Considering Homebirth? Think Hard.... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 159 Old 09-30-2004, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe you mean breech?

My ds was born at home, face up in the water after 6 mintues of pushing. Why was that dangerous?
#122 of 159 Old 09-30-2004, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland
None of the midwives I know have ever had a problem with face up babies. It's really no big deal.
Face up (Posterior) is not dangerous, it just some times makes for a longer labor and can give you back labor. Usually doulas and midwives will try to encourage the baby to turn face down but if not, all is well. Nothing dangerous about it.

If you do mean Breech (bottom or feet first), they can still be delivered at home as well. Is that what you meant? That's really neat if you had a vaginal breech deliver in the hospital. It's very uncommon nowadays.
#123 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 02:32 AM

Awwww gee shucks...
#124 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 02:45 AM

They told me in the hospital that it could be dangerous for the baby due to long labour can give more stress to the baby.

Mother of three little muslims!
#125 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 02:49 AM

And by the way, my son was a breech, but i gave birth to him normally, in hospital, without any intervention, other than when i got the epidural, water broke imediately and birth started. So epi did not even work. They told me to do a c-sect, but i said no, so they said fine, we will get you through this. No problem. Atleast here in hospitals they listen to the mother, cuz like they say, "mamma knows best"... If i should give birth at home, i dont think they would let me cuz i live far from hospital just in case something happens, unless i have a doctor stading by near here. Homebirths are only 5% over here i think, i read that somewhere just now.

#126 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 02:56 AM

It's completely normal for labor to be long. The lengths of both of my labors were measured in days rather than hours, and neither of my babies was in danger and they were both born fine, with 9/10 and 10/10 Apgars.

Hospitals are well known for their misinformation and scare tactics.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#127 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 AM

My dd was born after 17 hours of labour, and she was not fine, she had 3/10 apgar, but 8/10 after 5 min. My son was born after 3 hours of labour, breech, and had 8/10 and later 10/10. All kids are different. Why risk something?

#128 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 03:11 AM

Like I said before, why risk a hospital? Their outcomes are much worse.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#129 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 03:24 AM

Maybe in the US. But dont judge the rest of the world untill you tried it.

Here in hospitals, they almost always (depends the size ofcourse!) have a "soft unit", where athmosphere is like home, all midwifes are more or less negative to medication, they will let you have unmedicated births etc without problems. They rather give you injections of sterile water in your back, than giving any other meds. Its nice, comfy, bath-tubs in each room etc. No "hospital-like" birthing beds, you can choose your own position. The bad thing for me, with tokophobia, is that they dont offer medicine. I want a combination. Home-like athmosphere, midwifes who does not nag, but i still want epidural, because i have tokophobia.

#130 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 03:40 AM

Well, it sounds like they spread the same myths about long labors being dangerous, so maybe they're not so different. Hospitals here have labor & delivery rooms that look "home-like" too, but that's all just window dressing.

#131 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabbe
they will let you have unmedicated births They rather give you
sounds like they like to take control over birth too.

I think that you much like the OP are barking up the wrong tree here. My midwives had a 3% c-section rate. Can you beat that? My midwives didn't "let me" or "give me" anything. I birthed and they guarded.

Until you can come here with studies that back up your "why take a chance" attitude, please don't assume that you will be teaching us anything. I know where safe birthing lives, and it is in our homes.

P.S. why get an epidural and take that chance? Now there is an intervention with LOADS of evidence to show how dangerous it is.
#132 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 AM

Here, the percentage of c-sects are 6% in the whole country.

My two other kids survived epidurals just fine. I have serious tokophobia. I cant give birth without it i think. I am scared. Its a phobia like any other phobias.

The "soft unit" at the hospital here is calm. They let you do what you want, they never take charge. I have never given birth there though, because i need medication, but this time, i vary between wanting to try, and not wanting to try. I dont know. Part of me say that its better with a nonmedicated birth, parts of me say that i just can not do it, because i am too scared, and that can stress my child and prolong labour.

#133 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 04:45 AM

I am sorry for your phobia, but a lot of people are afraid of doctors, needles, hospitals, ect. I don't feel that you are giving people the respect that they deserve. Get the epidural if you want, but realize that in a lot of ways it is very risky. So why are you judging women that do something that you feel (with no evidence) is risky?

