Homebirth a breech baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of other studies:

A study of 1,240 singleton breech infants delivered at northern California Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program hospitals between 1976 and 1977 has indicated that routine cesarean delivery of all breech fetuses is not necessary to prevent adverse morbid events in the breech infant or child. In order to qualify for the study, the infants had to have weighed at least 1,000 grams. Neurologic sequelae were considered up to four years of age. The study concluded that vaginally born breech infants were not at increased risk for asphyxia, head trauma, cerebral palsy or developmental delay. -Obstetrics and Gynecology, May 1990.

A Swedish study of 6,542 singleton fetuses born in the breech presentation was made to compare intrapartum related infant mortality in term breech presentations in terms of vaginal delivery or delivery by cesarean section. The main outcome measures were intrapartum and early neonatal deaths, stillbirths and congenital malformations, low Apgar scores, and mode of delivery. The intrapartum and early neonatal mortality rate was two per 2,248 (0.09 percent) in the group delivered vaginally and two per 4,029 (0.05 percent) in the group delivered by cesarean section. The relative risk was 1.81, thus the difference was not statistically significant. Authors of the study concluded that the intrapartum related mortality in the group delivered vaginally was low and the result could not verify an increased mortality in term breech presentations delivered vaginally compared with those delivered by cesarean section. -MIDIRS, March 1998
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Pip has turned! I'm so excited! After two acupuncture appointments, lots of moxibustion (sp?), flips and handstands in a pool, pulsatilla, and laying upside down on a slant, Pip has finally turned. I'm so excited! My midwife was pretty excited too. Last night I wasn't able to find Pip's head (a first--typically it's been rammed up inside my ribs), and was a bit confused. This morning when I wasn't able to find it again, I called Christy, and she came by this afternoon. She wasn't able to find the head either, so did an internal exam and said the head is nice and firmly planted downwards. Yea! Pip is, apparently, posterior, so I'll be working on that in the coming weeks...but I'm much less stressed out that. Thanks to everyone for your good stories and good thoughts.

Karen
Old 09-06-2004, 11:26 PM

YIPPEE!!!!!!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Banned

Go Pip!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:56 AM

oh my gosh! What a good baby you have there! I am so relieved for you!
Old 11-26-2004, 12:16 AM

My midwife gave birth to a 10 pound breech UC and says it was her easiest births. I think you should be able to try at home. your midwife will know if there are problems or distress

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
Old 11-26-2004, 01:07 AM

I am so glad to hear the Pip has turned.

Also, thank you, blueviolet, for the studies. I am of the mind that the increased complications one sees with "experienced" medical care for vaginal breech deliveries is due, in many cases, with overmanagment of the birth. Nervous docs know it is a breech delivery, and start getting crazy with the forceps, and rush things, etc. No wonder there are more complications.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:01 AM

Pip did, in fact, arrive safely, at home, head first. Good luck to all of you other mamas!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 11-27-2004, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmomgabbyleslie
the article i am talking about is the one on mixibustion i think that is what it was called.
Moxi. My accupuncturist claims excellent luck with turning breech babies.

I only had time to browse the other replies, but there is plenty of research out there that breech deliveries aren't as dangerous as they are made out to be. Unless they are in that extended neck position, which to this day I still can't figure out how they can tell a baby is in this position without ultrasound. If anyone knows please share, I've been racking my brain on the idea all week reading those sections of Obstetric Myths and Research Realities over and over at work LOL! I guess if you can palpate the spine and feel the back of the head sticking out? What if the baby is sideways or posterior? OK, I give up.

If your midwife isn't willing to take that on at home find out if anyone in the area would. If not then find out if there is a hospital in the area where they have been doing them lately (sometimes a teaching hospital is best but of course that itself carries it's own worries IMO)

You are still early yet and most likely the baby will turn, but if not take advantage of all the gentle turning techniques out there, it can't hurt to try and they have great sucess rates.

I can totally understand being worried, but read read read all that is out there. There is alot of research and stories.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:29 PM

Not sure it has been posted yet, but having a session w/ a hypnobirthing teacher/counselor is supposedly very effective for turning breech babies.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:27 AM

although i didn't read through all the posts, i wanted to add one. please bare with teh typos- nak.

my neighbor-friend - my birthing hero i hasten to add - delivered her 9lb breech VBAC baby at home with a lay midwife. now keep in mind, they didn't know the babe was even breech! Baby was head down earlier, but turned a few days pre labor. Hindsight she remembers the intense turn, but didn't give it much thought at the time. she wouldn't reccomend such to anyone though, adn admits had she known breech she'd have opted fro MD help/hospital birth BUT she got bher coveted homebirth... and anothe rbeautiful daughter.

User Tag List