Is it possible to vaginally deliver a 'big' baby at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a friend of mine was planning her second homebirth......ended up delivering via C/S in the hospital.....not sure if they even did a trial of labor or just ended up going straight to the c/s. her dh emailed us the birth announcement and just stated in the email that they decided on the c/s due to the baby's size - 9 lbs 4 oz. just curious.....is it possible to deliver at home with a bigger baby? i'm really interested in homebirth for my next child and i was surprised to hear that they ended up doing a c/s for this reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2004, 12:05 AM

My girls were 9.5lbs and 9lbs. The 9.5lber was born naturally at a birth center and the 9lber was born at home. It is totally possible!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:07 AM

it's completely possible.

my sister has had a 10 lb baby come out completely naturally, vaginally in a hospital ~ and if it can happen there, it can happen better at home.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:20 AM

Ds was 9 lbs and 2 oz at birth and my MW said that with the shape of my pelvis i could have easly delivered a 11+ lb baby. so yup...that is the "reason" given for c-sections that makes me the most angry...to me the idea that so many women would routinely grow babies bigger than their bodies could safely deliver just seems silly
Old 06-03-2004, 12:22 AM

My homebirthed baby was 9lb 2oz - no problems.

When I was researching homebirths and reading a lot of birth stories I remember being struck by all the BIG babies born at home. Really... most of them were well over 8lbs... and many were 10, 11 or even 12 lbs!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yes it is very possible.

Happens all of the time.

Frank Sinatra was born at home in 1917 and he was fifteen pounds; he was delivered by a midwife who put him under cold water to get him breathing. He and his mother lived a very long time after his birth as you may already know.

Later in life, his mother developed diabetes which was a contributing factor to her death (in a plane crash?!) He was also an only child, an anomaly in Catholic Italian families at the time.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-03-2004, 12:32 AM

Absolutely! DS#1 was 8#12oz. born at the hospital. No complications, but one small tear that required a stitch.

DS#2 was 9#10 oz. and born at home. No complications and no significant tearing (skid marks, but no stitches needed). And I was up and around in half the time at home.

"Big" baby is one of the more idiotic reasons given for c/s.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 06-03-2004, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses so far.....this is what totally confuses me....the couple that had the c/s is 'really' into homebirth and the MW that was to deliver them at home is AWESOME! this is why i was surprised to hear they ended up with a c/s and even more surprised to hear that this was the reason. i really have a hard time thinking that either the couple or the MW would have 'desired' a c/s for this reason. hmmm......
Old 06-03-2004, 12:52 AM

My first son was born at home, and he was almost 12 pounds.

He had true shoulder dystocia, and then his chest got stuck, so I am grateful that I had a skilled midwife! She used some of Ina May Gaskin's methods and ds and I were both fine.

My other two sons were 10.5 pounds each, born very easily with not even a tear.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:12 AM

HA!

Thats funny........I just delivered a 9lb 4oz baby at home last week!!!!!

So.......uhm........yeah, it's possible. :-)

Both my kids were over 9lbs and I'll tell ya, I don't have anything smaller to compare it to, but I had no issues and pushing em out wasn't hard for me. I assume I could handle an even bigger baby. My midwives also felt like maybe my son that I just had might be over 10lbs and they weren't really concerned with that, either.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cannot stand the way women are told that they had a c-section because of a "big" baby. That probably was not the case - what could have been the case is a "failure" to progress after an induction or trying to increase labor or baby was in a bad position (posterior, asynclitic, etc.) and it didn't dilate the cervix fast enough.

It is VERY VERY rare to have a baby not fit through the pelvis. You're more likely to have a car accident on the way to the hospital. Seriously.

That said, last year in my practice there was a 13lb 6oz baby, a 13lb baby and an 11lb 9oz baby - all born at home.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:46 AM

Yep - 8lb 8oz first time & 9lb 8oz second time. I tell you what - baby #2 was much easier than the smaller baby. Both were born at home and #2 (aka Allie) was unassisted.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:33 AM

I'm sure by now you can tell, but, yes! It's very possible. My babes were both 8 lb 8 oz, which is much bigger than my mom and I were expecting, but not really all that big...But my sister in law is another story.

