency or even schedule a visit with a back-up OB of my own choosing, if they really want to be picky about you having an actual visit.

On the other hand, my midwives had an OB they worked with who actually was the “prescriber” for anything that they could not obtain “over-the-counter” or from specialty birth suppliers (such as IV antibiotics for group B strep/etc.). Is it possible that the meeting with the OB is for the OB to ascertain your risk themselves so they feel comfortable in signing off on a prescription in a similar circumstance?   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page