How far is the hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How far is the hospital?

How far are you from the nearest hospital?

Both of my children were born at home here in the SF Bay Area so a hospital was always about 10 mins away from me. I never thought I would need one but it's always nice knowing that one is close by in case it was needed. We are moving in August to my home town in Va and the nearest hospital is 35-40 mins away. I know I'm not done having babies and I know I want them born at home but for some reason being that far from a hospital makes me nervous even though I know the chance of needing to be transferred in slim for a healthy pregnancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
35 minutes is a very long time for a distressed baby. I think your instincts are spot on.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I complete agree. 10 minutes is ok, 35...not so much.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 PM

I try to use the 30 minute rule---in most hospitals they need to be able to perform an emergency cesarean within thirty minutes, so that's the rule I used for my home birth. Can I get to a hospital that has in house anesthesia and an OB within 10-15 minutes? In places where they have integrated and collaborative care between home birth midwives and MDs in hospitals, there is usually something similar. It really stinks though, when circumstances shift though. Hard to go from what you consider an "ideal" birthing environment one to another that causes anxiety.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

Old 06-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I am about 20-25 minutes away. I have had 3 homebirths and am planning my 4th, I am not scared of the fact that the hospital is not 5 minutes away. I don't know about your area, but around here they have life flight.... so that can substantial lessen the time. I live about a block from their landing spot. And about 4 min (drive time) from the launch pad (dispatch). I believe a lot of more rural places have life flight capabilities. Maybe you can ask your local hospital.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
I am about 20-25 minutes away. I have had 3 homebirths and am planning my 4th, I am not scared of the fact that the hospital is not 5 minutes away. I don't know about your area, but around here they have life flight.... so that can substantial lessen the time. I live about a block from their landing spot. And about 4 min (drive time) from the launch pad (dispatch). I believe a lot of more rural places have life flight capabilities. Maybe you can ask your local hospital.
I know they have life flight because I know of people who have needed it because of car accidents but I'm not sure where the landing pad is. Thanks for bringing that up. I will have to look into it.

User Tag List