UC Support Thread #5, June - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 244 Old 06-18-2004, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks indigolilybear! I was going to add that I've had rescue remedy in my cupboard for a long time, and it will finally get some use. I bought motherwort tincture today, that is supposed to be good to calm down, and decrease the intensity of contractions. I have an Enya cd that I might use. My partner is very into music, so maybe I can get him to download and burn a bunch more music for me. I read that you liked Peter Gabriel (or was it someone else? Sorry if it is..) I'm collecting everything that I need on the mantle of the fireplace, making a big beautiful alter with baby pictures from national geographic, the herbs, towels etc, and anything else inspiring. I would love to have one of those "birthing idols" that I've seen in various natural CB books.

good idea about the plastic cup with straw. Maybe I'll put RRL tea in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 244 Old 06-18-2004, 10:06 PM

Mamajaza, I just want to mention that motherwort can also make contractions *worse*. It did for me (used in conjunction with crampbark, for full information). The midwives gave that to me to get everything to back off so I could rest, and somehow I would get to sleep, but wake up in the middle of awful contractions, full force (stronger than before).

One midwife I consulted since then (might have been the "elder" of the practice who was not at the birth, might have been someone here, I can't recall) said that stronger contractions can be caused by m'wort in some people.

Just wanted to put that out there, so you aren't as completely shocked as I was. Those into natural birth want medicos to give full and complete informed consent; that's what I wish the midwives had done for me...let me know that there was a completely opposite reaction that could happen from the herbs.

Hope you don't mind the caution!
#123 of 244 Old 06-18-2004, 10:10 PM

BE CAREFUL!! Seriously, Motherwort can really kick your ass if you take too much when you go into labor. It will slow it down if it's "false" labor, but it helps the uterus to work more effectively, so it CAN cause things to intensify. I took some during Nova's birth. Too much, really, a dropperful I think. I can never decide if it helped keep me calm and even until my water broke, or if it intensified everything and made my labor faster and more challenging.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#124 of 244 Old 06-18-2004, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the caution. I had not yet read up totally on "motherwort", but I thought I should probably have some because of the name. It says in my susun weed book, to use 4 drops when labour is getting intense, but not at the very end. It's suppoed to give you a "floaty-non-existant" feeling in the uterus. I guess you guys didn't get that from it. I guess I'll try the smallest dose. But I tend to not be too affected by many different herbs, so I was going to take a super-dose. Good thing I've got you guys to consult with. :LOL
#125 of 244 Old 06-18-2004, 11:52 PM

i've read shephard's purse and bayberry bark make an excellent tea to stop excessive bleeding.

update on us ~ i had an OB appointment scheduled for this morning... but i really thought about it and it occurred to me, what would they do there? i'd walk all the way there, and then they'd take my weight, temperature, blood pressure, fundal height and check for the baby's heartbeat... tell me everything's fine and then send me home. (that's all i let them do :LOL)

4 of the 5 i can do myself, and i don't really worry about the fundal height ~ i'm still gaining weight and the baby is still soooo active, it's just not a concern for me anymore.

so then i thought, why go? he's only going to pressure me to start having the baby (he believes no woman should go to 40 weeks gestation because then the babies are "too big: it's like squeezing a huge table through a tiny doorframe, one or the other is going to break" ). this is one of his only drawbacks. and i'd just decline the tests + vaginal exams he does routinely, and then have to discuss with him why i feel it's completely unnecessary to intervene during labor + birth w/ a healthy mama + baby...

so i called and cancelled the appointment, and the receptionist asked when i'd be rescheduling. i said, "i don't know." she said, "sometime next week?" i said, "uhhh yeah, maybe."

i'm considering just calling and explaining why i don't feel like coming in, and that i believe that if my body can grow her, my body can birth her, and that i believe in myself and my ability to give birth, and that i believe that birth has become too medicalized in this country, and ultimately there's no way they're getting me into a hospital to deliver my child unless *i* feel there is something wrong enough to warrant it.......... but i don't want to deal with the hassle. also thinking about just not returning their calls at all now and then after i have the baby calling and letting them know i had a homebirth.
#126 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 12:37 AM

