bathtub, birthing pool, or kiddie pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which in your opinion is the better option? We have a deep garden tub but of course it's not soft like a birthing pool would be. I've considered getting a kiddie pool but wouldn't I need to buy extra supplies to go along with it? What are some things to consider when deciding which to have a water birth in?

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
To me, any water would be better than no water, but I would go for the birth tub. I had a La Bassine and loved it. It was big enough and deep enough to lounge in. It was cozy and held heat well. The sides were not droopy but were soft enough to lean on fully. The bottom was study but soft on my knees.

It was set up well ahead of time and I had other people deal with it all so I didn't have to worry about setting up or taking down. Did I mention I loved it?
sewcrafty likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I also loved my La Bassine. For my first homebirth, I actually bought a kiddie pool too, but in the end I wasn't convinced I would be happy with it and gave it away. The biggest considerations for me were depth and handles. The ability to lean on the sides and the inflated bottom were also important to me. I used the heck out of every single one of those features, too. Very happy with my decision and now planning our third homebirth with the same pool.

With either a birth pool or a kiddie pool, you will need accessories. We bought a hose, a faucet adapter, an air compressor, and a water pump as well as small things like a thermometer and fishy net. The only thing the La Bassine came with was a patch kit and the option to buy liners if we wanted.
sewcrafty likes this.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#4 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

I also loved my La Bassine. For my first homebirth, I actually bought a kiddie pool too, but in the end I wasn't convinced I would be happy with it and gave it away. The biggest considerations for me were depth and handles. The ability to lean on the sides and the inflated bottom were also important to me. I used the heck out of every single one of those features, too. Very happy with my decision and now planning our third homebirth with the same pool.

With either a birth pool or a kiddie pool, you will need accessories. We bought a hose, a faucet adapter, an air compressor, and a water pump as well as small things like a thermometer and fishy net. The only thing the La Bassine came with was a patch kit and the option to buy liners if we wanted.

Leaning on the sides is something I hadn't thought of. With my first birth, I leaned against the bed a lot. It felt good for some reason. I don't think a regular bathtub would be comfy for that. Good luck with your home birth!

#5 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM

I sat in my bathtub for about 30 minutes while in labor....yeah, as soon as I got in, I regretted not splurging on the birth pool. The water felt amazing, but the tub was hard and tiny. There were a lot of reasons I didn't get a pool: money, trouble, and would have been difficult in my apartment. Maybe next time if I live somewhere else.

sewcrafty likes this.
#6 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM

If you can afford a birth pool go for it! I did water birth with a kiddie pool a couple weeks ago and ugh! So not worth it! It wasn't deep enough and did absolutely nothing for me. Next time if I can afford it I'll get the birth pool, if not I'll just go without...the only thing that really gave me some relief was the toilet which I guess is pretty common. Maybe next time I'll just deliver there! Haha
sewcrafty likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 AM

Here's a handy chart, including the classic kiddie pool options: http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/editorfiles/file/Pool%20Comparison%20Chart.pdf 

I've seen both the La Bassine and Birth Pool in a Box used by local midwives, and moms seemed pretty pleased with them both.

sewcrafty likes this.

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#8 of 9 Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to go for the birthing pool! My midwife has one I can rent from her so I'll use that one.

#9 of 9 Old 01-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Two questions -

1) Has anyone used the AquaDoula pool? I'd love to hear about your experience, especially when compared to other types.

2) If you have a bathtub with jets (think Jacuzzi or similar), do you need to do anything special to the jets prior to using the tub for either labor or birth? I haven't heard anything specific, and I labored in a bathtub with jets for my firstborn (but did not birth there), but am not aware of any particular cleaning that is necessary.

Thank you so much!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page