Fishy Pool Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-29-2004, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see my mw on Sat, but another post has got me wondering a few things, so I thought I'd ask...

When do you set up the pool?

About how long does it take to fill up?

How do you keep the water at a comfortable temp?

If I use the water bed filler-upper kit, I hook it up to a faucet to fill and into the toilet to drain?

Thanks for any help! I'm just too impatient sometimes
#2 of 7 Old 07-29-2004, 05:11 PM

I usually advise clients to take the pool out of the box when they get it and let it air out in a garage or over a deck, etc. This helps eliminate the plastic smell.

Somewhere a couple weeks before their due date, they should air it up. It's easiest when done with an air compressor, but many types of inflatable options are out there.

It takes under an hour or so to fill. I usually recommend filling it with lukewarm water first, about 1/4 of the way, then filling the rest with hot water to the mom's comfort level.

The water stays pretty warm - if it cools too much and you need to get rid of some water, then use whatever system you're using (the waterbed kit is nice) to empty and refill with more warm water.
#3 of 7 Old 07-29-2004, 05:17 PM

I love the fishy pool! I have used it twice now. Both times we blew it up a couple of weeks before my due date and just left it in the corner, as pamamidwife suggested. It does take a lot of water to fill it but it stays remarkably warm! Both times we ended up adding cold water to get it to a temperature the baby could be born into... We just used a tap adaptor to our bathroom sink and a hot water safe hose to fill it and then used a pump and a hose to empty it into the bathtub...then we cleaned the bathtub and the pool with antisceptic soap. Good luck!

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#4 of 7 Old 07-30-2004, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It seems so simple I can't wait to use it!
#5 of 7 Old 07-30-2004, 12:35 PM

A few thoughts from a recent user of the fishy pool...

Get one of those cheapo "emergency blankets" that are silver and reflective. We found one in a camping section of a big store for under 2 bucks. Used it to spread over the water when it was warm but I wasn't in the water for some reason. Kept it fairly toasty.

If you are using washer hookups, watch the water. We "drained" our water heater, and got some nasty sediment in the water. Trust me, you don't want that.

If you determine that there's a possibility of sediment, make sure others know of it (take pictures if needed to show them). This might just be our own unique issue of midwives not paying attention to what we were telling them, but ours didn't, filled it more (after emptying a perfectly new, pristine, and warm pool only in need of a few things of boiled water) from the washer tap, didn't watch it (both were warned about by DH), and got sediment in the pool. That took an extra TWO hours to empty, clean, and refill, all while I was in desperate need of the pool. Not good.

Like I said, that might be unique. But I think it's worth mentioning. If you've discovered something hinky about your water system, don't let others come in and override what you're saying.

Good luck with the fishy pool! It was the only thing that got me as far as I got.
#6 of 7 Old 07-30-2004, 04:47 PM

RE Sediment: you may consider draining the sediment from the bottom of your water heater in advance to avoid the problem. (Increases heater's efficiency too!)
#7 of 7 Old 07-30-2004, 10:57 PM

Well, all this talk about draining & filling the fishy pool made me think I should try a dry run (more like a "wet" run, as it were - haha) since I am getting down to the wire on this baby coming. So, here's what I learned...

I attached the T-shaped adapter to my kitchen faucet and then attached a garden hose. I put the pool in the living room, which is just off the kitchen so it's very close distance-wise. Filled it up - no problem, took about a half hour to 45 minutes. I took someone's advice on this thread and used cool water first for the majority of the fill before switching to hot. The hot warms the whole thing up pretty quickly. Then I jumped in! My dog was looking at me like I was crazy! The fishy pool is really comfortable due to the inflatable bottom, and it's wide sides are cool because you can lean on/over them with no worries of spilling water.

Then it was time to drain. I turned the water back on at the faucet and reversed the flow. It worked just fine, but it is much slower than filling. Draining takes 2-3 times as long as filling, but it does work. However, I have two things that worked to make it faster. The first thing was a different hose (clear plastic) that I bought at Petsmart that is intended for emptying large aquariums. It works in the exact same way as a garden hose with the waterbed drain/fill attachment on your faucet. I think it was faster because that hose comes in a shorter length, ( I got 25 ft.) so it was laying straight with no coiled sections like the garden hose had. The other thing that made it drain even faster was to lay the aquarium hose along the floor and run it right out the back door to drain outside - I just sucked on the end to get it flowing. It must run faster that way because the water never has to be pulled uphill by the vacuum pressure from the faucet.

Anyway, the two pieces that you would use in a waterbed kit (the T-shaped one, and the little white one) are also sold individually at Petsmart. The "T" was 7.99, and the white piece was 4.79, which might be a little cheaper than waterbed kits which seem to run 16.95-19.95. The aquarium hose was 19.99, and they had longer lengths also. They are all made by Python Products, Inc.

Hope my experiment helps somebody!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page