Evening Primrose Oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2002, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked my MW about EPO a while ago but she said she would not recommend this for me as I tend to go early (38 & 37 weeks).
At 34 weeks I was having contractions and was 2cm 50%.
Well, now I am thankfully approaching 38 weeks and am wondering if I should start taking this now? Would it be advantageous at this point? I found a website that had some great info about EPO but none of it was related to softening or ripening the cervix. Which leads me to another question, what exactly does ripe mean? I always thought of it as softening but at what point is one considered ripe?
I am drinking RRL religiously, is there anything else I should be taking?
TIA
Keri
6/14

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 11:52 AM

hI, Kerikadi, i'm a homebirth midwife & I'd be comfortable w/ you taking the EPO now. Ripening does mean softening & getting very mushy. EPO as well as flax seed oil & borage oil supports your body's prostaglandin production & therefore helps to soften your cervix. Semen, however, is probably the best cervical ripening agent that God ever made, so I suggest that my heterosexual couples make love alot (but not if they're having premature labor). If it's felt that more softneing & ripening needs to happen, you can always put the oil on an erect penis & really get some softening/priming of the cervix going on. from, karen of BirthTender in the foothills of the NC Mtns.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

"you can always put the oil on an erect penis & really get some softening/priming of the cervix going on. "

Now that sounds like a great idea! We have been using lubricant because things are really tight right now We had been told to abstain because of pre-term labor but we were given the go ahead last week I will pick up some EPO tonight!

Keri
6/14

Old 05-29-2002, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Karen,
I really appreciate your response. I picked up the EPO last night.
I took 2 gelcaps before bed and used one as lubricant with DH. I took 2 again this morning. What would you suggest the injested amount be? I don't mind taking them I just feel like my counter top is turning into a pharmacy. In the morning I take:
2 pre-nates
2 RRL capsules
1 Alfalfa
1 Calcium/Magnesium
1 Iron - my level was low at last draw
2 EPO's

I'm not used to taking this many things at once. With lunch I have 2 more pre-nates and before bed I am doing everything listed above except the iron.

What do you think?

Keri
6/14

Old 05-29-2002, 11:38 AM

Keri, i suggest 3/day to my clients. All your other stuff looks great. warmly, karen of BirthTender
Old 05-29-2002, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Karen,
I met with my midwife this afternoon and she pretty much nixed the EPO idea. She worries that moms that take EPO have really fast labors. She said she would recommend it to a mom that had a history of long labors but I don't so she doesn't want me taking it.
What are your thoughts? Has this been your experience? Do you recommend it to all of your moms?

Keri
6/14

User Tag List