First off, let me say that SHE was delivered by c/s because after x-rays the dr decided that mother in law had cpd and would not be able to deliver vaginally (ended up having 4 c/s). Sister in law is built JUST like her mom, and has a dh with a much bigger head than my father in law! Both sil and mil are about 5' 3" and 115 pounds. They don't have spreading hips (unlike me! I look like I was born to have babies, hmm, that's what dh thought too )

So, her first was a nine pound boy born in a military hospital and they cut her CERVIX to get him out! Idiots! Sixteen years later and she still has unresolved issues from that one.

Four years later, next babe was a 8+ pound girl born at her midwife's house.

Two years later, next babe was a 10 pound 8 ounce boy delivered at home in under 5 hours. I have to say she was a little sore after that one.

Seven years later, next babe was a 9 pound 12 ounce boy delivered at our house in less than 3 hours.

Now she's done. But I say that there is NO WAY that my mother in law had cpd, and that big babies can definitely be delivered at home, to almost any woman.

Rochelle
Mommy to Meg 5/00, Peter 6/02, #3 due 8/04
Old 06-03-2004, 02:50 AM

i had an unmedicated vaginal birth midwife-assisted in a hospital with my first and second 9'12.5" (the nurses said an ob would have c-sectioned me) and 8'6.5" (i walked in pushing and kept hearing the nurses and docs shout out "she pushed out a 9'12" last time...just let her go"-- midwife was a little late.)

My third was 9'8" and born at home with only a tiny tear (even with previous scar tissue. (thankfully he was 10 days early)

However, presentation and the way the mother is coping as well as the baby's stress levels make a difference too. maybe the c-section saved a life (although there certainly are WAY too MANY bad rumors about big babies out there!)
Old 06-03-2004, 02:52 AM

if they are estimating baby's size by touch or ultrasound i have heard they can be up to one or two pounds off-- huge difference between 7.5 and 9.5 or 9.5 and 11.5 right. the guessing is nervewracking and a crock i think. :
Old 06-03-2004, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
dang anything under 10# is considered medium in my book. But this is the midwest. we grow 'em, big here. My home birth was my biggest baby and she was 9 1/2 pounds. didn't tear, hardly pushed at all. 12 minutes. labor was a few hours. My other two were 5 1/2# and 7# the easiest was the 7 pounder. 3 minutes of hard labor, Didn't even break a sweat. In the end tey all pretty much felt the same coming out. After all unless they are all head it doesn't make a difference really a couple of extra ponds of fat here or there. fat is squishy and the least of your problems. my friends baby though had 10 inch shoulders and a 16 inch head. But she was only about 8#. like I said, squishy fat was the least of her problems.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:33 AM

For the record, homebirth babies are bigger than hospital birthed babies. There is usually more health care info for the mama to grow a healthier, bigger baby and there are no (should be no) inductions. My midwife has delivered 13 lbs babies. My Aunt had all six of hers at home and they were all 9 1/2 - 12 lbs. She didn't even tear. I think it's much safer to deliver a large baby at home than in the hospital. There you're likely to wind up with surgery.

T

Congratulations on your new baby boy Anothermama! That is so wonderful!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:09 PM

Wanted to add my experience...

ds1: 8lbs. 15oz. C-Section
ds2: 8lbs. 4oz. medicated VBAC with episiotomy to "help him out"
ds3: 9lbs. 14oz. homebirth--NO TEARS

So, my biggest baby was born at home Yep, it can be done
Old 06-03-2004, 02:20 PM

Babies have only been born in hospitals the last 100 yrs or so.

Were all the human babies born for the thousands of yrs before that small? Or did all the big ones die?

Hmm.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM

my 3rd was about 10 lbs, had shoulder dystocia, and was a homebirth. i truly shudder to think what would have happened if i were at a hospital.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 PM

I watched my MW deliver a 10 lb 13 oz baby to a 14 yr old girl at a migrant farm worker "village" in the next county over. No tears, no episiotomy!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:37 PM

My ds was 8lb 4oz, my dd was 10lb even. They were both born at home, I had a small tear with my ds but with dd, no tears, I felt great!

So, yes, it's definitely possible.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:42 PM

Add me to the list of "I had my biggest baby at home" #1 - 42 wks, "naturally" labored in a hospital with every intervention short of pit, epi and epi (haha aren't I cute) - my long and skinny 8# 4oz son took about 20 minutes to push out (in the C-position, not the greatest for pushing) had a tear and a torn cervix, and stitches. I walked around like a cripple for a week.

