UC thread #9...Sept. '04 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*~* Labor Vibes *~*

babies really do come when they are ready.

may i share the muffin analogy?

do we take muffins from the oven when the timer goes off... or when they are done?

ideally, the muffins are finished when the timer goes off... but sometimes they are done a little sooner, and sometimes a little later.

to put it another way: the little ones don't have a calendar in there with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
do we take muffins from the oven when the timer goes off... or when they are done?

ideally, the muffins are finished when the timer goes off... but sometimes they are done a little sooner, and sometimes a little later.

to put it another way: the little ones don't have a calendar in there with them.
And if the temperture is higher or lower, the muffins will be cooker sooner or later as well.
#123 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 01:53 PM

Just wanted to announce the birth of my baby girl. She was born yesterday morning, unassisted at home.
#124 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Congratulations!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#125 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 05:47 PM

Blueviolet~yay! I'm looking forward to your story and/or pics! happy birth day little grrl!
#126 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 PM

I have a question about UC and the involvement of DH/DP.

My DP panics! He panics when something is not going right. It is not a "panics attack", just part of his personality - it runs in his mother's side of the family.

We haven’t decided on a UC or not yet, but I am having more and more problems with my insurance/homebirth with midwife situation, etc.

But if we do, I am worried about him. When I go into transition and perhaps flip, or just be in a lot of pain, I am afraid he is going to insist we call a midwife or go to a hospital, because something has to be wrong!

Did this happen to you? How did you deal with something like this ahead of time and if it did happen?
#127 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 06:49 PM

Congratulations blueviolet!!!!

Hi Carla My DH has already told me that he thinks he will panic whether things go right or not. He wants to hire a midwife even if we have to do so out-of-pocket, I'm actually considering it now because having a midwife around might be approximately as inhibiting as having a semi-panicking husband around. Or I might just not call him until it is over (he already told me that he thinks he would be relieved rather than dissappointed if this happened). My DH is a worrier, he worries about everything - he is the kind of person who can be driving down the highway and everything will seem fine, but if you ask him what he's thinking about, often it will be whether the car will break down or what if the tire pops or something of that nature. It has taken me a lot of time to get used to this particular part of his personality, since I am a positive person and rarely consider such things unless it is actually practical (to keep on topic, I have, for example, read up on the most probable kinds of complications and what to do about them, but you're not going to find me sitting around worrying about them).

I don't have any specific advice for you. I know from doing this twice before that I'm very unlikely to flip out (actually, I'm unlikely to experience transition at all, at least not in the textbook sense). I did not make noise during either of my labors, nor did I ever feel out of control (well, I wasn't in full control of my body, but I was fully in control of my mind and actions), so I don't anticipate suddenly being unable to deal with myself during this labor. This is what is keeping me from flipping out about the idea of my DH, well, flipping out on me.

Oh - I heard my DH defending our birth plans with his dad on the phone yesterday . I wasn't planning on telling anyone but I guess DH wanted to tell his dad. He said his dad admitted it made sense . I told him not to say anything to his mom, though (MIL and FIL are divorced, they won't be talking about it).

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#128 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 PM

Much congratulations to you Linda Enjoy your babymoon
#129 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Congratulations Linda! Enjoy your babymoon!!

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#130 of 201 Old 09-22-2004, 11:39 PM

Yeah Linda! Can't wait to read all about your birth and hear more about your newest daughter!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#131 of 201 Old 09-23-2004, 12:19 AM

Yay Linda!
Will be looking forward to your story!
#132 of 201 Old 09-23-2004, 12:52 AM

I just wanted to let you all know Alex has arrived. It was not at all as I planned or hoped for (ok, other than the outcome of a healthy baby!) after an emergency transfer, but I definitely will want to share my story here with you ladies soon to help me sort it all out in my mind. And when I say that, I welcome all feedback or thoughts (be it positive, or even outrage for what happened to me).

Anyway, he is beautiful and was 8lbs. 9oz. 19", and not home with me yet, but hopefully SOON!

I'll write my story when I can and post some pictures.

Hope Linda and whoever else was due has/had wonderful deliveries!

Stacy
#133 of 201 Old 09-23-2004, 02:18 AM

Congrats Stacy and Linda!!!!

I can't wait to hear your stories
#134 of 201 Old 09-23-2004, 01:16 PM

oh Stacy Your post sounds very traumatic, I hope that everything is okay I hope Alex will be home w/you soon
#135 of 201 Old 09-23-2004, 02:19 PM

Congradulations to the new mommies! : : :infant: :binky
#136 of 201 Old 09-23-2004, 06:37 PM

yay yay yay!!!

many congrats Linda and Stacy, can't wait to hear stories and see pix!!
#137 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 01:48 PM

Congrats to all the new babies here!!

