UC suppport #4, May - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Kothos, I love this comment "well, i didn'twant to go to the hospital, and since you're so negative about midwives, i decided to just do it myself."

I don't really have an awnser to your question, but I can relate. Thankfully I have lots of supportive friends and family and most are fine with the UC plans, but the one person who is freaked out about even a midwife assisted homebirth is my dad who doesn't know I switched gears to a UC and when I talked to him on the phone and he started bringing up his concerns with homebirth and asking me about "how does it work", I was thrown off because I didin't want to tell him about our UC plans but at the same time I felt like I was lying if I didn't tell him. Like you, I just shrugged it off but it was awkward. I would love to just be honest and state that I think UC would be the most pleasurable, safest way to birth and that is what I am doing. But I am cautious about who I tell this to since I don't want any interference, judgement or negative energy directed at us during this vunerable time!

I too am concerned about what he will think if he finds out we did it alone and it was planned that way all along, but I realized that I am protecting myself and my baby right now and it is OK to just say "well, you seemed really concerned with the homebirth thing and I didn't want to hear any more negativity". I think mostly I don't want any flashbacks from being a teen/early 20's and him lecturing me about my reckless choices in life.

Juliette, due early July
dd Sabine, 5 born in birthing center
#122 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 02:10 AM

So for anyone wondering about the status of my appointments tomorrow, they have just about been officially cancelled, as I am in labor. Nice, slow, gently moving along labor, but labor all the same! Robert paged the midwives (we had some questions about how to gently help it along...OK so we'd already purchased the homeopathic blue cohosh and I'd taken a dose) and chatted with them about everything that was going on. They assured him all was normal and good (that's what I feel we're paying them for, to be our knowledge-base this time LOL), and they are cancelling the appointments tomorrow.

Whew!

I wasn't having what I would have called "normal" labor because it has been going so slow and gentle, but they said it's terrific and will probably be easier on me in the long run (as long as I can get some sleep).

So they are making up for the negativity of last week, thank goodness.

Although we'll likely call them at some point to come over, it's nice just being in labor at home (since yesterday, actually) and also out-and-about, with hubby taking care of me. It's nice to sit in my rocker, lay down in bed, walk at the park, without worrying about going somewhere, and really, without worrying about calling someone (I put off calling as long as R was comfortable with it...if we'd had someone like a mom to talk to we likely wouldn't have called yet). Except for the phone call, so far we've done this unassisted, and it really makes me excited for the next time (it really put R's mind at ease to chat with the midwife, so I'm sure he'd like one time with them here, and he's so great I want both of us to be happy) when we can go UC *all* the way.

I'll let you know more later...will they call the midwives for the birth? will the midwives get there in time since they are an hour away? or will they just call them to sign the birth certificate? Next on, How the Molly Labors...
#123 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 AM

I am sooo excited for you. WOOOOHOOOO WOOOOHOOOOO!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#124 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 03:18 AM

YAY Molly! You go girl! Relax and enjoy! Listen to your body...YOU are in control..no one else is. You are doing it and doing a great job!
#125 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 12:02 PM

klothos- I can definately empathize with how your feeling. Immediate family did know of our plans, my Dad and my grandmother didn't like it and tried to talk us out of it, my MIL (she's a bit lulu and is a special case, so not trying to scare you) threatened to call CPS on me if I didn't go in for prenatal care (this was at like 38 wks she brings this up. whatever). My other ILs just sort of minded their own bussiness and I dont' remember them really asking any questions. I really think everyone thought I was going to change my mind and run for a hospital. Well, after everything was said and done, my Dad and grandmother were just "thankful" that me and the baby were ok (why wouldn't we be) and my other ILs (FIL and his wife) were amazed and wow'ed in a good way. My FIL's wife went around bragging to everyone about my birth for a year, even MY MIL, well, like I said she was a special case : After the birth, Dh made all the phone calls and just came right out and happily announced the birth and I did it all by myself (solo UC) and everything was perfect, told them his name, etc...He did the same with people who did not know we were having a UC, let alone a homebirth, reactions were usually wow! She must be SO BRAVE! No way I could have done that with out drugs!! He just shrugged it off. So did I.