#2 - 39 wk induction(cervadil) for risk of pre-e, only a 5 hour intense labor, pushed my shorter, fatter 8# 8oz son out in a bout five minutes, side laying. 2dg. tear with stitches. I wanted to jump up and run a marathon!

#3 - about 39 wks, 12 hour "hard" labor (after laboring all day) pushed my ten lb boy out at home all by myself (as planned) in about five minutes. Just a skid mark that healed itself in a few days.

Yeah, I agree they tend to feel pretty much the same, it's those heads you gotta deal with, the rest is just squishy fat

I'm sure there's more that happened to your friend but all the Dr's are saying is that the baby was "too big". I'm sorry your friend wanted a hb and wound up with a c/s.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:43 PM

I delivered my first born at home unasissted.
She 9.6 ounces,20.25 inches,and head was 13.5 around.
So glad I had her at home UC.
My son was also born at home and was 9.8 ounces,21 inches,and head 14 in. around
Sara
Old 06-04-2004, 11:20 AM

My SIL had two babies born at home weighing over 10#. Her first homebirth baby was 11+ pounds.

Both of mine were born weighing over 8 1/2 pounds.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 AM

A friend of mine delivered her 10lb 9oz baby (her 2nd) at home, Posterior no less! No tears. Her first baby was 9lb 4oz and she had an episiotomy that tore into a 2nd degree tear. She said the 2nd birth was much better.

Another friend of mine had a c-section last Friday on her due date. A repeat c-section. This baby was 10lb 14oz and 23 inches long. Big guy all over I guess! It was a planned cesarean as the OB (my former OB BTW) kept reminding her of the 1% chance that her uterus could rupture during labor if she went for a VBAC.

Both my babies were "small"- first induced at 6lb 2oz at 38 weeks and second born the day before his due date at 7lb 7oz. The bigger one was easier to get out, but I was pushing in a totally different position and had given birth before. I was comfier at home, that's for sure!
Old 06-04-2004, 12:29 PM

Well I guess it's obvious by now, but YES! Of course a big baby could be delivered at home. Ds was 9lb 12oz, drug free at the hospital but with an epi. Would have been a million times easier at home where I would have been more comfortable, and I'm sure that would have prevented the cutting. I don't intend to have any more but if we get another oops I'll deliver at home in my living room for sure.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:07 PM

My 7 lb 11 oz first had shoulder distocia and tried to come out with his head sideways--the goober (at home....ended up fine, but was HARD to get out in the process!)

My 9 pounder flew out like a rocket. Took my poor hips a while to get back to their appropriate position! No tears with either.....
Old 06-04-2004, 01:12 PM

I delivered my 9 pound son, with a 15 inch head. His noggin wasnt as bad as his shoulders, which were 15 inch as well....i swear i could almost "hear" the "clincking" of his shoulder getting stuck. still, he came out and i only pushed for 20 minutes.

On the bright side of those big shoulders.....his little brother came zooming out, 7cm to birth in 10 minutes! compared to his bigger older brother, he felt like a placenta!
Old 06-04-2004, 02:02 PM

My ds was 10lb 8oz born at home. Both his shoulders got stuck (and then his hips...the enormous thing ) and even though I ended up with an episiotomy (rare w/homebirth), all was well. I am so grateful that he was born at home...I have a sneaking suspicion that I, too, would have had a c-section in the hospital.

I think that part of the problem with "That baby is huge..you are going to need a c-section" is that it sets up the mom, her partner, the nurses and the doctor for the possibility as if it were inevitable.

For example: My nephew was born in our local hospital (8lbs 10 oz) by c-section. I was standing in the birth-center lobby waiting for my sister-in-law to get her epidural prior to her c-section. I was standing next to my father-in-law (I was 7 months pregnant at the time and planning a homebirth) and my SIL's Dr. was filling out paper-work behind the counter.

My FIL looked at me and said "Well, you are going to have to break that c-section curse when you have your baby". (His prior other grandchildren had also been born via c-section). My SIL's Dr. looked up, looked at my pregnant belly and said "Don't count on it...all those boys in that family (meaning my DH's) have huge heads." and went back to filling out paperwork.

I was both furious and scared. This was my first baby and this man who was not my Dr. had just said that he predicted a c-section for me. Well, after much reassurance by my MW I had my great big baby with his great big head at home and I sent the Dr. a birth announcement with all the stats of DS's size on it in bold letters . Sheesh...

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

User Tag List