Rachel

Congrats Klothos!!
#62 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations klothos!!
Welcome to the world Elyssa Marigold!!:

edited to add: She's beautiful!! I can't believe you posted a pic already!!

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#63 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 PM

congrats! That was quick, and posting so soon after? I'll take that as a sign that it was easy, too!

Can't wait for details!
#64 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Congratulations Klothos! She is beautiful! I cannot wait to hear your birth story!

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#65 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 05:40 PM

this is klothos' SO, I actually posted for her

They are both doing well.

k. wanted me to let everyone know that Elyssa is a voracious nurser and she'll have a birth story up and more pictures soon.
#66 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 05:40 PM

I was just going to look you up and see how things were. Was going to ask if you'd like to head to Turner park for a bit! Guess not!!!

Congratulations, and WELCOME Elyssa!!!

Janet
#67 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Gee whiz, that was quick! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to hear more!
#68 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! : :girlpin

Welcome Elyssa Marigold!!!!!

She is beautiful, I can't wait to hear your birthing story!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#69 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
Announcing the birth of Elyssa Marigold on Friday, July 23, 2004 at 11:20am
Yay!! congratulations klothos!!! How quick! wishing you a blissful day in peace with your new little girl!

I thought for sure that last night was IT for me and that the 23rd would be our baby's birthday but the contractions faded out by morning. Still, I feel that I am right behind you in birthing...reading of your news gave me a spark of hope!
#70 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 07:35 PM

Welcome to the Earth sweet Elyssa!! And congrats to you momma!! Now enjoy your babymoon!
#71 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 08:10 PM

: Congratulations Klothos. So I really wont be pg forever? There is hope yet for all of us 40+ weekers!! Have a beautiful baby moon!
#72 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 08:20 PM

oh Klothos, I was thinking about you all day!! I knew today was it

Much congratulations to you Welcome Elyssa!!
#73 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that hair! those lips! ahhh! I'm swooning!
#74 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 09:04 PM

just to let everyone know she weighs in at around 10 pounds and we decided to not go with the lorus birth.

Also, thanks for all the congrats
#75 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 09:40 PM

: Congratulations!!!!!!!
#76 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 10:13 PM

10 pounds! Wow, I can't wait to hear about it! Just look at that kisser. :LOL What a doll. Congratulations!!!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#77 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 10:21 PM

Oh, girlfriend! She is absolutely perfect!!

10 lbs looks fully cooked to me!

Nurse up. baby girl!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#78 of 185 Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 PM

Klothos,

9:30 am posting to say you're in labor, and a picture up by 1:00pm! Incredible! She is beautiful! :
#79 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 01:16 AM

Ok so now I am past 43 weeks and I have been consulting on the phone with a couple mdwives. The really UC supportive one hasn't returned my latest call, but I did speak with her last weekend and she was really positive. The other one I just talked to this evening is concerned and says I should induce with castor oil to get the baby out asap. She says that I am walking a fine line at this point and although things could be fine and the placenta working, that could change suddenly and I wouldn't know. Also she thinks that because I have not been receiving prenatal care for this last trimester, we really don't know how well the baby is, regardless of fetal movements or my intuition. How discouraging, a part of me wishes I hadn't spoken with her. I really didn't want to use castor oil, especially as I feel I am soooo close to naturally going into labor. What do you guys think of castor oil induction? And the whole idea of 43 weeks pregnant being dangerous territory? I think tonight I will go for a walk and try nipple stimulation and re evaluate things in the AM if labor doesn't happen before then.
#80 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 02:11 AM

you can find my birth story here ~ http://klothos.com/~bestorga/Birth.html

#81 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 02:22 AM

Oh, Klothos!! I am so happy for you. How wonderful!! She is just beautiful and I am still downloading your photos from the birth story but I LOVE the one of you on the toilet!! I look at it and it brings back so vividly right after birth time.....thank you for sharing. You look radiant and triumphant, and rightly so...like the goddess that you are!
and I love the name too.

WIshing you the happiest and most blessed babymoon!! :
#82 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 02:29 AM

Ooooh, she's beautiful---well worth the wait Those kissable lips and the curly locks....oh, I'm having some major baby envy.....What a great story! Thanks for taking the time to share her with us.

Happy Birthday, Elyssa!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#83 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 03:23 AM

LUNA,

Please go visit the 10-month-mama page:
http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html

I hope it will soothe your soul and ease your anxieties. Remember, the absolute best indicator of your baby's well-being is fetal movement, NOT an NST or BPP. And *BLECH* to the castor oil.

