Homebirth Mama's Thread....May 18th - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations on your sweet little baby! I hope your swelling goes down quickly!
#92 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new baby girl! Sorry you were disappointed with the labor, but you really did do a great job. Pretty name, too!

Cracked me up with "I kept asking them if there was something they could give me that would stop labor and let me sleep so I could start all over again later" and the salad tongs comment! :LOL Poor thing. I feel your pain! my last labor was great, but OH MAN did I hurt afterwards.

What does big sis think of her??

Hope you are soon feeling better & enjoying your new little one.
#93 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 03:44 PM

Congratulations! Yeah!
#94 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When Linda came home she was so interested in the baby scale she hardly noticed the baby! But now she asks "Go see baby?" and then says "It's a nice baby." She calls her "sister baby"; I guess she can't say Andrea!

We originally wanted to have her there for the birth but I'm glad we didn't. Her grandparents picked her up in the morning and kept her all day. We had someone ready to stay with her at our place, but I knew she would demand our attention anyway and I also wanted the house to stay uncluttered. Of course, it didn't, because of all the drop cloths, pillows, ice packs, water glasses, etc. all over the living room, and I didn't care anyway! And I don't think it would have been good for her to see a birth that was so managed. I thought I would be very disappointed if she could not be there but I'm not.

I'm so glad I have one of those helpful dh's and not the kind who fall asleep during labor or who don't want to watch! (I mean, that's fine if it works for you, but I wanted him to be as involved as I was!) He was getting really tired with supporting me in the standing squats; we were walking in circles around the living room and I would push at the same 2 spots in the circle, and he would support my entire weight (I had gained 50 lbs). I could feel his arms shaking but he never complained. And he still remembered to take out the garbage and feed the chickens!

It's also good to know that just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it can't be at home. With Linda, I had a list of everything I had done wrong - let them rupture membranes at 6 cm, stayed on my back in bed, pushed without an urge to, started seeing an obstetrician in the first place - but I really have no explanation for why this one was so difficult. Maybe some people just don't have easy births, and that's OK too.
#95 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 03:57 PM

Greaseball take some homeopathic Arnica, it will rally help the swelling and won't hurt the baby. It will actually help her too. Poor little head must hurt from all that! You did a wonderful job. I would want to give up. Hard work!!!!!! You rock!
#96 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 04:09 PM

Yes, her face is fairly swollen and her head has some "dents" where she caught on the bones. Linda had facial bruising for a week from forceps. So it will be interesting to see what she looks like in a few days! She also appears to have brown hair; dh and I are dark blond and Linda is white-blond. But when I was born I had dark brown hair which then fell out and I was bald for most of my 1st year, then grew blond hair. Dh was a redhead as a kid. But now Andrea's hair is still kind of sticky with vernix, so I don't know what it will look like either.

They did give me some arnica, and some herbs for a sitz bath that are supposed to help with swelling. It does feel like it's gone down a bit. I don't want to look because it's just too scary, but it doesn't feel like I've got golf balls down there now!
#97 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 PM

I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

I loved your birthstory, told in a typical Greasball fashion, awesome!
#98 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 05:39 PM

Congratulations greaseball! You can really be proud of yourself. Some friends of mine said it wasn't until their third and fourth kids that they believed in women who have "easy" births.

We finally had our home visit. It was lovely and lots of laughing and warm friendliness. My midwife and husband had not met yet, so it was a relief to have it done, too, and go so well. Our doors and halls are also wide enough for her wheelchair so that was a relief too. The little things to have checked off, you know?

While I advise my doula clients to avoid internal exams because they don't really tell you anything, I have had two now! But I trust the midwives and it's true, it's different when everyone is on the same page. No one would base decisions on "progress" or lack thereof, etc. Her thinking is because I had a fast labor with my daughter it would be good to know if I was starting labor at 2 or 6. I also had no internal exams with my daughter so it is interesting. I am 90% effaced, still posterior, at least 2, but the assistant's fingers were too short to reach due to the posterior position. But moving right along. Also the babies head is "at least" plus-one! So they kind of expect the baby just to fall out when I dilate. And I know I am not crazy; those electric pains on the inside of my pelvic bones that feel like a skull grinding on my inner pelvis are due to a skull, grinding on my inner pelvis. Pretty cool. But I am now past the point at which I had my daughter! I expected to be worried about this one coming *too* early, and now I am only 38 weeks and yet already thinking, hey, where is it? shouldn't it have started by now?
#99 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 06:27 PM

Congrats Greaseball!!!
Sorry about the new testicles.

DS 6 DD 8
#100 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 07:19 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Amazing story! I'm now off to go look up 'urethral pad' .

Sorry about the testicles. After ds's birth, I got to know a bag of frozen peas rather intimately . I can remember getting into the shower and gasping when I reached to wash myself. Was I inside out? The nurse called from the other room "Yes, that is yours and don't worry, it *will* go back!" :

Again, congrats and enjoy your babymoon!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#101 of 116 Old 06-03-2004, 09:36 PM

Hi Greaseball. Congratulations! When I had DD2 (my 4th), I was very disappointed that I didn't go into labor early (the 4th!), and during the labor (which was in a hospital but very non-intervention) I kept asking DH to "please help me", meaning MAKE THIS STOP. What I kept thinking was, I'd take street drugs if someone would offer them. This particular thought still shocks me!!