Mamajaza, fwiw, Motherwort is a GREAT herb to have on hand anyway. I take it for PMS, and took it regularily the last month or so to help me deal with my PMS-like symptoms (weepiness and moodiness, etc.). So definately don't hesitate to try it, just be sure you don't go overboard.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#127 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 01:51 AM

Hey, all -
I haven't read thru all the posts, but I wanted to pipe up so I can be added to the list We're planning our second UC sometime late February......and very very excited about it!
#128 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 01:58 AM

re: Motherwort - is that what was mentioned by Susun Weed to take sublingually after the placenta is birthed, to head off excessive bleeding? If that's the stuff, that's what I did last time. Either it did the trick, or my uterus is only "boggy" when someone other than me is messin' with it because I had very normal bleeding.

klothos - if it were me, I'd just not return the calls. I never did tell my MW what we were planning, I just told her we were "seeking other care". Really, it's no skin off their nose - just one less birth to interrupt their day, yk?
#129 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
Things that I have for the labour and birth (LMK what you "expert" UCers think)....
-towels to do whatever with including perinium support(by me)
-massage oil with ess. oils
-dental floss for tying cord
:LOL I am not an "expert UC'er" as my baby #2 isn't due til September but I wanted to comment on the dental floss on your list. I read and have heard on another UC list that you should use dental "tape" not dental floss as the floss can cut the cord itself instead of just tying it off---the tape is wider. I know that In His Hands supplies carries the dental tape (they have "cord tape") for this purpose. You can also use a sterile baby shoelace to tie the cord....that is what we are using. I was going to get the plastic cord clamps but then I saw that they need to be specially removed by a cord clamp type pliers thingy (???).... so we are just using the shoelace.
#130 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama
Hey, all -
I haven't read thru all the posts, but I wanted to pipe up so I can be added to the list We're planning our second UC sometime late February......and very very excited about it!
FANTASTIC! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
#131 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolilybear
edited to add: I Loved having my hypnobabies birth tape.....lots of affirmations that kept me on track and not fearful. HTH

Is this the Pregnancy and Birth affirmations one? How long is the tape? I was considering getting it...

Thanks
Jennifer
#132 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
i had an OB appointment scheduled for this morning ... what would they do there? i'd walk all the way there, and then they'd ... tell me everything's fine and then send me home.
umm, maybe it would have been a nice walk?

seriously though, i hear that. i saw my backup OB yesterday and it seemed such a waste of time - though my kids had a GREAT time playing at their friend's house.

the most useful part of the appointment was getting the actual numbers from the bloodwork he did at the first visit, and i could have done that over the phone.

anyway, he wants to see me one more time and i made the appointment (i think i wanted to be a "good girl" - i HATE that impulse) even though i don't know if i will bother to keep it.
#133 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 02:01 PM

klothos~~I went and saw a doctor for two visits, early in the pregnancy, and when I didn't want to go any more, I just phoned and cancelled the next app. and told them that I was getting my prenatal apps. elsewhere. They didn't question a thing.

lovemygirl~Well, if dental "floss" isn't supposed to work, I might as well do what I had planned on doing with my DD's cord, burning it with a beeswax candle. It's the traditional buddist way of gentle separation from the placenta.

mendhimama~motherwort isn't for exessive bleeding (that I know of, so far)But I'm still reading up about it. Nice to see another "face" around. Good luck
#134 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 03:03 PM

mamajaza - I believe the book said that motherwort wouldn't stop excessive bleeding like other herbs do, but if taken preventitively, it had been effective in all the cases she's seen. That's how I used it - I believe it was 10 drops under the tongue as soon as the placenta was birthed.

Re: cord ties - we used 3 strands of embroidery floss braided together. It made a fun little project for preparing for the baby
#135 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
maybe it would have been a nice walk?
well as it was i went for a walk with my son.

