uc support thread #6, July - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
those are beautiful pictures, *mamajaza*.
#122 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 01:50 AM

Just wanted to say....YAY!!! You did it! What a beautiful little babe. Kudos and happy babymoon. Awesome.
#123 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 AM

hello ladies!

i first introduced myself ages ago-- back on the first or second uc thread, i think.

anyway, i'm christina, and dh and i are expecting our first baby in november. mid-november, more or less-- even though i know exactly when i conceived, i try to be as nonspecific about due dates as possible to *everybody*. can't handle the questions, and it keeps *me* from getting too hung up on a date, too. :-) it's amazing to me, though-- as soon as someone finds out that i'm pregnant, the first question is, "but *when* in november?" followed quickly by, "is it a boy or a girl?" it really shows how different the priorities are when you embrace the uc mindset, you know?

congrats on all the recent babies! i've been reading this thread recently, but not consistently, and i'm happily shocked by all the new babies that have happened! :-) hearing about new babies always puts me in a good mood.

as far as telling people our plans-- dh and i tend to lean on the side of caution and not be too open about our intention to uc. dh used to be more willing to talk to people about it, but after overhearing the argument i had with my mother over it (my mom promptly freaked out on me), he's become a lot more circumspect. i agree with the poster who said that pregnancy is not the time to argue with people about birth plans. myself, i want to spend my energy taking care of myself and enjoying my pregnancy, not trying to convince people that what i'm doing is "right". even when i wasn't pregnant, i tended to hold my tongue regarding my feelings about birth unless someone specifically asked for my advice-- and then i let it rip! :-) when people ask, i just say we're having a homebirth, and leave it at that, unless they ask for more detail, and then where i go next in the conversation depends on my relationship with the person. usually though, saying i'm doing it at home is enough to drop an uncomfortable silence into the conversation, followed by a change in subject. *shrug* maybe with a "more power to you" thrown in there for good measure. :-)

nice to meet you all!

christina in marietta, ga

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#124 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:09 PM

Thank-you everyone for the congrats!

I'm feeling really good. I had a bit of bleeding after she was born, but I took 10 drops of motherwort tincture, and it stopped very quickly afterwards. I drank RRL tea during labour, and also took homeopathic arnica and rubbed arnica gell on my belly... for those of you are wondering how I had such a painless birth. I love my herbal allies!!

I had feelings of doubt during the labour, which suprised me. It was just sooo easy, I thought, is this it??? I kept checking myself, and yep, I was totally dialated, but I felt like I was waiting for labour to really get going, but I was totally dialated. What a trip. lots of fun.

She was born with the water bag around her head, and it popped as I felt it, with her face still inside. She started to move her head around too, and I felt some weird thing next to her face, of which I am not sure what it is... like a big blood clot, but attached to the sac. It looks kind of like a liver, very small, and strange. I still have to look at it some more.. the placenta is in the fridge.

I'm going to prepare my placenta today, I think. Better sooner than later, and I feel totally great to be up and about.

ETA:Keep checking my picture link, cause I'm adding pics daily.
#125 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
What a trip. lots of fun.
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I hadn't seen any posts from you, and I was wondering if your Birthing Day had come!!

Congratulations!!
#126 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:33 PM

*Mamajaza* Thanks for sharing the pics! I especially love the one of you at 38+weeks! And, I love seeing your birth altar! I've gotta take some pictures of mine & finalize it. (It keeps changing.) Your belly cast is awesome. Have to, have to, have to do that this time. Of course, I love seeing the new baby! So so sweet.

I'm so happy for you!
#127 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
and also took homeopathic arnica and rubbed arnica gell on my belly... for those of you are wondering how I had such a painless birth. I love my herbal allies!!
Do you mind sharing which arnica remedy you took & which one you rubbed on your belly?
#128 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:44 PM

Oh mamajaza! Your girls are just precious! Congrats and I am so glad you are doing well.

Jesse-You are beautiful!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#129 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:47 PM

the arnica was 30c strength.. made by Boiron. The arnica gel was made by boiron as well.