I've been hermiting away here at home. Enjoying my daughter, but all of a sudden very afraid of the world. The world was a dangerous place for me as a little girl, and all that is just really coming out now that I have a daughter of my own.

I've finally written my birth story, but it is LONG and not a UC, so I didn't want to post it. ANy idea where I could put it if anyone wanted to see it?

Peace and Love
SHannon
#138 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunmama
I've finally written my birth story, but it is LONG and not a UC, so I didn't want to post it. ANy idea where I could put it if anyone wanted to see it?
If its really long, post it over on MDC's birth stories forum. Just make sure you come back here and post a link

Amy
#139 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 05:00 PM

#140 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM

Here is the story of my daughter’s birth.

I’d been having a lot of cramping and loss of mucous in the previous weeks, felt this was a good sign of cervical activity and might mean an eventual shorter/easier labor, and was very excited about this. I’d been very careful about staying off my back and not sitting in reclining positions, in the hopes of avoiding back labor (as I’d had with all my other births,) and the baby was pretty obviously LOA, a great position to be in. I’d also been feeling very good about my life, my body, and the pregnancy, so I felt like I was a really ideal place for having a great birth experience. I’d had some fantastic dreams and visualisations about the baby and the birth, and the birth was always easy and sometimes even pleasurable. There were a few days that I was suddenly and strangely overcome with fear about death and pain, but then I was gratefully back to feeling confident and positive and comfortable with facing whatever came my way.

My husband and I had some wonderful intimate time together throughout the weekend that made me feel very goddess-like and sensually powerful and connected to him. Saturday night I had contractions all night that stopped with the day, same thing Sunday night though they were more painful. I had my husband stay home Monday morning, but again the contractions ceased. I was happy to have him there anyway, as I felt that I was in an important transitional period and it felt right to have my family around me. About 4:30 pm Monday afternoon the contractions started back up again. My husband took the boys to play basketball, at which point the contractions began to get harder and I to feel emotionally fragile, and I found myself upset at his absence. When they got back we had dinner (although I ate only a few bites) and watched some mindless TV, then set the kids up in their playroom with a bunch of videos and pillows and blankets, hoping they would fall asleep there.

The contractions continued to come steadily. Around 10:30 pm I went to bed, and shortly after my two younger children joined me. About midnight the contractions were so intense that there was no way I could be in bed during them any longer, so I got up and puttered around the house a bit. I lit some candles, put on some music, and set up a birthing spot in the living room (where my last was born) but after a while that no longer seemed right and I was drawn to our bathroom, which is literally a bath-room (with just a bathtub in it,) and floor space of about 3 by 5 feet. I ran a bath and made up a little nest for myself of cushions and blankets and put some candles in the adjacent room so that only a dim glow reached me.

I felt overall very positive about how the labor was going, and I had this idea that the baby might be born in the next couple of hours. At the same time, the increasing level of pain (on top of not having slept well for quite some time) was getting tedious and unpleasant, and I told myself if I was still going at it in the morning that I would call my midwife friend Pam to bring by some herbs and homeopathics and moral support.

At that point I was still walking around between contractions, but more and more found myself kneeling and draped over the side of the tub, or on hands-and-knees in the bathroom. Around 3 am I began to have serious back labor, and from then on pretty much stayed in my little nest. Unlike my previous labors, the contractions also gripped me in the abdomen, so it was kind of like a double whammy that I hadn’t expected and didn’t like at all. I had been moaning low, which had been keeping me focused and calm and clearly helped me to relax my pelvic floor and back, but when the back labor started my voice took on a life of its own and rose higher and higher until I was shrieking at the peaks. It was pretty awful. I experimented with different positions and tried different things with my body, like slow, deep breathing, arching my back, and directing my physical energy down and outwards. It all helped, but then I’d hit that peak and just lose it. I started praying, “please, please, make the pain go away, it’s not necessary, I don’t need it, please make it stop.”

