UC thread #9...Sept. '04 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 201 Old 09-04-2004, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jessemomme--my mom's a RN too, fun eh?? :LOL She was sooo worried!
#32 of 201 Old 09-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Weird, my mom is an RN too...

We aren't telling her we're UCing, she'd call CPS. Or at the very least, stop talking to me and DH and go crying to every relative we have until nobody else would either. She's really good at that whole getting-people-on-her-side thing (tells whatever story it is that they'd need to hear to get them to think she's totally right and whoever else is totally wrong). It would be a mess.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#33 of 201 Old 09-06-2004, 01:18 AM

My sister is up here visiting, fleeing from Hurricane Frances for the weekend. I hadn't discussed our birth plans with her at all- she's very medically inclined, and I thought she'd have a cow. She saw my Unassisted Homebirth book on the bedside table though, and asked ever-so-casually, "So is that what you're doing? Having it by yourselves?" I said yes, and she just said "Oh." A while later I told her she was taking it a lot more calmly than I thought she would, and she just said "It's not like I'm surprised, that's totally something you would do" :LOL I guess I underestimated her! Either that, or I didn't realize just how well the Xanax is working for her.

I'm worried about my mom, though. She has been supportive and plans to be present at the birth, if possible, to help with Lula. But I just found out that she is drinking again. She had quit 13 years ago, and I thought she was done for good. I just found out that she started again at some point, I don't know when. Her health is very bad recently, and the drinking is the cause, according to her doctor. She doesn't know that I know. I'm worried about her killing herself, and I'm worried about whether she will be physically and/or mentally able to be here with me.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#34 of 201 Old 09-06-2004, 01:40 AM

Quote:
"It's not like I'm surprised, that's totally something you would do"
:LOL

i'm sorry to hear about your mom. my dad is an alcoholic and it's so hard... s
#35 of 201 Old 09-06-2004, 01:53 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing your birth stories! some of you are soon, right?
#36 of 201 Old 09-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Hi. I haven't posted since I introduced myself a couple of months back. To quickly update, I'm almost twenty weeks, I haven't had any prenatal care but my own so far, and this will be my first UC (my other two were hospital births).

I've been doing fairly well so far, but the past couple of weeks I've been feeling increasingly... I don't know exactly how to put it. Nervous, unsure, just weird. Emotionally, not physically. All of the sudden I feel like I'm flying without a net or something. At this point in my previous pregnancies I would have already had four appointments with my ob, I would have had all the tests that I don't even want this time around, I would have had an ultrasound that would have told me the sex of this baby. I believe very strongly in UC. Why am I suddenly feeling so anxious? Is it just because this time it's so different? Because this time I have only myself to rely on to know whether everything is going well or not?

Here's a little bit of background, a few things that been happening recently that may be the cause of what I'm feeling right now. I've been feeling the baby kick for quite a long time (since ten weeks!), but it's intermittent. What I mean by that is, one night I felt these huge rolling over movements in my abdomen, bigger than anything I've felt that early, three times in a row and then never since. I mean there's plenty of movement, but it's mostly small and just when I get used to the baby being active and I think, "Okay, now I'll not have any big gaps between movement," and then I'll feel nothing for the rest of the day and night and then I start feeling antsy, which I know is ridiculous because it's still pretty early and the baby is still pretty small and I'm not going to feel big rolling over movements like I felt before regularly for a little while yet. But I still think about it and worry.

Also, I haven't really told my family about my plans, except for my mom and I told her that I was still considering seeing a midwife once or twice during the pregnancy to kind of mollify her (and it's true--I am considering it). The other day my aunt asked me in an email if I had a midwife yet and I still haven't gotten around to answering her email and another aunt today IM'ed me to ask me if I wanted to come down and have her do an ultrasound (she is a NICU nurse and she did this for me for my last pregnancy). I told her that I wasn't planning on doing any ultrasounds this time, but that I would let her know if I changed my mind and she asked me if I was seeing a doctor. I said the same thing that I had said to my mother (considering later), but that everything was going fine so far. She just said that was good and she would talk to me later and let her know about the U/S. That's not a bad reaction, right? So why did I start worrying about what she may have been thinking but not saying? Why did I start thinking about my whole extended family (which is quite large) sitting around talking about how crazy I am and how they can't believe I'm not seeing a doctor? Why do I even care, especially if no one is saying anything negative to my face or (and this is much more likely) they don't even really know what's going on anyway?