I was also wary of getting in the birth pool I had set up in my living room. As when I gave birth to my first DD, it was hard, and I spent almost all my time in the pool. I felt like there might be something in the PVC that affects the rushes, so I went in the bathtub instead.
#130 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 02:47 PM

Gr8flmom,
Does "born in the caul" mean born in the sack/with sack intact?
#131 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygirl
Anyone having really really wacko pregnant dreams?
Any thoughts?
If you want, you could visit:
www.dreamschool.org
where some dream language/symbology is discussed. They will also "interpret" your dream for free if you email it to them.

I've emailed a few dreams to www.dreamschool.org and thought it was interesting to read their thoughts...

You may want to keep a journal beside your bed & write your dream upon awakening. I've done this since high school. Sometimes I immediately know what my dream is telling me!

Sweet Dreams!!

I had one birth dream a couple weeks ago, and it was fabulous! The birthing was so simple & easy & the baby was so beautiful!
#132 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I am so proud of my self that I gave birth unhindered and unassisted. But at the same time it seems like the only way it was meant to be.

Life is Beautiful

Congratulations!
#133 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajaza
I am so proud of my self that I gave birth unhindered and unassisted. But at the same time it seems like the only way it was meant to be.
I just had re-requote this lol. This pinpoints exactly how I felt after I UC'd - it was the most incredible thing yet the most normal thing that had ever happened to me. I just can't wait to do it again

And aw shucks mamas thanks It's hot in NC and my hair :flip was making me go and I knew I could do with one less hassle in my life, I can at least have control over my hair so what the hey
#134 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 05:50 PM

what beautiful pictures!!!

does anyone know if it means anything if nipple stimulation does nothing...?

i was trying that last night + this morning and nothing: no hugs, no cramps, nothing.

everything i've read said it's supposed to bring on hugs immediately... all it's doing for me is making me get soaked with colustrum.
#135 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 07:03 PM

i'm so proud of you for following your heart and birthing so beautifully! what an amazing couple of girls you have!

enjoy your babymoon...

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#136 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 09:07 PM

Congratulations mamajaza!!!!!!!!
#137 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I have to say I have a much higher sex drive when I am not pregnant. I still want to have sex, but not as frequently, and it doesn't seem I have the same intensity of physical sensations.
I feel like it doesn't matter if I have sex or not. I'm seriously wondering about my sex drive/libido. I used to have that years ago, but it's been sooooo long. ?? I don't know what the deal is.

It's a wonder (truly) that I have dd & a little one on the way. We've had sex so few times in the last 6 years (got married July 25, 1998). We did have more sex when I was in college & went to parties & formals & dances, where we'd had alcohol. But, I don't drink anymore. Poor dh. I do feel sorry for him, because I know that guys are sex machines. I'm very grateful to not be living in the day & age when "women are to give their husbands what they need" or whatever, as I've heard my friends in their 70's talk about.

But, I do really, really love physical touch. I love to get massages & cuddle with dd & hold babies & all of that! Looking forward to a little nurser!! I have colostrum these days.
#138 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 11:10 PM

mamajaza,

i am very happy to hear about your little newborn girl. it sounds like everything went smoothly. i am wishing the best for you and your family. hopefully, you are able to take lots of time to rest and relax.

take care,
julie

p.s. i enjoyed seeing the pictures.
#139 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Leigh
Gr8flmom,
Does "born in the caul" mean born in the sack/with sack intact?
So, I think I know about 5 caul babies here on MDC including Mamajaza's

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
does anyone know if it means anything if nipple stimulation does nothing...?

i was trying that last night + this morning and nothing: no hugs, no cramps, nothing
Nipple stimulation never did anything for me, either, until I was actually in labor. Then it sped it up a whole lot when it stalled. I tried it almost everyday, including the day before labor started once I got to 41 weeks

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#140 of 286 Old 07-11-2004, 11:57 PM

hmmm ... yeah ... the only thing it's done for me today + last night has been make me sleepy.
#141 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Hello my fellow unhindered childbirth supporters!!