And suddenly it did. The pain was entirely gone. I couldn’t tell if I was still contracting, and I didn’t care. I thought, maybe this is the “rest and be thankful stage” that sometimes comes at full dilation. I waited and waited for the contractions to start back up again, and when they didn’t I began to think that maybe I would get my sweet, easy birth after all. My “butter birth” as my friends and I had been referring to it, my due after all the hard ones. I reclined back against the cool wall with my legs flopped open and felt up inside myself. It felt soooo good. I was open and swollen and lubricated, as if I was sexually aroused. Out of curiosity I put pressure on my clitoris, and that felt good as well, though I had no desire whatsoever (nor any energy) to come to orgasm. I had been naked and hot, but began to cool off with the lack of exertion and wrapped myself in my fuzzy lavender robe. After a while I became so relaxed that I fell asleep, sitting up with my head cupped in my hand. It felt so wonderful, like lying down in a warm, clean, soft bed after a day of good physical work.

I dozed for a while (I estimate about an hour) and then, like a bolt of lightening, I was suddenly hit with an intense, fast building contraction that had me again shrieking and propelled out of my reclining posture and onto my hands and knees. As soon as it was over I went to the bedroom and said to my husband, "S----, I need your help.” He had been sleeping peacefully throughout all the noise I was making (as were the kids) but at the sound of his name he leapt up and into action. We went back to the bathroom, I got on hands and knees facing the tub, and he put pressure on my hips and back. In the seconds between contractions he pressed up behind me (which felt incredibly comforting) and rubbed my back gently. He was the best support I could have wished for.

I, on the other hand, was a raving lunatic. I was ready to go the hospital, get the epidural, get the c-section, anything but this, if it only meant that I didn’t have to do this anymore. I thought several times about telling my husband to get the car running and just take me. I also thought that I must be very close to the birth, and that it was ridiculous to think that there would be time for interventions anyway. I still wanted to give up. It was torturous. I thought to myself, “I will never ever judge anyone for choosing an epidural or section again. Nobody should have to go through this if they don’t want to.”

At some point I thought to check for the baby’s head, and lo and behold there it was at the very top of the birth canal. I was only partly reassured by this, as it seemed wedged in there pretty tight and I didn’t know how long it would take for it to descend. For some reason I began to feel doubtful that I would have a spontaneous “fetus ejection reflex” as I had with my last birth, and I was really ready for the labor to be over, so I made a conscious decision to begin bearing down to see what would happen. It didn’t feel wrong, in fact it felt like it was okay to do so, but my body was clearly not pushing the baby down of its own accord, either. I decided to go ahead with it anyway, as I was feeling so desperate for the pain to stop.

My husband says that it was four contractions total from when I started pushing, three to move the head down and one for the body, but to me it seems like it was a lot longer. There was so much resistance, the head felt like it was straining so hard against me, it felt way too tight. My tissues felt stretched to their limit, and there was that burning, and oh, it was so tight. It was awful in its intensity and it was the hardest thing I’d ever done, that I could ever imagine doing. Still I pushed as hard as I could, and I felt her head moving down, so slowly, increment by increment. The water sac broke, pouring warm out of me. Then her head eased out, and we both said, “there’s the head!,” and I put my hand on it. It felt huge, and warm, and wonderful, and I was so happy. I waited for the next contraction – which seemed to take an eternity, and during which I received a vision of her body turning to admit the shoulders – and then again bore down as hard as I could.

In a fantastic feeling of release the rest of her body sloshed out of me, and my husband caught her on placed her below me on the blanket. I easily lifted my leg over her, turned around, and sat back, and he helped put her in my arms. She was already crying, already pink, and so warm and soft. I rubbed her back and talked to her, and then my husband got a blanket and we wrapped her up and I put her to my breast. My husband checked the time -- 6:00 am.

It was the most wonderful thing to be there just with my husband and the baby, so normal and right and so very comfortable. It was wonderful to sit there naked and unselfconscious and just be. There was nothing earth-shattering or particularly spiritual-feeling about the moment, but it did feel as if all was in complete harmony, as if nothing was out of place. We talked softly, I don’t know what about, and smiled, and just sat there with each other and admired the baby. I was wide awake, alert, aware. There was a stillness of time and clarity and utter calm that was present for the first time for me after a birth.

I am still basking in it. I haven’t had any postpartum depression or mood swings as I have had after all my other (disturbed) births. I am tired and having some discomfort due to the afterpains and my non-spontaneous second stage, yet I feel infused with emotional strength, which has carried over into my interactions with my children and husband. There has, as well, been no interference with bonding. There is nothing more dear to me right now than this little being, and nothing I wouldn’t do for her, and with a glad and willing heart.

