uc support thread #6, July - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heather, that was great!!

Carrieanders, I really enjoyed reading your birth story as well!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#182 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 05:23 AM

i had so many rushes earlier that despite my best efforts, i got my hopes up that it was IT. for hours, they were about 5 minutes apart, then 2-3 minutes apart, and getting intense......

and it wasn't. again. they suddenly spaced out and then stopped. again.

i'm starting to feel so discouraged and i feel like i'm losing faith in my body's ability to go into labor.

i know this is just silly: i'm "only" 40 weeks 5 days now. but i can't help ticking off the days on the calender and thinking, WHEN?!

i keep re-reading Hathor's birth story for inspiration (43 weeks!! ) and thinking... well maybe after so many weeks of all of these hugs + rushes + sex + nipple stimulation + walking... maybe the baby will just come easily...

but i feel like there's this tremendous pressure on me from Everyone Else to give birth right now, LAST WEEK.

i know she'll come when she's ready...

but i can't help feeling a little like, well... for some, babies don't just come, at least that's what i've been told. i've heard so many women tell me lately, "well *i* couldn't just go into labor ~ i got to 42 weeks and *had* to be induced because the baby absolutely wasn't coming "...

and of course the freebirther in me is screaming, "you should have gone longer than that then!"

:: sigh ::

#183 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 09:36 AM

Well, I guess you can look at this as an opportunity to exercise the virtue of patience...
#184 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

klothos- hang in there! That baby will come. I am right behind you in days, will be 40 weeks tomorrow, and feeling just like you! I went into labor naturally with both of my girls before and just at 40 weeks so I am having a hard time thinking that I may go past that point, but as I near the mark I am thinking, I really could be pregnant for another week or two! I am so ready for this baby to come though. Feeling so restless, I just need to concentrate on something else!

Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#185 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
i had so many rushes earlier that despite my best efforts, i got my hopes up that it was IT. for hours, they were about 5 minutes apart, then 2-3 minutes apart, and getting intense......

Klothos,
I had so many of those false starts that I was really getting nervous, but now I think that I was just getting alot of the labor out of the way early. My actual labor was so quick and effortless, that I'm grateful now, keep your chin up!
thanks for the compliments on the birth story...
Heather

#186 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 12:54 PM

I'm a lurker here, and just wanted to thank all of you wonderful mammas for sharing your stories! You are such an inspiration to me! And I love all the photos posted. Beautiful, healthy women and babies!

Monica

edd 11/8 and mamma to : Truman and : Febe

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#187 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 02:50 PM

klothos
I always have a lot of false starts the week before I give birth. Those contractions are doing something! It should make the birth easier and quicker than if you didn't have them!
Go for some long walks and enjoy these last days of pregnancy!

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#188 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 07:51 PM

Hathor - great birth story and cartoons, thank you so much for sharing with us! It was really inspiring. Troy also loved it and he is so happy for you all!

klothos - I know how you are feeling!!!! I am 42 weeks today and in the same boat. So much prelabor/false labor the past 2 weeks and still no baby. I am ecouraged by what everyone is saying here about all the prepwork making for an easier birth when the time comes. I have been able to just go with it for the past week after I realized that baby was taking her time. Although I feel peaceful, it has been an intense time facing all sorts of issues and I am learning more every day how powerful it is to rely on my instincts around this situation and how although I am fully taking responsibility for my baby and my birth, I don't have control over it.

I have to say I have been feeling really different today and yesterday and I know the birth is soon. Everythng just seems in place and ready. I have been avoiding any induction but tonight I am considering receiving some accupuncture by a skilled healer to get the energy flowing for labor to start. Do any of you have experience or knowledge with this? From what I understand it is safe and only works when my baby/body is "ready" for birth, but I do want labor to start as gently as possible.
#189 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 09:10 PM

(child on lap)

I so loved your birth story Heather, I especially liked the part about hubby getting in the tub despite the poop being in there. :

klothos and Brandi, I so remember feeling that way when I was pregnant w/my first. I was put on bedrest from 33 weeks to 37 weeks for what was thought to be preterm stuff, but turned out to be an irritable uterus , and then my son came at 40w and a couple of days. BUT, everyone was doing everything in their power to keep the baby in, and then NOTHING happened for 3-4 more weeks. I was like, WTF? :LOL

