Homebirthing Moms 2005 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I've been thinking about it and realized I don't *need* a doc anyway. My mw can do all the stuff I'd have done at my doc's, the only thing the doc can do that a mw can't here, is order tests. We already decided against u/s, and I probably won't do the gest diab. screen, so I may not be an issue. I was thinking it would be almost over-medicalization to have that overlap of care! Plus, the mw works with docs in our new town, where dh grew up, and one of the docs she works with is still technically his family doc!
I can't wait till tomorrow, it's my first mw appt.!!!
#122 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 03:37 PM

I had to sign a form saying that basically I acknowledge that I'm taking my life into my own hands. BUT the OB practice I see is very hb friendly, and the hopsital birth center they work out of is very natural childbirth, waterbirth, low intervention friendly. The OB's don't actually attend births, the CNM's do, unless you spcifically request an OB at the birth (in hospital).
I met one of the OBs on Monday, and I adored her. The apprentice of the CPM's I see works in the same hospital as an RN, and she said this doc is more like a mw than the CNM's. I liked her better than than CNM's I've seen in this practice.
The CPM's I see have very good relationships with the local hospitals. Most of their clients see a CNM or OB just to meet people who might be at the hospital in case they end up giving birth in an hospital. This is what I decided to do. I only go to the OB practice for an u/s (because I was not completely sure when I conceived, and because I like to see!) and for a gestational diabetes test (because it's something I'm skittish about, even though I don't trust the test). Other than that I will make enough appt's to see all the CNM's and OB's I might encounter in the hospital.
There are hb mv's in my area who don't encourage this, or don't foster relationships with OB practices. I considered a mw whom I liked very much like this, and I understand the distance some moms would prefer. I'm really glad I had not only a vast choice of mw's, but a choice of midwifery styles!
#123 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Parthenia, sounds like you live in a great spot for natural birth. Very, very different from here. Lucky you! Are lay midwives legal for home births?

Pam and Abigail, yucky about your doctor. Not that you need the doc, but still icky feelings of rejection. Mine never called when I failed to schedule my fifth prenatal, and I'm happy about that.

Parthenia, why do you want to take the GD test? It sounds pretty hokey from what I've read about it. Do you have some symptoms or a family history of GD or really huge babies?
#124 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 04:20 PM

I went to my ob appt today. I did the ultrasound because dh REALLY wanted to, even though we agreed not to find out the sex. We're having a healthy baby, everything looks good. And I got a picture of the baby's face...kind of look slike an alien, but that what I suspected all along...

And I think I'll do what Jess did and just not schedule another appt. I can still go back if I need help with my antidepressant, or anything like that. the thing is I have really great insureance right now so it basically cost $15 total to have a baby, and I paid that at my first visit...so basically anything else is free.

I'm curious about the GD test. Why is it a routine test?
#125 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 PM

Hi everyone! I just discovered this thread & wanted to join in

My name is Kathy, and we're expecting our second baby in late January, and planning our second home birth! We have now chosen our midwife (after a LONG summer of moving) and have our first prenatal this coming Monday... I am really excited to start focusing in on this pregancy. I've always been intrigued by the idea of having a water birth, but because we were renting a second floor apartment with our first child it wasn't an option. This time we'll definitely be getting a pool!

I recognize quite a few familiar names from our January expecting club... hi all!
#126 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 05:47 PM

slygrrl-Welcome and I think we're due on the same date! I keep forgetting the date though, I've just been telling people the end of January.
#127 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Kathy! Yep, lots of January '05 moms on here. I'm surprised how many people are just now picking their midwives. I guess that's part of the low-intervention homebirth philosophy. (Quite a contrast to the mainstream sites where chicks panic because their doctors won't see them until 8 or 12 weeks. Sheesh.)

Jess (Ruby's mom), does your insurance cover homebirth? My insurance is good like yours in the $10-for-everything way. (Plus $5/mo for prescription prenatals.) But it won't cover homebirth so that's $1500 out of pocket for the midwife. Chiropractor, yoga, Bradley, vitamins - we'll spend $4000 on this pregnancy before it's over.

I was reading about that GD test in Having A Baby Naturally this morning. It makes it sound like a crock. It says the test has only 30-50% repeatability.

It also says that only 30% of GD mothers have above-average size babies. That confuses me, because nearly 50% of mothers have above-average size babies, by definition of "average." Maybe it meant "significantly above average."

It does seem silly to me to expect a pregnant woman's metabolism to respond the same way as a non-pregnant woman's to any sort of arbitrary test.

