UC Thread #8, August '04 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 270 Old 08-20-2004, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations, Madrone! I hope that all the rest goes smoothly.
#182 of 270 Old 08-20-2004, 03:03 PM

madrone congrats!!! i am interested to hear how it all worked out.
#183 of 270 Old 08-20-2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
I hope that all the rest goes smoothly.
Me too. My birth story (not quite but almost finished) is rather long because it goes into all of that.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#184 of 270 Old 08-20-2004, 04:36 PM

Congrats, Madrone. Wishing you lots of rest and blessings for you and your little one. I would love to hear your story when you are ready.

Aloha

Annie
#185 of 270 Old 08-20-2004, 06:23 PM

Yay madrone! I'd love to hear your birth story too.
#186 of 270 Old 08-20-2004, 11:17 PM

Congratulations Madrone!! Count me in as interested
#187 of 270 Old 08-21-2004, 02:47 PM

Congratulations Madrone! Enjoy the baby-moon.

Thanks for the tip Magemom on PT for "female complaints," as the old books say. I hadn't thought of that. I am interested in the measurement of effectiveness for kegels- sounds like that could be hugely helpful.

I have read that shoulder stands in yoga can help with prolapses. I know a massage therapist who specializes in prenantal/postpartum; maybe she has some tips.
#188 of 270 Old 08-21-2004, 05:56 PM

Congratulations Madrone! Enjoy your babymoon!

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#189 of 270 Old 08-21-2004, 07:19 PM

Congratulations madrone I can't wait to hear your story
#190 of 270 Old 08-21-2004, 08:42 PM

Yeah, if you decide not to post it online, please send it to me too.
#191 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 03:09 PM

Congrats Madrone and baby! I'd love to hear your story as well. You are in my thoughts.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#192 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 03:47 PM

Hello All,
Congratulations Madrone!
We just welcomed our #2, a baby boy. Actually born Aug 19, his official due date, at 5:30 A.M. About 19-20 in long and 9 lbs. I'm still working on the birth story and will post it soon. It was so different from the first which was a very intense, fast, waterbirth. This one was slow to progress, laboring in and out of the water for 7 plus hours. Then I was tired, I knew DD would wake up soon, and I had discovered that my waters still had not broken, so I ditched the tub, labored on land for a few minutes, used the toilet where my waters broke, then high-tailed it back to my nest on the floor and started making the earth-mama sounds as I pushed him out in 3 contractions probably in less than 3 minutes. Okay, that's the brief version of the birth story.

But the real reason I'm posting now is for info on retained placenta. We did not do a thorough check of the placenta after the birth (I knew I should but I was such a mess I just wanted to get clean and then DD woke up and the day began!). So after 24 hours of horrible afterpains, the next morning I passed a piece of placenta the size of a potato. That stopped the heavy bleeding. Then another 24 hours of pretty intense menstral like afterpains and then the bleeding pretty much stopped completely (down to pantyliner type). Then, this morning, 72 hours after birth I passed another piece, the size of a small potato or a large egg.

The books I have treat retained placenta as a reason for rushing to the hospital, but since my bleeding was no heavier than with the first babe, and there's no signs of infection, we haven't done that. We do have the placenta, but it's frozen and we haven't checked it because each day I feel so much better than the last, I'm convinced that it's done. But I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this or info on it. My uterus has been contracting in size and now feels pretty normal and in place. Since this morning the afterpains are minimal.

Other than that, we are all great. Happy, healthy, the milk is in and he's cute as a bug. Best to all, Violet

p.s. I'm going to post a portion of this on the B&B list to see if I can get other perspectives.
#193 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 03:55 PM

Are you sure it's bits of placenta and not just really large clots? My midwife says anything smaller than an egg is ok in terms of clots; larger clots might need more methergine/pitocin/etc. My bleeding was rather heavy due to a full bladder and apparently record-large placenta, so she left me some pills to take. Are you doing regular massage of your abdomen and applying ice? These can help also.

