twins at home? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 303 Old 08-21-2002, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That massage my mom keeps telling me to get is sounding better and better!!!!

Speaking of massage- GOGI- maybe a nice massage will urge those babies to make an entrance! And you could get your husband to give you one during the early stages of labor...

...sending good Labor vibes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 303 Old 08-21-2002, 11:59 PM

I also have had the pelvic pain even through chiropractic adjustments. It is worst when I try to get out of bed. Needless to say I am spending more time in the recliner.

As far as intimate relations with my husband, HAA! He has been told, at this point, that it is an exit only!!!

On the ultrasound issue - A friend of mine did not know she was pregnant and all of a sudden started feeling what she thought was kicking, she took a positive pregnancy test but was going crazy thinking how far along she might be. she was leaving out of town the next day and couldn't wait. I know this sounds terrible but she went to a family planning clinic and said she felt kicking didn't even know if she was pregnant and they gave her a free ultrasound. It turned out she was 22 weeks pregnant. If you really get too curious that might be a way to get your ultrasound.

Denyse
#183 of 303 Old 08-22-2002, 12:15 AM

lol! Exit only! that's so true! I imagined it would be that way!!! Like I said...maybe just keep moving as much as you can, comfortably, or a nice massge from hubby! Oh- and it sounds weird, but nipple stimulation! Supposed to release oxytocin-

Yikes! She was 22 weeks and didn't know she was pregnant? How so?

I knew 2 weeks before I could test that I would be pregnant! So, two weeks after I conceived, I had a feeling I was pregnant, and I was. I took 4 tests!! two before I could get a positive answer, and two after! So I've known from the very beginning with this one. I have a VERY regular cycle. I said, oops! I am not getting it this month! That was in March, and here I am- 27 weeks I just felt really exhausted and I was having a pain in my side...guess that meant ovulation, or the implanting of the egg???

Whoooohoooo!

Francine
#184 of 303 Old 08-22-2002, 10:43 AM

Speaking of going into labor, I had a dream last night that I was losing my mucous plug and going into labor!! I kept saying, "I'm only 27 weeks, this can't be happening!"

So maybe I was having a dream about you Gogi! Maybe you are in labor?? I hope so, because I'm definitely not ready yet.

Fran
#185 of 303 Old 08-22-2002, 05:48 PM

Sorry, no labor yet. I did have acupuncture this morning. We will see what happens.

Denyse
#186 of 303 Old 08-22-2002, 06:29 PM

My friend did that with much success. Though I'm glad your practitioners aren't pressuring you. I do remember how it feels to be uncomfortable with one and over due, I'll have to tell you about two in December! :-)

MomofMany twins due 12/19
#187 of 303 Old 08-23-2002, 02:54 AM

Denyse, no apologies needed! Just know that we are thinking of you!! I was looking through my birthing pictures last night and was remembering that incredible day! I could almost feel the comfort of my own bed and smell the aroma of the scented candle that was in the room. I especially treasure the pictures of my ds meeting his sister Kyra while I was still laboring with Olivia. I also love the pictures of the girls sleeping side by side in our bed all wrinkled, new, and snuggling close together to one another.

It won't be long now. I am sending you many positive thoughts and blessings!

~Jill
#188 of 303 Old 08-23-2002, 11:52 AM

Denyse,
You are so close!! Any day now you'll have those babes in your arms, I'm so excited for you! I hope the acupuncture worked like a charm!