Oh there was my mother too, who was dead set against the idea and thought I had lost my mind. She still feels this way LOL, and bugs me with comments like "If I check your BP, and its elevated, then would you go see a Dr.?" Yay, this is what it is like to have a nurse for a mother. She seems to think that now that I have done "what I wanted to do" I should aquiese to "my senses" (sp?) and happily trot off to rounds of prenatals and to the hosp for a Dr. attended birth. Blech.

We're in a different state now and my poor Dad and Grandmother do not even know I am pregnant, and I feel bad about that, but if I tell Dad we're having another baby, he'll hit the roof (as if I am 14 or something), b/c we are so darn broke, b/c having kids is "getting in teh way" of me gettinga higher education, etc, etc...Oh I just don't want to hear it, you know?

Hathor - I figured it had to have been the one and the same! Your cartoons made me laugh right outloud!

Mollyellis - Labor vibes for you dear! Have fun! Yes, you ARE in control, you're doing it right now! Yay! (my last labor had a whole day of slow and gentle, so I ate, walked around, had a nap, went shopping..LOL)
#126 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 01:12 PM

"for any of you who have already had 1 (or more) UC's... how did you tell your family + care providers?"

I still don't know if my dad knows our last was a UC. He is very easily upset and very negative in general, so there's really no point in my sharing with him. And he doesn't ask. If he did, I'd be upfront with him. I've just gotten to the point where I feel like if somebody doesn't like what I'm doing, that's just too bad. I'm not responsible for making them comfortable with my life choices, and I also don't have to put up with any fear-mongering or guilt-tripping. (And I mean that literally. I don't allow people in my life who insist on doing either.) For the rest of the family I just waited until they asked, and then I said that I was planning on giving birth in privacy, without paid attendants present. I was willing to talk about why we were doing this, actually I would have loved to, but hardly anybody was interested in hearing about it. <shrug> Anyway, surprisingly I got some support from people I wasn't expecting it from, and the worriers minded their own business for the most part.

I don't have a care provider to break the news to. Both of my UCs have also been largely UPs, but I do have two midwife friends who are supportive of UC if I need any professional assistance. I *have* lied to people I thought could make trouble for me (by calling CPS,) just telling them that I have a midwife.
#127 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thinking of you Molly! Sending you gentle and joyful birthing vibes!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#128 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 02:21 PM

Yay Molly. Remember all the women before you have done this... you can do it!!! that thought is what got me through those last moments before DD's exit.

About telling people. . . I've only told people about the UC that I feel comfortable with them knowing. Others, I tell them I have a MW. I think it's good the way I've got it, so that *after* the baby is born, and he comes out perfectly, I will tel EV_ERY_ONE that he was born unassisted. But just in the odd chance that something goes wrong, the people who aren't supportive of UC, will use it as an example of how dangerous it is... and I will blame them for imparting negative birth vibes (I know how I am )
#129 of 194 Old 05-24-2004, 07:21 PM

go Molly!!

Quote:
I think mostly I don't want any flashbacks from being a teen/early 20's and him lecturing me about my reckless choices in life.
i'm 21. does this count as a reckless choice?

Quote:
I've just gotten to the point where I feel like if somebody doesn't like what I'm doing, that's just too bad. I'm not responsible for making them comfortable with my life choices, and I also don't have to put up with any fear-mongering or guilt-tripping. (And I mean that literally. I don't allow people in my life who insist on doing either.)
thank you. i think i needed to hear that.
#130 of 194 Old 05-26-2004, 04:38 AM

I went to my appointment to check the cyst, and she couldn't find it. She also said even if it was there, she wouldn't recommend having it removed, which surprised me. I am SO relieved. So it looks like the mass that I was feeling was actually the top of my uterus! I was second guessing my original thought (that it was gone) because it's up by my bellybutton even though I'm only ~11 weeks.

So now I have some decisions to make. The OB seemed to assume that I'd be continuing my prenatal care with her. I definately will not if for no other reason then because her office is WAY TOO FAR. She gave me lab slips to get a confirmatory ultrasound and a blooddraw (standard obstetric panel). I refused her offer of HIV testing and AFP. So now what? She a solo practice, so if I just don't do it/ call to make an appointment, I'm pretty sure they will notice and call me. Do I just say, "oh, my midwife ordered those and they went to their office?"