Congratulations!!
#194 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Congratulations, Violet!!! It sounds like your body is taking care of things. I just took a look in Spiritual Midwifery, and it says basically that there's no need to take action unless there is too much bleeding. Not that it's the authority or anything but that's at least one book that doesn't automatically regard it as an emergency.
#195 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 04:03 PM

I think since your uterus has been shrinking just fine and you dont' feel dizzy from extreme blood loss/have a "normal" amount of pp flow, your body has been doing just fine taking care of itself. I think it sounds like your body passed the last of the placenta (or clots)..

I remember for my hospital births you had to report to the nurses if you passed any clots the size of a quarter (!) or larger! Thats small LOL. After my second I passed a , well, small potatoe is an accurate analogy! I decided to not say anything because I didn't want any extra panic flying around me and lo and behold I was totally fine.

ANYWAYS Congratulations on your new baby!! Enjoy your babymoom mama!!
#196 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet
the real reason I'm posting now is for info on retained placenta. ... the milk is in ...
If your milk is in I'm pretty sure you aren't retaining any of your placenta.
#197 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the support mamas. I'm feeling so great today, I think it's all over, whatever it was. I'm pretty sure it was placenta, not clots because it was tissue-y and because of the unusual discomfort with the afterpains. The first day they really felt as a bad as labor pains, just thankfully not as frequent. It just felt out of the ordinary. And they were so big! We aren't talking little baby new potato here, the first one was Idaho spud and the second was medium roasting tater size. Ah well, hasn't kept from loving my babe and enjoying these precious first days with my family. Sometime on Friday I said to my husband - "can you believe if we did it that other way I'd still be in the hospital!?" As I pad around the house in my pajamas, eating what I want, doing laundry, and playing with DD, the big sis! Who would choose the hospital? Thanks again, Violet
#198 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 08:24 PM

Hi Violet - congratulations!

After the birth of my second, the placenta was examined and seemed whole. The next day I passed a clot around the size of a baseball, which came out with cramping and in a gush but without much extra bleeding afterwards. The nurse I talked to couldn't explain it but said that as long as I wasn't still bleeding, I didn't have to come in. I had very little bleeding overall with that birth/afterbirth, plus the post-birth bleeding was over in less than 2 weeks, so for me passing a large clot wasn't a bad thing. Oh, and I also passed quite a few smaller ones (marble to small egg size) both before and after the large one.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#199 of 270 Old 08-22-2004, 09:34 PM

Congrats Violet. I love how you just stated matter-of-factly that the baby was born on august 19th. Way to go! I bet he is gorgeous Sounds like you are probably fine if you are not bleeding heavily still. My SIL passed a large clot soon after her birth, and stopped bleeding rather quickly (less than two weeks)... maybe some people just bleed differently. I'm *still* lighly bleeding

On the subject of clots... when my freeborn DD was born (6 weeks ago) there was a small baby potatoe size clot attached to the ammniotic sac. Also there were some clots in her umbilical cord. I still wonder about that.... Do any of you know what that could be from? I was eating lots of spanokopita before she was born (full of spinach) and spinach is supposed to contain Vitamen K which is a blood coagulator. Do you think that spinach is that strong?
#200 of 270 Old 08-23-2004, 12:42 AM

CONGRATULATIONS Violet!!

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#201 of 270 Old 08-23-2004, 11:59 AM

mamajazza - well, Popeye sure thought it was that strong, but honestly that's a good question!
#202 of 270 Old 08-23-2004, 12:07 PM

double post that I thought was eaten whoops!
#203 of 270 Old 08-23-2004, 05:10 PM

I got this in my email from Babycenter - thought it was funny that I couldn't pick one of their options (well, maybe I could have said 'relative' since my kids will be there, but the assumption that you'll have medical staff around is still there).

You--and your partner--may need someone you can count on next to you during childbirth for support, strength, and guidance.The question is, who will it be?