I've been trying to eat well, but every day new foods are grossing me out. I can't eat any processed meat products at all, which is a good thing, but kinda annoying for BBQ's, or when I'm really busy and want to just grab a burger between my many errands. I can't eat eggs anymore, cottage cheese is kinda yucky to me now. I can only eat so many beans!! I've got the protein shake powder and I'm drinking them, but not enjoying it. I just want to eat fruit and pasta and bread and veggies, I was like that w/ dd's pregnancy as well, and I developed PIH and she was only 7lbs 5oz, not bad I know, but pretty small for todays babies. My problem with food is not the taste it's the texture of it, I'm sensitive to it when I'm not pregnant, and a million times worse when I am. I can eat bone in, skin on chicken breasts (not boneless/skinless though-different texture) and I'm probably having that tonight, and I bought a roast to make (I've never done that before!) so hopefully I can eat that when I make it, but who knows. Anyway, am I missing any easy high protein foods? I do eat peanut butter, but what else is there?

gotta go, phoenix is having a meltdown, 2 year molars are SO much fun!
#189 of 303 Old 08-23-2002, 02:44 PM

Cyan,
I can so sympathiize with you, that is all I want too! And it isn't anywhere near the protein that we need, I have found that almonds or almond butter are helpful and proteinfilled, and Humus with veggies is a little bit . I try to eat fish too, Tilapia is my favorite and it is also the least fishy smelling and tasting and also one of the lowest mercury contaminated fish! Broiled with lemon and dill it is yummy! I just bought a huge turkey breast, i figured I could roast it and then just snake off it all day.....
I have a 2 year old too and a 4 year old! I am already having trouble running after them and I am tired so much, a lot of that hass to do with not enough food, but I am wondering how this pregnancy is going to go, I don't live near my family at all, can't hire anyone because of money and my husband is in the air force and gone on trips for weeks at a time..... how am I going to cope?
Oh well, just my wanderings... we'll see next week when I start listening to heartbeats....
hope it gets better for you!
love,
#190 of 303 Old 08-23-2002, 10:36 PM

No success with acupuncture. Today I went for an NST and everything was fine. I decided to use the breastpump at the dr.'s office. I was on for 25 minutes and only had 3 small contractions, then not much the rest of the day. I just have to face the fact thet these babies are not ready to come out. The problem is that I am so uncomfortable I almost can't take it anymore. Today my inner thigh hurts so bad because i have to have my legs spread so far to fit my abdomen between them. I know I said before that women who are 5'3'' should not be pregnant with twins. Well they definitely were not meant to be overdue with twins. I have decided that I am not going to stress about doing anything to initiate labor anymore because my body is not having a response and it is stressing me out. I am just going to trust in nature and wait.

I empathize with the food aversions. That was my biggest challenge this entire pregnancy. I have now gained 85 pounds, basically achieved by force feeding myself. Pizza has a lot of protien and most people can still stomach pizza while pregnant. Did you try that?
#191 of 303 Old 08-24-2002, 02:40 PM

gogi,
hang in there. Maybe you can try some relaxation, like the house all to yourself light a candle put on some music and just let your body relax. Try not to think to much about wanting to give birth and it just might be reverse phsycology!(sp?)
#192 of 303 Old 08-25-2002, 06:10 PM

Denyse, thinking of you and sending lots of postive birthing vibes and lots of {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}!!

~Jill
#193 of 303 Old 08-26-2002, 05:58 PM

GOGI- hope you have those babies soon!!!!
#194 of 303 Old 08-26-2002, 06:30 PM

Bravo to you for not forcing those babies out before they're ready and endangering them and you!! I'm sorry to hear that you're so uncomfortable. I'm 5'2" and I've given birth to 9+ pound babies but I can't imagine how two healthy babies must feel in those tight quarters Hope you're feeling wonderful VERY soon and that your patience pays off with robustly healthy babies and a gentle, wonderful birth whenever they're ready to show their faces to the world. (((HUGS)))
#195 of 303 Old 08-27-2002, 12:39 PM

Gogi,
Today is Tues and I know this was your day are you 41 weeks or 42 now? I am so excited for you, hope you can find some peace and calmness! I know you are going to have a great birth from within!
lots of love and support,
#196 of 303 Old 08-28-2002, 01:25 PM

Denyse- haven't heard from you in a few days- does this mean those babies have appeared???? I hope so!
#197 of 303 Old 08-29-2002, 12:46 PM

While we are waiting to hear from Denyse I wondered how all you other moms are doing. Anyone find any foods that are going down more easily? I found that eating a little bit all day long seemed to work the best at keeping me feeling okay.