Sometimes I feel so strange and like it's very stressful to do the non-mainstream thing. There are times that I consider just putting my older daughter in school instead of unschooling her. Wouldn't it be easier if I just went with the flow? I don't consider it seriously, but god, sometimes I wish I was in the majority. With this, sometimes I just feel like running to the nearest OB and doing it like everybody else, doing the same way I did it with my daughters. But I know it wouldn't be easier because even though I would no longer be going agains the flow, I would be going against myself. And that's much worse, I think.

I don't really know what's going on with me, I'm worried about whether or not I even have any intuition, I'm worried about what other people think, I'm worried about not having a window into my uterus to see that everything is copacetic. I do feel a little bit better at having written all of this down and maybe some of you can offer me some suggestions on how to calm my nervous-Nellie self down a bit. I'm going to go now and order a fetoscope. I was debating whether or not to even get one, but I think now that it will really make me feel better, even if I have to wait a few more weeks to hear the heartbeat. I know I've read somewhere when it's possible to hear it, but I forget, can you hear it at 20 weeks? Maybe 21 or 22, which is probably when it will get here.

Okay, thanks for reading. Even though I never post, I always read this thread and I am very grateful to have it here. It's been extremely helpful. Also, I apologize for any unreadability. I'm a little bit emotional right now and it's affecting my writing.
#37 of 201 Old 09-06-2004, 08:15 PM

Sighhh was just about to post and Kieran woke up Liam.

I've been spending more time afk, but it worked I got the swelling all the way down. I literally didnt' do a thing all weekend, just let the kids go nuts, kept my feet up, and sewed some mama pads.

Ok Liam is happy and ran off to play.

Dandylion - I don't know how many other people have felt the way you do, but I know I wasn't alone when I felt similarly, like I was sailing off a cliff that I didn't see the edge of and the bottom wasn't in sight. It's truly uncharted territory, especially emotional territory. Who do we know, IRL, who has walked the same path, held even similar beliefs about birth in general...we're overcoming all of that subconcious junk that filled our heads about birth since our brains were little growing sponges, we are now living that paradigm shift we went through. Walking the walk, birthing THE birth that is in our hearts.

And to stand up for yourself while doing it can be stressful so that never helps. I was a regular lilly liver until I started my first UP. As time wore on, I got a lot better.

I worried I didnt' have intuition, or that it would fail me somehow too. I'd calm myself down telling myself I was perfectly capable to birth (two hosp vag births, as screwed up as they were, helped) on my own, that I'd be listening to my body the same way I had before only there would be NO distractions and needles and orders...It's like knowing your going come down with a cold, or you'll be getting AF in a day or so, you just will, know. I hope that made sense lol.

This has been my most 'mellow' baby so far (my fourth), I swear I go all day a not feel a thing, then sit down to pay attention and well he/she must be sleeping or something go figure! Even the kicks and jabs felt muffled somehow, nothing like I remembered for the first three. I never felt the somersaults the other three would do. It finally dawned on me that perhaps this time my placenta is front and center so it's plausible thats why a lot feels mellow and muffled. Something to consider.

Yeah it would be easier to go with the flow, but like you said, you'd be miserable. How worth is it is that. For me when ignorance was gone and there was nothing blissful left and I still went to the appts to make everyone leave me alone, that was one of the most agonizing, stressful time I had ever experienced.

Mamajazza, any day or week now is my favorite phrase :LOL Oh yeah, I've seen it on cbirth before, it is odd how SO MANY people who choose to learn about UC or will UC or have UC'ed have family members who have medical backgrounds, and some themselves have worked somewhere in the medical field. I myself have a mother who is a nurse, my paternal grandmother was a nurse (she was born at home, but tried talking me out of homebirthing lol), and I did a year long stint as a home health aide (which I felt comfortable with because these people were chronically ill or whathave you but they were in the comfort of their home. ); I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting about a few family members...
#38 of 201 Old 09-06-2004, 08:27 PM

Hey Stephanie! You sound totally lucid to me, don't worry

I think that what you're feeling is normal. I'm getting some of that, too, having been the good little right-on-schedule patient for my first two pregnancies. I'm 23 weeks now, BTW...and haven't seen anyone or anything. I didn't feel movement until 20 weeks so I don't think you're in trouble at all not feeling things regularly. Even now I can only really count on feeling movement once a day or so; I can also get movement by playing guitar with the guitar body resting on my belly (baby will kick while I play).

