Home birth in CA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had 3 previous homebirths and one hospital birth (my first).  I'm expecting my 5th baby (by birth, we also have a child through adoption so this would be our 6th child).  I need to choose a new midwife and it looks like there are many reputable ones to choose from in my area, I'm pleased to say!  I'm hoping my insurance will at least cover the prenatal care visits.  It was so confusing talking with the insurance rep, as they told me to either see a midwife (um, not sure why since they couldn't tell me about coverage with one) and/or to get a referral from my primary care doctor for prenatal care (ob/gyn/etc.)  It all seems quite gray, although for birth it seemed the words "in-hospital" were in itallics quite often (as the rep told me) as what my coverage was.  

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM

I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but I just wanted to let you know that if you are eligible for medi-cal, they have just recently as of jan 1st this year, approved medi-cal to pay for midwifery care and homebirth.  :D  Because this law has just passed, I am not aware of any midwives that are accepting it yet. But I would look into it if you can get it.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - ya, we don't qualify for medi-cal.  We have Anthem Blue Cross.  I've called every single provider on their list of medical groups and not one of them employs a CNM.  I'm trying to find out if it's a "coverage" under our policy or if they just have to offer "prenatal/birth" care (with any health provider/OB/GYN/MD).  Why is it so hard to look up our laws?

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 PM

I don't happen to know what the law is concerning homebirth coverage.  But, maybe you could call them and ask if they have out of network coverage?  This would only be possible of course if you have a PPO plan, not HMO.  You could ask any prospective midwife if they have had any success in billing and receiving payment for their services.  Some have had success being fully or partially reimbursed. Sometimes it is just a matter of using the right code lingo when submitting the bill.  This is just what I've heard anyways.  Also, have you checked if your plan has any birth centers in their network? Good luck to you  :)

Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 PM

Hey Hun I also have anthem blue cross in ca. I've called them before and looked info up on it and they will cover a homebirth with a CNM. You'll have to call them to see whose "in-network", and if no one is listed you can have the CNM of your choice register as one. How much they cover from what I've heard seems to vary. Sometimes they end up covering it in full (as it's cheaper than a hospital birth) and other times around 70%. But still chances are good. Just keep calling and talking to different reps until you get one that seems to know more or give you the best rate on coverage, as soon as you do make them send you a letter verifying what they said with a reference number included invade you need it later.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 PM

*incase not invade lol
Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have had all my children at home with a midwife and I paid out of pocket each time and it was worth every single penny.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List