Anyone homebirthed while on blood thinners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a HB last PGcy, this one, I was planning on it but went in the hosp at 11 weeks with a DVT. I was put on heparin injections twice daily. My MW then said I risked out of her care. I love my MFM, but I am not wanting to be in the hospital again. Has anyone home birthed while being on regular blood thinners? I'm wanting to find the risks (hemorrhage?) and see if it's really a huge risk. My DVT is under control and the PGcy has been uneventful. I have been considering unassisted as our hospital is an hour away and I've been twice already and not very happy with it. :-/

Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and due with #6 3/2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am on blood thinners and planning a home birth, but have not yet had one on anything stronger than baby aspirin. I am also on a prophylactic dose as a precaution due to APS. I have never had a clot and would be much more hesitant with an active clot and being on a therapeutic dose (as I assume you are). I only know one other person who has home birthed while on blood thinners and her situation is similar to mine.

I would absolutely not birth unassisted on blood thinners because access to drugs that can stop a hemorrhage are very important to me. I would also be considering a hospital birth if we were not only a few blocks away from the hospital. In your case, I wouldn't birth at home.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#3 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I would not even consider it if there was no hospital access close. I have a hospital across the street. I can stand in my backyard and look right at it, even walk to it. It's not the hospital my MFM delivers at though.

I've been trying to find out the risks, based on what you said about therapeutic doses and active clots etc. It's hard to find these out there. My MFM is very knowledgeable and I love him as my Dr. He's very open to my wishes for the hospital. But I've never delivered with him. And my experiences, and others I've read from this hospital, leave me with the expectations that what I want wont be worked with. I can't labor strapped to the bed. I know if that happens, I WILL have an epidural and I seriously don't want it. I'm also frustrated with the long wait to even get into an L/D room. I'd planned to labor at home a bit so labor is established once I get to the hospital. But I don't want to be laboring in the waiting room with people, then sitting in L/D triage forever laboring on my back strapped to monitors. But that is the hospital's policy.

I'm not stubborn and would do this anyway regardless, thats why I'm trying to find out information that I'm having a hard time finding, beforehand.

Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and due with #6 3/2014

#4 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Are there MFMs who take your insurance who work at the hospital across the street from you?  If so, can you switch to one?  If not, it may be because that hospital has insufficient resources to deal with high risk pregnancies, and they'd have to transfer you if you showed up in labor.  (EMTALA forbids them from turning you away.  They are explicitly allowed to transport you, at their cost, to a more appropriate facility, based on their judgment of what is appropriate.)

I would not want to homebirth on blood thinners either.  I had to be on heparin for a while, due to a blood clot, and the effect of the therapeutic dose on me was that the clot cleared up, but I bled like crazy at every little bruise and cut.  It seems to me as though birth on blood thinners is a situation that could get dangerous in a hurry.

Have you talked to the hospital about their policies, and what monitoring consists of?  If they've got wireless monitoring units, you wouldn't be strapped to anything. 

Waits for L&D rooms can vary so much, depending just on what's going on on the unit when you arrive.  Unfortunately, there's nothing to be done about that one.

cyclamen likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 AM

I would not especially not on heparin which is les predictable the lovenox and I would not do it on love of. Also because you have already had a dvt this pregnancy the blood thinners are not just a precaution like when I have to take them. Also too far from the hospital for me.
#6 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

I also wouldnt do it. Not only are there risks for you, but do blood thinners cross the placenta? I would be concerned about baby bleeding. Would this be a situation where a vitamin k shot.for baby may be indicated?

Too many variables to make a homebirth safe, imo.
fruitfulmomma likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

I also wouldnt do it. Not only are there risks for you, but do blood thinners cross the placenta? I would be concerned about baby bleeding. Would this be a situation where a vitamin k shot.for baby may be indicated?

Too many variables to make a homebirth safe, imo.

Heparin does not cross the placenta or breastmilk.

Thank you for the input. I think I needed some outside observers to comment and bring up stuff.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page