Homebirth Mama's Thread....May 18th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2004, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lucca's Birth 5-21-04

I went on the 20th (2:45pm) to my appointment with my midwife, Ann. I asked her to strip my membranes. the baby

had dropped down 2 cenimeters that morning. on my drive home i started feeling crampy. when i got home it was 4:30pm. i

picked up a few things around the house and got out my canvas and paints to paint a picture for my midwife. my back hurt

and i was cramping in what seemed to be a pretty regular pattern, though i wasnt timing because i was too busy trying to

keep the kids entertained so i could paint...dont ask me what i was thinking! LOL
I called Gabe at 5pm to ask him to come home because I thought labor was starting and I was having a tough time

dealing with the kids. He got home about an hour later and i asked him to feed the kids because i was leaving to go down

the street to a friend of mine's house so she could time my rushes for me. i walked down to her house, definantly

noticing the rushes, but they didnt really hurt, just were uncomfortable. i stayed at my friend's house till about 8pm

and she timed my rushes, they were about 15 sec long and about 1 1/2 minutes apart. i called my midwife and told her and

she told me to try and sleep.
i went home and took a bath which made almost unable to feel the rushes, although they were still happening. i

got out of the bath and laid down in my room trying to rest, but could not- i was too uncomfortable. at 10pm i asked Gabe to put the kids down so he could come time the rushes for me. He timed them from about 10:30 till 11:30, when he fell asleep... During his timing they were 2-3 minutes apart lasting 35-45 seconds. i was able to talk through them, but

preferred not to. after he fell asleep i started timing them myself-- i was obsessed with timing them because i was

afraid for some reason this wasnt really labor and i didnt want to call my midwife out to the house unless it was. i

timed from 12-1am and they were every 2 minutes for im not sure how long because i couldnt concentrated on timing

them!!!
Since Gabe was sleeping i started to get tense and i knew i needed some support and i knew he was going to keep

falling back asleep. so i called two of my girlfriends over to keep me company. they were so great! we were having tons

of fun, listening to music and cracking jokes in between contrations.my midwife and her assistant finally came at around

3 or 4 am , and Ann checked me. i was at 4 cm! i was very pleased that this was the real thing and i was progressing.

however Ann checked me during a rush (on purpose) and it hurt like hell!! it felt like buring hot pokers being shoved

into me..
Ann said "ok, time to start walking!" so around the nieghborhood we went at like 430am.. strange people are out

at such odd hours! im sure we were a group of the strangest, 4 woman one of them hugely pregnant and making all this

ruckus. at first i was still trying to walk through the rushes, but i definantly couldnt talk and i had to close my eyes

and hold hands with Ann and one of my friends so i wouldn't walk into anything, but by about halfway through i was

moaning and stopping during each rush to grab and lean on the nearest shoulder. we were still having alot of fun between

rushes and i was laughing so much my face hurt. we walked for a hour and them Ann finally let me go back inside to get

in my birth pool.
horray! it felt heavenly! i stayed in there for hours sighing and moaning through the rushes. the pool made it

so easy to shift positions, even during a rush. finally sometime after sunrise i asked Ann to check me . i hurt worse

than the first time! i was 7-8. i decided to labor for a while on the bed while everyone dozed, including me (during

rushes that is!) it was so strange because i totally fell asleep during the breaks, and it felt lke i still in the pool,

floating and that i was sleeping for 30 mins at a time. but when the next rush would come I'd be aware that the same

song was still playing.
i got back in to pool for a while and at this point my water still hadnt broken..Ann said if it didnt break by

10am she could break it. i agreed and at ten she broke it. immeadiatly i could feel the difference in the rushes. there

was a sharpness, an edge that wasnt there before. at the peak of each rush my vocalizations got high pitched and i felt

like i was losing the calm from the rest of the labor.
i got back in the pool but it was still very intese i was feeling like an insaine fish, thrashing around the

pool. An hour after my water broke i asked Ann to check me again, and she did. she said i was 10, but there was a

swollen cervical lip in front and it was from the forward leaning positions i kept gravitating too. she asked me to try

squatting outside the pool which i did. i tryed about 3 rushes like this and then she checked again, still there. she

she said i needed to lay on the bed flat on my bak so she could push the lip out of the way while i pushed.
this next part was tourture. while she had me pushing she had her hand inside me and it HURT SO BAD. i could

keep any measure of control. i was thrashing and screaming and cussing. i felt like a tornado. i remember screaming at