Well, **SHE** is here! Born July 9th, 2004, at 12:53pm.I was so convinced I was going to have a boy. What a suprise. I don't have a name for her yet.
WONDERFUL!! YAY! Congratulations!! I was just thinking of you today!! I haven't been reading the thread here since last week : and I wondered if you had gone into labor. What a peaceful birth it sounds like!! Your girl is beautiful and the picture of you tandem nursing is so peaceful and loving.

way to go!!! :
#142 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 03:13 AM

lovemygirl ~ i LOVE the quote in your sigline!
#143 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 03:21 AM

Quote:
lovemygirl ~ i LOVE the quote in your sigline!

THANKS! I got it from a website that had lots of them...let me see if I can find the link...oh! Here it is: http://www.mother-care.ca/birth_quotes.htm

How are the hugs? Any today? Wishing you peaceful birthing vibes!!! I am sorry that the nipple stimulation isn't working! How about ingesting your partner's.....um.....ahem..."stuff"... LOL My friend always said that the prostaglandins work better when taken internally rather than "applied" to the cervix via intercourse. :LOL! HAVE FUN!
#144 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 03:30 AM

the thought of internal prostaglandins make me feel like throwing up.

a couple of hugs.

the nipple stimulation only made me sleepy. i finally stopped because my girlies were getting sore.

so... she'll come when she's ready.
#145 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 03:53 AM

Quote:
the thought of internal prostaglandins make me feel like throwing up.

I am sorry that its not a pleasant thought... perhaps when you are in the throws of it you could just hold your nose and swallow???? :

I dunno, I have only done that once and I wasn't pg and I can understand wanting to throw up! LOL!

Yep baby will come when you are relaxed and at peace and when he/she is ready! to you!
#146 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 AM

Quote:
perhaps when you are in the throws of it you could just hold your nose and swallow????
you know, i considered asking him to mix some of his... uh... prostaglandins with lemonade... but he said it would kill them.

we better stop talking about this though or the mods are going to come and shut the thread down.

#147 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 AM

I've got a question to all of you other UCers. How do you keep from letting others get to you? I mean, our western culture says that birth is dangerous. Rationally, I know that it isn't. I know that mortality rates have gone down in the past century and a half because of sanitation (I mean, human waste once polluted the streets -- it wasn't even close to being clean). When I hear of a baby being saved by modern medicine, I do know what modern medicine actually did. One of the saved babies I have in my mind was saved because of being induced at 34 weeks and the lungs not being developed. Another one, the doctors didn't actually do anything although the mother gives them credit. The hospital was full and there were not delivery rooms available, she was ready, so she started pushing out her baby alone in her labor room. A med-wife came in to check on her and panicked because she saw feet (causing mom to panic), had her stop pushing, and got doctors there. Supposedly, the baby's heart stopped beating 3 times. But the baby was in utero, the doctors did not perform any kind of resuscitation on the baby (I know "heart stoppage" was just the monitor not in the right place), and she did push out her breach baby, stressed, and with lots of medical professionals at her bum who probably walked off congratulating themselves. Rationally, I know that childbirth is safe and that assistance is needed only 5-10% of the time. I know that I am tuned in enough with my body to know if I need help and will seek medical assistance if I think it's needed. But there is a part of me deep within that these kind of things do get to. That wonders if I'm just crazy since everyone else around thinks it's so dangerous. I cannot express this thought to anyone else besides those of you on this particular thread. If I did, it would be used to try to get me to the hospital where babies are "supposed" to be born. Do you all have a part deep within that is somehow bothered by all the negative comments? By the "I've seen too many times" types of comments by the "professionals"? If so, how do you deal with that part? You can tell by the two persons described above that I deal with it through the rational part of my mind. If you don't have any part of you that it doesn't get to at all, how do you put away all the negative feedback western society sends out without it getting to you in any way?

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#148 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 09:26 AM

The best way to deal with negative medical advice is to stay away from the so-called "professionals." If you are having a normal, healthy pregnancy and don't have some sort of unusual pre-existing health problem that needs attention, then STAY AWAY from them! That includes midwives. If you are eating well, getting a little exercise, lots of sleep, and baby is growing and kicking, why visit the medical caregivers? (More like "scare-givers!")

