UC thread #9...Sept. '04 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 201 Old 08-31-2004, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would start the new thread.

: : Oshun!

ETA: Can someone post the links to the other threads? I don't know how. Thanks!
#2 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 12:13 AM

uc thread #1
uc thread #2
uc thread #3
uc thread #4
uc thread #5
uc thread #6
uc thread #7
uc thread #8

roll call

andrea88 -- UC 8/03 story
Aurora -- UC 10/03 story
Whit -- UC 11/03 story
2much2luv -- UC 1/04
thechrysalis -- UC 1/04 story
Mothernature -- UC 1/04 story
indigolilybear -- UC 3/04 pics (first UC 5/01 story)
citizenfong -- UC 3/04 pics
Carrieanders -- UC 4/10/04 story
Chaka Falls -- UC 4/04
amyamanda -- UC 5/04 story
Karenpl -- UC 6/04 story
bookwormmama -- UC 6/04
wildthing -- midwife-attended 6/04 story
grnbn76 -- emergency cesarean, 7/04 story
Hathor -- UC 7/04 story
Mamajaza -- UC 7/04 pics
ChildoftheMoon -- born still 7/19/04 peacefully at home story
gr8fulmom -- UC 7/04 story
luna13mama -- UC 7/04
Chandar -- UC 7/04 story
Klothos -- UC 7/04
madrone -- UC 8/04
TinyBabyBean -- midwife-attended 8/04
violet -- UC 8/04
Oshunmama -- midwife-attended 8/04
lovemygirl -- UC 9/04
mellie-bellie -- UC 9/04
blueviolet -- UC 9/04 (first UC 7/01, story)
JesseMomme -- September (first UC 11/02, story)
StacyL -- mid September
4xmamamia -- September
amyjeans -- EDD October 2
rachel -- EDD late October
DancerMom -- late November
Ame -- first half of December
laurata -- December (first UC 3/02, story )
Lula's Mom -- December
AmyD -- EDD December 7th
nikirj -- EDD December 30
mamamaya -- mid January 2005
zonapellucida -- late January 2005
Chiromom -- Jan/Feb 2005 (first UC 2/03 story)
Dandylion -- Jan/Feb 2005
mehndi mama -- late February 2005
rainbowmoon -- April 2005
FreeRangeMama -- April 2005 (first UC 9/03)
sprinkle pocket -- late spring/early summer 2005

Please PM me to make changes.
#3 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 11:56 AM

I have been wondering about this for awhile..do you mamas think it's necessary to listen to fetal heart tones during a UC labor/birth? I feel like the nurse doing this at the birth center for my last birth every 15 min inhibited me greatly so want to avoid it I think. but then i also think I would like to also know how baby is doing maybe? I am torn I guess, and would like to hear about other's experiences with this.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 01:08 PM

I know you asked for past experience, but I'll tell you what I plan to do anyway... We listen to the baby with the fetoscope a lot already. A LOT. Usually every night. We like to because it makes us feel close to the baby, but in the back of my mind I also do it so I will be very familiar with this baby's rhythm. I know I'll want to hear it during labor. I know some don't feel it's necessary or desirable but I want to.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#5 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 02:55 PM

When I had a midwife assisted homebirth, she only checked the baby's heartrate once I'd started pushing, between contractions. I only pushed about 4 or 5 times, so it wasn't very much...she checked, maybe 3 times? (It's hard to remember now!)

This time, we will not be listening to the heartbeat during labor at all. I trust my body and I trust my baby.

(Disclaimer: Not saying that people who choose to listen are not trusting, but that's my reason for not bothering)
#6 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 03:12 PM

During labor itself, I can't imagine any reason why the baby would go into distress as I'm not going to be stressed out, taking any drugs, or inducing/augmenting labor. So I probably won't check unless I intuitively feel something isn't right. I know intuition isn't fail-proof, but frankly I trust it more than I would an EFM.

I expect to push the baby out in a few pushes, as happened the last two times when I let my *body* decide when to push. That's quick enough that it's pointless to check FHTs at that time. If my body is straining to get the baby out for much longer than that, I'll suspect something out-of-the-ordinary is up, and probably check FHTs and call a midwife friend to get her input.
#7 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 03:28 PM

Just joining in!! My name is Laurie. I had a UC in Sept/03 and am planning another in April/05.

