HBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering an Hbac for baby #3 and am doing heavy research, but would like to hear from people who have had experience with it. Do's and don'ts, cost ( I am near Columbus Ohio), any info would be awesome. I am leaning towards it but haven't made my mind up completly. Thanks mamas!

#2 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think a bit of background information will help everyone here provide more applicable responses.

Have you had two previous c/sections? What were the reasons for those c/sections? How long has it been since your last one?

What are your specific reasons for wanting an HBAC rather than a hospital VBAC?

Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I had a csec in 2007 with my son. An uneccesary one I believe. I went in to get cervical ripening because I was at 42 weeks. When I got there the hospital decided I was going to be induced instead which I was not happy about. At 6 cm dilation I got an epidural and did not dilate anymore.  The baby's heart rate dropped for a few minutes and I was rushed to csection. I didn't get the bonding experience or anything I wanted for that matter. Baby number 2 came 2 1/2 yrs later and she was delivered naturally at a different hospital. She is 4 now so my risks of uterine rupture do not even concern me at this point. I just want the birth that I want and I feel like I am not going to get it in a hospital setting. I do not want to argue with staff why I want the things I want. But I also need to know about homebirth experiences, even though everyone has a different experience.

#4 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird282 View Post

But I also need to know about homebirth experiences, even though everyone has a different experience.

Hi! I am actually on a similar path as you. My first was a c-section in 2004 because I failed to progress past 8cm, and the baby was OP not an emergency or due to complication. I wound up under general anesthesia because my epidural had worn off, and I definitely did not have the bonding experience I wanted at all. When I was finally ready to have my next baby in 2012, I decided on a homebirth. I had a wonderful midwife and supportive family, but I should have hired a doula. I wound up with a very long pre-labor lasting over two days. Then when my water broke, I had terrible nerve pain between contractions so I could never really get a handle on the pain. Sixteen hours after my AROM I decided I needed to go to the hospital. I just couldn't get on top of my pain and I was exhausted. The local hospital we went to was anti-VBAC, very rough with me, and tried to bully me into immediate surgery. My mother and sister soothed and talked me out of an automatic c-section. We left that hospital and went back home. I labored there for four more hours and I was still at something like 7-8cm. This time when I decided to go to the hospital we went to a VBAC friendly hospital an hour away where I had pre-registered just in case and knew an OBGYN. Although it was ten hours after I arrived, I was able to push my baby out with the help of a very low-med epidural and a little pitocin. The baby had a true knot in his cord, and the nerve pain I was having corresponded to the location of my placenta. I think that's why the labor took so long.

Anyway, after that long story (that is in no way trying to discourage you!), I wish it had worked out differently and I had given birth at home, but I am very grateful for the experience I was able to have. Everyone worked very hard for me to have a VBAC.

Now I am nearly 20 weeks pregnant with my third, and we are planning another homebirth.  I am much more confident this time around. I also have a doula hired, which I think is one of the best things you can do for labor. We are also going to pre-register at a local hospital (in case of an emergency) and the one an hour away. I really want to have all my bases covered and plan for as many scenarios as possible.

I'm sorry I don't have any specifics on cost for your area. I can tell you that my prenatal care and birth will cost $2600 plus supplies, which I expect to be under $100. My doula costs around $500.

Elizabeth - 33. Mother to ds 12-19-04 and ds 01-27-12. new tadpole due 05-25-14
#5 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wowza what an experience you had! I love that you were determined and got your VBAC! I was determined also. I never would have thought about pre registering at a hospital just in case so I am glad you mentioned that. I also want to have all my bases covered :) I love the thought of a doula. I didn't have one for my last 2 and I wish I had. I think it would have made a difference with my first if I actually had someone helping me instead of watching me lay in a bed in pain. Thanks for all the info :)

#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2014, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had my first HBAC in July 2011 and am planning another in September! I had a very long hard labor and also wish I had hired a doula! I love love loved being at home and not having to fight for what I wanted!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page