What are your favorite protein drinks? I use to add strawberry yogurt, powdered milk, frozen strawberries, and milk. I also used a vanilla flavored soy powder which seemed pretty tolerable.

One thing that helped my back discomfort is that I tried to do a lot of squatting. I would go outside and dig up dandelions from the backyard while sqatting (we had a lot of dandelions!). The other thing that was invaluable was a prenatal yoga class that I took. I was able to participate up until 35 1/2 weeks.

I would love to hear what you ladies are doing and how you are feeling!

~Jill
#198 of 303 Old 08-29-2002, 02:43 PM

Well, I am 26 and a half week now. Feeling pretty good except for a kink in my back. I would love to take a prenatal yoga class, but I have noone to babysit Jack while dh is at work (he works nights.) I'll bet Gogi has had her babies...I can't wait for an update! We haven't been getting out much lately because it is so darned hot here in TX, but I'm gonna try to take little Jack to the park later or maybe the movies where it is nice and cool. The poor little guy is probably going stir crazy. Hope you mamas are well. Have a lovely day!
~jen
#199 of 303 Old 08-29-2002, 08:58 PM

I was wondering the same how are all the other pregnant mamas doing?

Hope all is well with gogi.
#200 of 303 Old 08-30-2002, 02:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been so busy since I am still working part-time and spending the rest of my time resting, eating and spending as much one-on-one mommy time with my son. I couldn't believe when I checked in tonight that gogi (Denyse) had not had those babies!

I am 25 weeks now and also dreamed about birth the other night. It really scared me, so I liked the take that maybe I was dreaming of someone elses!

I had a great visit with my midwife, in the practice with my ob. She is a strong older woman who has "done it all" and will be my advocate with the doctor. I have collected many stories of breech births without epidural and feel secure refusing that one and she will back me on that (when I interviewed her before going to the clinic for my first delivery, I liked that she stressed that "we hire the doctors, they don't hire us!") She promised to put herself on call whenever I felt (Planned!) to deliver, and to meet me at a hotel room if I wanted to labor there (closer to the hospital) for a while before checking in. I felt great after that visit. She spent forever with me and I was surprised that no one came looking for her. She also said that she felt sure she could. get a labor b. .ed into the delivery room. This is a woman you want on your side!

I have had the worst belly rash. It started only in my belly button and she said it was yeast, from being moist and hot. I used vinegar and lavendar oil and it cleared right up, but then a dinner-plate sized rash spread over my whole belly. I can't stand to have anything touching it. It seems to be slowly responding to the same treatment, but it is the WORST.

Gogi,

I was two weeks overdue with my son and I tried EVERYTHING to get labor started, including castor oil. Nothing worked, but I think I broke my water trying everything and still didn't go into labor. I know now that they all have their own time. I'm so glad your caregivers are letting you wait it out and that the babies are doing fine. They're too happy in there.

My midwife said that the doctor would try to induce me at 36 weeks, and I said that he would not be succeeding. I guess after all our discussions, he was afraid to even bring that one up!

Chloe! Nipple stimulation! I think I'd rather have sex than have anyone go anywhere near my nipples! I can not understand how anyone can nurse through pregnancy. . . Am I alone on this?

Artofbirthing, OK, you just moved WAY up on my admiration list with a 2 year old and a 4 year old and a hubby who is gone. . . I can't feel sorry for myself anymore. Any news on double heartbeats? I have heard of many twins who had one behind the other who never did hear two. . .I'm still betting on twins for you. We'll see soon!

Cyan, I can relate to the protein problems. I have lost my taste for one kind after the other. I just got to the point where I was about to try eggs again and cracked one into the pan, only to find a half-developed chick. So much for that protein source! Sick of the shakes too, but putting some fruit that is more sour or tangy in them makes them easier for me to take than ones that are too sweet. I've been making lentil or split pea or bean soups and eating those throughout the day, and sneaking in some chopped turkey into them too. Yogurt is still ok and bean dip and lasagne with lots of cheese and some meat. . . I got the Brewer book and it has some recipes I'm going to try just because I have to have something new. Eating has basically become a full-time job and not one that I am really enjoying. And I used to love to eat!

