twins at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 303 Old 06-22-2002, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who has a very attached 3.5 year old (still nursing) who has just found out she's having twins. Her first was born at home, no complications, and she hates the fact that this pregnancy is being treated as "high risk" with no possibility of homebirth, and a very high likelyhood of a c-section. Anyone know anything about normal, natural twin births?

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 303 Old 06-22-2002, 07:45 AM

tiffani,

See if you can get ahold of breathingmom by pming her. She doesn't post on these boards much anymore although she posted on this topic just today in the Midwives forum. She had a fantastic homebirth with twins. If you can't get ahold of her, let me know. I can email her -just need to locate her address.

Alison
#3 of 303 Old 06-22-2002, 11:46 AM

Yes, it's possible. My midwife has done a couple of twin homebirths. The biggest factor, I think, is the position of the babes at the time of birth. Head down or butt down, it doesn't matter that much... but she has to be sure that one is not transverse... and she has to be sure that her attending caregiver has had experience catching twins.
#4 of 303 Old 06-22-2002, 12:25 PM

Tiffani,

I had my twins at home almost five years ago. Since then I have discovered that it can be very hard to find a midwife to attend a homebirth of twins. I understand your friends concerns and frustrations with being labeled "high risk". Luckily our midwife chose to consider it a "special needs" pregnancy instead.

After touring the hospital that we would need to go to if the babies were premature, I was adement about staying out of the hospital situation. Most (if not all) of the hospitals in Washington state required that you be moved to the operating room when it was time to deliver the babies. I knew that my labor would come to an abrupt halt if that happened to me and most likely lead to interventions that I would not want to happen.

My daughters were born at 37 1/2 weeks with a wonderful group of midwives and midwife students. Both were over 7 pounds and wonderfully healthy. We allowed the second baby to come on her own time rather than forcing her out in five minutes. There was an hour and a half between the babies.

I would recommend the following things for your friend:

#1 Surround yourself with people who do not see a twin pregnancy as "high risk".

#2 Maintain a high protein diet (especially in the last trimester) to keep the babies from becoming premature. I believe this is key!

#3 Read the book "Having Twins" by Elizabeth Noble.

#4 Have her email me at: birthingtwins@yahoo.com.

While it can be challenging for your friend to find a midwife that will attend her (she may have to go to another area) I think it will be worth her while to continue a search for someone who is willing to do it. A lot of times it is just that the midwives do not have much experience with twin births.

I personally know two other mothers who have had their twins with midwives and who have had beautiful birthing experiences with wonderful outcomes.

Please tell your friend congratulations and that she is at the beginning of one incredible adventure! Blessings, Jill
#5 of 303 Old 06-24-2002, 11:23 AM

I would highly recommend the Brewer diet--see www.blueribbonbaby.org. We're ttc, and I've been reading about it to prepare--had a very low birth weight baby last time, and want to do all I can to prevent that. It's very high protein, and doesn't place restrictions on weight gain--with twins when moms follow the diet, babies are usually full term and a good weight.
#6 of 303 Old 06-24-2002, 05:31 PM

I'm in Arkansas, and it's illegal here for a lay midwife to attend a twin birth--I have heard it through the grapevine that some will do it anyway. I went to a CNM clinic, but the babies came at 32 weeks, and the midwives weren't allowed to attend the birth unless it went to 35 weeks.

I can hardly say that I got the birth I wanted, but I managed to avoid epidural despite much medical protest. One male nurse was trying to convince my husband that I needed to have the epidural, "In case we need to slap a section on her." They made me deliver in the operating room, but I didn't have a c-section. Both babies were head down and born healthy. They spent three weeks in the NICU.

One of the babies was breech almost the entire pregnancy. I was told to try pelvic tilts to get the baby to turn, and I think that's what did it.