Quote:
i think i wanted to be a "good girl" - i HATE that impulse
i feel that way too sometimes.
#136 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
lovemygirl~Well, if dental "floss" isn't supposed to work, I might as well do what I had planned on doing with my DD's cord, burning it with a beeswax candle. It's the traditional buddist way of gentle separation from the placenta.
VERY COOL WAY TO DO IT!
#137 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 09:16 PM

Hi all!
I was just reading through this whole thread, and I saw the posts asking about me. I am touched....

Yes, we had our baby on June 5th, at 5:59 pm. We had a boy, and he was 9lbs 4oz. He came earlier than we expected....I didn't think we would have our baby until at least the 11th or 12th.

We did not have the pure UC I wanted.....but my midwife did exactly what she was supposed to, which was to do nothing. She actually was only there for the last 20 minutes of the whole thing. She popped her head in, told me she was here, and then sat in the other room. After the birth, she cleaned up EVERYTHING and started laundry, then left. She has told me that being here has changed her as a midwife, and I can't wait to read what she has to say about the experience. I am still writing my birth story, and I don't want to read her perspective until I finish my own. We have become close friends.

Our son was born underwater, into his daddy's hands. Dh and I were the only ones to touch him for the first several hours of his life. I will post the entire story this week, as I am almost finished with it. It was my easiest birth by far.

Incidentally, we were going to have a lotus birth also, but ended up cutting the cord after about 3 hours. It was VERY challenging for me to keep it intact with my 2.5 yo needing to be held by me, and also him wanting to be close to the baby at the same time, and tandem nursing.

Well, that's all I have time for now. I have to say though, I find the discussion about midwifery fascinating, and I have lots of thoughts on it as well. Hopefully I will have time to write in response soon.
#138 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 10:34 PM

wildthing i'm happy to hear it went so well.
#139 of 244 Old 06-19-2004, 11:59 PM

Thank-you for checking in with us, donna. I can't wait to hear your whole birth story
#140 of 244 Old 06-20-2004, 12:12 AM

Congratulations, Donna. Welcome baby boy!!! I look foward to reading your birth story.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#141 of 244 Old 06-20-2004, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Donna, Congratulations!!! It sounds like it was a wonderful birth, and I look forward to hearing more from you both about that and the discussions on this thread.
#142 of 244 Old 06-20-2004, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what Susun Weed recommends for hemorrhage, from Wise Woman Herbal from the Childbearing Year (which goes into much more detail than I'm putting here.) I highly recommend the book, though as with allopathic medical advice, don't take her word as gospel!

Herbs for hemorrhage prevention:

-Nettle of Alfalfa Leaf infusion or tea through pregnancy and labor increase available vitamin K and hemoglobin.

--Motherwort tincture after birth -- 10 drops. Calming, uterine tonic.

-Shepherd's Purse -- not during labor, seems to encourage clots.

Herbs for postpartum hemorrhage:

-Witch Hazel bark tincture, 20 drops under tongue controls bleeding before placenta is delivered. Does not help expel placenta.

-Lady's Mantle (alchemilla vulgaris) -- blood coagulant, 20-30 drops

-Blue Cohosh, Cotton root bark, Cannabis (10 drops) in combination with Witch Hazel or Lady's Mantle (20 drops,) can slow a hemorrhage caused by uterine atony.

-Cayenne -- slows down hemorrhage, but also stimulates circulation. Considered dangerous for that reason (hemorrhage can start again.) Does not contract uterus.

-Shepherd's Purse -- blood coagulant, vasocontrictor. Stops bleeding, promotes uterine contractions. Fresh plant tincture, 20-30 drops, under tongue. Midwife favorite.
#143 of 244 Old 06-20-2004, 01:50 PM

I have that book too, blueviolet. It's a great reference. I've been taking alfalfa powder all during the pregnancy, it's good to know that it has other good properties.