her to that her "f&%$ing hands were driving me nuts!" when the lip was gone i was told to really push, but i was

screaming to hard so Ann said , "stop screaming and push!" (nicely) so i took this opportunity to bite the hell out of

my upper arm and brear down. Ann said "good! i can see the head!" i felt the imeanse size and weight and pressure of the

head and was blown away. i said "this isnt going to work!" and she said "it is working!" so i pushed .
the head crowned on the same contration and i was screaming SO LOUD. i thought the walls would break from my

screams. they said "Stop pushing, are you even having a contration" i said " i dont f^%$ing care if i am!!!" and i

pushed her right out in the next breath! Ann put her on my tummy, i could hear Kiryn shouting "our baby, look our baby!"
she hardly cried just a little cry then she closed her eyes and took a little nap. she was very pink and COATED in tons

of vernix. she was so cheesy!!
Lucca was born at 11:45 am, and was 19 1/4 inches long and 6 pounds 4 oz. she has dark hair and the softest

skin. i am in love!!
my birth was different than i imagined it, but was great none the less, and afterwords i kept saying " i did it,

i had a homebith!!"

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ooh! Good to know Kimber! I'll be in and out fast if I have to go. But, I am planning on staying home...isn't that always the plan though?

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:46 PM

Congratulations LIz and welcome Lucca!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:51 PM

FYI, having just about THE longest labor in the history of labors. Ugh. Midwives are at lunch right now and we're supposed to get all in synch and working well togther while they are gone. But they won't let me get in the birth pool again until 8 cm.

I'm 6 cm now, at last, it's Tuesdayand I haven't slept any more than 5 minutes at a time since Sunday. Ugh.

This is HARD.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:46 PM

oh molly, you can do it!!! you ARE doing it! Your baby will be so worth it. i will light a candle for you and know you will be looking into your sweet baby's eyes so soon!

liz, CONGRATS on Lucca's birth! It sounds like a really fun time (excpet for the part with the lip at the end). Way to go mama!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 05-26-2004, 12:02 AM

I'd like to join you! My name is Kathy, and we've recently discovered that we're expecting our second baby in late January. Our daughter was born at home in July 2002, and we had such a wonderful experience that we cannot imagine doing it any other way this time around!

My birthstory can be found on my website, if anyone is interested
Old 05-26-2004, 12:08 AM

Hi, I just wanted to say congrats to Liz! What a great story, I'm glad I've been checking in on this thread! enjoy your babymoon, as you know it flies by. . .

sending labor vibes your way, molly!

namaste.gif

Old 05-27-2004, 12:43 AM

molly, are you holding your little sweetie????

Old 05-27-2004, 01:50 AM

Go Molly, Go

Liz, Congrats!

Kathy, welcome!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Old 05-29-2004, 01:08 PM

Hi all. I wanted to jump in here and get in on this great conversation. I am Vicki in Bloomington, Indiana. I have a 4.5 year old son and a daughter who just turned 2 and is suddenly a very accomplished whiner. I'm 26 weeks pregnant with #3 - who I'm sure is a boy though I have no "scientific proof".

My son was born in the local hospital and although nothing went "wrong" and it was all adequate and acceptable (and actually I was glad to recuperate there for 2 days, just not glad to give birth there) I was very, very eager to have my second at home. That went beautifully and so the plan is to have #3 at home (different home!) with the same wonderful midwife. Of course, she'll be on vacation during my whole 38th week, so I may use her backup instead, but Anne was there when my daughter was born, so that's ok too.

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello everyone...today is my due date! I don't think it's happening today, though. I'm actually looking forward to all the moronic comments I'm sure to get! Opportunities for education...or just for saying "No, you're wrong!" :LOL
Old 05-29-2004, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
Hello everyone...today is my due date! I don't think it's happening today, though. I'm actually looking forward to all the moronic comments I'm sure to get! Opportunities for education...or just for saying "No, you're wrong!" :LOL
Ooh! Ooh! Me first!!! You mean you STILL haven't had that baby??? They really should induce you, no woman should be pregnant for more than 40 weeks! :LOL

Happy Guess Date to you Grease!!!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:49 PM

:LOL: Same here, Greaseball! I'd send you some labor vibes, but I'm kinda hording them for myself at this point.

warmly,
claudia
Old 05-29-2004, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I'd send you some labor vibes, but I'm kinda hording them for myself at this point.

:
Me too...

