UC Thread #8, August '04 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 270 Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be great if the article had some good statistics in it. It would also be great if you included something about how despite characterizations by the medical community (and most people I've talked to), most of us UCers are well-educated, thoroughly prepared couples. Some resources might be nice. I'm not sure what you mean by 'precautions' but I don't think I'd be too happy to see a bunch of 'you shouldn't UC if...' type things, but that is probably because I think that the only people who absolutely shouldn't UC are those who don't think they can. Of course you may completely ignore my 'advice' if this is way off what you were planning - there is a reason you're writing this and I'm not

Oh - I looked up the code for Washington state and it seems to say that all I need is a live baby within 10 days, and DH's and my information and signatures. Not even proof of pregnancy! Now if I can just figure out WHICH office it is I'm supposed to go to (public health? DHS?) - all it says is "with the registrar" which makes no sense at all to me. I'm also kind of worried about whether the reality will be as simple as the law makes it sound.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#242 of 270 Old 08-30-2004, 09:33 PM

Georgia, yes, I'm doing a presentation on UC. Last year I did a talk at a midwifery college in Portland, and it was well received, so that when Laura Shanley decided not to do the MANA conference this year they asked me. And yes, I will have a new baby. Crazy, huh? But it is just too good an opportunity (to educate) to pass up.
#243 of 270 Old 08-30-2004, 09:38 PM

I think that the only people who absolutely shouldn't UC are those who don't think they can.

... what about women in labor whose babies are still transverse? that's still something mothers need to be aware of, and also how to recognize a situation that *needs* to be dealt with by a professional. yes, those cases are rare ~ but do i think it's right to leave out information simply to support my point? i'm not that type of person.

/nak
#244 of 270 Old 08-30-2004, 11:58 PM

Babies can turn at any point during the labor.
#245 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k'smami
Babies can turn at any point during the labor.
Very true...
#246 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 12:46 AM

Well, my point was more that a mama/couple planning a UC should educate themselves to know when they are in over their heads - I don't think you should need to list a bunch of instances where it wouldn't be adviseable to UC, I would emphasize instead that UCers and potential UCers should have the information necessary to deal with potential problems, and realize when a problem is beyond the scope of their education/ability/coping ability. The list of which circumstances this covers will be different for each UC mama/couple, especially considering that even high-risk pregnancies (and therefore most circumstances that most pregnant women and doctors would readily list - like hypertension, previous c-section, etc) are often safer delivered at home than at a hospital. I'm forgetting which book I read it in, but hasn't there been a study that says infant death is something like 6x more likely in the hospital for high-risk pregnancies? So things we usually think of as disqualifiers may mean that a UC couple has to carefully consider their individual position, but it doesn't mean that we need to go ahead and say that they CAN'T UC.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#247 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
Oh - I looked up the code for Washington state and it seems to say that all I need is a live baby within 10 days, and DH's and my information and signatures. Not even proof of pregnancy! Now if I can just figure out WHICH office it is I'm supposed to go to (public health? DHS?) - all it says is "with the registrar" which makes no sense at all to me. I'm also kind of worried about whether the reality will be as simple as the law makes it sound.
I'm guessing here, but this page: http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/chs/chs...c/mainlaws.htm makes me think the department of health. Maybe call anonymously to ask about their "home birth packet."

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#248 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 AM

Quote:
a mama/couple planning a UC should educate themselves to know when they are in over their heads
i agree.....

Quote:
I don't think you should need to list a bunch of instances where it wouldn't be adviseable to UC, I would emphasize instead that UCers and potential UCers should have the information necessary to deal with potential problems, and realize when a problem is beyond the scope of their education/ability/coping ability.
i will definitely be emphasizing that, but i was considering adding all of the information i have to the article ~ if we don't make the information more readily available, more people won't know about it. kwim? it took me 4 1/2 years to gather enough information to feel completely comfortable w/ my decision to birth my daughter unassisted, and i would have been very gratetful had i had an article or magazine with tons of information and links to more resources / books, that was pro-UC and woman-positive, (i.e., a spin of "women were designed for birth ~ we can birth any baby we can grow!")
#249 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 02:12 AM

klothos.. I'm just wondering something.. I thought that you had a midwife right up untill the end of the pregnancy, when you decided to have her unnassisted? Or was that someone else?
#250 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 02:27 AM

i was with an OB (who had been my regular gyno.) up until ~37 weeks... (that was about when he said babies born past 37 weeks are "like shoving a large table through a small doorway ~ one or the other has to break..." )
#251 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 11:48 AM