Good luck to your friend!
#7 of 303 Old 06-24-2002, 06:38 PM

I believe Sheila Kirtingzer (sp?)--the lady who wrote a book on Home Birth had her twins at home with no complications of course.
I really don't see a problem with it as long as the mom is healthy and the labor isn't preterm (before 36 weeks for twins I believe) and as long as the midwife feels comfortable and confident. I think that feeling of confidence does make a difference for both the mom and the midwife.
I hope your friend gets the home birth she wants.
Kylix
#8 of 303 Old 06-28-2002, 12:20 AM

I seem to remember reading in another thread, your mentioning that this friend had planned on giving birth unassisted but gave up the thought upon finding out she had twins. Personally, I think the reasons you gave above are perfect examples of why unassisted birth is often preferable in a situation where a healthy variation of normal will be treated as a complication.

Almost any birth attendant she finds will be on high alert, lending fear and stress to the environment and along with it, dangerous and unnecessary intervention or at least inhibiting her in birth. So long as nothing is wrong with her or the babies that requires some sort of medical treatment, I don't see why she shouldn't continue to explore her heart's desire of unassisted birth. In my opinion it could turn out the be the safest birth possible in that situation.

She may want a little more post partum help, cleaning and cooking and that sort of thing that may be doubly difficult with twins, but just as breech birth flows best "hands off", a twin birth will likey flow best with the hands, eyes, and ears of outsiders respectfully away from the birthing space. I do know that other women have safely given birth to twins without birth assistants, and some stories can be read at www.unassistedchildbirth.com. I found one by searching the stories pages at: http://ucbirth.com/coreytwins.htm
Hope that's helpful! Laurie
#9 of 303 Old 06-30-2002, 05:34 PM

I was just about to post a thread on the same topic. I am 33 weeks pregnant with twins and we are still planning a home birth. My practice is a group of doctors and midwives who do homebirth and they have sone many twin births at home. The conditions I have to meet are that i at least go to 36 weeks and the baby presenting first is head down. Right now the bottom baby is head down and the other is breech. So far i am good to go for homebirth (although I would feel more comfortable if they were both head down). I was curious about others experiences at home with twins.
#10 of 303 Old 07-03-2002, 03:31 AM

gogi, it sounds like things are going good for you! How are you feeling?

It is wonderful that you have people who will attend your homebirths! Our daughters came at 37 1/2 weeks. We had a wonderful experience and being at home was incredible!

I hope you keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you! Blessings, Jill
#11 of 303 Old 07-03-2002, 07:54 PM

Things are going great. I am 33 weeks and my last visit was on Monday. The babies seem to be fine. I am busy eating, eating, eating. I am sick of eating. I have no appetite so this has been a challenge. I am making sure I am eating 150 grams of protien a day and drinking plenty of water. My family is helping out with my 2 year old so i can get rest. The only thing that keeps me worried is the amount and strength of my Braxton-Hicks contractions. This has been going on the whole pregnancy and there is no cervical dilation yet.

My husband and I just went to buy the supplies for the home birth (matress protector, underpads, washcloths etc.). I am lucky to have a practice who will allow for homebirth with twins. They have treated me and this pregnancy like it is a normal event. Go figure. I will keep you updated on what is happening. I have to get to 36 weeks to be able to birth at home. I would love to go the full 40 but will feel relief when I make it to 36.
#12 of 303 Old 07-04-2002, 07:53 PM

gogi, I also had a lot of contractions through out the pregnancy. At around 34 weeks I could not walk around the block without getting them!

I understand your frustration with eating all the time, it can be a real challenge! It sounds like you have educated yourself and that you are doing a great job of keeping those babies in there!

When I was pregnant I loved soy protein drinks. Since I didn't have much room for food, it was much easier to get a drink down! I would use yogurt, milk, vanilla flavored soy protein, and fresh fruit (especially frozen strawberries).

How are you sleeping? Are you able to get comfortable? At about 36 l/2 weeks I started sleeping in a recliner. I could lay it back to sleep and then when I had to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom I would catapolt myself out of the chair.

Keep in touch! Blessings, Jill
#13 of 303 Old 07-05-2002, 01:51 PM

I have been drinking protien drinks. It has been very hot lately and they have had the added benefit of cooling me off. I don't eat any sugar so no ice cream or frozen yogurt, but fruit juices with the protien and fresh fruit have worked out well.

