Newly pregnant with 3rd baby, second homebirth, history of severe PPD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By miramom
  • 1 Post By lsanchez
  • 1 Post By miramom
  • 2 Post By lactomom
  • 1 Post By mcgpfngrowing
  • 1 Post By jodieanneanton
  • 1 Post By yashibowa79
  • 1 Post By Gingerjv

#1 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies! I'm thrilled to join as a newly pregnant mama (just found out today at a routine pap!). My girls are 7 and 5. The youngest was born at home and this one will be too! I had moderate post-partum depression after my first, and severe landed-in-the-hospital PPD after the second. In fact, it was so bad that DH didn't want anymore kids (this was somewhat of an oops, but greatly desired!) and he is terrified of it happening again. I'm on medication, would stay on meds postpartum, and will have a much healthier pregnancy than the second time. What else can I do now and later to give myself the greatest chance of a healthy postpartum period? When I mentioned encapsulating my placenta, DH about gagged (which surprised me, since he's totally on board with homebirth) so I'm not sure if I'll go that route. He wants research that proves it is beneficial for PPD relief. Any supplements I can take during pregnancy besides the usual? Any suggestions for after birth? DH will take a few weeks off, the older kids will be in school all day, and I may even hire a postpartum doula for extra help in the beginning.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just really excited!! Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Anna

applejuice likes this.

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#2 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on your new pregnancy! I had really bad ppd with my first, she was born at a hospital and I was living in a less than ideal situation, I think multiple factors contributed to the depression.. With my second I had none, I was thrilled. I think what helped was the birth (homebirth) and the amount of support afterwards.

I think having hubby home, kids at school, and a doula to help while you bond are excellent ideas! I would also recommend dedicating time to yourself during pregnancy to just relax and meditate on just baby and you.

I am going to eat my placenta this time. We'll cut it into chunks and freeze for smoothies for when I need that extra pick me up. I know Ive heard of the benefits and read up on a lot of it though I don't have any sources to give you. Another benefit would be for the milk production and it helps the uterus after birth to contract and prevent hemorrhage.

Good luck!
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I really want to consider using the placenta somehow. I'm not sure I could stomach eating it outright, but encapsulating it sounds feasible. I'm going to talk to my midwife when I start seeing her (she doesn't start prenatals until 12 or so weeks) and see if she has some resources that I can use to talk DH into being supportive.

applejuice likes this.

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#4 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM

I have a history of depression and PPD myself! I know my biggest trigger is nutritional, if I'm not taking at least 9,000 mg of cod liver oil a day I'm very easily overwhelmed (even when not pregnant). After my first child I was a monster, not to my baby, but to my husband. I blamed him for everything, was a nasty horrible wife. Worse he tired to help, but I bit his head off. Thankfully a Mommy group help me realize what was going on with me, I found cod liver oil and things got MUCH better from there (and patching my marriage in the process).

My second pregnancy, I encapsulated the whole placenta. It really helped a lot. Since I did it myself, it happened much slower then it could have. So I was already on a bit of an emotional yo-yo when I started taking it. My 3rd pregnancy I did raw placenta smoothies for 7 days, made tincture with one chunk, and powered the rest. The raw placenta smoothies (much like a raw liver smoothie, I use berries to hid the flavor) were awesome, having the first one soon after the birth of that placenta. I wish I would have done just the smoothies and the tincture! This time that is exactly what I will do. 

My husband wasn't so excited about the encapsulation let alone the raw smoothies. However, he was more than willing to help, especially if it prevented what we went through after our first. I know that was ALL about me, but all I have is my personal experience. Hope it helps! 

applejuice and miramom like this.

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

#5 of 10 Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can find a doctor in your area who is trained in Creighton model naprotechnology and ask about post partum progesterone protocol for PPD Google Dr hilgers and napro postpartum progesterone for ppd. It works!!!!m
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 10 Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Vitamin D and omega 3s (specifically EPA) are both really good for depression. I don't know about PPD specifically, but I use them for treating my depression and they're the only thing that's made a debt. A good quality cod liver oil supplement isn't a bad idea, it's generally advised during pregnancy anways, make sure you get one that has vitamin A and D and lists that it has EPA and not just DHA. Blue Ice has fermented cod liver oil (and a blend with high vitamin butter oil that alleges very good benefits) and there are some emulsified cod liver oils that seem good. You may need a higher dose (at least to start, I needed to take it twice a day rather than once) but you should talk to your doctor about if there's a limit to how much is okay while breastfeeding.

You also might want to find a therapist that handles PPD and maybe start having sessions while you're pregnant so that there's someone you know and getting in touch with a therapist won't be as daunting while you're in the thick of PPD.

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#7 of 10 Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Three best ways to prevent PPD:

1. Good sleep!
2. Proper support!
3. Excellent nutrition!

Good luck, @miramom . <3
applejuice likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#8 of 10 Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i'm having my 3rd in august and i was thinking about homebirth. it sounds a little scary though going all natural at home, but then at the same time i feel like ill be comfortable. i keep going back and forth and i really don't know what i should do.

could any of you share some quick stories to sway me??
applejuice likes this.

~ I am obsessed with car seat safety and advice on the best car seats!

Love you all!!
Kaitlyn R.
#9 of 10 Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It was very interesting thread to read! I actually have never thought about homebirth, i am the biggest coward ever ;-))) i need all the help in the wrold for my birth: the whole hospital should assist at my labor;-) i admire those women who decide to homebirth! By the way i have never heard about eating your own placenta! is it really possible? wow! what benefits it gives you? i am really interested in this question (we are trying to make our first baby with husband;-)).
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had PPD w/ all my children except the last. They were all born at home, unremarkably.

What contributed to my PPD? I think because I focused on losing the weight, we moved to a new house each time, and I did not get enough rest. I did not take my vitamins and I was too focused on getting too many things done.

What made a difference? I was older, I stayed in bed for two weeks after the birth, rested, and ate chocolate. I highly recommend it. I never lost the baby weight, so I do not know if it was because I did rest, was older and ate lots of chocolate, but I felt great! I went back to work after six months and I felt wonderful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page