Homebirthin' Mama's Thread July 3rd!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 149 Old 07-03-2004, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there ladies. Just thought that I would pop in to say........

Still no baby.

WOO HOO!!

She doesn't want to come out!

Little poopsnot!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#2 of 149 Old 07-03-2004, 02:10 AM

sarah: well, you know us cancer moonchildren... can't tell us how to feel (ready to be born or any other feelings...) :LOL sending you and your baby lots of peaceful birthing vibes...

finally finished the first draft of my birth story. I kept getting stuck at the part where the sun came up for the second time during my laboring, so i just put it away until i felt inspired. just have to edit and add a few more things and then it will be ready for readin'...

babe fell asleep in sling while i'm sitting here bouncing on my exercise ball/desk chair... gonna go spend quality time with my honey...

warmly,
claudia
#3 of 149 Old 07-03-2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
sarah: well, you know us cancer moonchildren... can't tell us how to feel (ready to be born or any other feelings...) :LOL
claudia
Yep, so true!

I am due the 16th (my birthday ) but am hoping and feeling that this wee one will come sooner. Dh is starting his new job on the 19th, and has time off leading up to that, so it would be so nice to have baby a little early so he can be home with us. BUT, baby will come when ready, I am not going to mess with that! I have everything ready and waiting, except for the dipes-still need to wash those. Just enjoying the last days with my girls and trying to keep busy and rested (if that is possible) as I am so anxious to meet this baby!

Love and Light to you all!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#4 of 149 Old 07-03-2004, 10:38 PM

hi! sorry no babe yet sarah, hugs! sooon! there really isnt much you can say to a mam in your time, i know- i was just there. and look at me now! in babyheaven. wishing you some babyheaven asap.

kassi is 2 weeks old yesterday. she is lovely and growing and healthy just like we want. tristan is learning all about her and is starting to open up to her. both are nursing like crazy- tristan has pretty much stopped eating solid foods for the time being and is a nursling again. i dont mind, i love to nurse him.

i am starting to 'miss' my birth, asking karl about it a lot. the whirling magical newborness makes it hard to hold onto the memory of that event. it is somehow as if it went by so fast, and instead of paying any tribute to it, or marvelling in it, we are caught up in kassi, and i know that is the good and right thing, but i also feel such a longing to honor the birth and talk about it and remember it.

all is well here.

warm wishes to all the other mamas!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#5 of 149 Old 07-03-2004, 11:17 PM

Tabitha,

I've been having similar thoughts about my birth. How can we bottle that???

Sarah,

Soon...soon! I'm thinking about you a lot today...

Soren is doing well. He's amazing actually.

3 kids though...he is feeling somewhat like an extra appendage that I have to take extra good care of. Seems I don't have time to relish his baby goodness nearly as much as I would like to. Hmmm. Maybe I need to reprioritize and delegate....

Abby
#6 of 149 Old 07-03-2004, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Still no baby...but I am enjoying the time with my two girls as much as possible. I had a long talk with my midwife, who made me feel better!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#7 of 149 Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM

Still hanging in there Sarah? Or do you have a new baby in your arms?
#8 of 149 Old 07-06-2004, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I am now 41w2d pregnant. Still no baby. I have a midwifes appointment at 11:00am today...so...I will keep everyone updated!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#9 of 149 Old 07-06-2004, 11:01 AM

(and because Noah loves them...) :

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#10 of 149 Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM

just checking in - Sarah - thinking of you - knowing it will be me in your situation soon. It's sooooo hard to go long and knowing that I will be "late" doesn't help although I should by now. I have my edd set as 8/10 and the cnm has it for 7/31.
#11 of 149 Old 07-06-2004, 09:39 PM

still
no
baby.

but i'm so excited.

a few more days and i think i can have the home pretty much all cleaned up + ready... :
#12 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there ladies. I am now 10 days over, but my midwife assures me that most babies are born within the 10 day mark....OK! I am all for that. I saw her yesterday and it went well. Baby is head down, a little under the pelvic bone and completely OP. She also thinks that she is about 8 pounds. I can't wait to have a big baby! Not a big posterior baby, but you know, you take what you can get. I have to wonder if that is why she is still hanging out in there. She does go to LOA (on the left side facing the right way) sometimes, but not lately. I am no longer sleeping. My sciatic nerve pinches all of the time and makes my leg and foot numb and i have horrible butt pain. My hips hurt so bad that I just can't sleep. So I am worried about losing sleep every night adding up. Three nights ago I got to sleep at 3:30, two nights ago 4:00 and last night, on and off all night. I am exhausted. But when I lay down, bammo! the pain....Any whoosers.

The plan: nothing until Friday...then we call the MD (Jeanne's backup) at the hospital and make arrangements for an ultrasound on the following Monday..I would be 42w1d as well as a non-stress test. Depending on how my placenta looks and how she looks, we will do nothing except monitor her that week. If it doesn't look good, we will talk more about medical induction. I am not sure if that would be stripping membranes, or prostagladin gels or pitocin. I am trying not to go too far ahead.

