Considering Homebirth? Think Hard.... - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 159 Old 10-01-2004, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sohj, I have no idea either. I would like to take this moment to point out my DDDDC though.

Nabbe, please click the link in my sig to find out what MDC is all about.
#152 of 159 Old 10-02-2004, 06:59 AM

This sounds absolutely no different or better than standard US hospital treatment of birth. "Unless they feel it is necessary" and they always feel it is necessary.

I did not have any of those things mentioned if it was not for my epidural. IV is not neccesary for a normal birth. I never heard of anyone having IV withouth that it was for medication, its not neccesary.

Mother of three little muslims!
#153 of 159 Old 10-02-2004, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabbe
But same time, i dont think docs do that to save themselves, they do it to save the most important person here, the baby.
Then why was I induced, AROM, given pitocin, mag sulfate, demerol, cytotec, and an epidural when I did NOT have pre-eclampsia?? When the nurse on the birth video after my son was born said "Oh, she probably didn't even have pre-eclampsia anyways" (they based my status of pre-elampsia by slightly elevated BP, still within normal ranges and protein in my pee sample when I had a ton of BLOOD SHOW, hence *protein*). All of those drugs, all of those dangers to myself and my child for the good of my child? No. Because they were too damn lazy to cath me to get a clean urine sample.

Yes hospitals have their places. Yes, it is a valid place to birth if you CHOOSE to. But its not just a place to go because its "less risky". Its not. Had my homebirth midwives (more like MEDwives ) stuck up for me and told me that I didn't have pre-eclampsia instead of just sending me off to my doom (or at least questioned me thouroughly enough to figure things out), I wouldn't have had all those drugs running around in my and my child's body. I would have produced enough milk for my son. I would not have had to supplement him with formula.

No its not all for the good of the child. Its for convience. Its because they are rushed. Its because they don't see all these things as dangerous or a big deal. Its because they want to bill as much as they can.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#154 of 159 Old 10-02-2004, 12:10 PM

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
Sohj, I have no idea either. I would like to take this moment to point out my DDDDC though.

Ya know, last night AdrianneWe and I were talking about this place so much to a friend of mine (who doesn't have children, isn't even thinking of it right now), that she said she's got to check this place out. We suggested "Troll" as a user name, or "Trollster" or "Trollerific".
#155 of 159 Old 10-02-2004, 01:20 PM

:LOL You know, I am so jealous that you and Adrianne get to chat it up IRL.

Love the sig Sohj!
#156 of 159 Old 10-02-2004, 02:01 PM

WOOHOO StarMama - just saw that Orion is one and you are still nursing! We are too. SOOOO WONDERFUL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMama
Then why was I induced, AROM, given pitocin, mag sulfate, demerol, cytotec, and an epidural when I did NOT have pre-eclampsia?? When the nurse on the birth video after my son was born said "Oh, she probably didn't even have pre-eclampsia anyways" (they based my status of pre-elampsia by slightly elevated BP, still within normal ranges and protein in my pee sample when I had a ton of BLOOD SHOW, hence *protein*). All of those drugs, all of those dangers to myself and my child for the good of my child? No. Because they were too damn lazy to cath me to get a clean urine sample.

Yes hospitals have their places. Yes, it is a valid place to birth if you CHOOSE to. But its not just a place to go because its "less risky". Its not. Had my homebirth midwives (more like MEDwives ) stuck up for me and told me that I didn't have pre-eclampsia instead of just sending me off to my doom (or at least questioned me thouroughly enough to figure things out), I wouldn't have had all those drugs running around in my and my child's body. I would have produced enough milk for my son. I would not have had to supplement him with formula.

No its not all for the good of the child. Its for convience. Its because they are rushed. Its because they don't see all these things as dangerous or a big deal. Its because they want to bill as much as they can.
#157 of 159 Old 10-02-2004, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah Victorian!! I always mean to come post at the low supply tribe thread, but its so intimidating to read through all the old posts when its soooooooooo long!

Congrats to you! I see in your siggy your a student IBCLC, was the intrest perked by your problems? I've been pondering becoming an IBCLC as well, but it would be a LONG process if I did...

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#158 of 159 Old 10-03-2004, 06:16 PM

IMHO The things that the orginal poster here doesn't understand are: Trust and Knowledge in Birth.

I've been at both ends of the birth service- hospital and home. The difference was that as I got more informed, I learned to trust the normality of the process of pregnancy and birth. I found I trusted the honesty, knowledge, skills and intentions of my midwife more than those from my prior hospital experience (which was pretty normal). I never felt at risk of unnecessary interventions, nor did I need to worry that my midwife would not have my best interests at heart- even in the face of unforseen complications.

As I became more informed, I also came to understand that although most births will have really great outcomes, sometimes there are difficult outcomes. Birth trauma happens, but it is more likely to happen with instrumental birth. And the fact is, no amount of interventions have reduced the incidence of cerebral palsy- which is one of the more "common" and questioned birth concerns. Also, sometimes babies die, it is a very sad truth. Statistics show that midwives have much lower rates of infant mortality- this plays out world-wide.

We didn't sue our doctor when my unnecessary episiotomy extended ripped through my anal sphincter and left me with huge incontinence issues... We didn't sue when our baby had a significant adverse reaction to their vaccination... We didn't sue when our doctor botched our son's circumcision (which may affect his sexual comfort later)... We didn't sue any of times our family has been misdiagnosed... see, we chose the care and the caregiver, and sueing doesn't change the outcome, and we elected to get on with our lives. If my baby died at birth or was born with significant life challenges, as long as I trusted my care provider, I would be devasted, disappointed, and demoralized, but in the end we would get on with our lives.

The choices our family makes are not the choices others would make, and we respect that. We didn't start out where we are at either, and there are many circumstances in life which shape who we become along the way... so nobody will have the same experiences, advice and opinions to share along the way.

This forum has been an awesome place for homebirthers to come for support and friendship during pregnancy and birth. We share what we know, and we know that pregnancy and birth are very normal processes for the majority of healthy women...

The Lord bless you!
Zoie
Wife of 10 years, Mother of 5 Beautiful Children- Patrick 9, Stu 7, Selah 5, Yosef 3, Timothy 1 ...
Waterbirthin'/ Breastfeeding/ Cosleeping/ SlingWearing/ Non-Vaccinating/ Non-circin'/ MidwifeHugging!!!!
"Homebirth Strengthens Families"
#159 of 159 Old 10-04-2004, 03:37 PM

I missed being notified of some of these posts and then got an email today...

The OP is/was trying to incite us. Let's not also weaken things by mothers/women turning on other mothers/women. I feel that is happening in more and more threads around here - I don't often come across someone who originally came here (like this OP) to cause problems but came here looking for support. Sometimes curiosity takes us to threads we think may be informational for us but forget to appreciate the diverseness of the community when we start to respond. We are human and therefor fallible; we speak from the egocentric perspective of our experiences.

I think women forget, or in some cases don't have a role model to lead them, how much power they have - many women who do find power and strength in themselves are comfortable birthing at home and IF require hospital births can have positive ones because they are informed, educated, strong and willing to speak for themselves.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page