Where in your home did you give birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe this is a funny question but I am planning my first homebirth and I am having a hard time imagining giving birth anywhere in my house. So where in your house did you give and did you plan it or did you just decide what felt right in labor?

#2 of 29 Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I ended up giving birth on my bed. My midwife arrived as I ready to birth, and she asked me to move there from the bathroom floor where I had been during transition. I think she wanted me to get to the bed so that I would be more comfortable, and so she could set up her gear there.
I'd recommend getting your space set up for as many birth-y situations as you could possibly want to use; couch, tub, bed, floor, bathroom, etc.
You will probably move around quite a bit during the labour.
I spent a good amount of time leaning on the kitchen counter early on, and enjoyed the birth tub before transition. But the bed was very grounding and easy to press in to as my body contracted for birthing.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#3 of 29 Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ended up birthing in the lounge room. We had a pool set up there but I got out when I was nearing transition as it was too shallow to give birth in. I also spent alot of early labour in the shower.
I second Bruna on getting as many spaces ready as possible. Had the bed ready aswell but I didn't use it as my partner and my dd were sleeping some of the time.
#4 of 29 Old 04-13-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I spent the last few hours in my bedroom, on the ball, the bed, and the floor, it was a big room and there was open space on a big area rug, for the birth I ended up kneeling there on the underpads and such.

#5 of 29 Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 PM

I labored all over the house but I gave birth in a pool in our room. I moved to our bed shortly afterwards
#6 of 29 Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 PM

My first home birth was in my garden tub.  Second was in a blow up pool in my bedroom.  Third was also supposed to be in the birth pool in my bedroom, but we forgot to get the adaptor for the hose and couldn't fill it up, so I ended up birthing on my bed :)  

Married to Tom partners.gif since 2001, mom to 4 boys and our first girl born Feb. 19, 2012!

Florida licensed midwife and CPM lovinghandsmidwifery.org

#7 of 29 Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I gave birth on the bed. I labored in the bedroom and bathroom and birthing tub. I actually hated the birthing tub and I love baths! The sheets that we bought from Goodwill just for the birth actually cleaned up fine and we still use them in our regular rotation.

We are in a small apartment (moving to a small house at the end of May) and I didn't have much choice about where to labor and give birth but it was perfect anyway.

Born August1982. Love/Marriage May2003/June2010. Home birth for daughter March2013.

#8 of 29 Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM

On my bed 10 years ago. In a few days I hope it will be in an Aqua Doula thats set up in the baby's room.
#9 of 29 Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

In the guest room that was to become her nursery. Set the pool up, labored/delivered in the water, then transferred to the guest bed afterward.

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#10 of 29 Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM

At my home births, I ended up choosing to give birth on my bed.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#11 of 29 Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
On the steps leading to our bathroom. My neighbor given to bad word-play calls her my stepchild. nut.gif. I sure didn't plan it that way...just tired of being in transition and had the idea that squatting on the toilet would speed things up! I guess that wasn't necessary. Worked out great for DH to catch her though.
#12 of 29 Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Labored in the shower and a pool set up in the kitchen, then delivered in bed.

#13 of 29 Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 AM

In all my homebirths, I laboured on my bed. I would lean forward over a stack of about eight pillows during contractions, and sit back on my knees between them. Once I knew that I was nearing transition, I've gone and entered the pool to birth. The pool has always been in a corner of the living room.
#14 of 29 Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I labored and birthed on our bed. I had planned to use a pool, but my labor was way too quick and it never made it out of the box!

DD 2/08
#15 of 29 Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Toilet and toilet. It is the only place I can labor. The birthing tub was of no interest to me.

#16 of 29 Old 04-23-2014, 03:51 PM

In the bathtub in our master bathroom. It's funny because when we moved in, I could just picture myself laboring/giving birth in there and so I did :) Occasionally I did get out and labor in our bed or while walking around the house but I much preferred being in the water. I think you should give birth wherever you feel most comfortable.

#17 of 29 Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 PM

One babe was born with me leaning onto the bed with my knees on the floor. The last two It was the same position but in the living room leaning onto the couch! I tried the tub and hated it, as well as the bed.
#18 of 29 Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Both times - birth pool in basement family room

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#19 of 29 Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
In a cabin in the living/dining area as close to the bathroom as possible! It was in a birth pool which was amaxing
#20 of 29 Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 AM

On the futon in the living room. Of course we had plastic sheets under the flannel sheets on the bed and nothing on the futon but the bedroom wasn't working for me.
#21 of 29 Old 04-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I had everything set up in our bedroom.  I had no interest in roaming through the house and had everything I needed there.  I birthed in a fishy pool next to our bed and then pretty shortly after her birth moved to the bed.  I spent the early part of labor lying in bed or sitting on the birth ball, leaning up against the bed.  

#22 of 29 Old 04-28-2014, 03:03 AM

Baby number one & two were born in our birth pool in the lounge room. Baby number three was a much more challenging labour & was born squatting between my husbands legs ( he was sitting & was holding me up) Each birth space felt like the perfect space for each baby x
#23 of 29 Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Birthed on the floor in my bedroom. The rug that we had down is very special to us! Spent the last few hours between, the bed, sitting on the toilet, and squatting on the floor, because it made helped my contractions and felt good. 

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#24 of 29 Old 04-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Should add that our bathroom is so tiny my midwife stood in the shower the entire delivery. smile.gif
#25 of 29 Old 05-01-2014, 10:38 PM

At the foot of my bed, on a birthing stool my midwife brought with her.  Once labor got to where I couldn't walk around anymore, I just clung to the foot of my bed, bent over, and that's where I was when my midwife got there, so she set up under me and had me sit on the stool, which helped immensely.

For this one, we live in a different house and our bedroom is smaller, so I've pictured all kinds of different scenarios, and nothing feels quite "right" yet, but I imagine when the time comes I will find my place.  Our master bath is not small, so I might find myself laboring on the toilet or even in our tub or shower.  Hard to say!

#26 of 29 Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 AM

My first was born while I was standing in our shower (no water turned on during labor or birth).  My second was in the birth tub in the living room.  Be open to where ever labor takes you.  I tried the shower and all the positions that worked with my first the second time, but they felt wrong.  Mentally, I didn't want to be in the living room.  It's so open, and I'm not normally comfortable in water.  Yet the moment I got in the water, it was RIGHT.  She was born about an hour later.  

#27 of 29 Old 05-12-2014, 05:09 PM

In the birth pool in the living room. Went to my bed shortly after. I loooooved the birth pool.

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#28 of 29 Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)

In the hall between the bathroom and our bedroom.  It is only 10 feet from the bathroom to the bedroom, but I did not make it.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#29 of 29 Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
1st- bathtub..planned
2nd bedroom (in pool) planned
3rd living room in pool because the pool was too big for bedroom... planned
I preferred my bedroom best.... more secluded than living room and more comfy than bathroom
with this one if I can find a pool small enough (but big enough to work) I will go with bedroom again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page