Sleeping has been terrible. I have a hard time relaxing body and mind. My husband has to give me a massage every night just so I can fall asleep. Now that I am getting up at least 5 times to go to the bathroom it is hard getting back to sleep. I also eat a hard boiled egg evry time I get up during the night. The last 2 nights I have had to wake him up to help me back to sleep. I don't have a recliner, but that sounds like exactly what i need. I arranged pillows on my couch so I was in a reclined position and slept half the night like that. I almost dread night time because I know I won't be able to slip into a deep sleep.

I am glad to hear that others have had the same experience with contractions. They can be kind of scarry when they are so strong and frequent.
#14 of 303 Old 07-05-2002, 05:07 PM

Jeannine Parvati Baker (author of Prenatal Yoga and Natural Birth) had her twins at home. She actually left the hospital while she was in labor after being told she needed a C-section. Everything went fine. You'll find some interesting twin stories here - http://ucbirth.com/twins.htm

Personally I believe you're safer having twins at home than you are in the hospital. Good luck!
Laura
http://ucbirth.com
#15 of 303 Old 07-05-2002, 09:46 PM

laurashanley, those are beautiful stories and pictures!!! Thank you so much for sharing them!! I think Mom's who are pregnant with twins need to hear as many positive stories as they can! Blessings, Jill
#16 of 303 Old 07-06-2002, 12:06 AM

I couldn't have read those stories at a better time. Tonight I started feeling a little afraid of the birth and the "what-ifs". It was encouraging to read all the positive stories. I remember with my first birth that I read a couple pages of Spiritual Midwifery everyday just to keep positive thoughts about by upcoming birth. These stories have kind of the same effect.
#17 of 303 Old 07-07-2002, 11:30 PM

Hi ladies!

I also had my twins at home naturally and drug free. It was the greatest experience in my life. I wanted to be at home from the begining because I'm not to keen on hospitals. When I found out at 18wks. I was pregnant w/twins my midwife at the time said I was "high risk" and wouldn't be able to have a homebirth. Needless to say I switched midwives! I had to drive an hour to her office but it was completely worth it! I gave birth at 37wks. both girls were head down (I don't know if I owe that to my husband who is a chiropractor and performed the Webster technique on me or if the babies just knew what to do). I was in labor for 22hrs. and the second baby wanted to stay inside! She finally came out 3 1/2 hrs. after her sister. I liked having control of my birth.

During pregnancy I drank at least 2 protein shakes a day in order to get the 100-150 grams of protein. I took the Bradley Method class and that helped inspire my homebirth.

Hope this helps!
#18 of 303 Old 07-08-2002, 07:06 PM

Tammy, thanks for sharing your story! Did you have the support of friends and family or did they think you were crazy?

Was it important for you to hear other positive natural twin birth stories? If so, were you able to find any?

Are your girls your first babies? (The other moms that I personally know all had twins that were later in the birth order). I am so excited that there is someone else out there that had a wonderful homebirth of twins! I am really glad that you can join us in sharing your experience! Blessings, Jill
#19 of 303 Old 07-08-2002, 07:27 PM

Leilah McCracken just posted this on a list I'm on and I thought I'd pass it along.
Laura

Excerpt from Having Twins and more, 3rd edition, 2003. Boston, Houghton
Mifflin. Elizabeth Noble. www.elizabethnoble.com

Triplets Born at Home after a Previous Caesarean

The three bouncing babies shown in the birth announcement were all born at home.

This story began when Mary simply sought a natural birth after her first child was delivered by Caesarean. While the general policy held by the doctors in her small town was to allow a trial of labor for a subsequent birth she felt she would have had was "hope with a very uncertain outcome."

Therefore, Mary looked for a midwife who would assist her at home. When it become apparent that "twins" were on the way, she felt it would be impossible to achieve the vaginal birth she wanted if she "plugged in to the medical establishment." Thus, she decided against an ultrasound, feeling that it would be only the beginning of a lot of medical interference. As the
midwives would never have agreed to a home birth for triplets, Mary is glad that she did not have the ultrasound!

