twins at home? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 303 Old 09-26-2002, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
charmarty,

I just looked at the photos of the girls. How adorable!

Thanks for sharing them!
#242 of 303 Old 09-26-2002, 09:28 PM

Mommy of Twins
I did read through most posts on this thread before initially posting. I was encouraged and inspired by many of the posts and by the incredible support formed herein.
The Bradley link is a good suggestion. We have called A LOT of midwives. Evidently, b/c the midwives here have such a good relationship with the medical community, it seems to be mutually agreed upon that twins will be medically approached and singleton homebirths will be accepted by the medical community. Accepted in as much as not shamed or discredited, etc. When a midwife has to transfer her client during a homebirth she is not coldly or aggressively received, for the most part.
We will check out Bradley avenues,
thank you. And than you for your wonderful encouragement.
OH, and the '1 year old and twins on the way' comment? We have had a difficult time coming up with a due date as I was nursing at the point of conception and wasn't really sure I was ovulating. With my oldest child, I did not have a period for 16 months after birthing her. (THAT WAS GREAT!)
Most people just start laughing at the insanity about to descend upon our home. (We, too, are laughing.)

Charmarty and Breathingmom
THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR WARM WELCOME. I had read your posts earler, got distracted by a knock at the door, and came back to my husband reading your posts, including MOMMY OF TWINS'. He was greatly encouraged and started reading back through the pages until I pointed out there were nine pages. (He works from home and was on the clock.) He wants to read all the birth stories and experiences later.

Again, I will post some questions later. (The crew just descended on me.)

Hotmamacita
#243 of 303 Old 10-08-2002, 02:30 PM

Hi Hot mama!
hope you are well!!
from your freind - Augustine! lol!
sending hugs your way!
#244 of 303 Old 10-08-2002, 05:53 PM

hello, ART OF BIRTHING. any news?

Well, I have a cold and it has knocked me out. I am humbled that my body can not even support a simple cold. I am taking echanacea, resting, and drinking and eating o.j. and fruit, respectively. It is hard to care for my two little ones (4 and 1) and my husband is very busy with work and school. How am I going to be able to do FOUR, two of which are twins?

I called a local Bradley instructor and found no leads on a midwife. Evidently, this state (Washington) is not as open as it appears due to malpractice insurance that midwives must carry. (The Bradley instructor tried to explain it all to me and said that Oregon is much more open.)

We can not travel to Oregon and have such a peace about having a homebirth here. Everytime I start to get anxious, I feel a wave of peace and an invitation to trust. I do have a friend, who has excellent training in midwifery, who wants to be here for the birth. We trust her implicitly and love her deeply and know that she is skilled and experienced.

I have had no prenatals. I check my p.b. and urine and all is fine. I eat 150 grams of protein, 1500 mg calcium and minimal sugar. The one ultrasound I had showed normal amniotic levels and all. In the back of my mind, I wonder.....

"If my friend can not make it, will we be entirely harassed by showing up to a hospital without any records and no attending OB?" But each and everytime I start to go in that direction, I feel that peace I described earlier. And the few times that I've ingored the peace, and my husband's counsel, and tried to call an OB for back-up, my attempts were foiled in such obvious ways.

Anyone else had a smiliar experience or have any insights or thoughts?

Thanks, in advance.
#245 of 303 Old 10-11-2002, 03:58 AM

Hot mama, I sent you a pm. I hope that you got it okay.

How are you other mama's doing? I would love to hear how everyone is feeling both physically and emotionally.

Denyse, how are you my friend? I'm sure you don't have much time to come here right now. I wanted to let you know that I have been thinking of you and wondering how everything is going for you!

Take care ladies!
~Jill
#246 of 303 Old 10-11-2002, 04:41 AM

Hello, breathingmom. I tried to send you a response but it said your mailbox was full. (Yes, by the way, thank you!!!!)

I, too, want to hear how the other mom's are doing?
#247 of 303 Old 10-11-2002, 11:58 AM

Hi all,
I am having one baby, I think..... no I'm pretty sure....

I have been palpating and I get very obviously one vertex baby... with heatbeat of 138 so I'm fairly sure that it is just one little girl.

I am still measuring a little big not as much as before, so I guess it is just some funky variation of a third pregnacy. I guess I wouldn't know for 100%until after the birth, but I feel fairly certain that it is just one... which is just fine with me.

