Homebirthing Moms 2005 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 163 Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody!

I'm Kacey. Just about 20 wks pg with baby #2. I am switching from a hospital-based mw to a homebirth mw. It's something we thought about with our first, but just couldn't seem to make it happen. Our experience with the hospital was probably about as good as it can be. Our mw was fantastic and the nurse was a natural/Bradley birther herself so she was very supportive. My main problem was the disruption of leaving home to go to the hospital. The ride was awful, having to go throught the ER sucked, blood/urine test etc. were all very disruptive.

Part of the problem is that I think most women get to the hospital very early so they don't take you very seriously. They treated me as is I was over-reacting. Meanwhile ds was born 2 hours after I arrived, so I was in very active labor when I got there.

Also, now that we have a son I don't want to have to deal with leaving him home or bringing him to the hospital. It will be so nice to let him be there in his own environment as well. And we don't have to sleep in the yucky hospital either.

BTW, Joan, a while back I had asked about homebirth mws in NJ and you were the person who replied to my question. I think we'll be using the same MW, isn't that funny?!
#62 of 163 Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 AM

I haven't gotten to read all the posts yet, but will get around to it.

I am Jennifer, a sahm, who lives with my dh in east texas. We have a ds who is just over 2 years. He was a planned homebirth, but b/c my water had been broken for over 24 hours, I was transferred. That won't happen again! I absolutely refuse to go to the hospital for any reason other than an emergency!
That said, , we're planning a home water birth again for thsi little bean who's due late January.
We also have 6 : and 1 crazy, very old : .

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#63 of 163 Old 08-19-2004, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kaley and Jennifer! Welcome to the thread.
Jennifer, that 24-hr water-breaking time limit is one reason I don't want to be in the hospital. Without a lot of vaginal exams, and with contractions going on, the risk of infection is not that great, IMO. Those doctors and their time limits!

Heidi, thank you so much for telling me about your Women's Studies class setting you on the road to midwifery. I was wondering how you decided on that career. That is excellent! I'll look for a copy of Our Bodies Ourselves at the library.

We do have midwives in the St. Louis area, two. They're a little bit undercover; I found them by word of mouth. The legal climate does make it harder to promote home birth here.

Jessica
#64 of 163 Old 08-20-2004, 08:53 AM

Ladies, I have to say goodbye. We're loosing this baby. I wish you all happy, healthy pregnancies and wonderful births.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#65 of 163 Old 08-20-2004, 09:05 AM

Joan I am so very sorry. Please take care of yourself. We will all be thinking of you.
#66 of 163 Old 08-20-2004, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh no! Joan, I'm so sorry!
#67 of 163 Old 08-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Thank you all.

Kacey, Judy is a wise woman--enjoy your journey with her.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#68 of 163 Old 08-21-2004, 11:45 AM

s: Joan
#69 of 163 Old 08-24-2004, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

On other topics...

I'm reading a cute little story from the book outlet, Navel Gazing. The author found that in pregnancy, she came to love her body, which she never had previously. What do you gals think? Are you more or less happy with your body during pregnancy?

I find it a bit awkward already for getting up and rolling around, but I love looking in the mirror now. My complexion my be worse, but it can't hide how happy I am.
#70 of 163 Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 PM

Joan-I am so sorry. So sorry.

Jessitron- I love my pregnant body so much more than when I'm not prego. I'm more comfortable with and in it.
Interesting, isn't it?

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#71 of 163 Old 08-24-2004, 07:44 PM

How did I miss this thread?

Anyway, you can call me Parthenia, and I live in Greenfield, MA. We have one dd who is 5, and was born in a birth center in a hospital. I had a wonderful birth and a wonderful CNM. Several things influenced both dh and me to have this next baby at home. First, the driving to the hospital in the middle of really intense contractions really sucked. I was happier at home and dh had a hard time getting me off the toilet and into the car. I pushed for about 45 minutes and dd was born an hour after we got to the hospital (which was a 30 minute drive). I labored all day at home and my MIL, a nurse and massage therapist took care of me. I could've stayed home!
After dd was born, the nurses kept taking her away for this that and the other thing. They actually woke me up when we are all comfortably sleeping in the same room and said dd was feeling cold and they wanted to take her to the nursery to warm her up. WTF? They took her away from the perfect heat source--me! Anyway, the next morning we were up and ready to go, except the ped hadn't showed up, and then the discharge nurse took forever to discharge us, and the whole day I just wanted to go home and snuggle with my new baby in my own bed. We finally left at 4pm (I was showered and dressed at 10) with the dischrge nurse telling me I should stay another day.
We didn't have a homebirth last time because we lived in a tiny apartment, dh was too nervous, and the hospitals around here have a reputation to be being very open to drug/cutting-free births. And we couldn't afford it. My ins. paid for everything, including my prenatal visits. And I had excellent CNM's whom I later found out were mostly all pro-homebirth. (CNM's for political reasons don't generally do hb's in Massachusetts.)

