Homebirthing Moms 2005 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ha ha! Good for you, Rebecca, for shaking up some peoples' views.

Today I went to my regular doctor, the Primary Care Provider, on my insurance. I need a referral from her to get my chiropractor visits covered in-network. I wasn't sure how she would feel about that request; I picked her randomly out of the book five years ago. Turns out she was great! She was not surprised or displeased to hear we're planning home birth. She said that some problems can be fixed by naturopaths or chiropractors that doctors can't help with. She was happy to help with the referral. Hurray! I will be sure to recommend her to people choosing a PCP in the future.

And the best part... at pastry shop/bakery next door, I ordered a salmon spinach salad for lunch (very healthy) and they gave me a pastry with strawberry filling dipped in chocolate! MMMMMMMMMMMMM that's the highlight of the day right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
EDD May 21st...had a wonderful hospital Bradley birth with DS so if I can convince DH, would love a hombirth...found an extraordinary CNM.

Now am going back to re read this whole thread!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 AM

Hi, I'm new to the site and thankful to have found it!
I love the subject of this thread, great idea and congratulations to all of the first time homebirthers...you're gonna love it!!
I'm Erin, live in Buffalo NY have 3 1/2 yr old DD. I chose HB immediatley upon news of unplanned/welcomed 1st preg. I felt basiclly like I was along for the ride and that my body knew exactly what to do, I simply needed to listen to it. I seriously wanted an unassisted birth but my DH was uncomf. I respected that and found an amazing male (I was surprised) MW at 7 mo.
There's something about being preg that does me right! I felt so confident during that time thank goodness because every single family member tried to talk us out of it! all of it, the HB, cosleep, no vax.
We've been condition to think that we cannot do this w/o medical interven. and/or have lost faith in our bodies abilities to labor and birth naturally....
glad to see we're all working to change that!
nice to meet you all... let our adventure contnue!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Erin! You wanted UC for your first? wow. I'm not that brave. And a male midwife, cool! So they do exist. Was he as hands-off as you wanted?
Are you still cosleeping with Klara? I want to cosleep but I don't want the babies in the middle. I want to snuggle with my hubby. That is a dilemma, once they're too big for a cosleeper.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:35 PM

jessitron, I coslept with my dd in an Arm's Reach cosleeper. It was great for us. I could put her to sleep, stay up with dh if I wanted, cuddle up to him, and when dd woke up bring her right in with us. With the cosleeper, I can keep her on the side with the sleeper if I don't want to bring her in the middle. In the beginning, I had to nurse both sides, as it was I woke up drenched in breast milk! But that's my recommendation to maybe meet both needs.

fireflies~for~me, glad to see you here! Love to hear from other mountain mamas!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM

With our older two we shoved our bed against the wall and rolled up a blanket to cover the edge so baby could sleep on the side and I could still snuggle with my hubby.

With the two on the way we are taking the side off the crib and put it between the bed and the wall and put a blanket over the crib to the bed so there's no gap.

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:36 PM

Hey there,

Just found this thread! I'm Shannon in southern Oregon. When we interviewed our midwife she asked us why we chose a homebirth. We answered that it just seemed right immediately, we didn't even consider a hospital really. I guess we would have if any high risks were becoming apparent. But most our friends have had homebirths, and we don't generally go for the medical model for most things, so it seemed a natural choice. Now that we've read more, the scariest thing about birthing to me seems the potentential for interventions in a hospital. I'm excited to birth naturally!

We interviewed just 2 midwives and the choice was pretty clear. We had really great feedback from a number of people. One friend said she wanted her just in case, and she was fine waiting in the other room and just letting my friend have a UC. I thought that was a pretty good sign of someone that trusts a woman to birth, and being flexible for what they want. I think being my first I'll want some assistance myself though! We've met with her twice, third time this Thursday and she is great, very good about educating and offering options without too many opinions. She is a good nutritionist and herabalist and offers a birth/newborn care class to all her clients too.

Oregon is pretty good about homebirth, totally legal. I think insurance covers many midwives, but since we got bottom of the line insurance on our own (not through work), it won't cover it. Seems a lot cheaper than some of you have mentioned though, $2400.

We're also going non-interventionist as far as testing too. So no US, doppler, or anything. I haven't felt I've missed out on anything, but I am getting excited that at 18 weeks, we may get hear the heartbeat and feel movement soon. And my belly is starting to grow a bit finally!

I kind of read many of your posts, it was a lot to catch up on. But I'll stay posted from now on!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:43 PM

I can't remember if I introduced myself here yet or not. I'm Wendy. I have 4 beautiful, hospital born children. They are 12, 9, 6, and my 15 month old (born at 31.5 weeks because of what appeared to be a large fibroid, but we aren't totally sure). I am due in May with baby #5 and we are looking forward to a comfortable homebirth with a great midwife that I've found in the area. I originally wanted a UC but after my last pregnancy and birth my dh is very scared of that so we compromised. This pregnancy has been very nice and uneventful...so much so that I started worrying that I wasn't actually pregnant, lol.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Wendy and MamaSpruce!

Homebirth Mothers of the World... Unite!

Wendy, what changed this time to make you want a home birth?

MamaSpruce, most of your friends have had homebirth? Wow. Is it that common up in Oregon? It is quite rare here.

Yesterday my aunts brought my grandmother's dining room table to our house. It is beautiful in our dining room. It's like the room was made for it, and the same with the living room for her piano. I love having her furniture in our lives - it reminds me that she is with us even though she is gone. And now we can seat six very comfortably. Time for a dinner party!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM

I was 15 and 18 when I had my first 2 and didn't realize I could have a homebirth. When I was pregnant with my 3rd I knew that I could but my insurance wouldn't cover it. When I was pregnant with my 4th I'd had a midwife and considered a homebirth but then I bled throughout the entire pregnancy and couldn't ever figure out what was going on, and he was then born 8 weeks early, so homebirth was out of the question. This time around we are paying the midwife out of pocket and I am having a great pregnancy so far

I'm from Oregon, just recently moved to CA and homebirth is fairly common there.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:37 PM

I just had to vent about my experience at the hospital lab today in my new town.
At my last mw appt, she told me I should make an appt at the OBS clinic (I haven't been to the clinic yet, as we just moved, and the only thing she uses them for is routine tests and emergencies, etc.) she works with and get my Hemoglobin and Antibodies checked. So I called them last week, but the earliest appt I could get was Nov 2, so they sent a requisition to the hospital, as the bloodwork is *supposed* to be done before 28 weeks, which is today. So I went in. The req. had all kinds of other test on it, including a urinalysis, Rh test (these have already been done), and the GD screen, which I am not doing. The lab worker said she had to do exactly what was on the form, so I ended up leaving, wasting about 45 minutes of my day. So now I get to go to my appt next week, in a semi-confrontational mood.
To be fair, this clinic has never seen me, so they probably just figured I needed all these other tests, too. I just wish they'd stuck with what I asked for: Hemoglobin and Antibodies. Grrrr. I wish we were doing an UC. I like my mw, but I still feel drawn to UC. Maybe a big snowstorm will come and she won't be able to make it...
(The little voice in my head is whispering "Be careful what you wish for!")
Old 10-25-2004, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ew, what a pain! Now will you just go to the clinic, since you're past the 28 weeks anyway?

Tests suck.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I'll just go to my appt and explain there was some confusion. I'm sure that testing my hgb and antibodies at 29 or 30 weeks doesn't matter. Dh was proud of me, I think, for standing up to the 'medical community' (or something like that)

User Tag List