And what's the problem with a fat baby anyway? I want a fat baby!
#128 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 PM

jessitron- yes I think our insurance cover 70% of the homebirth cost. Which is nice...and since this is the second I won't do another birth class and pretty much just do yoga at home. Working fulltime, I just don't have a lot of spare time and I like to spend asmuch of it with dh and dd as possible. that sucks your insurance won't cover any of the homebirth.

I was thinking about your comment that some girls hate to wait to see their ob once they are pregnant. The first time I was pregnant I really looked forward to my ob visits, because I was so unsure of everything. This time I waited to call the doc and even now I dread going to my visits, I don't find them helpful. So it will be nice to go to my first prenatal with my midwife next week. She asked me to keep a food journal for 3 days. I'm kind of nervous to see whatI'm really eating when I actually pay attention...
#129 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 07:35 PM

Hi, all. Haven't posted here in a bit, just lurking away.

I was determined to find a midwife before we got pregnant this time, just to have someone lined up. We didn't have anyone at all lined up when I got pg with dd, and by the time we saw anyone, it was getting stressful - people were bugging me about 'not having prenatal care' and it was just a big stress-inducer. So I'm much calmer this time. We didn't see the midwife until 11 weeks, won't see her again until 16 weeks, but just knowing she's *there* makes a huge difference for me, in terms of stress.

We told the in-laws last week about our hb plans. Dh sort of pre-empted their objections, but I anticipate many more comments and questions as time goes on.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#130 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 07:50 PM

Hi Everyone, we are in insurance hell. We have an HMO and since the homebirth mw is not in the HMO they will pay $0. So for now, until we decide what to do financially, we are still seeing our hospital mw. Our first was a positive hospital birth, totally intervention free, but we've since moved and have had to switch mw and hospital.

The out of pocket for a patient with no insurance (esentially, us) is $4,000. We are taking out a home equity loan anyway, so we're thinking of just tacking on an extra $4K. It seems like soooooo much money, but dh thinks it's the kind of thing you can't put a price on. In my heart I agree, but I'm always worried about our finances.

Other than that, I'm feeling good and everything seems healthy and normal. BTW, I am Bradley Method instructor (doing my student teaching actually) so of course I highly recommend it to anyone considering an intervention-free birth.

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well too!
#131 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Kacey, big difference in the cost of midwives. Does that include insurance? It's amazing how varied the costs of a hb are across the country. Personally I think our mw undercharges. At birthtime, depending on our finances, I plan to talk to DH about paying her more than that. But I'd spend $4000 on her in a heartbeat. It would be worth it. Do you do the finances at your house, or DH?

Kash, good luck with the in-laws. Mine were like, "Home? Okay."

General question: how difficult is it being pregnant with a child already vs your first pregnancy? Do you get enough rest the second time around? (or third, etc)
#132 of 163 Old 09-16-2004, 10:41 PM

Had a great mw appt today - the baby is measuring right on fundal height wise (20cm), my blood pressure, urine tests, and pulse aer all great. i actually have gained a few pounds, so she was pleased.
I asked about the GD test. She dosen't do it. She instead does a finger prick blood sugar check at 28 wks and moniters my urine for sugar spillage.
#133 of 163 Old 09-17-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Wow Parthenia, sounds like you live in a great spot for natural birth. Very, very different from here. Lucky you! Are lay midwives legal for home births?
Parthenia, why do you want to take the GD test? It sounds pretty hokey from what I've read about it. Do you have some symptoms or a family history of GD or really huge babies?
All homebirth midwives are alegal. They're in that fuzzy gray area. CNM's almost never do homebirths in Massachusetts. I've heard of one, but she now practices at a birth center. So homebirths are assisted by CPM's or DEM's. The CPM's I see happen to be non practicing RN's. One was trained and worked as a homebirth mw in England.

In all honesty I'm doing the GD test just to ease my mind. I don't have a history of large babies or GD. With my 1st dd my mom pestered me about the test because we have a high incidence of non-gestational diabetes, and evn though I know they aren't related, I'm a little paranoid. I also studied to be an RN and GD is one of those fear things that stuck with me from my OB classes and clinicals. So I'm willing to take the test (which is free from my HMO) so I can tell my mom that I did. If it came back positive it wouldn't change much for me anyway. It's just one of those things where everyone around me places so much creedence in a test that it's worried me, too. And, yeah, it's not that accurate. Go figure.
#134 of 163 Old 09-17-2004, 07:04 AM

I just wanted to chime in and say I didn't think there was a link between gestational and non-gestational diabetes, but of course, if taking the test eases your mind, by all means!

