1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3lilchunklins

#1 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thoughts on natural induction? Safety?

Hello!
Hopefully this won't become an issue, but I would like to hear some thoughts on natural induction techniques. What are your thoughts on the safety of it etc? Has anyone used any of these techniques effectively?
We may end up in a situation where we are living in a more remote area and no homebirth midwife (but a hospital for back up). I think I have found a midwife willing to fly in from another city for the homebirth, but she can only stay 7-10 days. She will most likely come around my due date as I am certain of the dates and haven't ever had an early baby.
But.....if she has to leave for some reason and the baby hasn't come.....well, I want to be prepared and have thought out some options.

Thanks!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I *personally* don't think induction is best. Our body will perform most optimally if allowed to progress naturally.
I don't have any experience with them but here are some options that might help-
-castor oil
-sex
-long walk

There are probably herbs, but I couldn't say which.
#3 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just my experience, not science:

I was 38w5d pregnant with twins and my midwife was going out of town. Already had some stirrings. First time mom.

Long walks (5 miles) were fantastic, but no help. Blue & Black Cohosh tincture, also no help. Maybe we tried sex, if so, no help.

What did work was castor oil. Disguisting, and what it did was on my second shot (one hour between, taken straight followed by orange juice) my body spasm-ed, spitting it out. It was gross. But in the process, my water broke (for baby A anyway).

In hindsight I'd say it wasn't a great idea. No real harm as I was close anyway, and the castor oil as I took it barely did it's job. But it set up a longer labor than maybe would have been otherwise.

Still, I had a similar reason to you and it got the job done!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#4 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Acupuncture and acupressure can both be effective, however, some babies just need extra time anyway, so it's hard to know when is the right time to induce.
#5 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The herbal options (and things like sex): from what I can tell, they don't force the body into labor before its ready, but instead help the body along to getting ready. A lot of them work by encouraging contractions (so may just cause Braxton Hicks) or by readying the cervix to open.

I would not be comfortable with any induction process that I truly believed forced the body into labor whether it was ready or not. (if it's at the point where there's serious danger if the baby isn't born- I'd rather just get a c-section than risk spending hours in artificial labor only to need one, just my opinion)

I would look into ways to help encourage your body to be ready. There are a lot of herbs that you can use, talk to your midwife. I believe Evening Primose Oil is one. If I'm remembering right, none of them are things you should start taking until around 36 weeks at the earliest and you start with a lower dose, definitely be careful and seriously talk to your midwife.

Not sure if this is relevant, but a large dose of strong red raspberry leaf tea has been used to speed labor up. From what I've heard it will be very intense, as it strengthens the contractions, so you're call on whether to use it or not. Look into how to do it properly- I'm just mentioning it because if you do go into labor late into your midwife's stay, you may want to make sure it speeds up. RRL tea is also a good thing to drink throughout pregnancy, it helps prime the muscles (it stimulates contractions- hence why it causes an intense, faster labor).

#6 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Baby spinning too. Sometimes its all about position.

You could request that the midwife sweep. your membranes to encourage labor to start. If your not ready, it won't work. Just like most all natural methods, it will only work if all is ready.
I've personally tried the EPO. I will never give birth again without it. It doesn't induce but it prepares your cervix. My labor was super quick and easy because my cervix was so ripe.
sillysapling likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used primrose oil i took two had baby less then 24 hours later completely natural and fast. I heard some women actually insert the gel capsules vaginally might do that next time I am pushing 42 weeks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page