Birth Plan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to write my birth plan for my second home birth.
With my first we didn't really have a written plan, and it went well. And I had no written plan in case of transfer, because I had this fear of self fulfilling prophecy of Our wrote anything down.
But this time there are things I want known by my birth team, cord burning instead of cut if possible, my expectations for care of our younger child, no directed pushing, perineal support.
Also I want a written plan in case of transfer. I'm not having the same feelings against having my wishes for care known this time.
Any suggestion for a two part birth plan? Short and sweet.

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#2 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here is one sample home birth birth plan:

http://www.nct.org.uk/sites/default/files/BirthPlan-HomeBirth.pdf

I think it's great that you're going to write a birth plan in the event of transport. It's important to keep in mind when writing it that if you were to transfer in, it's likely to make use of some of the interventions the hospital has to offer that can't be done at home. So, I wouldn't recommend making it like the typical birth plan that moms trying to have natural births in the hospital write. Make it the things that are important to you, that you want the staff to know.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
Most of my wishes for transfer are for informed concent to be explaination of any procedure. about newborn care, no eye goop, no hep b. no circ. no bath. no formula for any reason. keeping baby with me at all times after birth, and having a support person with me at all times in recovery.

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#4 of 5 Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't feel a big need for a birth plan for my midwife (she was at the last birth, so I know we're on the same page). I am starting to feel like I need something in case of a hospital transfer. For the most part, if I'm transferring, I'm willing to go along with how they want to do things, but there are a few things I'd want known about my preferences and history. For example, I've gone from 5cm to baby out in under 20 minutes, so vaginal exams are likely to be misleading at best, and I'd rather avoid them unless there's a really good reason for it.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#5 of 5 Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM

I don't think I would feel it necessary to have a birth plan with home birth midwives, but in the event of a transfer, here was my birth plan:

We'd like to see the CNMs if we don't risk out. Otherwise, no residents please.
Dr. Great with kids for a pediatrician.

We don't know the sex of the baby--if possible we'd like Dad to announce it.

No thanks, we decline the Hepatitis B vaccine here in the hospital.

No thanks, we decline the erythromycin eye ointment.

Yes please, we would like the Vitamin K shot.

No thanks, we do not plan on circumcision.

No thanks, I'll skip the TDAP.

Yes please, give me the flu shot.

Basically, as an L and D nurse, all I want is to know the basics---most of the other stuff myself or my partner could explain OR it would be a true emergency and there wouldn't be time.  But even in the event of an emergency c/s, this stuff would be helpful to know quickly.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page