Carrying twins under the care of any of her local doctors would have meant a Caesarean at thirty-eight weeks "to avoid uterine rupture from the uterus growing too large." Mary¹s midwife says,

"I agreed to help Mary and her husband do their prenatal care and see what things felt like when she got closer to term. I didn¹t feel right sending her off for a lot of obstetric technology she didn¹t want and a C section she didn¹t need, so we started looking for ways to make it feel safe at home. They didn¹t want an ultrasound and I didn¹t take the possibility of more than two babies very seriously, although the father asked if I thought
there could be more than two after reading Having Twins."

Mary¹s husband was working in the home and available to help at the end of pregnancy. During the last few weeks, Mary rested in bed a lot of the time and was lucky to have a good friend staying with her. She helped feed Mary and provided the couple with invaluable emotional support. Eating every couple of hours, Mary took in about 200 grams of protein a day and gained
nearly 70 pounds.

Two midwives took turns visiting Mary every other day to check her urine and blood pressure, which remained normal. One week after the due date, labor began. The first two babies were born, head-first and uneventfully, nine minutes apart. At this point the family doctor, who had been listening to the heart rates and checking her belly, said that she felt a head. The midwife reached in and felt a foot way up high, but the baby was facing Mary¹s front so the midwife turned her around to face the back. This breech baby was delivered ten minutes after the second. Next, with three umbilical cords dangling from her vagina, Mary pushed out the one single placenta and two fused placentas. No episiotomy was necessary, and there was only a slight tear after delivering the breech baby. The first-born was a boy of 6
1/2 pounds. The second-born was a girl who weighed 6 pounds, 14 ounces, and the third, the largest, was a girl weighing 7 pounds. The total weight of the three babies was over 20 pounds! All three babies nursed within the first hour and were entirely breast-fed for five months.

Mary had a little trouble urinating at first, as the size and stretch reflex of her bladder was diminished from months of pressure. This cleared up within a few hours after birth. For a week or so, her balance was shaky when walking because her skin and muscles were so loose that "her belly swung back and forth" when she moved! But she has three wonderful, healthy
children, born without any medical intervention and for a total financial outlay of only $1,000 (although the midwives did not even ask for that much).

As midwifery services were not covered in her state by health insurance, the family practice doctor billed the insurance company. However because there were no complications or special equipment, the insurance paid only for a single birth! This is deplorable, when a hospital birth of a singleton could
not be had for as little as $1,000 at that time. Perversely inverse
insurance reimbursement is yet another way to penalize natural birth. In this "triple high-risk" pregnancy- triplet, vaginal birth after previous Caesarean, home birth- the mother¹s competence and self-reliance should have been rewarded. She saved herself, the insurance company and society at large, hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs. In fact, Mary had a friend
in her town who also had triplets, but under the "care" of an obstetrician who restricted her weight again and put her on bed rest. The babies were preterm and low birth weight, spending weeks in NICU and costing a fortune paid for by health insurance.

I believe all women should be supported in their birth choices. It is better to plan intelligently with committed caregivers than to do as one mother of twins did: she tricked a doctor into responding to her "single" delivery in a motel room because she didn¹t want a hospital birth!

-----

Leilah McCracken,
<leilah@birthlove.com>

BirthLove-The Revolutionary Passion of Mothering...
Bringing activism and mothering into a cohesive, loving domain.
<http://www.birthlove.com>

1,200+ pages of women's and children's health articles, birth stories, free
eBooks, c-sec/VBAC information and wisdom, natural parenting articles,
online forums, homebirth support, activism and news items, Contributing
Experts' articles, and so much more. Sign the Petition for the Rights of
Childbearing Women: <http://www.birthlove.com/petition/petition.html>
#20 of 303 Old 07-09-2002, 12:04 AM

Hi Jill,

The twins were my first birth, and yes my whole family thought I was crazy. My mom was nervous but she went along w/ my decision to have a homebirth. When I went into labor we didn't let anyone know except for my mother because I wanted her to be with me. I didn't want everyone coming over to the house. I wanted to be able to do whatever in my house and still feel comfortable. Now my mom has a brag story! I never got to talk to anyone that had a twin homebirth I just did a lot of reading to prepare myself.