Hope all the other momies are doing well, and I look forward to your stories!

love,
Augustine
hotmama,
keep the faith! you will birth exactly how you should, just keep listening!
love to you!
#248 of 303 Old 10-15-2002, 02:10 AM
e&r

I'm a lurker and I've diligently read everone's post (all nine pages) and am anxious to know how everyone is doing. Please, please, please let me know. I wish everyone the best.
e
#249 of 303 Old 10-16-2002, 02:29 PM

Hi mamas! It has been a while since I have posted. I am now 33 wk5 days!!! Whoohoo! And both of my boys are over 4lbs. We have been going to a perinatologyst because Lucas, baby b, has a little fluid on his brain. We have been getting good reports otherwise and all looks well. I am not on bed rest and still waddling around. I feel lucky that I am not miserable like a lot of twin moms. My bp is low and I still don't have any stretch marks! My Dr. is hoping I make it another 3 weeks, and since I have no thinning and/or dialation I am hoping to make it that far also. I have thier room all ready and big brother is really excited to. I can't wait to nurse and hold them. If baby A turns from a breech position we are a go for a vaginal delivery, but I am prepared for a c-section if it comes to that. Good to hear about all you other twin moms. Congratulations Gogi!!! Have a beautiful day mamas!
~jen
#250 of 303 Old 10-16-2002, 03:12 PM

Hi ladies,

So glad to hear from some of you! Keep up the good work.

Art of birthing,
The suspense is killing me! You seem to remain calm that it's just one heartbeat you heard but you could actually deliver twins! I'm still hoping it's twins! But the birth of one baby is great too! Take care of yourself.

hotmamacita,
Wow, I don't know what to say about your friend. That's a really tough situation. I can only send you positive thoughts and hope it helps you to make the right decision. It seems that you are capable of doinf this yourself and I also agree with the frustration of going to the hospital and them frowning upon you. At least that's what I thought would happen to me if I needed to go to the hospital. Sorry for the babble I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Best wishes for you and I hope your feeling better. Drink lots of water!!!

As for us we are heading for the terrible but terrific two's!

#251 of 303 Old 10-16-2002, 07:23 PM

Yes, mommy of twins, I understand. It's all good. God has given me a peace just not definates in outcome, as He is want to do. I have to trust in His peace and move forward which I am going to do. I can not move forward in fear, God certainly does not operate out of fear and make decisions based on what-ifs. I feel confident that we could have an unassisted, I just do not feel led to. Nor do I feel led to have a hospital birth.

Thank you for your positive thoughts. Keep 'em coming.
#252 of 303 Old 10-26-2002, 05:27 PM

Hello, how is EVERYONE doing? I have missed hearing your stories, thoughts, and advice?

My recent prenatal went well. I am feeling great from taking yellowdock, for iron, and swimming 3x/week. Really makes the difference for me.

I like the midwife who we have found here a lot. She is amazing. But I can not get this image and desire out of my heart to have my friend, who is a midwife, with me. It is almost as if I need her. I am planning to call her and share my heart with her when I get a chance to connect with her.

I am so convinced that midwifery calls upon something very feminine and spiritual within us. I am thankful for this process.

How are each of y'all doing?
#253 of 303 Old 10-26-2002, 07:50 PM

Hello, how is EVERYONE doing? I have missed hearing your stories, thoughts, and advice?

My recent prenatal went well. I am feeling great from taking yellowdock, for iron, and swimming 3x/week. Really makes the difference for me.

I like the midwife who we have found here a lot. She is amazing. But I can not get this image and desire out of my heart to have my friend, who is a midwife, with me. It is almost as if I need her. I am planning to call her and share my heart with her when I get a chance to connect with her.

I am so convinced that midwifery calls upon something very feminine and spiritual within us. I am thankful for this process.

How are each of y'all doing?
#254 of 303 Old 10-27-2002, 10:52 AM

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this thread. I too am expecting twins! I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with twin boys whom we are (so far) calling Jasper and Lucas. It is very exciting to read through all these posts. I am feeling really great these days after a rough first trimester. We found out there were two inside of me at 6 weeks, but I suspected it from the start due to my immediate and extreme morning sickness (now completely gone!). I am not, unfortunately, going to be having a homebirth, since I couldn't find any midwives who would deliver twins for a first-time mama. I am slowly letting go of all of my previous birth fantasies, and am just putting energy into hoping for healthy babies. I visualize them being head down even though their kicks often tell me otherwise. They still have plenty of time to get into position. I had an ultrasound last week--they are getting so cute! They each weigh over a pound and look great. They have separate sacs and placentas and everything, so they are most likely fraternal. I am starting to feel a bit large (having trouble bending over to tie my shoes), but am mostly still able to do everything I could do pre-pregnancy. I don't think that's going to last for long, though!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#255 of 303 Old 10-29-2002, 02:45 PM

Congratulations Lex!