Do they really let you do anything you want? No IV? No monitoring? No testing? No vaginal exams? eating and drinking in labor? Would they let you catch your own baby? Deliver in water? Have a posterior baby without telling you lies about it? do they let you take home your placenta?

Do they "let you" or are you in control?

I don't have a pain phobia. I can't imagine how that must feel. Is it just birth pain or any pain? I am glad that you have no bad effects of the epidural yet. But as someone around here has as their signature line, "the plural of data is not acedotal"
#134 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 04:47 AM

Quote:
... If i should give birth at home, i dont think they would let me cuz i live far from hospital just in case something happens, unless i have a doctor stading by near here.
You can give birth at home in Norway no matter where you live in proximity to a hospital (some of the homebirths in Norway are planned that way so that the Mother does not have to make the long trip to the hospital).

I had a VBAC homebirth right here in Norway, no problem. Sure the labor was long, but it was a wonderful long labour!!
My ds was healthy and peaceful, the Midwife did not do apgar (or anything else for that matter).
#135 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 05:08 AM

Nabbe, I'm beginning to wonder why you are in the homebirth forum? I'm also wondering if you have been reading any of the information and statistics that we've given on this thread?
#136 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 05:09 AM

Do they really let you do anything you want? No IV? No monitoring? No testing? No vaginal exams? eating and drinking in labor? Would they let you catch your own baby? Deliver in water? Have a posterior baby without telling you lies about it? do they let you take home your placenta?

You dont get IV unless medically neccesary. You dont get vaginal exams unless they feel its neccesary. But even at homebirths most midwifes check the dialation atleast from time to time. You can eat and drink, unless there is a fear of complication wich might lead to c-sect. With my dd i could not eat, but with my son i could eat if i wanted to, but i did not want it. You can catch it, daddy can catch it, who ever wants to, in the Soft units only, not in the regular ward, i think. I dont know, i did not wanna do that myself, i was shaking too much. The water delivery thing here is another issue, but if you rent the pool yourself, yes, you can deliver in water, ofcourse. Even in the regular ward you can do that. I had a posterior baby and did not feel lied to. Everything i read conclude that it can be dangerous for the baby. And yes, your placenta is yours. Even if you wanna eat it, they could not care less.

#137 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
Nabbe, I'm beginning to wonder why you are in the homebirth forum? I'm also wondering if you have been reading any of the information and statistics that we've given on this thread?
I am interessting in all aspects of births. By all means, those who want homebirths and are comfortable with it, be my guest. I have fear of birth so i dont know if i ever can do that. Besides, where i live now, with my noise level during birth, i dont think its so smart. Dont wanna scare the pregnant lady uppstairs lol.

All this reading maybe is my way of dealing with my phobia in many ways. Maybe one day i can be able to do a hb. If i ever will have other babies.

#138 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 05:55 AM

Nabbe,
I think it is great that you want to overcome your fears. I do not believe your fears are rooted in "homebirth vs. hospital birth". What the other posters are trying to say is, this is a homebirth forum, yes it is for those interested in learning more about homebirth also. But, I think it is disrespectful to the Mamas here commited to HB to post all your conceived "dangers", and then finishing off by saying "by all means, do as you like". You might want to reconsider why you are replying to this thread!???
There are other forums to grow as a person and overcome fears. You might get better feedback in Personal Growth.
I liken you posts here, to posting the dangers of not having meat in you diet on a vegetarian forum. What is the point of that???
There is lots of room for different opinions here on MDC but do check where you are posting and even more important WHY??
I realize the Norwegain boards are "boring", but this is not a place to come for entertainment. Don't get me wrong, you can have lots of fun here, if you are respectful of the members.
#139 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 06:08 AM

I simply said its not for everyone to do that. And its true, its not everyone who can handle it. I dont like the way people diss hospitals as if they were something very bad and something we must avoid, when sometimes we might need them to save our babies.

