Birth tubs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a few questions about birth tubs--I'm pretty sure that my midwife has one but I won't be seeing her until next month and I figured you all would know these answers.

I've labored in the shower in the past but would really like to be IN the water this time. Trouble is, the kitchen and dining room are the only rooms we have that are even on the same floor as a water source. The kitchen isn't big enough for a tub and the front door leads directly into the dining room, so I'm trying to figure the logistics.

How long does it take to fill a birthing tub? Do you carry pails of water to it or is there some sort of hose that winds its way through your house from the nearest sink? How are they drained? These probably sound silly--I've seen water births, but never the set up/knock down of the tub.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 AM

You fill it up with a hose and adapter that connect to any sink faucet, and there are various pumps that you can use, again with the hose, to drain the tub.
#3 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 03:21 PM

Joan - funny I was just discussing this same thing with my midwife We will be using an inflatable fishy pool. She said that we just use a new garden hose and attach it to the sink to fill the tub - which would probably work even going up stairs. Then there is a tubing that she drains the pool with that she puts in the toilet - so that would maybe work going downstairs????

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#4 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is it possible to move a bit of furniture to make more room? I guess it would depend on what kind of tub your mw has and all that.

I have a page on my website about preparing for a waterbirth: http://www.midwifemama.com/waterbirth_hints.html
#5 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'll definately be bringing this up with my mw to see what kinds of connectors and all are used--we're in an old house so I'm not too sure that hoses which fit "all" faucets will actually fit OUR faucets.

But, it'll all work out.

#6 of 18 Old 07-22-2004, 12:34 PM

We used a Rubbermaid trough, which I chose because it's deeper than any of the fishy pools I found, and a little more compact. Set it up in the living room (1st time about five feet away from our front door ) and ran a hose from the kitchen faucet. (We have an old house too, so let me say from experience that you want to do a test run with the adaptor *before* the birth.) The trough has a spigot at the bottom so when it's time to drain you just attach a hose to that. Convenient also for draining out some cold water so more hot can be added. The big drawback about the trough is that it is hard plastic, first time this was a drag as I got kind of locked into a kneeling position and my knees were not enjoying that. Second time I was moving around a lot so it wasn't an issue.
#7 of 18 Old 07-26-2004, 10:10 PM

We have the hose adapter to use. Good luck!!
#8 of 18 Old 07-29-2004, 04:36 PM

The best thing to fill and drain with no effort and no mess is a waterbed fill & drain adapter. It attaches to any faucet in your house, and then to a hose. The flow can be reversed to then drain the pool into the sink. Here's a link:

drain & fill adapter

Here's a link to the fishy pool that you can get at any Toys R Us for 19.95:

fishy pool
#9 of 18 Old 07-29-2004, 06:00 PM

So it would be sufficient to get the waterbed drain thingy and a new garden hose to fill/drain the fishy pool? (Just want to make sure I am understanding the whole process properly!)
#10 of 18 Old 07-29-2004, 07:09 PM

You just want to get a hose that is drinking water safe (I think they say potable-water on them). The other type is treated with chemicals. You will need a submersible pump to attach the hose to in order to drain the pool (i'm guessing your midwife will have all these supplies though if she has the tub).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 18 Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 PM

We had to get the hose and any draining supplies ourself, since they're considered contaminable.

We got a potable hose at Walmart for about $15 and a faucet adapter at the hardware store for a couple dollars.

Since we're on one level only, we just used the hose to drain directly out the front door (it was 100 feet long so plenty enough length to reach!). It didn't get the last couple of gallons so those we bucketed out.

You can hook the hose directly to the water heater for easy filling if a sink won't work.
#12 of 18 Old 07-30-2004, 01:09 AM

Yes, all you need is a fishy pool, hose, and the fill & drain kit.

I had a waterbed in the eighties, and so I used one of these devices all the time to drain the bed when I had to move.

You don't need a submersible pump or anything complicated to drain the pool if you have the waterbed fill & drain kit. The adapter is shaped like a "T" (see the photo in the link below). It uses the water pressure from your sink to drain the pool.