There is a wonderful quote from Marsden Wagner, MD, that I am really feeling the reality of right now:

Humanizing birth means understanding that the woman giving birth is a human being, not a machine and not just a container for making babies. Showing women---half of all people---that they are inferior and inadequate by taking away their power to give birth is a tragedy for all society. On the other hand, respecting the woman as an important and valuable human being and making certain that the woman's experience while giving birth is fulfilling and empowering is not just a nice extra, it is absolutely essential as it makes the woman strong and therefore makes society strong.
#141 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 08:10 PM

Linda and Shannon, what wonderful stories, thank you so much for sharing

Shannon, on another list I belong to, someone there prefers to call her birthing "freebirthing" (vs. unassisted). She explained that that leaves her open (and free) to trust her instincts and involve who she wants to, vs. closing the door on any involvement or support if she uses the term unassisted.

Congratulations again mamas on the wonderful freebirths
#142 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Shannon, on another list I belong to, someone there prefers to call her birthing "freebirthing" (vs. unassisted). She explained that that leaves her open (and free) to trust her instincts and involve who she wants to, vs. closing the door on any involvement or support if she uses the term unassisted.

Thank you for that, Amy. I have thought, over and over, did I fail at what I set out to acheive. Really, I wanted to UC because I felt my husband and I needed it for some healing between us....and somehow, just Nilah's presence has brought us closer together than we have been for years. I have been blessed with 2 midwives in my life (the first for my previous births...then the second at this last) who are my friends first. Who were both "freebiirthers" as you describe, and who supported my heart more than my body. I am grateful for them, and I love them dearly. My birth was perfect, although not what I had planned or expected.

Thank you again, you lifted my heart on a down day for me.
Blessings
Shannon
#143 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 08:48 PM

Linda & Shannon.....Wonderful birth stories! I'm so thankful all you wonderful mamas share your birth stories.

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#144 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 PM

Linda~ wonderful birth story. That baby must have been big, hey? Your story reminds me somewhat of mine... wanting to be in the bathroom, partner sleeping during labour, lighting candles, putting on music, puttering... and I didn't get any PPD, as I did last time. Congratulations!
#145 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 10:30 PM

No, not a big baby. 7 lbs., term.

Shannon, reading your story gave me the feeling of a "freebirth" more so than many stories I've read in which there was no birth professional present. I think because in your case you were telling your friend what to do, rather than a midwife telling you what to do, or a husband or other support person acting as midwife, you know?

It's a wonderful story in any case. I could so relate to both the good and hard parts of it. Your birth doesn't fall under one of the clearly defined accepted labels (obstetrically-managed hospital birth, homebirth with midwife, UC) but that certainly makes it no less authentic and valid. I applaud you for having the strength of character to follow your own unique path based on what *you* needed in the moment, as opposed to what any group of "enlightened" folks would like us to believe is the only best way for all. It might have not been technically unassisted, but to me your birth definitely represents the spirit of "freebirth".
#146 of 201 Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 PM

thank you, Linda.....you and Amy have certainly helped me put it into perspective a little more. Rob kept saying "why aren't you posting on that UC thread anymore??" and I told him I didn't know if I should LOL

We are so good at denying our fantastic experiences if we don't feel they are the "ideal." Silly of me, really.....
#147 of 201 Old 09-25-2004, 12:10 PM

Congratulations mamas and babies!

Linda-I was teary eyed while reading your birth story. Just beautiful.

Shannon-Linda said it so well, I'll just agree with her.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#148 of 201 Old 09-26-2004, 07:31 AM

Hey lovely mamas,

I've been up for about 3hrs or so having steady contractions....not payin too much attention to timing them, they're something like every 5-10 minutes at this point. I think I'm way too excited to try to get some sleep, hence coming on here and posting. I got this burst of energy and did some laundry, and got some homemade waffles ready cook once everyone else wakes up....all the while I'm savoring the last hours/minutes of dark by burning some candles. I feel very good and centered

Maybe this is it......
#149 of 201 Old 09-26-2004, 01:32 PM

mellie-bellie~Wishing you a beautiful, peaceful birth
#150 of 201 Old 09-26-2004, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I applaud you for having the strength of character to follow your own unique path based on what *you* needed in the moment, as opposed to what any group of "enlightened" folks would like us to believe is the only best way for all. It might have not been technically unassisted, but to me your birth definitely represents the spirit of "freebirth".
ITA!!

Birth is about what we want, and what makes us comfortable and empowered, not what anyone else thinks we should do, be it attended by proffesionals or not.

Congratulations to all the new mamas and babies! And peaceful and powerful birthing vibes for melli-bellie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page