I've noticed that as far as birthing goes, people don't seem to have much in the way of inhibitions when it comes to opening their mouths and letting their brains flow right on out. So if you have opened yourself up to hearing the negative (said things in a way that allows dissent in any shape or form) and haven't heard anything negative, then it is quite likely that they aren't thinking anything too negative.

My mom called today and asked me point-blank about several things, and I had to lie. It sucked. We talked a lot after that, though, and the rest of the conversation was really cool. It seems she has a bit of a hero-worship thing going on with the doctor that delivered my sibling and me, but it isn't too horribly misplaced (we were homebirths, very low-intervention, and this dr. apparently went out to The Farm every summer to exchange information, talk about techniques, etc. with the midwives there - he told her all kinds of stories apparently, and he was involved with Ina May et al from very near the beginnings of her story). I told her I was considering using embroidery floss or similar instead of cord clamps, and she asked if there was the possibility that doing so would cut into the cord or get too loose and cause blood loss- anyone know about that? I would think it would be OK as long as I don't tie it until it stops pulsing, then it wouldn't even matter much, right? She did say she thought it would be nicer on baby (those clamps scratch sometimes, and she told me that the other day she had to re-clamp a cord because some retard had clamped some belly skin in with it - the strange thing is, this was several hours after the birth and NOBODY NOTICED and nobody could figure out why the baby was so fussy!).

OK, anyhow...Stephanie, you sound totally normal to me. I've had many similar thoughts - I think it stems from being so used to the medical way of doing all these things, and this being so far from the norm, and also from having little support IRL. I mean, for me, the only people (besides the ladies on this board) who know about my plans are myself and my DH. It leaves me, well, disconnected, and feeling like my experience is so far from everyone else's that maybe I shouldn't say anything at all. I'm guessing I'll feel just as alone until I run into another UCer at the corner store

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#39 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 12:31 AM

Stephanie,

I can relate to the feeling like you are without a net. I saw my OB twice. Once at 13 weeks to confirm pg and heard heartbeat on Doppler, then I went the lab at 17 weeks for blood draw (didn't see doc) for the AFP screen, then I saw the OB at 24 weeks when he did an u/s. And I've never been back since! I felt a little funny for about a month after the u/s like, "Oooh, am I doing the right thing?" But after that it went away and I just trusted my body. Maybe it is a little easier for me to let go since I haven't experienced having a baby at all, much less the medical/hospital way.

Now, I have to say though, that I lie to everyone except my Mom! She's the only one I can trust to tell the truth that I don't see a doc for prenatal care and that we are doing this birth alone. Everyone else gets lied to! Example: (from family members) "So, how was your last doctor visit?" Me: "Oh, fine. Everything is going great! My weight gain was X, my BP was Y, and my fundal height is Z, just a little ahead of my dates." I get the actual numbers from weighing, measuring and BPing myself. Another example: (usually from a stranger or acquaintence) "So, you're having a homebirth? Wow, do you have a midwife?" Me: "Yes, I have a midwife." These answers usually end the conversation in both cases. People don't really want details, they just want to seem interested and know if you're ok, KWIM?

I wouldn't worry about movement at all. It's so variable. Now, if something ever felt seriously, fundamentally WRONG I would seek medical attention, of course.

Good luck!
#40 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 12:55 AM

first, a quote from our Wise Woman JPB ~ Birth offers us the remembrance that each of us is the One Mother. And who is She? She was Creatrix, Source, Weaver of Life. From Her breasts streamed the Milky Way. Now she is anesthetized patient, surrounded by paid paranoids who, rather than witness the Mystery whence all life comes, MANage the medical event.

about the fear in UP / UC ~ i faced that as well. that fear kept me going back to my OB... until i did enough research to feel comfortable assessing myself, and enough meditation to realize that birth intuition really is inside all of us, as long as we listen. if you're really concerned, my first (+ foremost) suggestion would be to make a list of what is really frightening you, and then figure out how to confront those fears.

going against the grain can be, especially in our culture, a terrifying experience. it can also be a very powerfully transformative + empowering one. you can either choose to let the fear rule you... or grow past it.
#41 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 01:20 AM

I haven't told too many people my birth plans, but from time to time someone will ask, and I catch myself everso casually talking about having a UC, as if everyone does it and it's widely accepted. Usually after I "spill the beans", I have this weird thing happen where I feel like, "oh no, I just told them a juicy secret that no one is supposed to know". I'm often met with weird looks and tons of questions. Most of the time I'm offguard and feel like I'm being put on trial for my choices, and then I get all defensive and usually mention how I have have 2 successful homebirths with a midwife and this time I'm in another state and can't find a supportive midwife so I'm doing it by myself...this usually ends the conversation. Truth is, I had this UC planned before I even conceived, but I don't tell people cuz they'd think I was outright nuts...but I guess if they factor in the fact that it's either go to the hospital or do it myself, that then my choice for UC is justified. There's also a hospital 2 miles away, so I guess this eases questioner's fears.