But from this Friday to Monday, we would be doing more natural (if anything can be called that) induction methods. Probably castor oil (drink or enema) and/or blue and black cohosh. Ether one sounds icky and I know that I will probably be sick from it, but hey, I would be at home and not at the hospital. I am nursing my two year old all of the time. Just recently it started to cause contractions, which is good. I have been having them off and on for a month, but stronger in the last couple of days/week. Plus, I have finally given into having sex. Yeah, that is soooooo much fun when you weigh 207 pounds and are 41 1/2 weeks pregnant. WOO HOO!! So, that is all for now. I will let you all know soon enough!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#13 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 11:14 AM

sarah-hugs

i only have a moment so i have to be brief

please also consider calling an accupuncturist/herbalist and your chiro for ideas on getting labor going.

castor oil and cohosh really ought to be your last non medical options. create a list. from least invasive to most invasive, and try it all until you get your babe out!

anyway warm labor wishes- sounds like it is happening anyway- i also nursed thru pg and soon before babe came nursing started causing ctx. i had a slow start, too. though i wanst overdue. best laboring to you!

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#14 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes! My midwife said that we would explore the option of castor oil and cohosh. She is very very much into letting the baby decide. Completely! I am visiting the chiroprator in about 40 minutes and then off to the Mall of America to do some walking. I just talked with my doula, who mentioned the accupunture, but I don't have any money, and so I need to see if anything would be covered until insurance. I won't do anything that I think is invasive until I have no choice. But if it comes down to it, I will choose castor oil over pitocin. This is kind of the way that I am going about it...

accupressure every day on my ankles
nursing
visualization and communication with her
sitting in my birth space
acceptance
chiroprator
sex and orgasm

then:

talking about herbs or castor oil
talking about accupuncture, which I am open to

anything having to do with a hospital

My midwife will work with me until 43 weeks, as long as I am healthy and the baby is healthy. Plus, I have had TWO babies before!! Come on body!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#15 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 02:11 PM

Sending happy homebirth thoughts your way, Sarah! Lila is here with me - in the sling!! She came two weeks early - born at home on July 3. I still can't believe she's here.
#16 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM

Congratulations on your new babe ebethmom! :
#17 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 05:53 PM

Sarah ~ how about nipple stimulation? i don't think that was mentioned...

one of my sisters laid down and played w/ her nipples for 4 hours straight, and went into labor. it might be worth a try (if you can handle all that nipple tweaking).

"officially" i'm due this saturday... and i'm trying not to focus too much on the due date... but i'm getting antsy! i love being pregnant but i feel like she "should" be born already. (( this is the LONGEST i've EVER been pregnant!! ))

there's a concert tonight at the park, and i'm looking forward to going to it... and kind of hoping the walk there + the dancing will kind of gear up my body for labor + birth.
#18 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 06:08 PM

My midwives have used Verbena tincture (of course, I don't know specifics) to get a labour going. And Caullophylum (a homeopathic).

I found that when I was IN labour using (gripping) reflexology combs (or any hair comb would work). I held them in my hands with the pokey comb part pressed into the spots just where my fingers meet the palm of my hand. That really made contractions stronger once I started labour, but my doula (also a reflexologist) insists that it can induce labour as well.

I'm thinking of you Sarah! Here's to a new baby soon

Abby
#19 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 06:27 PM

There is a German cocktail that has peach, champagne a little castor oil and some other stuff. MY mw used it and I know it didn't work 1 time out of 8. My babies go 11 days past the u/s date which is later than my LMP date. That's why I do my u/s now - it buys me more time at the end. Not that I "WANT" it!!

Congratulations ebethmom! Lots of little girls out there!! Must mean I will have a boy - I seem to always be the opposite of what's going around!
#20 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 10:35 PM

oh my heavens. all you "overdue" women have my deep sympathy. i'm only 31.5 weeks into this myself and i am already VERY impatient for 37 weeks to come around and to have this kid already. today while the kids were in day camp i took a 2.5 hour nap and still collapsed on the couch when we got home from swimming lessons. hubby had to cobble together dinner when he got home at 7pm.

i had baby #1 at 39wks 5days and baby #2 at 38wks 7days, and i want this one to come at 37.5 weeks. my midwife will be out of town my whole 38th week! so i "need" to have this baby before she goes on vacation or i might have to call her backup midwife, a fine woman who was there when my daughter was born, but not "my midwife", if you know what i mean. if i am still preggo when my midwife goes out of state, i plan to spend that whole week with my legs crossed!

i have other reasons for wanting squid3 to hurry his/her little self up, too. the kindergarten cutoff is august 31 - born on or before that and i can try to get the kid into kindy when s/he is 5. otherwise, kid has to wait till s/he's 6 years old to start kindergarten! that's indiana for you.