Perhaps then you should qualify such a list with "some people believe that if xyz, then one shouldn't UC". But if you endorse situations in which you would tell people that you believe there are certain factors which "risk you out" from having a UC, you will have a lot of work on your hands from the shitstorm of letters you'll get from UCers to the request for links and statistics that led you to make such assertions.
#252 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 12:31 PM

Why address who shouldn't UC, at all? People already have their own issues regarding UC. To list potential reasons not to UC seems redundant to me.

#253 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 12:39 PM

I agree that there seems to be a need for this in the UC the community, people are always asking, "But what do I look for? How do I know if it's time to transfer?" I think, though, that it's far beyond the scope of a magazine article. There are midwifery texts that cover these things, but it would be better to have something with a specifically UC focus. Maybe you should write a book, Klothos.
#254 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 12:44 PM

Hey Klothos (and anybody else) would you be willing to share your list of UC-specific resources? I'm putting together a packet for my talk and I know I'm probably missing stuff.
#255 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 01:17 PM

www.lauriemorgan.com

has an extensive resources page.
#256 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 01:19 PM

Okay, I just think this is a horrible idea. In the moment, anything can "look" like a reason to transfer. Birth is not a logical time. It's not about statistics. I refuse to even think about "when would I transfer?", b/c if I"m having a UC, I should be operating on a higher level of understanding than some textbook-level knowledge.

If a main concern of a UCer is "when should I transfer?", she should probably be having a midwife-assisted or hospital birth.
#257 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:

It is most likely the registrar at the Vital Records office. I have the application to get a certified copy of DS's certificate here, and I'd be going to that office (3701 Pacific Ave Suite 100 Tacoma 98418 for Pierce County).

They'd be a good place to start, at least. Their phone number (I could just post the link to the website but this seems more direct and it's public info) 253.798.6418.
#258 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 03:36 PM

"If a main concern of a UCer is "when should I transfer?", she should probably be having a midwife-assisted or hospital birth."

I totally disagree! I very much have in mind under what circumstances I would want to transfer, and I don't see why that should disqualify me for a UC.

I do agree though that each person needs to look to their individual situation rather than some dogmatic rule -- I mean, we can't just say something is across the board true, like, "meconium in the waters merits transfer." Rather I think most homebirthers want to be aware of what meconium might mean, so that they can then make an informed decision about what to do about it, if anything. This sort of thing is admittedly not something I'm interested in covering when I talk about UC, but that doesn't mean it's not information that is valid for someone to seek out.
#259 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 03:44 PM

I see what you're saying, Linda. That's why I use words like "probably". :LOL Nothing is 100% for everyone.

I still don't think a UCers main concern should be transferring. There is lots of info out there about plenty of potentially dangerous situations without focusing this type of info specifically toward the UCing audience. IMO.
#260 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
"If a main concern of a UCer is "when should I transfer?", she should probably be having a midwife-assisted or hospital birth."

I totally disagree! I very much have in mind under what circumstances I would want to transfer, and I don't see why that should disqualify me for a UC.

I do agree though that each person needs to look to their individual situation rather than some dogmatic rule -- I mean, we can't just say something is across the board true, like, "meconium in the waters merits transfer." Rather I think most homebirthers want to be aware of what meconium might mean, so that they can then make an informed decision about what to do about it, if anything...
ITA
#261 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 10:50 PM

We had our longest but easiest labor, my hardest birth, our largest birth audience, and our first daughter, Nilah Serenity, last evening. Our 3 boys are in love, Daddy is in blissful shock, and momma is just glad we're done!! Nilah weighed 8lbs 12oz, and we ended up having the midwife there. I am grateful she was, and that she listened to me and my concerns about my labor--it was a great team.

