Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vespertina

#1 of 7 Old 07-30-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What's your opinion on Harmony test?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but most value the opinion of the women who, like me, have chosen homebirth.

I am pregnant with my second child. First was delivered via a wonderful, uncomplicated homebirth over three years ago. I will be doing a homebirth again with this child, though with a different midwife as my previous HB midwife basically got run out of practice.

I was 32 at the birth of my son, and we decline all of the typical pre-natal screenings. Now I will be 36 at the birth, and the new midwife asked if I would be considering any of them, including a test called Harmony for women over 35.

Did you do a Harmony test?

I don't really know why I am even considering it. Maybe because I had a miscarriage about a year ago. Maybe because it is based off a non-invasive blood test, so it seems rather quick and easy.

During my first pregnancy, my son was 3 weeks post due, and during one of the biophysical profile u/s done in the last two weeks, the technician asked us what follow-up testing we had done on the bright spot on his heart. We went into a panic because it was the first we had heard of it. Apparently, it was seen on the 20 week fetal anatomy u/s but because it is considered an extremely soft marker, there were no other soft markers, and we had already declined screenings, our midwife did not mention it (which I am happy about, and the technician shouldn't have blabbed like that anyways). I don't want to go through that again and get all worked up over something that could mean something but most of the time means absolutely nothing. Are the results of Harmony like this? Or are they more conclusive?
#2 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I am not over 35 yet, so I am not the best person to answer. I will be 31 when this baby is born and it wont surprise me if that by 35 or after I have more babies.
I personally am not into testing for things for the most part. Primarily because in most instances nothing can be done while pregnant and no test is going to make me change my mind about keeping the baby. So to me, it just causes undue stress. =S
#3 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
My I suggest you post in the general birth forum for more experience with this test? I don't think there is anything incompatible about this test and HB but you may just not get as many HB parents who have had it - mainly because we are still a relatively small minority of birthing women.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I had maternity 21 & was planning a home birth. I didn't get it but that's another story entirely. Maternity 21 is a similar test, and I was comfortable with the accuracy when I took it. It is ~99% accurate in detecting aneuplodies. It actually made me more comfortable in my decision to pursue a home birth.
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2014, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who had the testing done and was told that it would be billed to her insurance. The insurance sent her a check for a tiny portion of it. Now, she's stuck with the $1300 remainder of the lab bill.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#6 of 7 Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm planning a homebirth again. I had the first trimester screening last time. This time I opted for the Harmony. It was done at 10 weeks, and I received my results, the risk assessment, about 11 days later. My first son had Ds, and died from heart complications. So it was imperative that I know my risks, have as much information as possible so we can prepare and hopefully rule out the more serious complications.

Most insurances cover it if you're high risk, and if they don't, the max the patient has to pay is between $200-250. They bill the insurance the full cost, but if the insurance doesn't pay it then the patient is billed a very reduced fee. This has been discussed a lot in various due date groups I'm in.
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#7 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I avoided all testing with my first pregnancy because I was concerned about the anxiety and uncertainty that they all offered (I really didn't want to be in a position of getting an "iffy" result and then having to go for follow-up testing weeks later). With my current pregnancy, I'm older and my hubby is older, so I was a little more easily sold, and it was my impression that the Harmony test would be more of a "yes" or "no" result, but after I got the blood draw I did a Google search and found a lot of women who got in-between results that meant they had to follow-up, or just spent weeks or months questioning things. I did get a definitive (fine) result, but given the other possibilities I'm not sure if I would do it again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page