Also, I gained anther 5 pounds, for a total of 10 so far. I only gained 12 total with dd, so I guess I'm in for a bigger weight gain. I'm glad though, because I didn't gain at all until well into this trimester.

btw, Parthenia, I wanted to know about your name. I think it's beautiful, and I added it to my list. Is it from mythology? Which pantheon. jc

slygrrl
#135 of 163 Old 09-17-2004, 09:53 AM

I got it from "A Midwife's Tale", the diary of an 18th-19th c. midwife in Maine named Martha Ballard. Her niece's name was Parthenia. It's more English and Greek-inspired than actual Greek. While Greek mythology names were popular at the time--though not as popular as Biblical names, Parthenia was still uncommon.

It's not my name IRL, tho'. Most people who know me in the flesh call me Julia.
#136 of 163 Old 09-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It's neat to see so many Jan moms around!

One of the reasons that we just chose our midwife is because we were in the process of moving ALL summer ~ first, a 8wk stopover in one Canadian city while DH taught at a University there, and then arriving about a month ago in AL. Honestly though, I had to kick my butt in gear to move on getting a midwife ~ it was starting to look like I'd just coast through the whole pregnancy without one! To me, it will be fun to have someone to meet with every few weeks and chat with but it doesn't really feel "necessary" at this point, if that makes sense.

Jessitron, I have been so tremendously lucky with this pregnancy that I haven't experienced any exhaustion at all. If anything, I went through a period of insomnia early on but it didn't get really bad. I find the biggest difference is how quickly the pregnancy is flying by! I guess when you're caring for another child, there's less time to really be immersed in the process, kwim? I'm still enjoying it a lot, but I am much calmer about everything. For instance, we only heard the HB for the first time at 20 weeks, and I was really in no great hurry. The baby had been moving for several weeks, and I just felt like it would all come in time.

I'm curious, is anyone else considering or firmly decided to opt out of the Strep B test? I tested + with DD, and while I had a home birth I did receive antibiotics through IV at 2 separate times during the labor (not continually hooked up, obviously). After her birth, I began to read more on it and learned that it's not as cut & dry as I had been told during my last pregnancy. Now I am seriously considering not being tested at all, and just following a recommended diet to reduce bacteria levels, just in case. Any thoughts?
#137 of 163 Old 09-19-2004, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I'm curious, is anyone else considering or firmly decided to opt out of the Strep B test?
I think we'll probably do all the things to reduce the likelyhood of GBS, but unsure whether or not we'll actually do the test. Our MW had a client (her cousin, actually) who had it and the baby ended up seriously hospitalized for it for quite a while.
That has made me think more seriously about it, especially since lung/breathing problems run in my family. I just don't want to "assist" any health problems in my children...if I can help it.
So, I really don't know what we'll do about the test. What all have you guys heard about preventing GBS?

Now, warning! This may be too much info, so proceed with caution.
Is anyone else having major vaginal discharge? I feel like a freakin' river sometimes! It's gotten me worried, as this didn't happen with ds. I'm going to talk with my mw tues at my appt. abou it too. I don't think I have a yeast infection, at least it's not like any I've ever experienced before. ACCKKKK!
Sorry to gross anyone out.

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#138 of 163 Old 09-19-2004, 11:25 AM

you're not alone Jennifer.
As long as it doesn't itch, and doesn't smell, i wouldn't worry about it.
#139 of 163 Old 09-20-2004, 08:28 AM

Duh! I just found a great thread on GBS testing right here in the homebirth thread! Jennifer (and others) the link is http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9&page=1&pp=20
#140 of 163 Old 09-20-2004, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not planning to take the GBS test. I wouldn't do the antibiotics in any case.

A cat is trying to adopt us. Currently we only have fish. We're wondering what to do with this cat that follows us into the house and slept on our fuzzy toilet seat.
#141 of 163 Old 09-20-2004, 01:17 PM

well, if you feed it, it will never leave.
hopefully, you're not allergic to it.
#142 of 163 Old 09-20-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
A cat is trying to adopt us. Currently we only have fish. We're wondering what to do with this cat that follows us into the house and slept on our fuzzy toilet seat.
Sounds like you've been "chosen"

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#143 of 163 Old 09-20-2004, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly... I'm not even sure what GBS is. I wasn't tested with my last baby. Maybe with the first since I had a hospital birth, but if I was I I didn't know. How do they test and what exactly is it? I was going to ask my midwife on Thurs and I forgot. I will talk to her about it later. I wasn't tested probably won't this time as my mw has never even mentioned it.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#144 of 163 Old 09-21-2004, 10:28 AM

Just checking in.....I'm skipping all testing by ob's as long as I feel good and midwife agrees. I ran the full gamut of testing for the 1st pregnancy since I was so high risk (because I was 35!). Although I refused a lot of what they wanted me to do, including monthly US's and an amnio.