of course, late pregnancy is miserable and i just don't want to deal with it. call me a wuss and a half, i don't care!

and then there is my really silly reason. i was born on a 15th, my oldest on a 16th, my daughter on a 19th and my hubby on a 20th. clearly, we need this kid to be born on a 17th or 18th.

anyway, all that blathering is to say that, as someone who has never actually hit my "due date" and still been pregnant, those who linger pregnant into their 40th, 41st and 42nd week have my everlasting sympathy and kudos.

plus, i ask you to be forewarned - if i don't have this baby as early on as i hope, plan and desperately desire to, i am going to turn into a raving, whining, BITCH!
#21 of 149 Old 07-07-2004, 11:41 PM

Quote:
late pregnancy is miserable and i just don't want to deal with it.
s

i'm blessed w/ a wonderful late pregnancy.

my first 2 trimesters were horrible, horrible, terrible, awful......

once i hit 6 1/2 - 7 months i started feeling great. i'm still feeling pretty good.
#22 of 149 Old 07-08-2004, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I went to the chiropractor yesterday and was pain free in the hip for about two hours before it came back. I watched the Butterfly Effect last night and actually got a very good nights sleep. I wish that when i woke up that I was in a better mood. I am starting to truly think that I can't do it. I feel like such a big fat failure who can't even get her baby out. I really want to talk to my midwife and start something right now, but I know that she will say no, and I know that she is right. I am in a very self pitying place today. I have a two year old and a three year old and I can't even play with them. It has been so crappy out, although today it is nice. I can load them up and take them to the playground. I was reading Wise Woman Herbal about induction, and all of the methods won't work if your cervix isn't ripe. Well, from what my husband can guess, it is...but who knows. Blah! Cheer-up Sarah.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#23 of 149 Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 AM

Sarah! You can do it and you will do it! Your sweet baby girl is just waiting until she is perfectly ready to join you. Lots of to you though because I know how tough it is!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#24 of 149 Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 PM

Hey Sarah - thinking of you. On the bright side the joy is just going to be intensified when labour really kicks off. Plus, if you are like me, b/c I go late I am in denial for so long when I finally admit I am in labour I am in the swing of things and the whole process seems really short!

Great way to handle it by spending time with your family. I just turn off the phone and focus on us.
#25 of 149 Old 07-09-2004, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

I just had an amazing spur of the moment baby moon thrown for me. About ten women came over and circled me with joy and happiness and lots of laughter and some tears. It was amazing. I feel completely renewed. I also talked with my midwife and she said I am healthy and glowing and that she will stay with me until 43 weeks at home. We do have an ultrasound scheduled on Monday to check the babe out, but that is OK. Maybe I will have her this weekend!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#26 of 149 Old 07-09-2004, 01:36 AM

Doulasarah-I am glad that you had such a great babymoon! What wonderful friends you have! I hope that you have your baby this weekend, too.

I am 36 weeks now. I had ds at 37 weeks, but mw thinks that my water broke mainly b/c he was footling breech, so doesn't think I will go early this time. I was very mentally prepared this whole pg for an early baby, so now the baby will probably come late!

Baby hasn't dropped yet, but lots of bh. I am getting excited and hoping everything goes smoothly!
#27 of 149 Old 07-09-2004, 09:59 AM

Sarah - I am really happy for you. With DS when they scheduled the induction it motivated him to join me. I went into labour the day before it was planned.
#28 of 149 Old 07-09-2004, 10:37 PM

i hope to do the "wet run" of my tub sometime this weekend... but first gotta get to the hardware store and grab a couple more hoses.

midwife did the home inspection visit on wednesday... we passed! i asked her if anyone had flunked, and she said only once... a family with 10 puppies that had been allowed to poop all over the house! yeeech.

gotta make a couple more ice packs (aka "crotchsicles!") and find some of those flannel-backed tableclothes for the floor next to the tub... then i think i'm ready... for the birth, that is... i don't think i'm anywhere NEAR ready for the baby! this poor kid has no clothing yet, just a nice pile of diapers. time to cruise the thrifts...

indiana ima, i have a little suspicion on my dates, too... ds1 was born on the 10th, dd was born on the 15th, ds2 was born on the 20th... wouldn't it make sense that this one would be born on the 25th? that would just be two days before the "due" date... and it makes them easy to remember!

37w4d... sometime in the next four weeks, i'm gonna meet this kid! woo hoo!

katje
#29 of 149 Old 07-10-2004, 04:04 PM

Katje - I kind of hope the date thing is off but I think about it all the time myself. DS was the 19th and DD was the 18th. So that means 17th or 20th - I would prefer this month (of course that entail being early which is a highly unlikely option) and don't want to go that far into next!
#30 of 149 Old 07-10-2004, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Still no baby!! But I am doing wonderful, a little swollen so I am guzzling the water, and she is great too! She has the hiccups right now, and I just ate a yummy pastry so she is going nuts! I will keep on keeping on....

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page