How did you greet your baby at birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always find it interesting to hear what others say to their new baby as it is being handed over and being welcomed into this world. What did you say or plan to say to your little one on the day of his or her arrival?

Wife to a super sexy hubby , mom to Christian 12/94 , Autumn 10/97 (HB), Will 07/00 (HB), Ocean 06/09 (birth center) and Zion 11/13 (HB) co-sleeper. no-vac, no-circ, babywearer, 8.5 years accu BF...and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM

With my first the only thing I could exclaim was that he was blue. Strangely he was also asleep but when I saw him I was so overwhelmed with love that I didn't know where or how to hold him. Love made me into a temporary idiot. 

My second was taken from me and placed into the warmer for no reason and they wouldn't "allow" me to hold him because according to them he hadn't had his bath yet and wasn't warm enough. I still regret not having enough balls to get up and get him myself. When we finally were introduced it was strange. Like I just encountered a little stranger that I knew exited from my body, that I planned for, conceived, and gestated, and would be responsible to care for. Being surrounded by unwanted visitors for our first encounter with each other didn't help either so our first greeting was silence and awkwardness and relief and exhaustion since I hadn't gottena  chance to rest or sleep since family came as soon as news was out that he was born. The loving, caring and bonded emotion and connected feeling grew over time. 

My third birth was my first out of hospital birth with very little intervention and no Demerol. I felt like I could be traumatized by the process although the Demerol I had with my first two didn't help with the pain but rather relaxed my body and made me sleepy, when it was over I felt like a champion, 'I did it!", and felt very empowered. " You're so tiny, Its a girl, finally I have a girl" (even though she was my biggest baby yet). I put her to the breast immediately and she nursed for 2 hours straight and didn't take to being interrupted well. 

My most recent birth, of my fourth child, was also out of hospital at the same place I birthed my third child with similar circumstances except I had more knowledge and a doula by my side . When the process was complete he was placed on my belly because his cord was too short to come up to my chest but i didn't know it so I kept pulling him up gently and asking him if he was hungry since he was crying so much (something my first and third didn't do much of). When the placenta was delivered I pulled him up close to my breast and kept asking him if he was hungry. I waited for his cues but in the meantime my voice and touch contented him until he decided he was ready to feed and, just like my third, he did not take to being interrupted which we had some 6 hours of non-stop feedings and resting beforehand.  

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My first I remember saying he was beautiful (very biased mom here, he had a major freaky conehead). My second I asked him if his name was Morgan (we'd tentatively chosen that for our boy name). My third I remember saying he smelled good and a lot of "wow! a baby!" because I wasn't prepared for him to come so quickly. The second and third each ate hungrily right away and cried if they weren't nursing so I commented on that some (like "wow you're hungry, you sure know what to do already don't you").

#4 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM

With my first I laughed and said "Hi baby!", with dd2 (first homebirth) I was shaking so hard, I was so exhausted I didn't want to hold her (I was afraid I would drop her from shaking so bad) and I thought "You're such a conehead you look like an alien" LOL!!!

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

#5 of 18 Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I said "it's a baby!!" because apparently that was a surprise? Lol, it was such a weird feeling, knowing I was pregnant and growing a baby inside me was somehow not adequate preparation for the tiny human put on my chest. 

#6 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 AM

With my first (a home birth) my first comment was "He's got cat hair on him already!"  We had a long haired cat and no amount of dusting and vacuuming could make our bedroom cat hair free.

With the second , I don't remember.  His cord was wrapped tightly at birth and the midwives couldn't unwrap him so it needed to be cut before he could come all the way out.  I think I was too concerned about everything going on at the time.

With my third she was a precipitous home birth so I was coaching and calming my husband who was freaking out because the midwives hadn't arrived yet.  I remember asking if she was a boy or a girl and being so happy she was a girl.  

#7 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Loved reading these! I just gave birth to my 5th baby 3 weeks ago. I forgot about this post until now. Lovely to go back and read these after I just gave birth. Honestly, I do not remember what greetings I gave at all my births, with my oldest turning 19 next month, I have had much time to lose my mind. I am sure most were, "Thank God you are out!" LOL But with this pregnancy I wanted to present this lo with a proper greeting. Coming Earthside is a big deal after all! wink1.gif Zion's greeting last month was simple. I told him, "Welcome little one. We have been waiting for you." <3

Wife to a super sexy hubby , mom to Christian 12/94 , Autumn 10/97 (HB), Will 07/00 (HB), Ocean 06/09 (birth center) and Zion 11/13 (HB) co-sleeper. no-vac, no-circ, babywearer, 8.5 years accu BF...and counting.
#8 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 PM

I can't really remember what I said to any of them except my 3rd.   I said, "I missed you so much."   I thought it was so odd that I said that so it has totally stuck in my head.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#9 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have no idea! I don't remember anything but how excited I felt and what she looked like. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#10 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Shoved my boob in his face. He seemed to be into it.

#11 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

LOL

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#12 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

First baby - "oh it's you!" or "oh so that's who you are." something about her face looked familiar to me in a way that I couldn't understand.

Second baby - I didn't greet her with words, I knew something was wrong when she didn't cry, got a glimpse of her, saw that she was beautiful and appeared to be dead, and then sent her off with her dad to be resuscitated.

third baby - i don't know, curious to find out.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#13 of 18 Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

LOL Too good! heehee

#14 of 18 Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

treehugginmama, I found that super interesting that you instinctively said that you missed him. As I believe we have a soul agreements with them. That there are souls that we have know in previous lives and have agreements with them to partner up to teach each other things in the next life. And that each time they can come into our lives as different people, like a child, a friend or a stranger that teaches you a great lesson. Hense, that feeling you get that you "know" someone and you just pass them in the store. :) May sound crazy, but it's my perfect kind of crazy that gives me peace, keeps me feeling connected and gives me that belief that everything makes sense. LOL

#15 of 18 Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Oh, these are so sweet... and funny, too!

With my first, similar to TreeHugginMama's 3rd, I remember staring at him in shock because I knew him. I can't remember what I said exactly, I was just in awe that he was so familiar.

With my second, I pulled her onto my chest and said, "Hello, Little One."

With my third, I pulled her to my chest and being so happy and in awe that she was on the outside of me (90 minute labor). Then, I was really excited to find out if she was a boy or girl, but I couldn't quite see. The first words I said was, "I don't feel a penis."

With my fourth, I was completely in another world when he was born. I greeted him cordially, "My goodness, hello, there." (Or something to that effect!)

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#16 of 18 Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post

Oh, these are so sweet... and funny, too!

With my first, similar to TreeHugginMama's 3rd, I remember staring at him in shock because I knew him. I can't remember what I said exactly, I was just in awe that he was so familiar.

With my second, I pulled her onto my chest and said, "Hello, Little One."

With my third, I pulled her to my chest and being so happy and in awe that she was on the outside of me (90 minute labor). Then, I was really excited to find out if she was a boy or girl, but I couldn't quite see. The first words I said was, "I don't feel a penis."

With my fourth, I was completely in another world when he was born. I greeted him cordially, "My goodness, hello, there." (Or something to that effect!)

Can never be too conservative with a human being hanging out of your hooha LOL!!!!

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

#17 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 AM

These are fun to read. I know a few people mentioned that they planned what to say... Is that common? I never thought that was a thing.

#18 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My midwife has a policy of not announcing gender. I hadn't thought about it before she said that but I loved her for it. Well he came early so I had a hospital birth and of course they announced. This will be in my written plan if I have another.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page