When we found out we were expecting #2, a total surprise, just like #1, we had just put a deposit on a new house. The first thing I told dh was, "we're staying home this time". And his response was "yeah! I don't want to deal with the hospital people again." And so here we are. HB's are very popular around here. 3 women in the past 3 months at dh's work have had hb's with the same midwives I'm seeing. I had a hard time choosing a midwife because there are so many of them around here! It really came down to a personality contest, and a coin toss.

Anyway, glad to be here. Now off to read the whole thread!
#72 of 163 Old 08-24-2004, 08:00 PM

Welcome to the new ladies...

Do i like my preggo body more...
I beleive so. I dont feel like i'm fat. I am just startng to show. i'l probably feel like a whale come Jan, but for now, its kinda cool. I particularly like having boobies
#73 of 163 Old 08-26-2004, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe I missed this thread! I am glad it is here.I am Amber and I live in WY. I am planning a homebirth for my 3rd baby. The first was a c-sec and the second was a beautiful homebirth. I can't wait for this one. My edd is Valentines Day 05', but we all know how that works. My babies take longer to bake so I am planning on the 20 somethingth! Hope to get to know everyone.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#74 of 163 Old 08-26-2004, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Amber! AmBam, what a cute screen name. Congratulations on your valentine pregnancy! I would love it if mine is late and born on V-day. 'Course, that will make it difficult to go out to birthday dinners when he grows up.

What is the status of home birth midwives in WY? Is it a good legal climate?
#75 of 163 Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Jessitron,

The laws in WY are stupid. It is not legal for a midwife to do prenatal or postnatal care, but it is legal for her to deliver!?! Doesn't make much sence. I live right on the WY-ID border. The midwife lives on the Idaho side so we go to her place for prenatal and postnatal and she comes to my home to deliver. Messed up I know, but that is how it is. It works. I love her. She is in her early 40's and has 13 children. She is a really neat lady. It is funny how much I have come to love her.
I better run. I am expecting company.

Oh~ I used to live in MO. About an hour from Springfield! Have you always lived in MO??

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#76 of 163 Old 08-26-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

That is bizarre! No prenatal care but yes to delivery. Weeeeird.

I've lived in Chattanooga, TN; Hannibal, MO; and now St. Louis. Missouri is mostly a good state. Here it is not legal for independent midwives to practice at all. That's why there are only two serving a metropolitan area of 2.6 million. whoa.

There are advantages to the illegal status: they don't have to answer to any licensing boards or insurers. The midwives who do practice, do so because they really love and believe in healthy birth. That makes them easy to love.
#77 of 163 Old 08-26-2004, 08:20 PM

Colorado's also kind of funky.

Its illegal for CNM's to do homebirths
Its illegal for LPM's to do hospital births
LPMS can do prenatal, postpartum and birth care... but can't do well woman type pap smears
#78 of 163 Old 08-26-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
I've lived in Chattanooga, TN; Hannibal, MO; and now St. Louis.
Can I ask where and when you lived in Chattanooga? I grew up there, left in 1998. Actually I lived on the Georgia side of the line, but close enough. Most of my friends lived in Tennessee proper, though.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#79 of 163 Old 08-27-2004, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Kash, I grew up on Signal Mountain. We lived in a trailer back in the woods. It was a great place for a child.
I have lots of relatives in Chattanooga now, an aunt in Ooltewah and who just moved to... um.. Red Bank maybe, and a step-grandmother out on Harrison Pike, down Amnicola hwy. All on the Tennessee side. Chattanooga is a really nice town; I'd like to move there someday.

The midwifery laws are crazy! The physicians' organizations clearly have a lot of clout.
#80 of 163 Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 AM
rad

Hi, I'm Rachel. I'm in IL. I'm planning my 3rd homebirth in mid March 05. I have 2 children. DS kaelan (3 year) and DD Chandra (1 year). Both were born at home. I've laways chosen homebirth because I just don't feel comfortable in the hospital. I'm not sick so I'm not going to have my baby in a place that treats sick people. I also know that I no interventions and I don't feel that a hospital could respect those wishes.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#81 of 163 Old 08-31-2004, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel, hi! Where in Illinois do you live? Anywhere near St. Louis? If in Chicagoland, do you use HomeFirst?
#82 of 163 Old 08-31-2004, 05:40 PM
rad

I'm up in Northern IL. About an hour away from Chicago. I actually use Dr Elvove. I don't know muh about Homefirst but I guess it's kind of similar? I've been actually thinking about looking into UC more with this baby.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#83 of 163 Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 PM