Nice talking with you!

#21 of 303 Old 07-10-2002, 01:09 AM

Thought I would let you all know that i had my 34 week visit and things seem to be fine. They are estimating the babies to be at about 5lbs. each and the vertex baby is at -1 station. The other baby is lying transverse across the top. I am icm dilated and have gained 60 lbs. so far. my goal is just to rest and eat for the next three weeks. I need to make it to 37 for my homebirth.

Thanks for the tip about sleeping in the recliner. My husband borrowed one from his mother nad I have slept a couple hours each night in the recliner. I switch back and forth from the recliner to the bed when I wake up during the night. I appreciate all your stories and great tips. I hope we can keep this thread going.

I just developed a rash called PUPPs. It is extremely itchy
Has anyone had it?
#22 of 303 Old 07-10-2002, 03:26 AM

gogi, it's so great to hear that your appointment went well! I am sure that you can make it to 37 weeks! Your plan of eating and resting sounds like a good one!

I'm glad the recliner suggestion helped. I remember how difficult it was to get up from the bed in the middle of the night! It's so worth it though! Pretty soon you will be holding those two beautiful babies and you won't have to worry about them being premature!

I am not familiar with Pupps. You might consider posting about it on the "Health & Healing" forum or the "Pregnancy" forum. I am willing to bet there is someone on these boards who will have some great solutions and ideas for you. Does the itching keep you up at night?

I would love to keep this thread going! It is so fun to take this journey with you! It is such an amazing experience to be a mother of twins. When people see my girls and say "double trouble", I always say "no, just twice the love"!!

Thanks for the update! We'll be here to cheer you on!!! Jill
#23 of 303 Old 07-10-2002, 05:46 PM

The itching is not keeping me up, but when I wake up I start scratching in a half sleep and itgets really annoying. I just keep applying lotion and trying to keep my mind off of it.
#24 of 303 Old 07-10-2002, 11:21 PM

gogi,

If it's the same thing I had my stomach itched so bad because of the stretching. I tried all types of cream but the only relief I would get would be to take a shower. Sounds weird but it worked. I gained 45lbs. total with my girls I don't know if I mentioned they were 5lb. 14oz. and 6lbs. 11oz.

Take care and hang in there your doing great!
#25 of 303 Old 07-12-2002, 12:07 PM

tiffani, if you don't mind me asking, how is your friend doing? Has she had any luck?

gogi, how are you? Are you choosing to have ultrasounds? (I had two). Have you picked out names yet? Since we did not want to know the sex of the babies we had to come up with four names! That was tough for us!

I gained over 60 pounds with my dd's. I don't think it is that important to keep track of though, I think it's best to trust your body. I remember before I found out that I was pregnant with twins I had to go somewhere on a long trip with my Mom. I was so embarrassed because I was eating so much and she didn't say anything but I knew she was watching me. Then when I found out I was having twins I understood why I was soooo hungry! It was a great lesson for me!

I remember at about 35 1/2 weeks I had a hard time getting up from the toilet. What a funny thing to remember! I guess it was because I was having to pee so often!

Take care and know that we are here! ~Jill
#26 of 303 Old 07-12-2002, 04:36 PM

Breathingmom,

I have had three ultrasounds. I shouldn't have any more unless I make it to 39 weeks. If I do go that far they want to check the amniotic fluid level. we do not know the sex of the babies, so we have to pick out 4 names. We have it pretty much decided but I want to see them and decided what suits them. The names are:

girl/girl
- Fiona Elizabeth
- Violet Camille

girl/boy
-Fiona Elizabeth
- Killian Joseph

boy/boy
-Killian Joseph
-Fergus Cullom

I still like the names Naomi and Oona but they don't seem to fit very well.