My midwife suggested bringing a water tub into the operating room. Would they let you do that?

And tandem nursing with twins . . . that I want to hear about!

As to sciatic pain, I've had quite a bit too. My chiropractic adjustments last a day or two and it comes back and I am paying out of pocket and can't keep going. I've found that stretching my hamstrings several times a day and tailor sitting helps. Have you read Elizabeth Noble's book on twins? I can't remember the name. Anyways, there is a treatment for sciatic pain in the back of it where you rest a leg up on a chair (pictures in the book) and I find that that helps too. Might last a day or two, but cheaper than the chiro.

I get worried that I am so tired and achy and sick of eating now and I have quite a way to go. It sure helps to hear all of your stories and to have somewhere to comisserate and get encouragement.

Paige
#201 of 303 Old 08-30-2002, 09:48 AM

Well, I'm 24w1d and today I meet the CNMs back up doctor. I guess I'll have more to tell in an hour or so. I'm hanging in there...

Momofmany
#202 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 02:19 PM

I am sorry I have not responded but I had two babies in a very unexpected way.

August 26, 2002
Violet Camille (7lbs. 14oz., 19 1/2 inches born- 2:50 am)
Fiona Elizabeth (9lbs. 11oz. 20 inches born, 3:21 am)

I started having some back pain Sunday night, but no real contractions. We went to bed at about 12;30 am and my husband was giving me a massage when I felt this big kick on my cervix and my water bag broke (1:15am). There was a significant amount of blood with the fluid. We decided to call the doctor and while I was on the phone with him I started having real contractions wich released a large amount of blood with the fluid (filled up an overnight pad with dark blood in 1 minute). He called the doctor that lived closest to see what they wanted to do. They decided to I should go to the hospital and I agreed. On the drive to the hospital Each contraction was over 2 minutes long and I kept bleeding. We got to the hospital at 2am. They put me on the fetal monitor and were surprised to see that my contractions were over 2 min. but the babies were doing fine. I had a vaginal exam and was already 8cm. I was shaking, contractions were coming fast and by 2:40 I was spontaneously pushing. the doctor just arrived at the hospital and quickly changed while yelling encouraging words (he could here by my grunts that I was pushing). I yelled at him at one point to stop hurting me as he came out and put his hand near my vagina. He said that it wasn't him but the baby crowning. I could not believe the baby was coming this fast. Violet was born within 10 minutes of pushing.

I immediately had an ultrasound to check the position of the baby. The baby was still transverse and their was an arm starting to come down the birth canal. Not only that, I was already pushing. I could not stop pushing, my body was doing it. They were yelling for me to stop and I couldn't. It was immediately decided that I should have a c-section and I was prepped. I won't go into the drama about that now. It was terrible to be prepped and have my body pushing and try with all my might not to, knowing my baby would be undeliverable in that position. I had a c-section under general anesthesia.

In hind sight it was a great decision to go to the hospital because the labor was so fast that we would have most likely been alone for the first birth and I don't want to think about what could have happened to Fiona. She was also such a large baby, even a breech would have been difficult.

I am typing so fast because I am doing nothing but nursing. They just happen to be asleep at the same time. They are absolutely beautiful. They are not identical. they look nothing alike and they have different blood types. I want to thank you all for your support through this pregnancy and I hope we keep some kind of thread going because I will have so many questions about mothering twins. It has been difficult to be in the hospital for three days, away from my son and recovering from both a vaginal birth (got stiches from a tear), and a c-section. Every day I feel a little better. I would love to share a picture but I am not sure how to do this. Any thoughts?

Denyse, Desmond, Sebastian (3-26-00), Violet and Fiona (8-26-02) I think 26 is our lucky number!
#203 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 03:47 PM

Way to go, Gogi! Your babes were both bigger than my dd, and she's a singleton.