Hi there like minded momma's! Home Birthin' families seem so far and few between here in West Michigan. We are planning our third home birth with the same midwife who was at MY OWN birth 26 years ago. Both births of our girls, Emily-7, and Alayna-4 were great HB experiences adn I would never consider doing it any other way!
I think we are going to shoot for a water birth this time since our midwife now has a tub to rent. THat sounds wonderful! Someone posted some great pictures somewhere here on MDC and that made me want to try it all the more!
I guess the reason we have HB's is because I grew up in a community where that was common practice, and three of the women that I looked up to were midwives. My brother and I were both born at home (well he was lucky enough to be born a "The Farm" in Tennessee, but that was home to them then)!
We are due sometime in Feb. I've got to stop rambling and get to preschool orientation. I'll be back.
#84 of 163 Old 09-01-2004, 09:32 PM

Still trying to decide on a mw. I met witht he second one yesterday. It seems like a lot is riding on this decision. Here's what I posted in my due date forum about the candidates:
The problem is I really liked the other one, too, and was ready to sign up with her. I only saw this one (mainly) so I could say I didn't take the first one I found. But now, the decision is hard, because they both have good points! The first one has done fewer births, and sees herself as "guardian of safety", which goes along with my deep down desire to do UC. She's also from Europe so I think her ideas about things will be affected by this, and I like that. She is also the closest to our new house. She used to be a dancer, which I think is neat.
The second has quite a bit more experience, but I would have to go farther for appointments, and she has further to go to reach us in labour. She seems more prepared to deal with emergencies (has come across some birth anomalies before, mentioned that she is prepared to treat hemhorrage), is familiar with childbirth hypnosis and Natural Infant Hygiene (didn't ask the other one about EC, but she's from Europe, so there's a good chance she knows about it), but has a higher pay scale and a more rigid payment schedule.

Anyway, those are some of the main differences. Dh asked most of the questions with the first, but wasn't here for the second one, so we don't have the same info about both. I think I may email them both with further questions before deciding.

How did you decide on a mw?
#85 of 163 Old 09-01-2004, 09:37 PM

After meeting with two different midwives (and their apprentices), I just knew. Both were competently trained and so on. In fact, the one that we didn't choose is probably closer to my philosophy on things like the use of herbs, but when we met ours, I (and dh) both knew she was someone we would want to have at the birth, over the other.

Not much help, huh?

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#86 of 163 Old 09-01-2004, 10:16 PM

Ditto what Patchfire said. We just plain clicked.
(the clues were she's also an Alumni of my college, and she does the same Spiritual stuff my DH does ~ Siddha Yoga).
#87 of 163 Old 09-02-2004, 08:11 AM

You know that does help. I think. I feel very drawn to this first one we met. Maybe it's romantic appeal: she was a dancer and she's from England. But I think she might be less experienced than the other. Of course she works with a much more experienced mw who will also be at the birth, but this more experienced one is one I got recommendations against. As far as the second mw I met, she's much farther away, so appts would be a PITA to get to, especially at the end. But she said she could deliver breech babies and was familiar with the birth anomalies my SIL, the NICU nurse said should warrant an u/s. Anyway, I'm just babbling now...
#88 of 163 Old 09-02-2004, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Pam, that's a tricky one. Probably go with the one you feel safer with.

We had a hard time deciding between two as well. We liked both. Neither was an instant click, but both were comfortable. We chose the one with more experience because I feel safer with her for my first birth. The other was a little more calm and grandmotherly, and I liked that. Maybe the unconscious deciding factor was the smell at the two prenatal locations. One had mildew or old cats or something going on. (It wasn't the midwife's home, but a conveniently located apartment she borrowed for the day.)

Someone complained to me the other day that in the polls to determine which presidential candidate is ahead, one of the questions people were asked was "Which candidate would you rather go out and have a drink with?" I found it a valid question, because it asks which one seems more personable and interesting to talk to.
Does that apply to midwives too?
#89 of 163 Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 PM

Pam we've interviewed 2 midwives now, too. However, both dh and I felt we clicked much better with the second. She's very down to earth, great reccomendations, and a massage therapist to boot! But she is farther away...but her apprentice is basically across the street from us. I'm pretty sure I will hire her, but I' having some other problems. My depression has really kicked in over last few months. So I went back on meds to help. But my midwife can't manage these meds for me so I still have to see a dr. Anyone have experiance with this? I don't want to/ can't go back to my regular dr while I'm pregnant and she advised me last time I was on meds not to nurse, even though everything I read said it's very low risk and I should be able to nurse.
#90 of 163 Old 09-02-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Jess, sorry to hear about your depression. Can you see a doctor and midwife at the same time? Is an OB the person to manage the meds? (who prescribes them?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page