I saw my OB and his midwives a few times early in my pregnancy, and had one ultrasound at 24 weeks. After that, I decided I'd had enough. And I haven't been back to see them. Every time I went there, it caused me sooo much emotional distress. I always ended up in some sort of debate or argument with them, and having to lie about having a homebirth stressed me out. I feel so much better now that I don't go there anymore! You just have to trust your body and have faith that it will be able to do exactly what God designed it to do. And if something were to go seriously wrong, you can always go to the hospital - they can't turn you away!
#149 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 10:09 AM

I just came on to say that we told my husband's parents about our decision and it was so calm. No drama at all. Of course they don't approve, but they're so misinformed and so completely resistant to any information that might make them feel better, that the only thing we can do is shrug and say oh, well. I did a LOT of meditation about this weekend and it went so well. I really believe that it helped...I have never seen my mil so calm. She didn't even cry, and she cries at the drop of a hat, whether something is sad or not.

Madrone, I know exactly what you're saying in your post, sometimes I feel the same way. I'm lucky in that I don't know any professionals to tell me horror stories, and most of the people I know are at least open, if not outright supportive. But as I was reading your post, I was thinking, do any of the people who think birth is so dangerous have any real information to back them up? I've been seeing this quote around the boards: "The plural of anecdote is not data" (or something to that effect). I mean, first of all, professionals in a hospital only see homebirths that transfer, and simply by being in a hospital, they are exposed to much more trauma in general, and that skews their outlook. But the other thing is, the people I talk to who are negative are truly going off emotion and misinformation (you know, one too many sitcom moms screaming away on her back and we're supposed to laugh).

My father in law gets the prize for funniest comment of the night...he was telling us that we were taking total responsibility for any negative outcome in this birth and said something about the risk of death being 3 to 4 times as great at home. I mean, he just plain made that up! If I had any close friends who were that misinformed, I might challenge them to find information suppoting how dangerous they think things are, but with my fil it's just not worth it.

I'm getting wordy, but my point is that for a normal, low-risk pregnancy, the evidence (including most of the studies done by the medical industry itself) supports homebirth, and people who think otherwise are just plain wrong. That is not even getting into the spiritual and emotional aspects of birth, or the idea that we can control our outcomes by being so in tune with our bodies (things that people like my in-laws can't begin to comprehend).

So I guess my answer to that question is that I remind myself of all the things I just wrote, and meditate on how wonderful my birth is going to be, and then I feel much better. I also do not have anyone immediately around me who is negative about birth, and if I did, I think I would distance myself for this time...this is just too important to be taking on other people's negative energy.
#150 of 286 Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancerMom
"The plural of anecdote is not data"
That's great!

Quote:
I mean, first of all, professionals in a hospital only see homebirths that transfer, and simply by being in a hospital, they are exposed to much more trauma in general, and that skews their outlook.
And hospital interventions skew birth!

Quote:
My father in law gets the prize for funniest comment of the night...he was telling us that we were taking total responsibility for any negative outcome in this birth and said something about the risk of death being 3 to 4 times as great at home. I mean, he just plain made that up!
That is funny... but really not any funnier than that "5-10% of birthing women need assistance" that you see thrown around everywhere (no offense Madrone .) I'm not challenging the stats, I'm challenging the almost universal assumption that they represent situations in which nature fails of it own accord and the human mind and hands must be brought in to fix it. When in fact we have no evidence of this. What we do have is plenty of evidence -- millions and millions of cases -- that the natural process is routinely thwarted in some way by those human minds and hands, necessitating that we fix our mistakes. But the human mind is almost always either too ignorant or too conceited to see the part it plays in this.

What we know scientifically of the human body supports the idea that for a healthy woman (physically and emotionally well-nourished) with no congenital deformities of the pelvic region and no mental hindrances, whose labor process is fully undisturbed, there is very little opportunity for true natural error to take place. What the actual numbers would be, I can't possibly know. No one has ever done such a study, and very few women are giving birth under those conditions. What is remarkable to me that with SO many women giving birth under incredibly unideal conditions, that the number needing assistance is as low as 5-10%. That, to me, is a testament to the power and strength and resilience of the human body.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page