I had inner and outer labial tears, and I was ready to....die by the fifth day. But then it started to get better. At least you don't have stitches to bother you.

Best wishes for all.
#102 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 02:00 AM

Congrats, Greaseball! Sounds like you went way beyond what you
*thought* you could do--how empowering! I hope things are settling back down/in/around.....Give her a kiss for us.....yummy newborn scent....

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#103 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 11:50 AM

Thank you Greaseball! And LizD!

I also wondered (mightily!) why it was harder to push out #2 than #1. And it's not just WTEWYE that says that second babies are usually easier. There are other more reliable sources that say that as well. I have been determined to just relax more this time-wait for the urge to push, other things like you talked about Greaseball, and also HOPE and PRAY that this one is easier to push out.

And DEFINITELY take that homeopathic arnica. I could not sit down or stand up for some time (at least a couple of weeks) with my first and finally took the arnica out of desperation, it worked miracles in just a few hours. Of course, your mileage may vary-but for $5 and no side effects it is definitely worth a try!

Congratulations on the birth of Andrea!

Rochelle
Mommy to Meg 5/00, Peter 6/02, #3 due 8/04
#104 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 01:32 PM

I was thinking maybe getting drunk would help. Dh and I are non-drinkers, so good thing there was none in the house!

Walking is getting easier now, and I think the swelling is going down. Everything is settling into place...now we're just trying to get co-sleeping working out. I didn't do it with #1 except in the hospital. Andrea likes to sleep propped in one of my arms rather than lying flat on the bed, but when we sleep like that it gets too hot for me. Dh just puts her in the carseat by his bed (we sleep separately) and she seems to like that better because she can be propped and cradled. So maybe actual bed-sharing won't work, but at least she can still be in the room.
#105 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 04:11 PM

Hee hee...FIL just called and asked if I had any reservations about the "procedure I went through with the midwife". :LOL He also said he thought I was incredibly lucky, but he wasn't going to get into that now...

I don't get it - he was born in 1930, so there is a good chance it was at home.

Oh well - I knew not everyone would be supportive. Our next door neighbor said it was scary.
#106 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 04:41 PM

DS 6 DD 8
#107 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 05:38 PM

congratulations, greaseball!

i'm sorry it was so hard on you. i swelled up like that too, after i had my son. s
#108 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 07:25 PM

Congrats Greaseball and welcome Andrea.

Thank you for sharing your story - I love hearing about labour and you certainly did that. It always amazes me the people that pop out babies and barely notice their contractions. That does not exist in my world. For me the worst part is that the people I know like that have very medical births anyway because the nurses at the hospitals need to DO something.
#109 of 116 Old 06-04-2004, 07:36 PM

Awww...Congrats!! You should be so proud of yourself!! I, too, had an non-interventional birth, and it was awesome!! Go mama!!

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#110 of 116 Old 06-05-2004, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I spent 1/2 the day in the hospital today, getting a non stress test, and blood work donw. My blood pressure has been higher, and the midwives wanted to check it out. Some of the levels in my blood indicate that my kidneys are starting to have some trouble, so I'm basically on bedrest. I can get up to eat & use the bathroom (I'm just spending 10 minutes at the computer & then laying back down) Apparently, doing stuff like folding the laundry & getting the carseat ready from the couch don't count as rest?! I'm 37 1/2 weeks, so this can only go on so long...

I've got another non stress test on Sunday. My mom is going to watch Roland so that Kevin can be with me (they just dropped me off today... it was kind of lonely) Kevin is doing everything around here in the meantime. I'm so glad he started his leave early!!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#111 of 116 Old 06-05-2004, 11:46 AM

HomebirthHarriett
- Thinking of you!!! I have never been able to figure out how a mom of 1+ is supposed to handle bedrest. I'm so glad that you have the support to do it and let little one stay in as long as needed.
#112 of 116 Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 AM

Congratulations, Greaseball and family.

About this labor being more painful than expected - it may make more sense to you when you start to see Andrea's personality contrasted with Linda's. It is interesting to me that my first child's labor and birth were very worrisome and he is a worrier. My second baby felt like I was trying to shoot a flaming bowling ball from my vagina. She is a fiery and sassy redhead. My third birth was the quietest and most gentle. His personality is fitting the bill so far.

Also, I didn't cosleep 100% until my kids were past the two month mark. Remember, cosleeping doesn't have to be in the same bed. There are folks (uh, me) who believe being in the same room is very beneficial. I don't think it *has* to be the same bed to count.

I hope the swelling goes away very soon and you are feeling well and baby and family are happy and healthy.
#113 of 116 Old 06-07-2004, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
My second baby felt like I was trying to shoot a flaming bowling ball from my vagina. She is a fiery and sassy redhead.
That is a brilliant choice of words!
#114 of 116 Old 06-07-2004, 01:33 AM

Congratulations! Welcome little Andrea

I just wanted to also suggest taking some chloraphyll. They have mint flavored available. It will work wonders for you and little Andrea's bruising. Helps with the bleeding too!

~Earthmama
#115 of 116 Old 06-07-2004, 04:44 PM

would anyone mind if we "restarted" this thread? i'm find it a little unwieldy to find the last post i've read.
#116 of 116 Old 06-09-2004, 05:44 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page