(Back to lurking........)
#84 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

We all know that some babies are supposed to have 10-month gestations, but they are so very rare nowadays, thanks to inductions, that 10-month pregnancies have come to be seen as inherently abnormal. That doesn't mean that your fear is not valid. You may be intuitively sensing that something is truly amiss, but I know that's hard to separate from the fear imposed by others. How would you feel right now if you didn't know the baby's age of gestation? If no one was telling you that it was dangerous to go past 42-weeks?

In any case, your worry in itself can't be helping you to go into labor (your body may be interpreting your worry as danger.) Would a visit with that uc-friendly midwife help?

The 10-month mama page that Crystal mentioned is great, and the whole site is worth the subscription if you can afford it!

Re: castor oil, I personally would not touch it with a ten-foot pole. I had a bad experience with it, although I know that most don't react as badly as I did. In general it's probably relatively safe. Even so, my feeling is that if the baby needs to come out now (is not thriving) then the baby is probably not healthy enough to withstand castor oil in its system without some complications. And if the baby does *not* need to come out right now, why take the risk of manipulating your body's process?
#85 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 12:40 PM

: YAAY Klothos!!

Congratulations, mama what a great job!! Loved the pictures you look so full of joy (and relief, in that first one

ahhh, brings back the memories so well

Enjoy your baby moon, and your "little" sweetie pie!
#86 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 01:03 PM

I generally believe babies come when they are ready. Any induction can cause complications you can't forsee, and may not want.

I'm sorry this MW gave voice to whatever niggling fears you may have already had.

You know your body best, and if you don't feel that inducing is worth the risks then leave it alone.

I, however have used a castor oil induction. No complications (other then cramps worse then contractions and worrying if you could die from pooping too much ) I know see that I was acting out of frustration and selfishness and my baby really could have used a few more days (weeks) on the inside. I was weak though, and didn't think I could bear it. But, whats done is done and I can't say that I wouldn't do the same again, were I ever in a similar situation . still had a beautiful, quick, clean UC and bouncing baby boy in under 1.5hrs.

It's up to you, mama. YOu know your body, baby best. JUst don't act out of fear or uncertainty...or because of what one MW said (based on her own fear and loss of control).

Any time you induce you are interfering with the process. Birth is normally a dance between homones and cell messages so complicated that humans still can't identify the whys and whens or even draw a map of anything other then the biggest functioning of the process (the baby comming out, which muscles are working etc). The risk is throwing something artifical into a mix we can't even fully understand.

IMO though, castor oil is a jumpstart and soon out of the system. there are worse ways to induce. it's awfully painful, and it doesn't always work. You'll have to weigh the risks and benefits yourself, but I hope I've added a little for you to think over.

HTH
#87 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 01:06 PM

Awesome story and photos Klothos!!

Enjoy your babymoon!! I forgot how wonderful it was to hold a newborn!! Enjoy every minute

My milk came in yesterday and I was SO engorged! Ouch! Thank goodness my nursing toddler helped me out this morning I knew I nursed him (sometimes painfully) through the pregnancy for some reason!

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#88 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 01:41 PM

Klothos, awwww great birth story! Your son is such a cutie! I loved the pictures, you are a beautiful mama and Elyssa is beautiful too. Your labor sounded similiar to mine w/my dd (unplanned UC) very intense it was (1 and 1/2 hr, labor).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#89 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Nice, Klothos! You just had to wait, and here she is. I bet she is bigger than my baby is at 2 weeks! I haven't weighed her yet. Good job! She is gorgeous.
#90 of 185 Old 07-24-2004, 03:27 PM

I am lurking as usual on the UC board.... I follow everyone here and love this board soooo much, so much great stuff!

Congrats Klothos! What an amazing birth, your pics are wonderful, and I too love the pic on the toilet.... brings back memories Your sweet babe looks so much like my little 10lb girl did at birth, minus the vernix!

luna13mama: Hugs to you momma. I never got to 43 weeks (42+2), but did induce w/castor oil both births.... due to fear from providers, homebirth time restrictions (43 wks= hospital), and other reasons, none of which were for health of baby. ITA with what someone else said about it being so f'ing rare for us to go past 42 weeks anymore (due to induction epidemic), we tend to start to really feel like something must be terribly wrong past 41wks. I wish I had read the 10month mamma site before birthing. I would have felt more special, instead of "freakish".

If we have anymore, I will be listening to ME and only me. I really think if I had waited for last babe to come on her own, she would not have had a nuchial hand, saving me some tearing and sutures.

I will always wonder how long I "really" carry my babies... Maybe I am a 10-month mamma too! DH was joking w/our last, due in October, born mid-November, that she would be here by Christmas, maybe And it started to feel like a possibility at that time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page