Birthing tubs... etc - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Location: currently las vegas Nv, moving to hawaii on the 1st of september 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am wanting to have a water birth but am not sure what tubs are best. Ive looked around online for eco friendly tubs which contain PVC, I am not a big fan of PVC.
I was wondering if there are any mommas who could help me find a great tub. Which tubs did you use? Did it retain heat well? What about eco friendly for mother earth and my baby liners? What items did you find necessary to have during your water birth experience? 
Also I am looking to use a heater to warm up my tub, any suggestions on which ones to use? 

Thankyou

#2 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have an ecofriendly tub suggestion to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM

I don't have any suggestions because my birth tub was supplied by my midwife, but it was sort of like a livestock trough.  It was very deep and spacious and worked well for me.  I didn't use anything to heat up the water, but turned up my water heater before the birth and I think my midwife heated water on the stove as well so the water was very hot/warm when I got in and stayed that way throughout.

Other than that I had a lot of towels handy and my midwife used a little thing like a small pool skimmer to get anything out of the tub ( like if you are pushing in there and poop a little ) !

I didn't actually have him in the tub, but labored in there twice throughout the labor.  Also didn't have a liner for the tub, but washed it before and after.

#4 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 AM

This was 3 years ago now, but we bought the aquaborn green pool.

http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/aquaborn-eco-water-birth-pools-c-1_437.html

It was just perfect! I read that it retained heat well because of the lid but the labor was so fast, I can't comment on that. It was nice, deep and roomy. And it felt secure and strong. If you poke around in the archives, you'll see lists that other mamas have posted which I found helpful.

We ordered a clear hose from a pet/reptile store, small fish wand, adapter for hooking hose up to faucet, an electric air pump, liner for the tub and a valve that is meant to use a running faucet to empty the tub (but the valve wasn't working for us so the midwife ran out to her car and grabbed her submersible pump to empty the tub).

Hope this list helps!
#5 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM

we used the aquaborn tub also.  my husband somehow found a lead-free PVC-free hose online, not sure of the brand.  I think it was used for drinking water supply to RV's or something.  we didn't have a heater, we just turned the water heater up beforehand.  my midwife thought I had a lot longer to go than my husband did (they actually argued about it) and he eventually started filling the tub even though she thought it was too early and I'm glad he did because I was barely in it an hour before my son was born.  next time I will start filling it as soon as contractions started because I ended up spending most of my labor in the shower/bathtub which was not nearly roomy enough.  I would suggest getting a kneepad of some sort (my midwife had a foam gardening pad) just in case as I spent most of my labor on my knees in my hard bathtub waiting for the birth tub to fill and if my midwife wouldn't have had that I would have been in bad shape.  otherwise, lots of waterproof painter's dropcloths (my husband basically papered our entire bedroom floor with these LOL) and towels!!!

#6 of 7 Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM

I used my midwife birth tub in a box. It was wonderful I am so glad we did a water birth. We did not have a heater which I was concerned about but turned out to be a non issue. It was warm when I got in and by the time it was cooling a little that felt great because my body was warm enough on its own from laboring. My midwife did insist we addmore warm water right before my son was born for his comfort. That was easy enough just used an RV drinking hose to add to the optimal temp. After he was born we sat blissfully in the warm tub until I climbed out to deliver the placenta.
#7 of 7 Old 01-02-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The recommended hose to use with a birth pool is a white hose, one intended for drinking water (like the RV one mentioned in prior posts).  The one we bought was labeled "medical grade PVC" and specifically stated it was safe for use with both hot and cold water.  We found it easily at the hardware store for less than $15, but there are others available online that seem more environmentally friendly in the $50/$60 range which claim they are good for drinking water, but they're intended for garden use and there is no mention of using hot water in them.  This was way out of our price range, anyway.  The one we bought is available on Amazon:  RV drinking water hose

We used the AquaDoula at three births, each time provided by our midwife.  Especially at cold/cool times of year, I would recommend a heated tub like this one because it can be a pain to have to adjust the temperature!  (Been there, done that at the hospital in December.  Brrrr!)  We purchased our own disposable liner.  It doesn't heat the water up, but is effective at maintaining temperature.  You can check it out here:  AquaDoula.com

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page