My midwife does a monthly pee test similar to what I got at the ob's and checks bp and will check fetal heartbeat with the non US tool (forget name). Other than that she spends our prenatal visits (which last up to 2 hours) talking about how things are going, physically and emotionally, etc. Incidentally, at each prenatal visit at OB, my blood pressure was elevated (another reason to label me high risk). So far my bp has been perfect with midwife. Hope this continues.

I just can't describe the feelings of contentment and satisfaction that have come with planning this home birth and having such a caring provider. Not having to deal with all the bs at the OB is a huge bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Are you all going to have your babe checked at pediatrician after birth? I'm thinking about going in at 2 weeks or something like that. Mostly to appease dh. Our mw does a few postpartem checks at home.

Hope you all are feeling well.

Mary
#145 of 163 Old 09-21-2004, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mary, yeah! Caring midwives rule!

I'm not planning on taking the baby to a pediatrician unless I'm worried about something in particular. But I haven't done a lot of research on that part yet.
#146 of 163 Old 09-21-2004, 12:18 PM

I'm not sure on the pediatrician thing either. my mw will do post partum check ups, I just don't know if i want to get involved in the whole "well baby" check up cycle. We will be delaying vax... i just don't know. Plus it'll be Feb, and cold, and in the middle of flu season... etc etc...
#147 of 163 Old 09-21-2004, 01:38 PM

On pediatricians... if you can find a good one, they're a great ally, and as long as you have insurance to cover it, it's not a huge expense. The ped. we currently have is v. supportive of breastfeeding and delaying vaccinations. He's where people who get kicked out of other practices for not vaccinating get referred. So for me, I don't mind taking dd for her annual checkup nor will I mind taking the baby, because I know he looks at what each individual family/child needs as far as frequency. At this point, as dd is around more people, she's more likely to get sick, and I feel it *is* important for her to know who her pediatrician is when she's not feeling absolutely miserable.

OTOH, if I didn't have a good ped., I'd be a lot more reluctant to take her in (and the baby). Check around - none of them have to know you picked 'no one' as the baby's ped. if that's the route you go with, and you might find someone excellent. (Of course, I like having a specific ped.'s name to give people when we have to take G in to the immediate care clinic, which we've had to do thrice now. she seems to like to get sick on Saturday evenings! Having a drs name, they're much less 'suspicious' of dd not having all her vaccinations.)

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#148 of 163 Old 09-21-2004, 01:46 PM

I think that I'm going to switch the whole family to a family practitioner. The well baby visits were nice at first, cause I was so nervous. But they really don't give you a lot of info you can't get here or through more experieinced mamas and if you're delaying vax (didn't with dd will with new bean), there's really no reason to go every 2-3 months. I skipped our last 2 'cause I didn't see any reason...

the family practitioner is nice 'cause I seem to get sick when dd gets sick and that way we only have to make one dr appt. Plus I think I have found a practice that also has naturopaths...which would a nice alternative to "uh we don't know...let's give the baby anitbiotics" which I've refuse a couple of times now...

ETA: I think I'm going to wait unitl the baby's 2 months to take to a dr. I won't go back to work (if I do at all) until after that and I'll have dd stay home with me so we should be fairly safe from nasty winter colds/germs.
#149 of 163 Old 09-21-2004, 11:20 PM

I'm Jenn, in Virginia Beach, with a 15 month old daughter, Kayleigh, who is still nursing. I am choosing homebirth for my child. S/he deserves to be born into the safest, sweetest, enviroment possible. That would be the comfort of our home.

I'm "due" May 15th, and hope to have my husband here to catch the baby. He's in the Navy & scheduled to be out to sea, but we're hoping he can be left back & have the experience of a lifetime with the rest of our family.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#150 of 163 Old 09-23-2004, 03:54 PM

Hey,there!
We are planning a homebirth for this baby(our 5th),due towards the end of March. We're leaning toward unassisted but have not decided definitely at this point. We do have a midwife all picked out,though...just in case. We have known her for years and she lives less than a mile away,which is a nice bonus.

Thought I would pop in and say hi here I am sure I will be needing support in the upcoming months,since I am surrounded by lots of people who think homebirthing is crazy and say things like "Why can't you do anything NORMAL!?".

Sheesh...I thought I was!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page