I have to admit, I'm at a point where I am a little nervous about having an UP. I'm anxious about potential backlash. I think maybe I need a few weeks to center myself again, to feel secure in my decision. Anyway... That's what happened.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#131 of 194 Old 05-26-2004, 12:50 PM

If they do call, just say, "oh, I'm sorry, there must have been a misunderstanding. I don't need obstetrical care for my pregnancy, I just wanted to have the cyst checked out. Thanks anyway!"

Backlash is a legitimate concern in a society that is sure that lack of prenatal care is a mark of negligence. My own plan is that if I have to go to the hospital I will lie and say that I've had prenatal care but at this point I am not interested in involving my midwife any further because I have directed my care and insist on taking sole responsibility for it. And I just have to hope that will be good enough. For what it's worth, most of the UC transfers I've heard about were not mistreated or threatened by hospital staff, even when they knew there was no prenatal care or birth attendant.

p.s. I'm happy for you that the cyst is no longer a worry!
#132 of 194 Old 05-26-2004, 02:39 PM

With the current wacky legal/political climate around prenatal care and obstetric care, even saying "I don't need" could be a red flag for these folks- they'll want to know where you're getting it instead. Doctors' offices have always been the nosiest places and the most secretive about their records. If you want to avoid any questions whatsoever I'd make it sound like you wanted to have the cyst checked out, and say simply that you're still interviewing OBs and will let them know when you've made a decision.

Women are facing threat of prosecution if they refuse a *cesarean!* Those of us refusing hospital birth, or birth center birth, or professionally assisted homebirth, or prenatal care, are probably going to have to be more careful for a while. At the same time we need to be more vocal about the safety of UC and other natural birth alternatives so that people get the message.

I hope that something good comes out of these dreadful cases, and that more people stop compromising with the hospitals and come home to have their babies.
#133 of 194 Old 05-26-2004, 07:59 PM

it's great about the cyst.

if it were me... i'd just tell them, "oh, thanks but i'm still considering my options..." or even be honest and say, "thank you for your consideration but honestly your office is too far for us," then follow it with some blah-blah-blah and be done.
#134 of 194 Old 05-26-2004, 08:15 PM

my dad was over today and we had a long conversation (we generally sit and talk for a couple of hours when he comes over, just about everything)... anyway right before he left...

him: so, you all set for this baby?
me: yup, everything's pretty much ready, we just have to clean up a bit more...
him: i mean, for when the baby comes? when you're having the baby? you have all the arrangements made?
me (trying to skirt the issue altogether): yeah, we're all set.
him: so... you having it at the hospital over here?
me: uhhh (thinking "oh crap, what do i say now) ~ well actually i've still been considering all my options, looking at the birth centers around here...
him: OH ~ well if I were YOU i would really consider going someplace where care would be readily available if there's an emergency situation...
me: thanks

:: sigh ::

talking with my dad about having the baby makes me more nervous than the idea of actually having the baby.

one more reason to birth at home (regardless of UC or not) ~ i found out many hospitals don't even require a trained OB on call for deliveries. so any nurse / doctor / emergency technician could just run in and catch the baby. why would anyone want to trust someone who doesn't specialize in women's health at all to be In Charge of their delivery?????? no wonder so many women have such awful birth experiences in hospitals! the people taking control of her birth don't even need to have extensive training in that field!
#135 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 01:34 AM

Klothos wrote: "i'm 21. does this count as a reckless choice? "

Well, in the eyes of my dad, it would be. I'm 27 and I guess he still has judgement and issues with all my "reckless" choices and unconventional way of life. It's just that now he isn't as overt with his concerns and realizes that he can't guilt trip me anymore.