#140 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 06:50 AM

If it feels like we are "dissing" hospital birth it is because you are in a HOMEBIRTH forum.
If someone was "dissing" hospitals in a forum for hospital birth then I see how you might feel a need to post your feelings, however when you post as you do here, it feels more like Trolling. Trust me, these women are very well informed and would never risk anyones life by avoiding the hospital no matter what. If you need to go to the hospital, you transfer from your home to the hospital. 95 percent of all woman do not need to go to the hospital, these are not opinions, these are facts. We are NOT saying that the small percentage of women who need to deliver at hospitals should not go.
Does this make more sense?
Have you ever read Mothering Magazine? I would recomend getting a copy or subscribing to it. I would be more than happy to mail you an old copy to check it out. I am always glad to spread the word
#141 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 07:15 AM

Well. Okay. I just thought to say that not all hospitals are the same. You live in Norway, you know that docs here dont overrule, like it seems they are doing in the USA. I am surprised to read about how docs do like they want. But same time, i dont think docs do that to save themselves, they do it to save the most important person here, the baby.

I rather read the norwegian "Gravid" magazine. Specially since i will be in it myself next month or december, dont know when hehe... But its always nice to know other aspects of life, and birth for that matter. I am a muslim, and some of the sisters i know here do actually give birth at home, of religious reasons (not that i agree with the religious reasons, but we all have our oppinion).

It is not comon here with home births, you know that. I dont live in a place where i could concider it anyway though, so for me it does not matter.

#142 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=Nabbe]. I am surprised to read about how docs do like they want. But same time, i dont think docs do that to save themselves, they do it to save the most important person here, the baby.
QUOTE]
This is perhaps where the misunderstanding has occured.
No, US doctors are not trying to save the most important person here, the baby! This is why the US has one of the highest infant mortality rates of any westernized country!
I gave birth in a US hospital, my baby was hurt, I was hurt, all in the name of "hospital routine". When I asked the doctor at my 6 week check up why they did these things to me, she said point blank " it was a very busy night, I had 11 other deliveries and I don't remember you!". I then told her about how she had delivered my baby, and she just said "yes, I am sorry, I was busy, and by the way is your baby sleeping through the night yet?" I know it sounds insane, but these were her words and it happends all the time.

I disagree with you on the Norwegian doctors and midwife, they have procedures they have to follow that have nothing to do with you and your baby, and may not be the best for you.

Mothering is not pregnancy magazine, you should check it out
#143 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 10:15 AM

Nabbe- MDC is a rather large community now and it's harder to just jump in than it was when I joined two years ago. I noticed a lot of your posts have this tone, perhaps it is because you are from another country and it's just your manner of speaking? Maybe I have PMS.

Your tone on some of the pregnancy threads you have posted on have sounded anti-homebirth so I'm rather surprised you are here.

Perhaps until you have informed yourself with some INFORMATION and RESEARCH you could post. Until then, IMO it is better to lurk, read and learn.

I know I certainly would never go to a Formula Feeding board on another community and start advising them on how to do it because I have never fed my children that way.
#144 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 10:21 AM

I think that Nabbe is trying to discuss why SHE fears giving birth at home... she fears that it is dangerous because the hospitals where she lives do not have potentially dangerous routines to follow to save their own butts. So she figures she doesn't really have a need to avoid the hospital in the first place. Right?

Nabbe - a huge reason ppl choose to home birth is because midwives (generally) don't intervene unless absolutely necessary. At home, the risks of unnecessary intervention are much greater because it can lead to a cascade of interventions and problems that would've otherwise been avoided. A lot of times, hospital midwives and docs use medical intervention because it's there and readily available, and they have all the tools at their disposal if something goes wrong. That right there "ups the ante" and introduces danger that would have been avoided at home.

Also, our primal brains sometimes refuse to let our bodies open up in a strange environment. While our logical brain says "Okay, time to give birth!" our primal brain is programmed to keep our babies safe by shutting down until we're left alone. It's common for women's labors to stall or stop in a strange place, and they wind up with a host of potentially dangerous interventions that could have been avoided in the first place.

So even if I could find a hospital as open-minded as yours, I know that being in a strange place to give birth holds the potential to complicate an otherwise normal labor. It's not a risk I would take
#145 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 02:04 PM

BUT, this is a homebirth forum. It is for homebirth. Mothering is PRO homebirth. I wish that you would read your posts and see how many times you are "being allowed" to do something or they are deciding to "let you" do something/have something--something that is your right. My homebirth midwives didn't allow me to do anything. I birthed.