DS 6 DD 8
Old 05-30-2004, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
labor vibes for all that need them!!!!!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Old 05-31-2004, 02:01 AM

look what i found... it looks like molly had her baby!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...45#post1521645
Old 06-01-2004, 02:52 PM

hello everyone!

i hope no one has bad feelings towards me for going away for so long.

what is up? who has had their babes! it is so exciting to be this close.

i am well. ds still nursing away i am due in 16 days. last night the mws said she is fully engaged and i am dialating. i hope she is early but who knows.

i just want to say hi and wish you all beautiful baby moons, births , and pregnancies!

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 06-02-2004, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had a midwife appointment tonight. I now have high blood pressure(140/86) and higher protien in the urine test (one above trace, where it usually is) So for a few days, I'm supposed to take it easy & see if theres any difference. I'm borrowing my moms blood pressure cuff, and she's taking Roland for the day tomorrow. Kevin is *also* taking the day off, to see if he can start parental leave early, or if he can go on regular EI & then switch when the baby is born. I hope my blood pressure is fine tomorrow... Kevin & I had fish & chips for dinner before going to the midwives, and had a bank appointment. I'm not very happy about being seperated from Roland over this... these are supposed to be our last few weeks together one on one!! At least he'll be with my mom... he won't be missing me.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:37 AM

I haven't been posting much, although I have been reading. I am 'officially' overdue now, 42w1d. Late even for me :-) Feeling great though, and baby is moving a lot, so not worried about it at all. Yesterday I had quite some contractions, but today they were gone again. Oh well, it will happen some day :-) Hopefully soon :-)

Karen
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 AM

Hey all. Does anyone remember when Doula Sarah is due?

I'm wondering how she's doing????

Abby
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 PM

I *think* her EDD is in about a week or two, but I don't remember for sure (I wanted to hire her to be my doula, but she couldn't 'cause she's expecting soon after me).

I bet she's busy with her kids and her DH.

DS 6 DD 8
Old 06-03-2004, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DH is officially home FULL TIME!!! His work is writing up his ROE, and he's dealing with the Employment Office tommorow. This is *such* a relief to me... I didn't like the idea of Roland spending most/all of his waking hours at my moms house. He loves being there... but I'd miss him too much!

My blood pressure was higher today (as high as 160/98 in the afternoon) even though I wasn't taking care of Roland, and was being lazy. Still, it was a stressful day waiting for test results & waiting for the work situation to be straightened out. I'm hoping it'll be lower tomorrow. Apparently a cucumber a day keeps high blood pressure away, so I'll be eating lots of that, and the midwife suggested to pick up tincture of hops from the health foods store. It's not evidence based... but I don't really care. So what if it's just a placebo effect that helps bring the pressure down?!

I'm doing laundry... thats it. I figure folding on the couch isn't to strenuous, and I might feel productive enough not to feel too guilty about not keeping up with everything else...

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On Tuesday night I was lying in bed thinking about shoes. My feet had swollen so much none of my shoes would fit, and I wasn't able to go anywhere because of it. Dh went and got me some flip-flops in a size larger, and they were still too narrow, so he took them back and got me a new pair. They hurt my feet, and I didn't want to send him running back and forth for more, so I said I'd take them back tomorrow. So I was thinking, how is this gong to work? I have to wear the shoes to the store, try on others and not let them see me cutting the elastic so I can actually walk in the shoes, and then attempt to return the shoes I had just worn into the store? No, forget it, I'll just stay home until I have the baby and the swelling stops. Then right at midnight my water broke!

I figured I could call the midwives in the morning. I told dh, and he said "But don't you want to call now and give them a heads-up?" I told him no; often contractions don't start until several hours later. But then in 15 minutes they came every 3 minutes apart and were very intense. I called, and was told to try and sleep for as long as I could. 2 hours later they were every minute apart and very painful; I had not been able to sleep at all. The midwives came over.

The contractions continued to be every minute apart and they were excruciating. The midwives offered to check my cervix. I agreed and they said it was almost 7 cm but not all the way effaced. They did say the baby was LOA but that it might not have been the best position for it; it's not the ideal for all moms and babies. So for hours I walked around and sat in the bathtub. I was miserable because I hadn't been able to sleep. I kept asking them if there was something they could give me that would stop labor and let me sleep so I could start all over again later. They said there was nothing.

