Did you tear again after a 3rd/4th degree initial tear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wondering what you Mama's experienced after a bad initial tear. Did you have a c section or vaginal the next go around? Did you tear again? If not, what do you think helped to prevent any damage? If you had another bad tear, was the healing quicker this time around?
cynthia mosher likes this.
#2 of 14 Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone?

#3 of 14 Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a 3rd degree with a beautiful waterbirth at home. i was surprised at the tear after reading about the benefits of the warm water lessening the chances. i took primrose oil leading up to the birth and did kegels, but not peri. massage. I'm not sure how much it would have helped to be honest. I was pushing with all my strength and baby's head sort of popped out, no easing her way out unfortunately. Also, my family history has some bad tears and episotimies as our skin just doesnt seem to be as elastic as other ethnicities perhaps. Anyway I found the healing to be long and difficult. I could hardly get out if bed for a good 5 weeks and even afterwards I mostly laid around on the couch and avoided sitting as much as possible. The heaviness in the pelvic floor was incredible and I would get sore after only a few moments standing. I felt like I had a bowling bowl up there sagging me down. Very uncomfortable and it was emotionally a challenge. I felt like I couldn't take care of my newborn (thank goodness I had my mama to help out!) and was frustrated at the not knowing when I would start to feel better and begin the healing process. I leaked urine for a good 5 months after and didn't resume intimacy with my husband til about 15 weeks postpartum and wowzer, it was no fun for the first dozen times. Now at 11 months postpartum I feel back to myself for a while now (since about 6/7 months my pelvic floor is much stronger now, no soreness, no more urine leakage, etc) although it looks like a scary mess down there!?? (Guessing that's pretty normal after 100 + stitches?) I'm not expecting yet, but am anxious about what will happen with the next baby and would love to hear some experiences from your lovely selves of whether or not you tore again with subsequent babies. Thanks again, mamas!
#4 of 14 Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have not torn with any of my births.  But I do know it is entirely possible to not tear in a subsequent birth.  I do not know the circumstances of your first birth, but if you received an episiotomy you can place the blame firmly on that procedure.  Other things that contribute to tearing are:

-epidurals or other pain relief which prevent you from feeling what is going on and adjusting your position and pushing accordingly

-doing 'purple pushing' (often at hospital they will chant "push 1,2,3...10") which will again not give you control of the pressure of the baby moving through you

-using instruments like forceps or a vacuum extractor

-having the baby manipulated out of you- many practitioners reach their hands or fingers into the vagina and turn the baby or pull it out

-having a yeast infection will make tissue much more fragile

-laying on your back

-the position of the baby

-induction of labor and the use of pitocin

So, to help prevent tearing, make sure your tissues are healthy (no yeast).  Practice relaxing your vulva with squats where you just breathe and let everything release, keeping your jaw loose.  Enter labor naturally, letting the process of your body being fully ripe and soft to take place, avoiding pitocin.  Avoid drugs so you can feel what is going on and move about freely.  Ask your doctor or midwife to practice a 'hands off' catch, letting the baby slide out on its own into her (or your) hands.  Push and birth on your side if comfortable, which studies show is the position that causes the least amount of tearing.  Discuss this with your doctor or midwife so you are on the same page with these things, and write it into your birth plan if you have one.  

Good luck! 

#5 of 14 Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My first birth I had a 3rd, almost 4th degree tear.  But he was vacuum extracted so who knows what would have happened had he come out naturally.  My second baby I tore again, but only 2nd degree that time and recovery was much easier.  I think I tore partly because her hand was next to her head when she was born (nuchal hand) and she was born quickly (4 minutes of pushing).  My 3rd baby I tore again (not sure of the degree of the tear). Recovery was must easier too.  I did bleed badly though from the tear because I tore an artery when I tore so I bled a lot.  But once the bleeding stopped and I was stitched up, I healed quickly.  With that birth, I think I tore because she was born really quickly too (14 seconds).    I would LOVE to be able to slowly and gently ease a baby out to decrease the chances of tearing, but I never realize I'm ready to push until I'm pushing (fetal ejection reflex) and then the baby just flies out. If I have any more babies, I'd love to try to slowly ease the baby out, but so far I haven't been very good at that, lol!