I need to remember this Blueviolet: "I've just gotten to the point where I feel like if somebody doesn't like what I'm doing, that's just too bad." See, I usually have this attitude, but then something shifts when the subject is my UC birth plan. I get this protective urge and I don't want anyone to even say one peep to me about their fear-based concerns, even if I can confidently refute them and so therefore I have only revealed the plans to supportive people. I do like the idea of proudly informing everyone after the birth that it was unassisted and that's how we intended it!
#136 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I do like the idea of proudly informing everyone after the birth that it was unassisted and that's how we intended it!
me too... to a point.

i'm getting really nervous, with the climate of intolerance toward mother's choices in birth that's being created in our country lately...

with all of our choices as mothers and parents under scrutiny, who *wouldn't* be nervous...? that's one of the reasons i've been keeping so quiet (although, i did talk outside w/ my SO joking this afternoon after my dad left, that yeah, we'll just go out to a field, dig a hole and drop the baby in it... i think that's kind of how my dad views the idea of homebirth / birth center birth)...

there's also the CPS issue, which i'm less worried about, but still it's a concern...
#137 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 02:04 AM

I just went to www.inhishands.com on Friday & ordered a birth kit. I'm feeling so much more prepared since doing. And, I want to get everything else on my list tomorrow when I'm in a city. I'll feel like I can just relax then. I'm at 32 weeks. Wow. I think it just dawned on me. It's getting close to delivery day!
#138 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 02:14 AM

about the birth... i feel more at peace with each passing day. i've even been having peaceful birth dreams.

question about the birth kit ~ if someone is planning a lotus birth, is there any real value to the kit?

i mean... is there anything in the kit that can't be found at home? i'm looking over their list and i see stuff like plastic backed sheets (would towels, or an old shower curtain, do the trick?)... bulb syringe (already have one)... infant tape measure (how is this different from a normal seamstress tape measure?)... straws (is there something i don't know about birth?? why do you need straws?)... sterile gloves (if you wash your hands, do you really need gloves to handle your baby? when would you take them off? never?)...

and so on.

** asking because i had also considered getting a birth kit like this, but decided there was no need. you are making me think about it again...
#139 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 02:14 AM

Hey Molly, I was just thinking about you, wondering how things were going. Let us know when you can.
#140 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
about the birth... i feel more at peace with each passing day. i've even been having peaceful birth dreams. ...
Good for you abotu the peacefulness and the dreaming!

Quote:
question about the birth kit ~ if someone is planning a lotus birth, is there any real value to the kit?

i mean... is there anything in the kit that can't be found at home? i'm looking over their list and i see stuff like plastic backed sheets (would towels, or an old shower curtain, do the trick?)... bulb syringe (already have one)... infant tape measure (how is this different from a normal seamstress tape measure?)... straws (is there something i don't know about birth?? why do you need straws?)... sterile gloves (if you wash your hands, do you really need gloves to handle your baby? when would you take them off? never?)...

and so on.

** asking because i had also considered getting a birth kit like this, but decided there was no need. you are making me think about it again...
I wouldn't say necessarily the entire kit, but there are some things you might like to have from the birth kit... yes it is true you don't *need* any of it, but for me some of the things will make my life easier, so I will get them.

I had a birth kit with my midwife assisted homebirth for dd. We used, well she used, pretty much everything in it, but there are things that I dontt' need for this birth. I dontt' need the chux pads, the gloves, the ky jelly. I will just used flannel back vinyl tablecloths...they are bigger. I dont' need gloves since no one will be checking me, except me if I do that. I do want the cord clamps to make things easier, but any sterilized baby shoelace will do. I also will order the sitz bath to have for after the delivery. So I won't get the entire birth kit, just a few things.

Oh and the straws...yes I wondered about them too with my first birth, :LOL they are for your glass of water to keep you hydrated. They are the flexible kind so its easier to give you a sip when you are in a contorted position. :LOL So you can just go buy a whole bag of straws at the store if you want those...they are convenient I must say! And i have no idea about the tape measure...I guess since the one in the birth kit is paper it can be thrown away after you are finished using it---ease of clean up I suppose. Personally I would just use my sewing one!

I think you hit the nail on the head...those things aren't necessarily *needed* but some people do want to have some things. Its really up to you.