Finally, 8 hours later I got an urge to push. I was 10 cm but the head was still not well applied, they said. They offered to stretch the cervix over the head while I pushed, and I declined because I heard that is really painful. So I pushed every time I felt an urge. With Linda I never experienced that urge, so it was nice to have completely involuntary pushing. But after an hour I started to get discouraged. I kept remembering that part in What to Expect where it says "Second babies often pop out in a matter of minutes, not hours." I thought the whole labor would only last 6 to 8 hours. I kept alternating positions - walking, standing, kneeling, just about everything. I pushed for another hour with no progress. They said the baby was caught on the pubic bone, and that pushing on my back or in a reclining position with a lot of hands-on interference might actually be more effective. I agreed to give it a try. Them stretching the cervix over the head actually wasn't that bad. They had me push for awhile while semi-reclining in a chair while they stretched the cervix, held the pubic bone up, and pushed on the fundus. All that actually helped the urges get stronger. I kept alternating between that position, lying on my back on the floor and pulling my knees up, side-lying, and supported standing squatting. Lying on my back actually brought on the most progress!

But we were going on 3 hours of pushing and I was growing more discouraged. I kept telling them I didn't think this was normal for a second-time mom. I even asked for an episiotomy so they could just reach in and pull the baby out! Luckily they flat-out refused. I asked again and again for some kind of magic thing to stop labor and put me to sleep. I asked if I could take several OTC sleeping pills. I asked if they could use our salad tongs as forceps and get this whole thing over with. The heart rate was fine through everything, but I was actually wishing the baby would be distressed so then I could go to the hospital and have a c-section with general anesthesia and get to SLEEP! I also considered going so I could get an epidural. I figured, I've already had one unmedicated birth; why do I need two? Or I thought maybe I could go in just long enough for them to use the vacuum extractor and then go straight home, and maybe we would even still tell people we did the home birth. Or I thought maybe we could call the paramedics and perhaps they could use a VE in the home setting.

But there was nothing left for me to do but continue what we had been doing. I pushed on my back some more, and the head was just about crowning. I looked in the mirror...but the first thing I saw was that I had grown some extra part! My "urethral pad" had swollen very big. I didn't even know such a thing existed. At all times there were 8 fingers in my vagina, dh pushing on the fundus and another arm pushing the pubic bone down. Finally I pushed in a deep squat and the head popped out after a total of 5 hours of pushing! The shoulders were stuck, so I was flipped to hands and knees and they were free in about 2 minutes. Then the rest of the baby. I had no tearing. They didn't tell us the gender; we told them. Another girl, 8 lbs 9 oz and 21 inches. 14.5 inch head and 15 inch shoulders. We named her Andrea Zoe.

The placenta stayed in for an hour. Andrea didn't nurse right away the way Linda did, so maybe that was why. I wanted to just let it fall out, but I was still having painful contractions so I let them yank it out. The cord had stopped pulsing, and luckily it all came out in one piece, but I was surprised at how much it hurt.

I was discouraged because I had done everything right and still had a painful, difficult birth. The whole thing took only 14 hours, in contrast with Linda's 38 hour ordeal, but it was just as painful and I had to work even harder. Maybe it was because it started with rupture of membranes; I hear that makes everything a lot more intense. But I was really glad the midwives never gave up on me, never hinted that something wasn't normal, and never suggested the hospital. They just kept telling me to keep doing what I was doing.

Afterwards I felt much more tired and sore than I did with Linda. My labia are swollen to the size of testicles; I look like some kind of hermaphrodite! My pubic bone and tailbone are sore, and it hurts to walk. It takes a long time to get up out of a chair, and I don't trust myself to carry the baby up the stairs. So I'll just be resting a lot and soaking in my herbal sitz bath.

But I'm still glad it all worked out. The baby is doing fine, and this was a second generation homebirth! Now I just have to convince Linda and Andrea to have homebirths...
Old 06-03-2004, 03:37 PM

Greaseball, I'm crying! Very inspirational story. Hope you feel better soon.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 06-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Welcome to the world Andrea!

Way to go Mom! I admire your strength and courage to make it through such a difficult labor.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:46 PM

Congratulations!!

I'm sorry it was so hard, you did such a great job!!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 06-03-2004, 03:55 PM

Congratulations and way to go mama!! And welcome to sweet Andrea!! You did an awesome job Greaseball and I *really* appreciate you telling us the whole story. I think it is helpful to hear about all kinds of births and know that all kinds can be normal. You did a wonderful job!!

Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 PM

Congratulations! Reminds me how much I want a hb!
Welcome to Andrea and congrats to Linda, new big sister!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Awwww sweetie!! You did an AWESOME JOB! Im so glad you did what you had to do to get the job done! You did a WONDERFUL JOB!!

User Tag List