I think that the big difference is that what the medical community views as medically necessary interventions are being used when there is no actual medical need. Telling you that a posterior birth is more dangerous is A LIE. If you didn't have an epidural and were not confined to bed, posterior births are not any more likely to have problems than any other birth. If was the INTERVENTION that was dangerous. Modern Obstetrics is NOT evidence based medicine. IT is a power trip on the part of doctors that enjoy running around "saving women and babies". The true heros in birth are the midwives that are sitting back like they have for millions of years and being the guards of birth. Keeping watch as women birth babies, doing what we know how to do at a cellular level.

Here in America, our c-section rate is 25%. That's right, 25% of American women are deemed to be unable to give birth vaginal to a baby. One out of every four women giving birth undergos SURGURY. This doesn't even take into account all of the epidurals, vaginal cuts, surgical births (i.e. forceps), IVs, restricted eating and drinking, restricted movement, and other crap that happens in the hospital. I think that we have very good reasons to avoid the hospital and the birth machine that is threatening not only the birthing family, but society as a whole (just think of the money that could be saved by normal birth, think of the lost bonding, the damage to the breastfeeding relationship, the trauma to the baby).

Victorian
#146 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You dont get vaginal exams unless they feel its neccesary.
I don't know about there, but here they *always* feel it's necessary.
Quote:
But even at homebirths most midwifes check the dialation atleast from time to time.
At homebirths, most midwives *honor the mother's wishes.* My midwives didn't do any dialation checks during my first birth, and they only did one during my second and it was because I specifically requested it.
Quote:
You can eat and drink, unless there is a fear of complication wich might lead to c-sect.
Here, there is *always* fear of complication which might lead to c-sect.

Quote:
Besides, where i live now, with my noise level during birth, i dont think its so smart. Dont wanna scare the pregnant lady uppstairs lol.
There is an apartment right under ours and another one right next to ours, and we have thin walls. I thought I was making quite a bit of noise during labor, but no one heard a thing.

Quote:
I dont like the way people diss hospitals as if they were something very bad and something we must avoid, when sometimes we might need them to save our babies.
You told me not to criticize non-US hospitals until I've tried them. Now I will suggest to you that you not criticize the way we diss hospitals until you've tried giving birth in a US hospital. I know enough about hospital maternity wards (in the US anyway, and I suspect elsewhere) to know that they ARE something very bad and they ARE something to be avoided except in the rare instances when we DO need them to save the mother or the baby.

#147 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I dont like the way people diss hospitals as if they were something very bad and something we must avoid
In the US, medical mistakes are the 4th leading cause of death. If that's not a reason to avoid hospitals, I don't know what is!!!! I can't imagine going to a hospital for *any* non-emergency, including birth.
#148 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 05:06 PM

Why is this thread here?
#149 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 PM

Just to take this even further T

I am glad to hear Norwegian maternity wards are evidently better than they were 30 years ago, when my little sister was born in one (1975, at the University Hospital in Oslo). She was born close to Easter, and because my mom's OB was going on vacation, she insisted on inducing my mom. Moreover, the nurses had never *heard* of Lamaze breathing and refused to allow my mom to use it, even though she had successfully birthed my middle sister drug-free with Lamaze. The nurses and OB threatened to knock my mom out with drugs if she used Lamaze breathing "because she might have hurt the baby." double And she got yet another huge episiotomy, and delivered in lithotomy position (on her back). triple

Sounds like Norwegian hospitals, at least, have come a long way since then.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#150 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 08:04 PM

"You dont get IV unless medically neccesary. You dont get vaginal exams unless they feel its neccesary. You can eat and drink, unless there is a fear of complication wich might lead to c-sect. With my dd i could not eat... You can catch it, daddy can catch it, who ever wants to, in the Soft units only, not in the regular ward, i think. I dont know, i did not wanna do that myself, i was shaking too much. The water delivery thing here is another issue, but if you rent the pool yourself, yes, you can deliver in water, ofcourse. Even in the regular ward you can do that. I had a posterior baby and did not feel lied to. Everything i read conclude that it can be dangerous for the baby. "

This sounds absolutely no different or better than standard US hospital treatment of birth. "Unless they feel it is necessary" and they always feel it is necessary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page