Oh and here is a cool idea that my friends and I have done for the placenta. Go to one of those make it yourself pottery places and design a bowl for your placenta. We make this part of the mom's baby shower...we all go and have a party at the pottery place, and each take turns decorating a placenta bowl. Its a great keepsake and something to use to catch the placenta in...it also make s agreat conversation piece later on at get togehters and family dinners! :LOL!
#141 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 02:40 AM

Quote:
it also make s agreat conversation piece later on at get togehters and family dinners!
:LOL "hey, cool bread bowl... does it keep the bread warm?"
"oh, no, that's not the bread bowl, that's our placenta bowl!" :LOL
#142 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 03:48 AM

I'm due in almost 5 weeks

Well, for birthing supplies, today I bought dental floss for tying off the cord
I checked my grama's food scale to see if it's accurate (enough for me) while she wasn't home and I was doing my laundry. I'm going to ask her if I can borrow it a few days before I go "ding". She'll learn afterwards what the scale was used for.

I'm thinking about giving birth again every day at least 10 times. I'm trying to get pychologicaly prepared for the "happy" pains of labour. hehehe.

<---my DD is still awake......... it's 11:45........ my back hurts..... I still have a movie to watch before I go to bed........ Arg:
#143 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 05:57 AM

question ~

how much blood is "too much" to lose?

how do i gauge how much blood i've lost after the baby's born?

i've been reading birth story after birth story (UC's) and some of them say "i bled pretty heavily" (or variations thereof) but don't actually explain how much is ok to lose, and at what point you should go to an ER...

i had read months ago something like, if you fill a postpartum sized pad in 10 minutes to under an hour (like *filled*, soaked) then you're hemmoraghing and have to get to a doctor...

but are there actual guidelines??
#144 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 09:35 AM

hey everyone,

overdue sue here. blech. i'm only 40 w. 1 day and i'm feeling so drained. please send me some labor vibes! i wanna give birth! wah!

alot of my friends and acquaintances (sp?) have given birth in the last few months, so it makes it really hard, feeling like i'm the absolute ~last~ one to pop, ya know? a friend of mine had her baby UNPLANNED UNASSISTED the day before yesterday! I read the message about her and just got depressed that it wasn't me, lol. I mean, i'm happy for her, just jealous, lol.

anyway, about the birth kit, i got a few things from that same site, but mostly things that i thought would just be convienent to have, like those stretch postpartum underwear. Those things were so comfy! I had alot of chux left over from ds's birth, and i figure old towels would work well too. I think most of the stuff in the birth kits is really pretty unneccesary.

about bleeding, i'd say you'd have to be bleeding REALLY heavily to have to go the ER. I think it's about 2 cups an hour, but i don't know what that would look like on pads or anything. We have shepards purse on hand for bleeding, but i'm not worried about it. Our bodies really do have alot of blood in them.

Well, dd wants to add a few smilies...so here goes...

: :

mother of invention, currently raising hell with four great kids, dd, 15, ds, 15, ds, 11 and ds, 8. also gestating a new wee one! due 9/29 whistling.gif

#145 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Quote:
LOL! Ok, here's my take on the birth kit: I did NOT order one for our last UC born babe. Instead of plastic backed sheets, I bought a flannel backed tablecloth. Had a bulb syringe (dh didn't know where it was, so just used a clean towel to wipe out baby's mouth, very gentle). The measuring tape is probably paper so you can quickly tear it w/o annoying squirmy baby who doesn't like being stretched out.

Now the straws... I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you get the bendable staws. In my LONG transition, I was getting dehydrated, because I didn't have the ability to lift my abnormally heavy arms. The water bottle was too much. Dh would hold the cup sometimes, but again, the heavy arms prevented me from tipping it up. It was very frustrating because I didn't want to talk to explain my problem. I think a straw would have solved the problem, and I'd have been able to get more water in me.

As for the gloves, I don't think they're necessary for the baby, but nice for squimish husbands doing cleanup of any messes. You can get a box of gloves at the drugstore for very cheap, and then keep them in the car for maintence. (My dh keeps a box in the car in case he stops to help somebody w/ car troubles.)

Although, it may be wise NOT to spend the day you are due (and not laboring) weeding your yard without gloves, getting your nails all dirty and grimy!