Last weekend my aunt stopped over and was talking about my birth plans. I used to live with this woman for a few months when dc #1 was a baby, and she just about cringed at my lifestyle choices (homebirth, child-led weaning, family bed, veganism, etc.). She asks how I'm doing and if I've found a midwife. Basically I sold her the story of not being able to find a supportive homebirth midwife so I'm just gonna do it myself. This news probably threw her in a whirl, but thankfully she didn't start on me about all normal fears surrounding the act of giving birth (i.e. needing medical assistence to do it). Well anyways, just a few days ago I had a yucky nightmare about her yelling at me for my choice to UC. I had actually dreaded seeing her while I was pregnant, since I just *knew* she'd have something stupid to say. Anyway, thankfully she didn't take the conversation too far, cuz that last thing I need is extended-family-induced stress.

-------------
Like a lot of you mamas, I'm busy awaiting these last few days/weeks of pregnancy...I'm so axious to get this labor started and to finally meet this baby. Tonite I burned some sage and was busy painting my belly cast. Baby was happy right along with me cuz my belly was be-boppin' all over
#42 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 04:03 AM

Quote:
But my favorite thing to read was anything by Jeannine Parvati Baker. mostly her articles. here: www.freestone.org or www.birthkeeper.com
Ahhh...Hygeiea. (sorry if I spelled it wrong. i'll never get it right) I love that book. Prenatal yoga was one of the first books about pregnancy I ever read, and it was such a catalyst in me wanting to have natural births. I've been eyeing the Laura Shanley book, so I think I'm gonna check that one out. Thanks!
#43 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 AM

for the interested ~

i just updated my birth story ~ fixing grammatical errors / typos / etc., and also editing the colors a bit. i feel that it totally reflects the essence of the birth experience...

just wanted to share.

blessings all ~
#44 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM

Hey everyone. I wanted to thank you all for responding to me. I wanted to let you know also that I am feeling much much better today. Much more calm, much more sure of myself.

It helps to know that there are other moms out there who have and are choosing this same path. It also helps to just relax and breathe and perhaps give my panic some time to dissipate on its own. If it happens again, I don't think I'll be as receptive to any unwarranted fear or worry. Thanks again.
#45 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 PM

Dandylion, what really helped me to be sure of my choice was to allow myself to *not* make that choice. That freedom allowed me to look at the situation more clearly in the moment, without the influence of dogmatic "should's" and "shouldn't's". I think that letting go of yours' and others' expectations/demands really helps get rid of a lot of anxiety over whether something is the right choice.
#46 of 201 Old 09-07-2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I have been wondering about this for awhile..do you mamas think it's necessary to listen to fetal heart tones during a UC labor/birth? I feel like the nurse doing this at the birth center for my last birth every 15 min inhibited me greatly so want to avoid it I think. but then i also think I would like to also know how baby is doing maybe? I am torn I guess, and would like to hear about other's experiences with this.
I didn't listen to FHT during my UC labor/delivery. I felt intune enough and trusted everything enough that if something were happening I would know it. I did check for it during the pregnancy. Another reason for not checking during labor is I didn't feel comfortable being able to judge was a good heart rate during a contraction or not and did not want to worry.
#47 of 201 Old 09-08-2004, 11:26 AM

Hi everyone,
Just stopped in for a minute to say hello. I've been so busy the past few months I haven't had time for birth work (or birth play, chatter, etc.). I've just read the last few pages and wanted to say thanks for the nice comments about my book! Regarding dealing with non-supportive parents, anyone who read my book knows this was a major issue for me. Much more difficult actually than the births themselves. But I stood my ground and didn't give into their fears. It's really an ongoing process, even after all these years.