I don't actually think I will bleed too much after the baby is born. I didn't last time I gave birth, but I did bleed for a longggggg time about 7-8 weeks post-pardum. I think that if I do the placenta preparation as I plan to, that will stop the excessive bleeding. And if I do hemorage after the birth, I can always take a peice of my placenta, that's supposed to stop the bleeding because of the oxytocin in it.
#144 of 244 Old 06-20-2004, 03:44 PM

Congrats Donna!!!!!!! Sounds like a lovely birth, can't wait to hear your birth story.
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#145 of 244 Old 06-21-2004, 12:53 PM

hi all,

i post awhile back about maybe doing an uc. i thought my midwife was going to back out of coming, but she says she still will. the thought of uc has been growing on me. i might still do an uc, but not tell her maybe call her after the birth. i am not sure i think i will just wait and see how i feel during the labor and birth.

i was really surprised she has never heard of a lotus birth. i asked her about it on our appointment this saturday. she doesn't believe it would have any benefits. i need to research it more. i think i will also see how we feel about it afterwards. i would like to keep it attached for awhile not sure how long at this point. after speaking with her this weekend, she seems to usually cut it quickly.

she also tried to tell me by not wearing a bra it could cause cancer. i told her i have heard just the opposite. we are very different in our thinking. i really miss my midwife from california.

i am having a hard time trusting her judgement. at my last appointment a couple of weeks ago, she said the baby was kind of small. this time she said the baby felt like it was 8 lbs or so. i am only about 32 weeks. i don't believe the baby is that big yet. my other two were almost 11 lbs at birth. i don't think this one will be 15 or more.

has anyone seen the clear road to birth video? it is about unassisted births. it is pretty neat. we have been watching our birth videos lately. the midwife assisted ones just don't appeal to me as much as the unassisted ones do.

anyways i just wanted post an update.
#146 of 244 Old 06-21-2004, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Boy, I don't know juju, that midwife is saying some whacky things.

I've seen the Clear Road to Birth video. Not real impressed with production, but it is a good thing to get those stories out there! Laura Shanley has some other videos on her website too.
#147 of 244 Old 06-21-2004, 02:07 PM

juju, your midwife sounds crazy. :LOL

i'd find a different care provider if i were you, or just stop seeing her. i wouldn't trust someone that sounds that ignorant to assist if things go wrong, which is the only reason (IMO) that midwives ~ or any trained attendants ~ should be at a birth at all.
#148 of 244 Old 06-21-2004, 02:08 PM

congratulations Donna! I was wondering when we would get some more birth stories...
Perhaps mine will be next, but I did want to say that I am living a really good example why you shouldn't go in for ANY prenatal care (I saw a midwife 3 times, until my 27th week) My midwife assigned me a EDD and although I know that logically it makes no sense, rationally the baby will come when it's ready, and that both of my other babies were 2 weeks late...I am going crazy waiting for this little one! I had to take castor oil both times before (or submit to the hospital for testing) and I won't do that again. I really, really want a spontaneous "Oh gosh! I think I'm in labor!" feeling. But it's soooooo hard to wait when every day seems like you are slipping into 'high risk land' Ya know? Anyway, 15 days post due and counting...(by my midwifes calculator) couple of BH contractions here and there, other than that just biding my time! Please send good birthing vibes!
Heather

ps. part of my stress is that my MIL is flying in on the 26th! I TOLD her to come the second week of July if she wanted to be sure the baby was here, and she just laughed and booked her flight! AAAARGH! : (she thinks we are having a midwife asssisted birth, won't she be surpised!)hee hee.
#149 of 244 Old 06-21-2004, 07:21 PM

Heather, sending you many birthing vibes ~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#150 of 244 Old 06-21-2004, 08:01 PM

hathor, i will be sending you some birthing vibes also. you still have some time before your mil arrives to birth your baby. wow, how do you feel about her arriving before the baby? would she be ok with an uc birth?

have of thought about taking any herbals to help? my first was almost 3 weeks overdue. i took some black and blue cohosh (sp) and maybe some other stuff to get it going. my midwife gave it to me.

klothos, there is pretty much no hope in chosing another midwife who will attend a homebirth in this state. the only other one is about 3 hours away. i think i will keep on seeing her, but might just call her afterwards. i know of a friend of a friend who had a homebirth with her a couple of years ago. i am hoping to watch the video from that birth to see how she acts during labor and birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page