So get the straws, and if you don't use them, no big deal.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#146 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 01:28 PM

Gushing bleeding that doesn't stop fairly quickly is bad (an initial gush of blood is normal.) Soaking two sanitary pads in half an hour is considered bad. If you have a blood pressure cuff, a drop in blood pressure with an increase in pulse can signal hemorrhage. Personally, I never have more blood that I do with a regular period, so that is my gauge. Also how I feel. If I felt dizzy or like I was going to pass out, that would be a clear signal to me that something was not right. The first things I'd do would be to eat some placenta. Heck, I might do that anyway if I don't do a lotus birth. Some books list chills as a possible sign, but I have gotten those with every birth (intense shivering) and never even been close to a hemorrhage.

Re: birth kits, no, there's nothing in them you really need. Some people find some of the items convenient; I just consider it more garbage to have to deal with. I mean, literally. For me it's kind of a waste issue. Well, also a comfort one I guess. Things that look like they might belong in a hospital makes me edgy.
#147 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 03:11 PM

Hi Everyone,
I ordered a standard birthkit from Cascade Health which is full of the same things you are all describing and looks absolutely unnecessary. I got it for $30
and really did it because it offers dh some strange comfort. (I'm not sure he'd know what to do with any of it?)

Speaking of dh (who has STILL not read the Emergency Childbirth book I ordered him to set his mind at ease, ahem week 39, I think he is trying to get fired from my pit crew!) The other night he said something negative about risks and birth and when I called him on it he said "look, I know you don't want me to be just a yes man " Uh yeah. I think under the circumstances that is precisely his job. I've already got a friend coming to be his doula, now I'm wondering if he might not need an epidural too (perhaps twilight sleep?)! hee hee hee.

Also, Luna13mama, I'm with you on the announcing of my UC plans before the birth, I've mentioned it out loud to relatively hip, radical associates twice and both times had to endure really horrible birth stories. Although I'm usually prepared to respond with outrage at their insensitivity, I found myself just wanting to cry. and then I dwelled on it for days and it took alot of chanting to get back in a positive space. Suzanne Arms (who wrote Immaculate Deception) told me that pregnant women are like absorbant sponges, it is sooooo important to protect ourselves from negativity. I for one will be announcing my UC AFTER the fact...

Heather
:LOL
#148 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 05:30 PM

i'm sooo excited to find this uc thread (and the 4th volume too!)!!!

while i'm happy following my body's wisdom, my dh sometimes needs help to trust that this is enough. he was raised that if you can't see/measure it, it doesn't exist. so even though we're not pregnant just yet, i've started early preparing him for a homebirth, ec, ap, no vax/md's, etc. he's really open to it all, just needs to be exposed and have time to process it all. we've been planning to ttc in july, either this one or next, but i've been having some internal experiences that have me thinking that this june or july will be it. also, dh has begun nesting, though i don't think he's noticed it himself. (we're planning the month as best we can b/c we live pretty 'rustically' and need to plan labor away from the intense cold of winter and heat of summer). i can't wait to read through all 4 threads of this!! i've been led to the idea of uc since before i knew it was something that many others did on purpose.

but, i do have a question...any of you feel surges of energy, moods, hormones prior to conceiving? i feel like my body's opening & really preparing to conceive. it's pretty d*** exciting!

are there any books you would recommend? i prefer intuitive, supportive, spiritual over the medical/factual/month-by-month mainstream books.

i'm inspired just knowing that there's about 40 pages of input from amazing women to look forward to. my thanks to all of you!

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#149 of 194 Old 05-27-2004, 08:42 PM

Hathor, I can sympathize, that would drive me buggy if someone thought they should have a say in something without having previously put any thought or research into it. By the way, Emergency Childbirth was the ONLY thing my husband would read, but I had to get him going by reading some of the good parts out loud. He said he liked it because it was so to the point and practical.

Hi pinosaltos, I've also been looking for more spiritually-inclined stuff to read. Jeannine Parvati Baker? I've been reading her Prenatal Yoga and Natural Birth. Recently I've enjoyed Sarah Buckley's UC birth story: http://www.womenofspirit.asn.au/docs/sb_maias_story.txt and Ingrid Bauer's article "Birth As Sheer Pleasure": http://natural-wisdom.com/birthpleasure.htm
#150 of 194 Old 05-28-2004, 12:37 AM

Linda, Wow! Ingrid's article is amazing! It's just what I needed tonight. Thank you so much for posting that.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page