"Breaking up" with your doctor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any advice on this front? A little background - I had hospital based midwifery care with my first pregnancy, it was awesome. Switched insurance, now I don't have access to that practice (or ANY midwives) through insurance. I started OB care through my primary care clinic, and we recently hired a midwife in anticipation of a home birth this summer. I love 90% of our primary care clinic EXCEPT the way they do OB. Instead of keeping our family's primary doc through pregnancy, they assign OB cases to residents. 

The residents are very sweet, albeit alarmist, and I don't want to create drama. I have a very positive relationship with our other care providers through this clinic. But unless something risks me out of home birth or I suddenly decide I need/want hospital care, I'm planning on being at home. I ideally want to continue a positive relationship with this doctor in case I do need to transfer in labor. Anyone else done this? How have you handled it?

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#2 of 2 Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is one of the advantages of keeping a relationship with a medical provider on a professional versus personal basis.

I would simply send a polite letter along the lines of:

Dear X,

I am writing to let you know that while I appreciate the thoughtful care provided by your clinic, I have, for personal reasons, decided to transfer my pregnancy care to another provider.

I look forward to continuing my relationship with you as my primary care provider.

Sincerely,

Me.

If anyone is so crass to inquire as to what your personal reasons are, I would just mention something about seeking more continuity of care for pregnancy than that offered by the clinic and leave it at that.

I assume if you transfer you will have the luck of the draw as to who is at the hospital that day, so I'm not sure there is really anything to preserve on that front.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page