I do have a question for you ladies and I'm hoping I can get a good amount of answers. I posted a question over in "I'm pregnant" about bleeding. To quickly summarize, me and DH were having sex, we were done and we were both covered in blood. I'm thinking some placenta is lying on the cervix or whathaveyou, and I have an u/s scheduled for....3 weeks from now I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not. Anyway, the big question is the Rhogam question. This is my 2nd child, first was A-, so I'm assuming this one could be the A+ baby. I also plan to have more children, so I don't want to jeopardize future kids either. I planned to not get any Rhogam (or really the mercury free alternative), as long as birth was gentle and peaceful, but now, w/blood loss, I'm wondering if that is the best plan.

Okay, that's the gist, if anyone needs more info, I'll be glad to provide it. I'm really looking forward to responses.

Thanks,
Amy
#190 of 286 Old 07-15-2004, 10:10 PM

well, we've found out that we're pregnant! so, due late spring/early summer, given the range of normal. we're definitely planning uc--neither of us can picture it differently. i'm so glad to join the list of uc-ers! up until now, i was reading enviously and waiting until it was time for us to ttc. and we got it on the 1st try. whew! we have a short window when the weather here is optimal for birthing, so our fingers were really crossed tightly!

i've requested changing my user name to 'sprinkle pocket', so if you see that name pop up, i've been successful. i just think that i know too many people irl that love mothering and we don't want anyone knowing we're uc-ing that we don't tell...my current user name may give it away to those who know us.

i'm a little torn when it comes to madrone's (is that who it was?) question about the negative stuff people offer about preg/birth. i'm definitely affected by people's comments on anything in life--my mind grabs onto the negative stuff, but i also have an ultimate faith in nature. as dr. randolph stone said,"only god and nature heal". so it's not that i start losing faith in my abilities, just distracted by all the crap...and it takes alot of energy for me to process through it all. i'm definitely going to do affirmations ALOT. kate had some a while back that i liked.

any one want to list their favorite affirmations? as many as you want to list is great!! i can't get too many!

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#191 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats!!!!!! I added you to the list, let me know when your name changes and I will change it in the list too

Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#192 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 02:47 AM

Hathor! I loved your birth story! Way to go mama!!! Loved the part about the poo in the water. :LOL I want a birth like yours!

klothos, luna13mama, & ChildoftheMoon Hang in there! Wishing you speedy, wonderful births! That baby will come out! Don't worry!

pinosaltos/sprinkle pocket Congratulations on your pregnancy!

AmyD, Are you sure it was placenta bleeding? Could it have just been some broken capillaries on your cervix? When I was pregnant with my daughter I was really sick one time with a stomach bug and vomiting very heavily for a several hours. I was about 4 months pregnant at the time. I had blood coming out the next day from it...I thought it was a miscarriage, but midwife reassured me it was just broken capillaries---and it was cause a few months later I had my baby girl! We also had intercourse either before or after this and my dh's penis hit my cervix and I had some brownish spotting.

Could it have been dh hitting your cervix by chance with his penis? Also, I don't have any experience with the rhogham shot, but my best friend just recently had twins and got the shot AFTER they were born...those were her 2nd and 3rd children--but she didn't have any "unexplained" bleeding that I know of.

Pam_and_Abigail you definitely need to get yourself a copy of Unassisted Childbirth by Laura Shanley. There is another book that I read that was ok, but the father's stories in it were really great---the book is by Lynn Griesemer--Unassisted Homebirth, An Act of Love.
Also here is a list of resources for UC: http://lauriemorgan.com/birth.html Read away and congrats on your pregnancy! I was nervous at first but when I read Laura's book everthing fell into place.
#193 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 10:55 AM

How nice to wake up this morning and read Jennifer's recommendation of my book! Thanks, Jennifer! Heather and Carrie - great birth stories!! Good luck to all the moms on the verge of labor!
Laura (who lurks here often just doesn't have much time to post)
#194 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 01:06 PM

Wonderful birthstory Heather!! I was thrilled to share your journey through your words. Thank you....I am now getting very excited.