I am not feeling great lately. My body aches. My joints feel almost arthritic. I have trouble standing up, it feels like my knees are going to give out. The biggest problem is that I am not getting much sleep and can't take naps. I feel almost like I have taken a drug that makes me feel agitated or that I have had to much caffine and feel wired. This is very strange because i do not eat any sugar or caffine. I remember having that sensation at night with my first pregnancy but not this bad. I am guessing it is a reaction to hormone levels. Any suggestions?

I am 34 1/2 weeks now and starting to feel anxious for the births.
#27 of 303 Old 07-13-2002, 09:40 PM

gogi, the names you have picked are great! I especially like the name Fiona. Do you have any instincts about what sex the babies will be?

I thought that I was having boy/girl twins and was very surprised when my second daughter arrived!

I remember the the last weeks before the girls were born as being physically challenging. Your body is working so hard to grow these two precious babes! I also remember being so ready to have them physically but uncertain of my ability to care for twins and my young son (my ds was almost three when my dd's were born). I knew I would love them, I just wasn't sure of my ability to keep on top of it with three. It wasn't until a couple months after they were born that I was certain that I could do it. I had to learn to let the house go and sleep whenever I could. I also had help every day for the first six months (thank God for grandparents)!!

I enjoy watching the special bond between my dd's. Their relationship is so incredible! I always feel that whatever they may have lacked from me (attention wise) they have gained back double fold in their relationship with each other.

I don't know about the wired feeling that you are having. I did not have that. Did any of you other moms of twins have that sensation? Sorry that I cannot be of help with that.

You are in the home stretch! Hang in there and keep in touch! Your babies are so lucky that you are working so hard to give them a great start in life! Blessings, Jill
#28 of 303 Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 PM

Gogi,

The names you chose are perfect! I wish I had some advice for the way you are feeling but I never experienced that. Maybe you are overdoing it and your body is telling you to get some rest before these babies arrive. Did you try sleeping with a body pillow? I had trouble sleeping on our bed because it was to hard, then we went out to buy our king size family bed and that was more comfortable for me. Just hang in there and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care!
#29 of 303 Old 07-14-2002, 11:39 PM

I feel like at least one of these babies is a girl. I don't know if it is intuition or if I just can't imagine myself with 3 boys! I am trying to line up people who can help me out after the babies are born. My whole family works and it is hard to find people available. My mother would be perfect but she is giving 24 hour care to her parents. One is bedridden with parkinson's disease and the other has alzhiemer's. It is an undrstatement to say that her hands are full. I am sure I will be able to work something out.

I am sleeping with a body pillow and an assortment of other pillows. Sometimes it is good for me to also spend some time in the recliner and then switch to the bed. I slept well last night. The constant waking up to go to the bathroom and eat is part of the problem.

today I was having trouble fitting any food in and had to resort to protien smoothies for a while. I also have a head nudging my ribs. It is amazing how you can feel the growth of the babies from day to day. Thanks for all you advice and encouragement. I will have my next visit on Tuesday (35 weeks!) and my birthing tub should be delivered any day now. I am getting excited!
#30 of 303 Old 07-16-2002, 01:22 PM

gogi, how did your appointment go today? You are at 35 weeks! Whooohooo! You are doing such a great job keeping those babies in there!!

When my parents and in-laws were not available we had a midwife student who came and helped with the kids. She was wonderful and loved learning more about twin babies. It was hard for me to admit I needed help, I am really independent.

It's hard to eat when there is so little room, huh? The smoothies saved me! I swear that there was no room left in the final weeks until they dropped a little!

The birthing tub sounds great! Did you use one with your first ds? I have a funny memory about our birthing tub. We had a hose hooked up in the bathroom and one of the midwife students used the bathroom. She accidently bumped the hose off the faucet and didn't notice. We had a flood in the hallway, there was water everywhere. We got a good laugh out of it!

Hang in there gogi! You are getting closer to holding those babies!! blessings~Jill

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page