Can I ask how you found out at 6 weeks? That seems early to me, but I don't know that much about the capabilities of testing. Was it an ultrasound that showed you 2?

Thanks and congratulations again
Sienna
#256 of 303 Old 10-31-2002, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Sienna!

It was an ultrasound that showed us at six weeks. I hadn't been planning on having ANY ultrasounds, but as soon as I got pregnant, I just *knew* it was twins. I first had a blood test to check my HCG levels. On day 14, they were 405, which was more than twice what they should have been, and definitely in the twin range. So I decided to have an ultrasound because a) I was going crazy wondering if my intuition was correct, and b) I knew that the midwife I wanted to use wouldn't treat me if it was twins. The babies didn't look like much at six weeks, but it was quite obvious that there were two of them!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#257 of 303 Old 10-31-2002, 01:45 PM

WOW! I was just curious. I think I might be carrying twins, but haven't done any testing yet. We haven't even started measuring. I will be able to stay with the same care, so that is a real luxury. I am curious though. And it would be good to know soon because I'ld have to convince my SIL to drop her and her husband's lives in Alabama to move here and help me

I am 11 wks and feeling good. Had some nausea (which I didn't have at all with #1) but that seems to have subsided

How's everyone else feeling?
#258 of 303 Old 11-01-2002, 02:36 AM

WOOO HOOO!Congrats lex!Good Golly Miss molly you two are going to soooo happy!Well you 4!

I had an ultrasound done at 6.5 weeks b/c I had some pretty heavy bleeding and very painful cramps.They saw one baby.So I went on thinkig I was having one totally oblivoius that there were two!Did not fin dout till almost 6 months!!!!!!Talk about blown away!!!But I was sooooooooo happy!

Glad to see everyone is doing well!!!!!
#259 of 303 Old 11-01-2002, 02:38 AM

Just wanted to ask you who are pregnant ,if you had any ?'s about what you will need for the babes when they are born.
Feel free to ask away,I know we will be more than happy to help you with that!!!!!In advance I will tell you to immediately get 2 or 4 if you can .........SLINGS.You will need them!!!!!
#260 of 303 Old 11-03-2002, 11:06 PM

charmarty,

yes, i have lots of questions. Most of all, what types of things would you recommend for the birth and afterwards. I know that is kind of general, but I find that oftentimes a woman has an instinct about what to share and I feel as if I want to drink in all advice and thoughts.

In addition, did you find that people were negative about planning a HB? How did you deal with the negativity and concern?

THanks!!!

33 weeks and feeling good (and BIG!)
#261 of 303 Old 11-05-2002, 01:20 AM

I have a question for those of you would have had twins in a hosptial. How far into labor did you decide to go into the hospital. I am in my 37 week with twins and feeling like it is almost time. With my first child I went in during the last 5 hours of a 28 hour labor. I couldn't imagine having gone in any earlier and being stuck at the hosptal for most of th labor. I talked with my midwife on and off till I went in. My doctors and I have agreed on a natural deliverywith this one also but we haven't talked about how soon I will come. I would love to hear comments
#262 of 303 Old 11-05-2002, 01:21 AM

ps I hope no one minds that I posted my question in the twins at home section....
#263 of 303 Old 11-05-2002, 03:01 AM

Hello to gcopley,
I was 39 weeks and I had been dilated to 3mm at my regular check up that day.I went into active labor at about 4am (my water broke). I called my midwife at 4:45am she arrived at 5am and I was dilated to 8. We called the OB and raced to the hospital. My first twin was born at 6:43am, my second baby was born at 7:51am. No drugs, no complications. I spent 38 hours laboring/delivering my first baby.toomany drugs, too many interventions.
Wait as long as you can. I had to go straighth to the OR and would have been miserable laboring for any length of time in that situation. Will your midwife come over to the house and labor with you? I wouldn't have known when to go to the hospital except that my midwife checked my cervix. She knew I was close but surprised how close I was.
#264 of 303 Old 11-05-2002, 04:21 AM

Hotmamacita~I did not have a HB with my twins.They were diagnosed with a VERY rare amnoitic defect at 6 months,and it made our pregnancy extriemly high risk,and also we knew they HAD to be delivered early.They were born at 34 weeks.Maybe later when you have had your babies if you want to know the whole story,I will tell you about it.So I cannot give you any advice on how to deal with negativity concerning that area.But I say you go girl!!!!!

