Any advice on this front? A little background - I had hospital based midwifery care with my first pregnancy, it was awesome. Switched insurance, now I don't have access to that practice (or ANY midwives) through insurance. I started OB care through my primary care clinic, and we recently hired a midwife in anticipation of a home birth this summer. I love 90% of our primary care clinic EXCEPT the way they do OB. Instead of keeping our family's primary doc through pregnancy, they assign OB cases to residents.
The residents are very sweet, albeit alarmist, and I don't want to create drama. I have a very positive relationship with our other care providers through this clinic. But unless something risks me out of home birth or I suddenly decide I need/want hospital care, I'm planning on being at home. I ideally want to continue a positive relationship with this doctor in case I do need to transfer in labor. Anyone else done this? How have you handled it?
Mama to DS 11/25/09
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007
<- that happened, EDD 6/28/14
This is one of the advantages of keeping a relationship with a medical provider on a professional versus personal basis.
I would simply send a polite letter along the lines of:
I am writing to let you know that while I appreciate the thoughtful care provided by your clinic, I have, for personal reasons, decided to transfer my pregnancy care to another provider.
I look forward to continuing my relationship with you as my primary care provider.
If anyone is so crass to inquire as to what your personal reasons are, I would just mention something about seeking more continuity of care for pregnancy than that offered by the clinic and leave it at that.
I assume if you transfer you will have the luck of the draw as to who is at the hospital that day, so I'm not sure there is really anything to preserve on that front.
I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.