I never listened to FHT at all last time around and can't imagine why I would bother this time either. It just doesn't seem necessary to me during the pregnancy and I certainly wouldn't want to distract myself with it during labour either I really enjoy the idea of having no external monitoring at all. I really just love listening to myself. I tend to be the kind of person to get caught up in the details, so I think it is better for me to not have the opportunity. The less "noise" the better!

During my last (UC) labour I was in transition for 7 hours. It was crazy, intense, painful, and kind of scary, but I think having nothing but myself to rely on really allowed me to pay attention to that little voice that let me know that everything would be okay

#8 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 04:54 PM

Hi, I am Emily, UC supporter and resident lurker on this thread!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 08:30 PM

Oh no... I got lost from the list! No big deal.

I just attended my sister's birth this weekend. She had a home birth attended by a CNMW. The FHT thing really got to me. First of all, the midwife was monitoring with a doppler rather than a fetoscope. Once my sister began pushing she was monitoring the baby almost constantly. The MW quickly became alarmed by some decels during the height of the contraction and bearing down which would immeadiately return to normal as the contraction released. She was saying... "I am concerned about these decels. They could just be part of a normal labor or they could mean the baby is in trouble". She concluded that the labor was going "too fast" for the baby (8 hours so far) and instructed my sister to not push every other contraction so the baby could "get a break".

This made me so crazy I practically had to leave the room! I mean, first of all to tell the mom she was going too fast and the baby might be in trouble! Uuggh! Plus, the doppler could be contributing to the decels! Luckily, my sister was totally in the birth zone and kinda didn't even pay attention to the alarmist stuff she was saying. I was very concerned that she would slow down or even stall out temporarily, but she just did her best to comply but couldn't help pushing a bit anyway. Finally the midwife gave up and said why don't you just get the baby out (DUH!) and let her push as she felt like it! I mean, what were they gonna do...tell her to transport? It was so wierd.

To me, this is just more reinforcement of how well intentioned interference can screw the process up.

BTW, the baby was in great shape at birth even tho they were all freaked out with the O2 canister looming.

I am SO not letting any "health care provider" attend my births. Even tho well-intentioned, their education and caution really got in the way. Sorry, I just needed to rant a bit. Be glad I didn't tell the whole story about how they pulled on her placenta and injected her with pitocin without permission. Oh well, all's well now.
#10 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 09:38 PM

Gee whiz, where did this midwife get her training? Sounds like the FHTs were completely normal for a pushing stage.

Chiromom, let me know where you should be on the list!
#11 of 201 Old 09-01-2004, 11:10 PM

Oh, My Stats:

Lay midwife assisted homebirth with DS (child #1): 8/00

Previous UC (with DD, child #2): 2/03 (birth story on board somewhere, but I am link impaired)

Due with planned UC: Jan/Feb 2005

Crazy/Rebel lady of long standing (kinda)

I'm goofy today; blame the hormones.

Mar
#12 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 01:31 AM

We don't listen to FHT either. COuldn't find them w/the fetascope I bought our first UP and it felt good to give up that last "apollonic" tool as JPB would say. this last preg. I didn't even try.

oh and if we are correcting/ammeding the list, I have a UC that is missing too....our first one, second HB, second child.
It's up here:
http://www.compleatmother.com/homebirth/elaine.htm if you want to post links. Thanks BV.

BTW< where is the MANA conference you are speaking at? I wish I could hear it!!
#13 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 AM

so if you were to listen to FHT's would you use a doppler or fetascope?

how hard is it to learn about listening to FHT's? would it be easy to make a mistake and think something was wrong?

is wanting to listen to FHT a sign that I am not fully trusting birth?

#14 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM

Rainbowmoon--I think you need to answer that yourself. IMO any given thing (ie listening to heart tones) is NOT necessariloy a sign or not that you are not trusting birth. There as many ways to give birth as there are people and the thing about doing a freebirth is it is YOUR responsibility. I think you will receive information/intuitions that are totally specific to you and even your specific pregnancy.