Here's something that happened the other day that totally surprised me. My kids are now 26, 24, almost 22, and 17. For the most part they've been very healthy, so we haven't had to deal with the whole doctor dilemma (parents encouraging me to take them to docs, me not wanting to do it). But the other day my dad calls and asks if he can talk to my kids about getting vaccinated! I thought that issue had been put to rest 25 years ago! But he heard something on NPR about some epidemic and now he's scared. I told him my kids are adults and he can do what he wants. I would be very surprised if my kids gave into his fears.

Best of luck to all the preggos, and I'll try to stop in more often!
Laura
#48 of 201 Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 PM

How funny, we were just discussing on another thread that, besides the health issues for not vaccinating, that most women are not aware that a majority of vaccines are prepared from a medium made of aborted fetal tissue cell lines. A lot of Moms wrote in saying they stopped vaxing their kids when they learned this shocking piece of info.
#49 of 201 Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 PM

i haven't been around for a week or so, lots to catch up on and read! this is so great.

as for the one book to recommend, i would recommend laura shanley's. it's possible that after reading one uc book, you'll be inspired to read others. i also like the other uc books out there, but if i had to pick one, that'd be the one.

as for my friend that uc'd with placenta previa, i think she was up/uc, so didn't find out until the birth. i can try and find out more info for you (sorry, i can't remember who asked). i haven't seen her in a number of months, and now live in a different place. i hear she's kind of abandoned her family in favor of becoming a kung-fu master or something...
i do know that she smoked lots, and i mean, lots, of pot and was just reading the other day that this contributes to plac. prev. i'll ask her old neighbor who i'm closer to and who's closer to her and see what other details i can get.

klothos~ thanks for posting your birth story. amazing! you did such a good job painting the picture of it. i think you posted it a while back, but i wasn't in a place to read it, so it was good timing for me that you put up the new version of it. how's the mothering article developing? still so glad you're doing it!

blueviolet~ good luck at mana! i wish i could hear your presentation, too. i've been wanting to get back up to oregon...but won't for a while.

mamajaza, indigolilybear and other past uc'ers~i'm so glad that those of you that have btdt, esp. recently, are staying around to offer your wisdom.

as for dealing with family and the up/uc issure, it is a big one. we've talked about telling people that we're not discussing our prenatal/birthing plans since everyone has differing opinions about it and we don't want to get into it. but last night dh and i were talking about it and dh said he'd say we're not doing ultrasound, etc b/c it's not safe/accurate, etc. so he may have more energy to deal with it than i do...but i think he needs to read more on his own rather than just listening to me before he goes on up/uc activist route!

welcome to all the new mama's!
is the uc thread ever going to become a sub-forum? does anyone know how this can happen? can we chime in on the 'suggestions' thread? maybe if enough of us chime?? i don't know how this works.

as for me, there's *lots* of twin vibes around me these days. i'm growing pretty rapidly, but i know every woman has her own rhythm...dh actually asked last night how common/possible it is to have *triplets* naturally. i was like, don't even start that one! since before conception, it's been an intuitive toss-up for all of us between a girl and twins...watch it be a boy that likes to play jokes and fool people!

i'm playing with the idea of having fake midwifery plans laid with a friend who's a uc-supportive midwife 4 1/2 hrs away. so if anything hits the fan down the road, we can say we had plans to have an assisted birth, we just didn't call in time, oops. the main concern i'm having is that we live in the woods with no indoor plumbing in like 200 sq ft of a camper, limited solar power if it's sunny (usually is), little heat, don't use the allopathic medical model of care at all, and just reek of what cps loves to swarm around. i know i have fears around this and want to look at them and come to peace with them. we have plans to build a strawbale home, but definitely won't even start before the babe arrives at the end of march b/c of other projects on the land.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#50 of 201 Old 09-09-2004, 09:19 AM

Does anyone else feel kind of awed when Laura S. stops by this thread, like they're talking to a celebrity or something? I'm sure she would hate that, but I'm a dork!:LOL

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#51 of 201 Old 09-09-2004, 09:37 AM

i feel that way too.

