how to use a kiddie pool--esp. re: heat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-10-2002, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all--

Planning a UC (unassisted childbirth) in October...and we can't afford a birthing pool. So I've been impressed with how many mamas have used plain ole kiddie pools and been happy with the experience. But how do you regulate heat? Someone mentioned a waterbed heater on the UC list I am on, but I have to wait and lurk and read for two weeks before I can post there, so I'm dying for more info! How do you get the cooling water out so there's room for more hot, if you don't use a heater? We have a big aquarium I am used to cleaning so I am familiar with the principles of the siphon hose, and assumed that's the method used.

Also, what ARE the requirements of a floor to withstand the weight of a birthing pool (kiddie pool) plus water? How does one figure this sort of thing out?

And I guess you put down plastic sheeting below the pool to make sure no water gets on to the floor/carpet? With towels over that?

Speak up, waterbirth moms! I need some help figuring the logistics of the materials out--birth, i figure, will happen naturally!

Much love,

Joy
#2 of 7 Old 06-10-2002, 09:59 PM
mom

Can I add a question?

I was wondering some of the same things, because we are using a kiddie pool very soon, like hopefully tomorrow. But here is my question:

How do you empty the pool. I figure you just put a hose in and it drains out somehow, but is there something I am missing? (Feeling kind of dumb . . .) We don't want to have to empty it out bucket by bucket - that would take hours!
#3 of 7 Old 06-10-2002, 11:26 PM

You can see it on the birthdiaries.com site...

http://www.birthdiaries.com/diary/29vbirth.htm

As far as heat goes...we were just planning to add hot water as needed. We didn't end up needing to since I had a very fast labor and I was actually only in the tub for about 40 minutes. We were planning to just siphon the cooler water out as needed as well.

DH emptied the pool, only he couldn't get the siphon going so he sucked on it to get it started...lol...my mom and I were laughing so hard...what a guy!

I was worried about the weight of the pool as well, since we were planning to do it on the second floor of our apartment. We already had a waterbed, so I actually ended up calling the waterbed store to ask them how many gallons were in a queen size waterbed, how much that would typically weigh, and what the building regulations were as far as withstanding weight per square inch. We figured it out over the phone...he told me I was his first call for something like that, and he was glad to help me.

To prepare the floor, we just went with the plastic sheeting from the home improvement store and threw towels over it so we wouldn't slip on it when we were wet.

We bought, and I've seen most people recommend, the 60 inch pool. Ours is made by Intex and it was around $20.00. The sides are really sturdy, and I highly recommend an electric pump to fill it up. We tried it with a foot pump at first and it took forever...actually we gave up...lol. You can get one for around $15, I think we bought ours at Target.

Good Luck and happy waterbirthing!
#4 of 7 Old 06-11-2002, 03:17 AM

yes, we also used water for both our kids birth..in a kiddie pool. we just boiled water and added it as it cooled. I labored w/baby one for a long time in it and will have to ask hubbie for the other details. it didn't seem to like too much trouble. I don't think we even used any plastic under it...just make sure you have lots and lots of towels. we were not forewarned of this and ran out quickly.....the more the better, especially since you're going UC.
I don't know anything about the heater though.

and as brandymama recommended (hi brandymama!) get a good pump...it takes a lot to pump it up. and i'd recommend having filled up early. i really wanted it w/baby two but didn't get it since we were still filling it up by the time he emerged. *next time*, i will have it out way ahead of time. I really missed it.

also i liked the kiddie pool for it's soft sides to lean into...very comfy.

good luck!!! how exciting that you are doing a freebirth too!! yay.
#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2002, 03:32 AM

We used a kiddie pool too. We put it in our kitchen and ran a hose from the faucet to fill it up (had to buy an adapter at Home Depot for that). In anticipation of the birth, we turned the temp on our water heater up all the way so that the water would be super hot (takes at least a day or so). When I went into labor, DH filled the tub with a hose from the kitchen sink. We had to add more water at one point -- DH opened the kitchen door to the deck and threw bucketsful of water out while the MW ran more hot water in from the hose. Our MW loaned us a water pump for draining the water -- just ran the hose for that out the door to the garden.

We had the kind of pool with padded sides but not the bottom, so we put two of those egg-crate pads down on the floor first, then a plastic sheet, then towels. We actually didn't use nearly as many towels as I thought we would!

Oh, and definitely get an air pump to blow up the pool -- ours cost $10 I think.
#6 of 7 Old 06-11-2002, 10:06 AM

the best tip I have gotten...buy maroon colored ones! We got some pretty inexpensively at Target or KMart and the blood stains didn't show up...we're still using them
#7 of 7 Old 06-11-2002, 06:15 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to Brandy for sharing the pictures of her baby's birth. It was beautiful and made me cry (which is not too hard these days, I must admit, but still...)!

I am planning a home waterbirth with a midwife for my first (due in December) and seeing these pictures is very reassuring.

Thank you so much!

Also thanks to everyone about the tub info - knowing the practical side of it is making it more real and not just a great idea

Rae

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page