My childbearing days are officially over! I have my girl!!
#262 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 PM

Any one want to start a new thread? This one is too long!
#263 of 270 Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM

congratulations! s
#264 of 270 Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunmama
We had our longest but easiest labor, my hardest birth, our largest birth audience, and our first daughter, Nilah Serenity, last evening. Our 3 boys are in love, Daddy is in blissful shock, and momma is just glad we're done!! Nilah weighed 8lbs 12oz, and we ended up having the midwife there. I am grateful she was, and that she listened to me and my concerns about my labor--it was a great team.
Yeah for girls!congrats I love her name...
#265 of 270 Old 09-02-2004, 02:24 PM

welcome nilah! enjoy your babymoon, oshunmama.

i'm not getting to a computer very often or for very long these days, but i wanted to check in and say hi. i try to catch up on the uc thread 1st and foremost if i get time at a computer. this has been such an important forum for me. it reminds me that i can trust my intuition just like in the rest of my life...and reminds me to keep learning and listening inside.

klothos, one thing that comes to mind (and i hope my preg. brain can get it out in a way that makes sense!) is about the transfer/'risk' idea....that different families have different education about health care. many reasons for transfer can be dealt with using methods of bodywork/energywork, homeopathy, flower remedies, positioning, warm water,etc. but since everyone has different levels of knowledge/resources, there's nothing set in stone about what conditions should lead to transfer. for example, two friends of mine (one's dh is the other's bro, so they're sil's) gave birth to 'gurgly' babes (mw-assisted). one had a mw knowledgeable in homeopathy, one didn't. the former was given a single dose of the correct remedy, the latter gave oxygen until the baby was getting blue and they transferred and ended up with the total nicu "just in case, we want to watch him" 2 week package. this also, actually, matched the parents' styles, too--mellow, take care of it themselves vs. drama, attention-seeking lifestyle. there's just sooo many factors that come into it.

also, about transverse and how babies can turn at anytime, i remember reading in the past month(?) on mdc about a woman giving birth to a baby who was transverse through labor up until delivery was imminent. lucky baby that has a mama that trusting in the process!! but maybe you could use her in your article as an example if she's into it...and you can find her.

re: blueviolet's comment (i think it was on this thread?) about the risks being riskier in hospitals...a friend of mine uc'd her 1st (and only so far) and had placenta previa. it caused no problem in the birth. so maybe touching on what some consider a deadly risk in a hospital, isn't always a risk at home?

don't know if any of this was enough to make sense...maybe you can see where i was hoping to go? these days, i'm unable to pull my thoughts together enough to....well i can't remember what i was even going to say! : ahhhh....livin' the life of the simple-minded. it's definitely quieter in my head now, just a bunch of songs.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#266 of 270 Old 09-02-2004, 04:02 PM

Can you tell us more about the home birth with placenta previa? Everyone gets so scared about it (including me) but at the same time I wonder about it. Transverse, too. No one thinks the baby will turn. The other day I was even thinking, as long as the baby is in a bendable position, wouldn't it get bent into a butt first position? Couldn't it start getting squeezed down anyway? And then it could even turn then, maybe.

I don't know, didn't push my baby out due to midwife stupidity (knew herbs, didn't know homeopathy, I like homeopathy and herbs affect me almost pathologically, and there was an ugly moment where they were trying to FORCE Rescue Remedy down my throat, it was NOT nice), but I think about the physicality of these things...

#267 of 270 Old 09-02-2004, 04:21 PM

Congratulations Oshunmama!

Welcome Earthside Nilah!
#268 of 270 Old 09-02-2004, 06:08 PM

Hi ladies!! Sorry I haven't been around much... I wanted to jump back into the dicussion here but I will need some time to catch up --looking forward to reading the posts. I wanted to say Welcome to any new members here and Congrats to those that have birthed their babies recently!

I am nearing 37 weeks with this pregnancy and am having lots of BH contrax. My daughter came out at 37 weeks so who knows if this one will to.. (probably not!! :LOL)
#269 of 270 Old 09-02-2004, 06:24 PM

I was about to away when I realized, hey, it's september already! Should I go look for the new thread? :LOL
#270 of 270 Old 09-06-2004, 11:59 AM

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DAUGHTER Enjoy your babymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunmama

My childbearing days are officially over! I have my girl!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page