What questions did you ask your midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What questions did you ask your midwife?

My plans to start trying to get pregnant got pushed back some, due to relationship situations, but I'm still in the "information gathering" phase.

I'm a medical professional (an LC) who works closely with mothers and infants, but despite that, I have little to no experience with homebirth midwives, and could very much use input.

I know I have some questions:
-Are you willing to work with a mother on moderate-risk medication, who will be on it her entire pregnancy/nursing?

-What conditions do you transfer to a hospital for?

-How often have you transferred women?

-Are you comfortable advocating for me with family, and helping my husband keep people -away- if they will impede my birth process?

Other than that, though, I honestly don't know what to ask.

So. What did you ask YOUR midwife? Was it useful to know? What do you wish you'd known before?

And, heck, while I'm at it, any good, general advice for a first time wannabe-mama who desperately wants a relatively relaxed homebirth with JUST her husband and midwife present?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are there any screenings or tests that you require or feel strongly about? What labwork do you recommend and why?

Have you ever lost a mother or baby? If yes, how did it change your practice?

Tell me about your backup coverage.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentofchaos View Post
My plans to start trying to get pregnant got pushed back some, due to relationship situations, but I'm still in the "information gathering" phase.

I'm a medical professional (an LC) who works closely with mothers and infants, but despite that, I have little to no experience with homebirth midwives, and could very much use input.

I know I have some questions:
-Are you willing to work with a mother on moderate-risk medication, who will be on it her entire pregnancy/nursing?

-What conditions do you transfer to a hospital for?

-How often have you transferred women?

-Are you comfortable advocating for me with family, and helping my husband keep people -away- if they will impede my birth process?

Other than that, though, I honestly don't know what to ask.

So. What did you ask YOUR midwife? Was it useful to know? What do you wish you'd known before?

And, heck, while I'm at it, any good, general advice for a first time wannabe-mama who desperately wants a relatively relaxed homebirth with JUST her husband and midwife present?
Are there any specific supplements you want me to take? Any oxytocic herbs to get things moving in the last weeks?
How often do you check hemoglobin and what minimal levels do you like to see before a homebirth?
Are you willing to try using a fetoscope (or pinard horn) instead of Doppler?
How do you feel about going late, 41w, 42w, beyond that? Are there legal restrictions here?
What's your transfer procedure? How often do you transfer and for what reasons?
Do you have oxygen? Pitocin? IV?
Do you suture tears?
How often do you do vaginal exams before labor? How often or at what points in labor?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would say it's a good idea to have a list of questions and keep things not very personal at first. For example I would just ask the midwife to describe a pregnancy and birth goes with her services. After getting an answer, then I'd move onto personal things out questions that could give her an idea of what you want. It's how I would attempt to avoid bait and switch.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What was your most challenging birth? Why?

What was your most difficult birth? Why?

Where and in what places have you caught babies? (IE; some midwives travel all over the world and work in many different environments)

What do you see your role is as a midwife? (Then check it against how YOU see her role as a midwife)

Are you in touch with past families that you attended? Do you have their information so I might speak with them?

Do you bring a helper or partner with you to your appointments and to your births? Can I refuse this person to be in attendance if I choose?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used this list for ideas.

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2013...-your-midwife/

I asked her transfer rate, reasons for being transferred, the types of tests she would require during my pregnancy and could i decline the gestational diabetes test, what weeks she would deliver at home, if she delivered breech, if she delivered twins, if she performed episiotomies, sutures, what she would do if i went past my due date.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I wish I had asked about her policy for coming up when "I'm not sure" how far along I am in labor. My two labors were horrible stress cases because she didn't want to waste her time if I wasn't far enough along. I should have learned from the first but... I didn't feel I had better options.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

User Tag List