As far as after the babies are born,you will need(in no particular order)
*washclothes,towels
*2 tubs if you can(I found it easier to try to have the babies do as much as possible at the same time.This your SO can help you with,plus its nice bonding time for all.
*LOTS OF FILM!!!!!!!!The best thing I can tekk you is document everything you want to remember forever,either by film,video camers,or journal(best if you do it all,but you may be too busy!)It is so hard for me to remember the first year especially.Even as I look back on the second,its a haze too.I am so glad I have lots of pictures and tons of vidoes.
*Lots of sleepers,and I mean lots if you dont wan tto do a load of laundry everyday.You will have your hands full if you are doing cloth anyways,save your energy for that.
*A really good breast pump.2 if you can so you can double pump.
*2 car seats
*If you are going to co sleep an extra bedrail or 2 will eventually come in handy.Depending on the sleep positions you choose.
*Again and I cant say it enough 2 or 4 if you can slings
*A really good breastfeeding pillow.Ilove my eazy-2-nurse foam pillow,others here like thier inflatable one.

Thans all I can think of for now,maybe others can jump in here and give you thiers too

gcopeley~CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!I dont think you need to worry about asking ANY questions here,we are all here for eachother,no matter how you birth.

Good luck to you all.You are doing soooo welllllll!!!!!!!!
#265 of 303 Old 11-05-2002, 04:25 AM

mommyoftwins~I am so sorry,I just say your post way ip ther,I dont know how I missed it.I was not ignoring you honest.

Thank you though
They are 2 now!Where did that go??????I want another set now.This time I would love to have id boys.
But dh is not so willing........Oh well who needs him I say!This is the yea2002!
#266 of 303 Old 11-05-2002, 06:39 PM

Thanks mamas for the replies. I do not have a midwife at this hospital That has taken some getting to as I started this pregancy with a lay midwife and had been planning on a homebirth but she does not do twin births and she was the only midwife in the area who did. My plan is to hold out at home as long as I am confortable doing so but it is nice to hear other experiences. I had not gotten a good breastfeeding pillow ( I had thought my boppie would do) but now I have been told a few times how I really should get one. I am going to look into it. I do use slings and have two new ones ready for use (my 3 yr old is quite attached to his and it is like a security blanket now, didn't want to make him share when he will already be sharing so much). The babes will be sleeping with us. Our 3 year old has never left our bed so it will be a full house. I couldn't imagine any other way, especially during those beginning sleepless nights. Can I just say that I am ready to go! This last week the BH's have been so intense I wake up every hour at night to pee and then have to wait about 5 or minutes afterwards for the BH to subside. Everything suddenly feels very squished. I am glad to have made it this far though. Can't complain too much as they seem to be growing well and healthy Wow Cakes, your 2nd labor went so quickly! I am hoping that this second does also!
#267 of 303 Old 11-11-2002, 12:26 AM

Wow this thread is amazingly long!!! I am glad to hear all the good reports and see new posters. I have made it to 37 weeks ladies and I go in for another nst tommorow morning. We have hit a few bumps in the road, but are staying possitive. Lucas (baby b) will need surgurey soon after birth for the fluid on his brain, and Jonas (baby a) has fallen off the growth chart because he has barely gained in the last three weeks. The boys share a placenta and Lucas is hogging it all from his brother. The perinatologyst wants them to be delivered on Tues. or Wed., and it will be a c-section unless the bottom twin turns head down. This pregnancy has been a wild emotional ride, but I am sad that it is at the end. Never did I dream that I would have such a medicalized pregnancy/birth, but I am so thankful for the medical technology we do have. A peace has come over me and I know that these babies will be fine and dandy, and we are ready for them to be here with us. I still don't have stretch marks, but I feel like I'm gonna split in two from all the pressure. My milk has come in and I have woken up to a soaked shirt several times this week...lol. Please keep us in your thoughts mamas because I am nervous about my baby having surgurey so soon and I may not be able to travel with him right away because I will be in recovery too and the hospital he will go to is almost 3 hrs away. I can't imagine. So, the next time I post will hopefully be a wonderful birth announcement! Take care all you beautiful pregnant mamas, and try to relish in it even though it can sometimes be hard it is so very beautiful to give life. (especially two )
~jen
#268 of 303 Old 11-11-2002, 12:36 AM

twinsb3,
My good thoughts are with you over the next few weeks. i hope everything goes smoothly and look forwrd to hearing about the latest set of "twins at home" twins. Amazing how we have sooo many variations on the twins at home theme.
Cakes
#269 of 303 Old 11-11-2002, 09:59 PM

My thoughts are with you and your boys twinsb3. We both have little Lucas's on the way!
#270 of 303 Old 12-04-2002, 02:05 AM

Hi, mommy of twins. It is always encouraging to hear your story.

All is well. Babies are head down and I am big and slow.

I'll keep y'all posted.

38 weeks (b/g twins)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page