Enjoy this special time.
#204 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 04:15 PM

Way to go, Gogi!

That was a fast labor! I am soooooooooo glad that both of your babies are healthy! And I hope that you heal very quickly! And keep nursing those babies They were so big- no wonder it was so uncomfortable. Best of luck!
#205 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 04:48 PM

gogi,

Congratulations! Wow you did have big twins, you must be so proud.

Do you have some sort of nursing pillow so you can feed the girls both at the same time? I used a boppy and it worked just fine. I tried to feed the girls both at the same time so I wouldn't have permanent butt prints in our sofa!

Best of luck!!!

Let us know if we can be of any help and hopefully they will start a multiples forum.

BTW Did you lose your balance once your big belly disappeared? I seemed to stumble a lot until I got used to not having it anymore.
#206 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 08:06 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your babies!!! I have been following your story with interest...
Your births sound similar to on in the Birth Reborn video by Michel Odent.
(It documents his early days at the state hopsital in France where he transformed the ward into a humane place for mamas to birth without trauma.)
A mum gave birth to twins, the first was a footling breech (vaginal birth), and the second was a c-section...Placenta blocking the way of the second one.
sounds like everything happened the way it needed to for you...
Best of luck to you and wow, such big girls!!!
Take care.
Laura
#207 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 08:35 PM

Congratulations!!!!

Wow! I can only dream my babies are as big as yours! I hope you're recovering well. If you have a chance (ya right!) maybe try and get a hold of your local ICAN (international cesarian awareness network) member, she might have some ideas for healing and recovery. Enjoy your beautiful babies!! (((hugs!)))

I'm doing pretty good. I think they both had a huge growth spurt, within a day I seemed to like double in size!! I'm going to make some hummus, and really start packing on the protien (Gogi you are such an inspiration!)
I had my *big* ultrasound last week and found out I'm having a girl and a boy! I can't help but be happy, even though it doesn't really matter . The placentas are in good positions and they seem to be okay sizes. The girl (*A*) is only in the 35% but the boy (*B*) is in the 85%!! Everything looks wonderful as far as they could tell.

I'm starting to get really sore really easily lately, my back, my bum, my hips all ache if I do much of anything, this is gonna be a hard few months I think!

What does everyone think of these girl names?
Andora
Alora
Amara
~~~~~~~~~~

Andrea,
mama to Phoenix, and b/g twins due mid January-ish
#208 of 303 Old 08-31-2002, 10:50 PM

Thanks for all the congrats! I do have a nursing pillow for twins. I prefer right now to nurse them one at a time because Violet is having latch on problems. I have seen the lactation consultant twice and we are already doing better. It is funny, my but is so sore from sitting it is actually bothering more than my incision. I am tipping over when I walk. It was knd of scary at first but very understandable. I am getting used to my new bod now. I do have to wear support underwear for part of the day because my muscles are just sgging and hanging. It is very exhausting.

Cyan, i really like andora. We had a similar name, Eudora, on our list. I also like Amara, so feminine.

They have both been asleep for 3 hours straight. Why can't this happen at night?
#209 of 303 Old 09-01-2002, 01:45 AM

Way to go Gogi! I knew your babies would be big, but I'm astounded at 9 lbs 11 oz! You did such a good job and I am happy to hear that it all worked out well. I hope you have lots of people around to care for you so you can recover a little bit. Kind of unfair to have to recover from both kinds of delivery! You are my inspiration.

Cyan,

I like Amara. Do you have a boy's name?

Paige
#210 of 303 Old 09-01-2002, 03:08 AM

Denyse, it is so good to hear that babies have safely arrived!! You are one awesome momma and an inspiration to all of us! I am crying as I read that you have two girls (having two girls is soooo much fun)! You got the big, healthy babies that you wanted!!

What does big brother think of his two new sisters? Please keep in touch when you have a chance and let us know how all of you are doing!! I am sending many, many blessings and well wishes to you and your family!!

It's late so I need to go for now, I will post again as soon as I can! Give Fiona and Violet big kisses!!!

~Jill

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page