One end of the "T" attaches to any faucet (bathroom, kitchen, washing machine, outdoors, etc.) Then the perpendicular arm of the "T" is where the hose is attached. Finally, the third side of the "T" (which is pointing down toward the bottom of the sink) has a rotating mechanism which you lock in place in the "closed" position to fill the pool. You then turn the water on, and it runs through the hose into the pool. When it is time to drain, you turn the bottom part of the "T" into the unlocked or "open" position, and turn the water on again. But now, the water is not flowing INTO the pool because the bottom part is open, and the pressure of the water creates the vaccuum which pulls the water out of the pool through the hose, and into the sink to drain. Make sense?

Click here on this link to see a better photo:

drain & fill kit

You will only use the small white piece which first attaches to your faucet, and the T-shaped blue piece. The other blue piece (which you don't need) is to attach the other end of the hose to the entrance of a waterbed mattress, and obviously you don't need the water conditioner, but they are usually sold this way.

The other nice thing about it is if the water cools off too much you can drain a little, then add more hot very quickly.
#13 of 18 Old 07-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Great! Thanks so much! Sounds perfect for me
#14 of 18 Old 07-30-2004, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just have to say THANK YOU for the waterbed kit solution. That is PERFECT! And, they have a ton on eBay for super cheap! Yay!
#15 of 18 Old 07-30-2004, 01:36 PM

I just wanted to say that we live in an old house (1924) and had no problem with the faucet adaptors. I just made sure I had dh try it out before I went into labor.

We hooked the hose up to our washing machine faucet, and then wound the long hose through the kitchen into the bedroom. To drain it, we drained it out the bedroom window into the drain in our backyard.

It took about 3 hot water cycles to fill it. I found it too hot, and we put some cool water in there. As baby was coming, my midwives thought it was too cool and we poured some boiling water in. It worked great.
#16 of 18 Old 07-30-2004, 11:48 PM

Well, all this talk about draining & filling the fishy pool made me think I should try a dry run (more like a "wet" run, as it were - haha) since I am getting down to the wire on this baby coming. So, here's what I learned...

I attached the T-shaped adapter to my kitchen faucet and then attached a garden hose. I put the pool in the living room, which is just off the kitchen so it's very close distance-wise. Filled it up - no problem, took about a half hour to 45 minutes. I took someone's advice on this thread and used cool water first for the majority of the fill before switching to hot. The hot warms the whole thing up pretty quickly. Then I jumped in! My dog was looking at me like I was crazy! The fishy pool is really comfortable due to the inflatable bottom, and it's wide sides are cool because you can lean on/over them with no worries of spilling water.

Then it was time to drain. I turned the water back on at the faucet and reversed the flow. It worked just fine, but it is much slower than filling. Draining takes 2-3 times as long as filling, but it does work. However, I have two things that worked to make it faster. The first thing was a different hose (clear plastic) that I bought at Petsmart that is intended for emptying large aquariums. It works in the exact same way as a garden hose with the waterbed drain/fill attachment on your faucet. I think it was faster because that hose comes in a shorter length, ( I got 25 ft.) so it was laying straight with no coiled sections like the garden hose had. The other thing that made it drain even faster was to lay the aquarium hose along the floor and run it right out the back door to drain outside - I just sucked on the end to get it flowing. It must run faster that way because the water never has to be pulled uphill by the vacuum pressure from the faucet.

Anyway, the two pieces that you would use in a waterbed kit (the T-shaped one, and the little white one) are also sold individually at Petsmart. The "T" was 7.99, and the white piece was 4.79, which might be a little cheaper than waterbed kits which seem to run 16.95-19.95. The aquarium hose was 19.99, and they had longer lengths also. They are all made by Python Products, Inc.

Hope my experiment helps somebody!
#17 of 18 Old 07-31-2004, 12:03 AM

I've got a great pool by Sevylor that I would highly recommend. It costs more than the fish pools (about $70) but it has a very cushioned bottom and the sides are strong enough to sit on. I was really pleased with it last time and will use it again this time.

Make sure you turn your water heater way about as your due date approaches, that way you'll get lots more hot water. Just be careful with your faucets, especially if you've already got kids!
#18 of 18 Old 07-31-2004, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to say "Thanks" again--what great info. And who knew there were so many options? (Never in a million years would I think to look in PetSmart for birth tub supplies. )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page