Worried about Risking Out - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 12-04-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Worried about Risking Out

Ive beeb with my home birth midwife since i was 7/8 weeks pregnant. Im now at 37 + 3.

The last few weeks my blood pressure is creeping up. The week it started (and basically since) I've been worried (some days totally melting down about it) that I'll risk out and need to deliver in the hospital. I'm not there quite yet, but pretty close.

I've had all the urine tests/blood work and do not have pre-eclampsia. My midwife says this is a sign labor is near (she thinks next week) mixed with an emotional response.

She has me on bed rest. Not literal 100% bed rest but stay in bed or on the couch as much as possible and sleeping and relaxing. If i want to go for a walk or do some yoga, okay, but no errands/chores, etc. Ive also been getting acupuncture and massage.

The resting is causing tension with my husband. I have all this "baby/birth stuff" to do and i need his help with and he's really stressed too and tells me he needs to take care of himself too. He tells me to go relax but then he just relaxes too and nothing gets done. The laundry hasnt been done in weeks now and i need clean sheets/towels for the birth plus none of the baby clothes and sheets have been washed.

Anyway tension is high in our relationship and we've been fighting a lot which just makes me cry and worry how I'll handle this stuff and a newborn baby if this is how things are going now.

Any advice? Just had to get this all out so if you read this thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had two homebirths and with both my blood pressure started to creep up at the end. I still remained in the safe zone though. I also did acupuncture. The thing that I credit with keeping my blood pressure in check is the soup my midwife told me to eat. Basically lots of onions(3), garlic,and other veggies. Also I did a bit of meditation and deep breathing (especially when you are having your blood pressure tested). I know it seems hard but take care of yourself, eat well, rest well, stay hydrated. Throw a load of laundry in and just breathe. Men are funny, they get so stressed and worthless at times. Don't let his current helplessness make you feel stressed. You and your new baby will be fine. And there will always be more laundry

Also do not be hesitant to ask people to help you. Pregnant ladies and mommas should accept all the help they can get. We are social creatures who depend on each other to survive.

Good luck
#3 of 8 Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Try the free hypnobabies relaxation track https://www.hypnobabies.com/free-mp3 , learn it and use those techniques right before your bp gets checked. I would do that whenever I felt my bp rising or I checked it and found it high, after doing self hypnosis I'd register much lower. How high is it getting anyway? If I were often going over like 140/80 I'd be strict about the bedrest but otherwise only relax if I felt funny like it was spiking right then. Automatic digital bp cuffs are available in the drugstore or walmart if you want to self monitor.
#4 of 8 Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Bp was always low (100-120/60-75) than 2 weeks ago it was in the high 120s over high 80s at my appt. I bought a cuff and was using it everyday the week of Thanksgiving. It was in the mid 120s/mid 70s at home alone, but with the midwife i had a major meltdown and it was high 130s/high 80s at her visit. She told me to stop taking it and thinking about it for a few days.

Last Tuesday it was 138/80 at her office, then a few hours later 118/68 at my chiropractor (prior to the acupuncture even, we had only talked before she took it). Midwife said go back to monitoring at home daily and rest from now on. She ran blood work which was all normal.

I was feeling good after the chiro visit and it being so low and was contributing the higher reading to a hot bath I took prior to the appointment. Well then hubby and i had an awful fight, i lost sleep that night and since it has been 130s/80s at home.

I rested the last few days but today was the fist day i actually felt relaxed. I've mainly been laying around worried, lonely and crying.

This morning i got 131/82. I've been relaxing all day and feel good now but tired. Hubby and i had a good day together and even went out for dinner (just a 5 min drive away). First time I've left the house since Tuesday.

Thanks for the hypnobabies track. I've been doing the peaceful sleep one and the baby stay in one and like them both.

How so i make the soup? I usually eat a lot of onions, garlic, etc usually but my appetite hasnt been great lately and I've been eating lighter. Lentil soups, scrambled eggs, fruit and salads.
#5 of 8 Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The soup is made with the following:

1 bulb garlic (and yes I mean the whole bulb) cut coarsely
1 red onion
1 white onion
1 yellow onion
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup carrots
1 cup spinach
1 cup broccoli
1 cup cabbage (shredded)
1 cup yellow squash
1 cup zuchinni
2 cups tomatos

The first 4 ingredients (garlic and onions) are not optional, though you can use 3 onions of the same type, but I like all the different flavors better.
#6 of 8 Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, it sounds delicious.
#7 of 8 Old 12-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I second hypnobabies, used it with my second and it was amazing.

As for the cleaning, we hired someone to do our floors and bathroom after ds was born. The domestic issues were causing too many problems and even though we're not at all rich we just needed to throw some money at the problem, which helped immensely. Is your mother near by? My mom was indispensable when my first was born. My MIL wasn't very helpful at all, just wanted to hold the baby and make me feel guilty if i wanted to hold him! Your own mother can be very helpful in this type of situation.
#8 of 8 Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Viola. Good ideas!

A woman i work with told me to never fight with my husband over cleaning because it's something you can pay someone else to do! We had a cleaning person for the past 4 years but we fired them when i got preggo. I didnt want to pay for them with all the expenses of the baby, birth, daycare, etc. We have a tiny place and figured i would handle it myself since i was the one doing all the "pre-cleaning" anway. Probably this wasnt the best decision!

Mom is close and offers to come help but so far haven't had her yet because i feel weird about it when i am supposed to be resting all day. I am thinking later in the week will work.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page