of course, i also got all... squiggly... when Thanos from Minimalist Stick Figure Theatre stopped by my LiveJournal. :LOL (http://www.paranoiddreams.com/)
#52 of 201 Old 09-09-2004, 02:22 PM

ok , so I 'm not pregnant yet and I 'm not planning to be for a while, but I am totally sold on the idea of UP/UC. I have a question about prenatal vitamins though, do you all take them or just watch your diet to make sure you get the folic acid, calcium, etc. that you need. I have never been able to take vitamins on regular basis, so that's why I'm asking.
I want to say I just love reading the UC threads and I think all you ladies are great! tia
I loved your birth story klothos, especially with the changes you made and that picture is just beautiful!!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#53 of 201 Old 09-09-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Does anyone else feel kind of awed when Laura S. stops by this thread, like they're talking to a celebrity or something? I'm sure she would hate that, but I'm a dork!:LOL
Yup lol, same thing when she posts over on cbirth. She is a celebrity to us after all
#54 of 201 Old 09-09-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat
ok , so I 'm not pregnant yet and I 'm not planning to be for a while, but I am totally sold on the idea of UP/UC. I have a question about prenatal vitamins though, do you all take them or just watch your diet to make sure you get the folic acid, calcium, etc. that you need. I have never been able to take vitamins on regular basis, so that's why I'm asking.
I want to say I just love reading the UC threads and I think all you ladies are great! tia
I loved your birth story klothos, especially with the changes you made and that picture is just beautiful!!
With my last pg I watched my diet closely and made up my own variety of vitamins that I needed based on my diet. My main ones were Omega's, floradix for iron, calcium, B & E vitamins. I don't think i took folic acid but i was drinking a lot of OJ with my floradix so I dont think I worried too much.

This time I am taking a prenatal b/c I had so much nausea that the thought of taking all of those pills made me gag. And floradix being slightly sweet really made me gag as I had some sweet aversions earlier on.
#55 of 201 Old 09-10-2004, 01:25 AM

Evergreen - I'm actually flattered. I don't think you're a dork at all.
Laura
#56 of 201 Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 AM

I just wanted to tell all you mamas that listening to our baby's heartbeat with the fetoscope every night is one the best experiences of my life. As a future dad, it has allowed me to feel so connected to this baby. I feel that by the time the baby is born, we will already have an established relationship that is all ours. Not getting "introduced" to each other by a Dr. or a nurse.

Since men can't feel what the expecting mother feels, it is easy for us to kind of be "left out" of the experience and I think this perpetuates the notion that pregnancy and child birth are a "women thing", which spills into raising children becoming a "women thing" too. In my case, I've felt like such a big part of the process, because we both want it. I think that having the UC has "forced" (not that it was really forced at all) me to become as involved and educated as possible and I have to say that it is giving me the most awesome side benefit of really connecting me with this baby and making our little family so much more closer and stronger.

I get to play with my yet-to-be-born baby almost every day. We play "tag, you're it"! I'll be playing around with the fetoscope and the baby will find it and give it a good kick or punch. I'll move it and the baby will find it again. How many dads do you hear that get to play with their babies before they are born?! Whatever your answer is, it should be a lot more.

#57 of 201 Old 09-10-2004, 09:50 AM

my partner always loved putting his ear to my belly and listening to our little ones.

eta ~ a couple weeks before Elyssa was born, he checked my dilation (i was dilated to about 3 cm for weeks before her birth), and he was able to feel her head moving under his fingertip, inside the amniotic sac. he said that was one of the most awesome experiences of his life.
#58 of 201 Old 09-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Ony wrote: "I think that having the UC has "forced" (not that it was really forced at all) me to become as involved and educated as possible and I have to say that it is giving me the most awesome side benefit of really connecting me with this baby and making our little family so much more closer and stronger. [...] I feel that by the time the baby is born, we will already have an established relationship that is all ours. Not getting "introduced" to each other by a Dr. or a nurse.

I love that. s Thanks for writing it!
#59 of 201 Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 PM

I love what you said too. And to think that English isn't even your first language!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#60 of 201 Old 09-11-2004, 03:41 PM

firecat~for prenatal vitamins, i definitely prefer eating food over vitamins, so i eat a good variety of simple organic foods. however, i use a form of, well, i don't know what to call it--self-checking?, it's along the same lines as muscle testing, but i use my chakras (since muscles get tired of testing and chakras just keep on spinning) to check if i need the vitamins. i have rainbow light and new chapter prenatals and they seem to offer different things to my body/babe. so i check which if either/both i should take and how many. it tends to be different everyday, but never has it indicated that i needed a full dose of either. i can only guess that it's because their nutrients are so accessible to my body, being food-based and with probiotics included in them, coupled with my other intake (food, nutritive/herbal teas, etc) that i don't need a full dose? don't really know. anyway, that's what i do. hth

i too enjoyed this thread before conceiving and gained quite a bit, so i could start from the beginning, rather than trying to learn once i was pregnant.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page