#6 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 PM

sharing a client's experience:  about 6 yrs previously...mother sustained a 4th degree with her 1st (CNM delivered - I believe location was a birth center -mother could not remember if her expulsive efforts were directed).  Expecting her 2nd she engaged my care and planned a home birth.  EPO, daily 20 minute sitz baths last weeks of pregnancy and 2 other little helps.  She labored well-  but when baby began to descend she became fearful.  It was unfortunate- but baby had her arm up and during descent mother began to feel 'the burn' . Mother and I worked together to ease the emergence of her baby's head (water birth) and her 1st born caught baby sibling . skid marks only.   Not sure why she tore so badly with her 1st. 

Sandra Hess, CPM
Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, Ohio

https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandMidwife

#7 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM

1st birth was pretty bad, but that was hospital on my back.

2nd birth I just had a tiny tiny tear, my MW wanted to put in 1 stitch and I told her to just leave it alone. It never even bothered me. This baby was pushed out in just a few short pushes, quite fast so I'm surprised I didn't tear. Must have been a favorable position for me (birth stool).

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

#8 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM

I had a 3rd degree tear with my son that took a long time to heal. BUT the good news is that I did not tear for my 2nd or my 3rd..thank God.

The only difference with them is my pushing position. For my first I squatted and for the last two I did hand and knees, not sure if the position was the reason.

#9 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 03:20 PM

My first birth I had 3rd degree tears thanks to forceps. I tore a little during my second birth (home water birth), but it wasn't bad at all, and aside from forcing myself to be a little more careful when using the restroom and sliding around on my bum while adjusting my sitting positions, it never hurt.

I did EPO for the last week of my pregnancy, but that was about it. I didn't get in the tub until I was already pushing, and she was born super fast. This time I'm hoping to slow down a bit, and I'll have my midwife coach me a little more during the last little part so I'm more careful.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#10 of 14 Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM

My first I had a third degree tear, she was vacuumed, and weighed 6lbs 12oz. My second was a waterbirth, she eased out, was 8.5lbs with a 15cm head, and I didn't tear. With my second I did evening primrose oil, no kegels and no perineal massage.
#11 of 14 Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM

Very interested in this thread bc I had bad tearing with my first and it was a non-intervention homebirth water birth. I'm pretty sure its because she came out so fast (only 15 mins of pushing) but I am so sooooo afraid of tearing with this baby due in april. I had post traumatic stress from the looooong painful stitching up period after the birth and being poked so much with the needles. greensad.gif then I couldn't sit for weeks, always had to be on my side.

You mamas who say you used evening primrose oil... how and when did you take it? I'm trying to remember... I think that for the last month of pregnancy I inserted 1-2 capsules vaginally every night...?? My memory is pretty foggy. But im wondering if you guys did it the whole pregnancy or something else that im missing. Thanks in advance!

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#12 of 14 Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 PM

For the last month I inserted 2 capsules at night (I poked a hole in them and then inserted them), I just remembered that on occasion I would have my husband break one and massage the inside of the vagina with it as well. I also took 1-2 tablets orally during the day.
#13 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philothea View Post

Very interested in this thread bc I had bad tearing with my first and it was a non-intervention homebirth water birth. I'm pretty sure its because she came out so fast (only 15 mins of pushing) but I am so sooooo afraid of tearing with this baby due in april. I had post traumatic stress from the looooong painful stitching up period after the birth and being poked so much with the needles. greensad.gif then I couldn't sit for weeks, always had to be on my side.

You mamas who say you used evening primrose oil... how and when did you take it? I'm trying to remember... I think that for the last month of pregnancy I inserted 1-2 capsules vaginally every night...?? My memory is pretty foggy. But im wondering if you guys did it the whole pregnancy or something else that im missing. Thanks in advance!

I think I started around 36 or 37 wks, I can't remember. Went from 1000mg to 2000mg gradually (or maybe it was 500mg to 1000mg... something like that). I never noticed anything if I took the EPO by mouth so I always took it vaginally (would poke a few holes in it at night w/ a needle). It never ceased to give me braxton hicks/contractions. I attribute early dilation to EPO. 

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

#14 of 14 Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM

I had a third degree tear with my first, but only superficial lacerations with my 2nd and 3rd. I think one thing that helped was pushing on my left side. That's what my urogynecologist suggested

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page