Will you--or did you--have anyone besides your partner assist during childbirth?
Friend
Relative
Labor assistant or doula
No one besides partner and medical staff

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#204 of 270 Old 08-23-2004, 10:59 PM

maybe you should email them telling them they need to change the options to account for us UCers!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#205 of 270 Old 08-24-2004, 09:17 AM

Congratulations, Madrone and violet! I can't wait to read your stories.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#206 of 270 Old 08-24-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
maybe you should email them telling them they need to change the options to account for us UCers!

Oh yeah that'd go over like a lead balloon! :

Babycenter is the most offensively mainstream of the baby sites out there. I'm sure any admin would think a UC'er is a quackjob. At least Parentsplace has a UC forum (though the rest more mainstream give or take)
#207 of 270 Old 08-24-2004, 09:57 PM

hi all,

i have been keeping up with the uc threads for a few months. i thought my midwife might back out of attending due to the legal climate here, but i have also been interested in uc anyways. she decided keep her commitment and attend.

we didn't know if we would call anyone. we would just wait and see how we felt and if the other kids were awake. i thought it would start in the middle of the night and have an earlier morning birth.

well, it started sunday afternoon. around 3:30pm i started losing the mucus plug. dh and the kids returned home shortly after. when they arrived i told them we were going to have a baby before we went to bed.

we put groceries away and ate a something. then started getting the room ready for the birth and filling the tub. around 5pm i decided to call my friends who would help out with the kids if we needed them. at the time no one was home i just left messages. shortly after calling, my 2 year old was starting to get unmanagable.

we decided we should have them come. i let the kids get in the pool with me for a little awhile before anyone arrived. i started to get a little frustarted with the kids jumping around and labor was getting up. i started getting vocal and my 2 year old was copying my sounds. it is cute in retrospect, but at the time i didn't like it.

people started arriving around 6 pm. we decided since we called our friends we should go ahead and call the midwife too. she really wanted to here at the very beginning. she arrived around 7:30pm or so. she asked if she could check out a few things, but i said no. i didn't want to be touched or move from my spot in the pool. she was ok with it and didn't push anything.

i felt inside to see if i could feel the baby's head or bag of waters. i felt the water bag. shortly after that, i switched to hands and knees position. the bag popped!! i felt pushy and wanted to push like crazy the first time, but realized i was going to hurt myself and slowed down.

i decided to let the midwife support my bottom. then i slowed myself down and pushed much slower. i finally had his head out. she checked for around his neck for cord and nothing was there. i pushed the shoulders and the rest slide out.

he was born at 8:50pm. he weighed 12 lbs 4 oz and 23 1/2 in long. no tears, but a sore bottom. the afterpains get worse each time, too.

this was the first birth my midwife attended that was so hands off. everything worked out great.

i know my isn't a true uc, but i thought i would share. i have been keeping up with you all and felt like sharing.

we named him forest, but are still thinking about the middle name.
#208 of 270 Old 08-24-2004, 10:05 PM

YAHOO! Welcome Forest, and great job, juju!
#209 of 270 Old 08-24-2004, 10:08 PM

Congratulations juju! Sounds like a great birth.

And Congratulations violet, I missed you, enjoy your babymoon
#210 of 270 Old 08-24-2004, 10:23 PM

I'd like to join you if I may? Things are up in the air for what this birth will bring, but we are considering UC as an option! In fact, DH said today, why don't we just do it ourselves? Sounded good to me. I've had two previous c/s. First was due to FTP, stuck at "rim" for hours and me begging for c/s. Second was breech, preterm rupture of membranes.

I have no fears of childbirth, and don't even worry about the label "VBAC". I'm hoping to see a midwife for a little bit of prenatal care, but that's also a touchy subject in our state.

Good thing we have a long time to decide our plans. I've enjoyed reading all of your stories and info! Looking forward to gleaning more good info!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page