Hang on mommas who are so near. I feel antsy myself, and I'm not even close to my due date. LOL But I just keep knitting....keeping hugging my boys.....keep making love to my man.
#195 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 PM

Laura - You lurk here! I don't have your book, but thank you for your website. Your writings and your site are a huge part of the reasons my husband has turned around on UC. Thank you for helping my child have a peaceful entry into this world!

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#196 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 03:29 PM

Laura ~ it's nice to see you're still sticking around. your site has been such an inspiration. i found it after i had my 1st and had considered an unassisted birth ever since.

it is absolutely an invaluable resource.
#197 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 03:41 PM

Ok so here I am 16 days past EDD and feeling great! Problem is
ther are medling people in my life who are concerned about the
baby being "overdue". One is my step dad who has fear of
homebirth but he's really no threat to our situation. The other is
my nosy neighbor who is starting to freak me out - she just came
over and gave Troy a card for her doctor who deals with "high
risk" pregnancy because she is very concerned that I am over 42
weeks and was telling him that we need to go to a doctor for a
non stress test because the placenta is now "going bad". OK so
I hear this and go out and assure her that everything is well and
that we are not at all conerned about the extra time our baby is
spending in utero. She actually seemed mad that we were not
receptive about going to a hospital right now and went on telling
me how I am in a dangerous situation.

Now, I would try to not let this get under my skin but this is the
kind of woman who would call some social services person if
she seriously thought I was putting my baby at risk. I want
something to tell her that will reassure her. I guess I could
always lie and say I was checked by a doctor but that's not
natural for me.

So my question is, can anyone give me any links or info about
the placenta after 42 weeks and any info about the whole idea of
getting a non stress test? Is it really neccessary? I feel not. I am going by intuition here and it has been powerful. I feel well and safe but I get scared
when other people jump in and interfere with the natural process
I am enjoying and I don't know what to say to people who need a
scientific medical explanation for what I am doing. Any ideas?

juliette
#198 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 03:50 PM

i have a nosy neighbor too! she used to live in the building across from us but moved so now she's right downstairs and from her bedroom window can sit and watch our apartment.

sorry ~ no advice or links (at the moment at least), just sympathizing.
#199 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 04:18 PM

Maybe she can tell you how exactly the placenta can "go bad". Because that is about as ridiculous sounding as a baby losing all of their blood through the cord or having too much blood from it. What is possible with the placenta right now? It could start to seperate. You woulld know because you would start bleeding. It could be lying to low. But it's not like it is going to suddenly start falling now because you are past 40 weeks.

It does seem to be standard hospital care to do a NST after 40 weeks, although I don't understand why. And not that I would really want it. If you really want to try to get the neighbour off your back, do you have a way to listen to the baby's heartbeat? You could just listen to it yourself for half an hour or so and pay attention to the baby's movements to see that he does go through waking and sleeping patterns. Then you could tell her that you've done a NST and the baby is fine. You wouldn't be lying then and I'm pretty certain that that is all the test is.

Really need Pam to answer this one though. I'm just feeling bad for you because of how much I hate hearing all the negative stuff on the dangers of childbirth. When it's a completely natural thing.

#200 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Because that is about as ridiculous sounding as a baby losing all of their blood through the cord
i had to laugh at this ~ when i consulted my baby's to-be-pediatrician to see what he was like about newborn stuff i mentioned we were planning a lotus birth... to which he immediately tried very hard to scare me out of, rambling on about how the baby NEEDS their cord clamped IMMEDIATELY after birth because if they don't have it done, all of the blood will flow back into the placenta. : i told him, "thank you for your concern, but our choice is made and i'm sure everything will be fine."
#201 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 04:35 PM

That's funny that your California doctor said that. I had thought that most US doctors were agreed on the fact that if the cord wasn't clamped immediately after birth the baby would get too much blood and become jaundiced. I had decided that it was just French babies who were somehow genetically different from US babies that would bleed to death from not having the cord clamped. The scare-tactics seem so ridiculous once you think about them rationally that I really don't understand why everyone accepts it. Maybe because they could never consider questioning it in the first place.

