• 1 Post By Gena 22
  • 1 Post By sassyfirechick
  • 1 Post By Gena 22

#1 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Natural Birth and Twins

Hi All, I just found out at my 20 week ultrasound that we are expecting twins. I had been planning a homebirth, but now that has pretty much gone out the window.
My midwife will still attend the birth, but it has to happen in the OR and will be overseen by whatever OB is on call (some of whom are more natural birth friendly than others, obviously).
I am having trouble finding what other options I might have that are safe. I can't even figure out if my birth will actually be more high-risk (if I make it to full term). I am an otherwise low-risk woman and each twin looks completely healthy and has her own placenta and own sac.
Does anyone have information that they can share about natural birth and twins? Or a direction they can point me? Thanks so much!
#2 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The scenario you described is the safest way to have twins vaginally.
#3 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I do know of twin homebirths that were just fine. Perhaps do a search on the internet. =)
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My chiropractor delivered her twins vaginally, full term, 7 and 8lbs, I don't think at home (although not positive), but def not in an OR setting. Perhaps ask your midwife for references. I briefly talked about it once with my ND and she's said if I want to go the home birth route next time she can gladly give me contact info for some of her other clients who've done home births and would be willing to share info.
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My twins were just like yours, and we decided to have parallel care all throughout the pregnancy, and try for a homebirth if we got to full term. For us, a natural twin birth in the hospital was NOT possible. My area is very birth-unfriendly, and the local hospital had an 80% twin c/s rate. The other 20% were mostly premmies and the very occasional mom with a "proven pelvis."

Could I have fought tooth and nail, every moment to have the birth I wanted in the hospital? Maybe, just maybe. But that wasb't worth it to me. We pre-registered at the hospital and would have gone without hesitiation if necessary. Happily it wasn't! Full term, vertex-vertex, experience midwife for us = wonderful home birth.

Check out the Parenting Multiples board here. There are a few positive twin hospital stories. It's possible, but rare. Good luck!
phathui5 likes this.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies! My cnm can't attend a twin birth at home, but I'm looking at a couple of other options around here. I will check out the parenting multiples board as well, to see if I can get any information there. Right now I feel like I'm gearing myself up for a fight with the hospital, the thought of which is keeping me up at night.
#7 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If you do end up in the hospital, get all of your thoughts and wishes in writing now. I only had a single LO (DH was soooo not ready for a home birth! So midwife in hospital was the compromise!) and I went with 3 pages of contingencies and requests for just how I wanted my birth to go. My midwife took a look at it, looked at me and said "well it's a bit harsh at times, but straightforward and very up front and I know you have the personality to back it up, so I'll stand behind you on it". That was it, I had it posted on my door and attached to my chart. I got most of what I wanted, avoided the most important items I wanted to avoid and I had my DH in 100% support mode along with my midwife. I actually had more crap once transferred to the postpartum side than I did in the actual delivery. Good luck!
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, and also look for your local Moms of Multiples club. Ask around and see who liked their doctor, and anyone that had a natural twin birth. Those groups can be a great source of local info about hospitals and providers.
applejuice likes this.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I have seen lots of natural twin births in the hospital! Also lots requiring interventions. It is for sure riskier for baby B as once A is born your uterus changes dramatically which could lead to either Abruption or malposition or cord issues, which is why people typically deliver in the OR- but keep in mind that is just for pushing out the babies- not for all the laboring. Yes, twins are certainly born at home. I personally would see twins as a valid reason to change to a hospital birth, I think it is clearly riskier for babies, but also every one has their own tolerance and beliefs around risk so I wouldn't say that someone who chose to do it at home was "wrong." It's all relative and very personal, and depends on your local hospital. Don't gear up for a "fight" but certainly make your priorities clear and learn about everyone's polices, procedures, comfort levels, etc. like, some will do a breech baby B vaginally, others would never think of it. Some require you have an epidural catheter in place, even if it's not hooked up to anything. Just within my community it is all over the place.
#10 of 11 Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Cybill Shepherd had twins naturally in the hospital 27 yrs ago; she went through many doctors before she found a doctor who would even consider delivering her naturally.

My Grandmother was a fraternal twin born at home; both girls were healthy and lived to be 74.

Her daughter, my Aunt, had fraternal boy twins, her 4th and 5th babies in a very high risk teaching hospital with all of the available interventions at hand. Baby A was stillborn and Baby B was born right after him, vaginally. Baby B is a father of three of his own today.

The same Aunt has fraternal twin granddaughters who were born by c/sec because their mom had three previous deliveries that way.

Twins born at home are not unheard of if there are experienced, competent attendants to help the mom. Because twin deliveries are considered high risk, most moms go to the hospital. I do know of a very well regarded midwife, now retired, who thought she was delivering twins at home, but ended up delivering triplets! Everything was fine.
#11 of 11 Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would definitely recommend hiring a doula if you don't already have one.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page