#202 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The scare-tactics seem so ridiculous once you think about them rationally that I really don't understand why everyone accepts it. Maybe because they could never consider questioning it in the first place.
#203 of 286 Old 07-16-2004, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
... the baby NEEDS their cord clamped IMMEDIATELY after birth because if they don't have it done, all of the blood will flow back into the placenta. :
Oh. My. Heavens. That is one of the DUMBEST dang things I've ever heard. Where did that IDjit go to medical school?

My Dad is a family physician. He gave up obstetrics years ago because of malpractice insurance nonsense. Anyway, when I was preggo with #1 I was thinking about donating the cord blood and Dad said, in essence, that blood belongs in your baby - don't donate it, make sure the doctor waits to clamp the cord. And that's what we did instead. Not all doctors are raging fools, but docs like my Dad are a dying breed.
#204 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Anyway, when I was preggo with #1 I was thinking about donating the cord blood and Dad said, in essence, that blood belongs in your baby - don't donate it, make sure the doctor waits to clamp the cord.
that's the way i feel! i wish more doctors would realize this ~ if the baby weren't meant to have the blood, they *wouldn't get the blood*.

*~*

so... this baby will come right? RIGHT??

i never thought i'd be pregnant this long. (belly)

i'm 41 weeks today and feeling every inch of it.

WHEN is this baby going to come?? (i know, i know, "she'll come when she's ready...")

i've stimulated my nipples so much the past few days they've become faucets. i laid on the bed last night for almost an hour straight trying to accomplish something by playing with them, and the only thing i accomplished was soaking my entire chest w/ colustrum. i never knew breasts could even make that much colustrum.

i went for a long walk last night and had 1 weak hug... and that was it.

i know this may sound really dumb, but... i don't understand why i'm still pregnant!

ok ~ shutting up now and resolving to try to enjoy the rest of this pregnancy, however long it lasts...
#205 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

klothos-great belly pic! You look ready, SOON mama!

I went for a long walk too last night hoping to get things started, but have been doing this everynight with no luck. I did have one expansion last night that woke me up, but all it resulted in was me having to pee, I slept great last night. I have officially never been this pregnant before. I am 40w1d, I am now giving up on guessing when this babe will come. I surrender baby, come at will! Now to find some things to keep me busy!

Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#206 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 02:13 PM

Oh mamas, hang in there. Your little angels will be here soon enough. Enjoy this time before you have the baby. Your other kids will not get as much attention after the new one is born. Give it to them while you can. I bet at least one of you will go into labour today :
#207 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 03:43 PM

do we take muffins out of the oven when they're done cooking, or when the timer goes off?

ideally, they are done when the timer goes off. but sometimes, the timer goes off and they are still squishy inside.

in that case, do we remove them from the oven simply because the timer has sounded, or do we leave them in there to finish cooking?

any good baker knows you do the latter.

or to put it another way: the little sprite doesn't have a calendar in there.

(x-posted in my LJ)

btw, thanks for the good vibes everyone.

i love this forum.
#208 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 06:48 PM

birth vibes!!!!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#209 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone
That's funny that your California doctor said that. I had thought that most US doctors were agreed on the fact that if the cord wasn't clamped immediately after birth the baby would get too much blood and become jaundiced. .

Well, a friend of mine once interviewed an OB and when the subject of deleyed cord clamping came up he said something like, "Ohhhh, we don't do that because the blood will all flow into the baby and it will blow up and die "

Where do they get this stuff? Are they really misinformed or just really crappy liars?????????

Emily (planning a uc as soon as fertility returns!)

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#210 of 286 Old 07-17-2004, 11:57 PM

Quote:
, a friend of mine once interviewed an OB and when the subject of deleyed cord clamping came up he said something like, "Ohhhh, we don't do that because the blood will all flow into the baby and it will blow up and die "
:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page