As w/much of freebirthing, do some soul searching. Do you feel taht somehow listening to the FHT's would mean that things are under control? Do you have some ideas taht back up the idea of listening to FHT's? Do you have some prior experience that makes you concerned about the heartrate? Basically waht I am saying is find out how you believe that listening will help you. And then make a decision. There is no right answer. You need to do what makes you feel safe and okay doing what you need to do. It's all YOU baby!! :LOL anyway HTH! IMO a lot of the process is figuring out your personal philosophy and deconstructing a lot of the birth ideas handed down to us. "untraining" yourself, if you will.
#15 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 12:06 PM

As I said, I have a fetoscope. It's been really easy to find the heartbeat. I don't think AT ALL that the choice to listen to FHTs means you don't trust your body or the birth process. I think I'm the only one on this thread who plans to, and that's just fine with me. I have total trust in UCing. If I didn't I could never make this choice.

I just like to be...connected. When I hear the heartbeat, it feels like one of the ways the baby and I communicate while it's inside. I think I'll want to continue that communication at some point during labor too. It kind of reminds me of how DF will call me on his way home from work, and if he lets me I'll keep talking to him until he pulls in the driveway. :LOL

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#16 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 12:28 PM

well I am really on the fence over it and have been for some time..I don't know why it's such an issue with me. oh well I have plenty of time to figure it out though as I'm not even pg yet! :LOL

#17 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 02:07 PM

ILB, the MANA conference is in Portland, Oregon in October. It'll be interesting, I'm sure -- this is such a controversial subject in midwifery right now, so this will probably be a less accepting crowd than I spoke to last time, at the midwifery college (I spoke to a class whose teacher supports UC.) I'm going to approach it from the standpoint of looking at that which promotes normal physiological birth, in the hopes that a little science will stave off any antagonism. Show some videos, tell some stories.

Rainbowmoon, I have a fetoscope that I use in pregnancy (haven't in labor yet though, and don't know if I will this next time or not, I like to decide what I need in the moment rather than guess beforehand,) it's very easy to use actually. You just have to make sure and get one with a long cord, and have it completely quiet when you listen. It also helps to be lying down on your back. It's pretty obvious which is the baby's heartbeat and which is your own; I'm always perplexed when somebody says that they know somebody (it's always a friend-of-a-friend sort of thing ) that mistook the maternal heartbeat for the baby's and transferred unnecessarily or something. The baby's is at least twice as fast, fainter, and usually in a different place than the maternal heartbeat.
#18 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 07:43 PM

Um, don't do it. :P Seriously, I don't, and here's why: As the baby drops, it get progressively more difficult to find the heartbeat. Well, evidently my MIL and FIL didn't know or understand this, because they transported during their third birth- a planned UC- because they couldn't find heart tones. MIL, I think, was in transition, and when FIL said he couldn't find it, she freaked.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#19 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM

Very true! I should have thought to mention that. As with anything, it's going to be worse than useless to you if you don't know what's normal.
#20 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 10:05 PM
rad

Just lurking here. I'm really considering doing a UC for this next baby. DH seems supportive so far. Both babies were born at home, but our first baby was almost an unplanned UC as it was. So I guess I just want to learn more about it. So I'm hoping to find out some info from you ladies, if you don't mind.

As for listening to the FHT. With my first, my midwife never did. By the time she arrived at my house, I was ready to push and DS was too far down. With my second, I think they listened once, but I progressed quickly enough that was all they had time for. I don't think I would bother checking during labor if it was a UC.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#21 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 10:20 PM

Hi everybody!

Congrats oshunmama!!!! I love the name, btw. Enjoy your time with your beautiful blessing

As for the FHT, I'm not going to listen, because I would have no idea what to listen for and I don't think I would be able to concentrate anyhow.

I have another question - and I know there have been lots of threads on this- I just never read them.

If you could recommend one book, and only one mind you, on UC what would it be? I already have lots of labor and birth books. But I would kind of like to read something about UC specifically. I also don't like reading a lot of technical stuff. I feel like I start analyzing everything and it takes away from my intuition. So, anybody want to recommend one non technical, UC specific book?

Aloha, and I hope this month brings everybody much happiness.
#22 of 201 Old 09-02-2004, 10:53 PM

"Unassisted Homebirth: An Act Of Love" by Lynn Griesemer.
#23 of 201 Old 09-03-2004, 02:03 AM

We were able to listen to the heartbeat with a regular 'ol stethescope past the 23'rd week.
I was a really neat thing for us (especially dh) to do, we would listen before we went to bed and do a belly massage with oils too.
It was really neat as the hb would be different when she was awake and much slower when she was sleeping, quiet when she was posterior and loud when she was anteroir.... it would speed up just for a few seconds when she spun herself around, there was a few times where she would just constantly move away, so I would respect her space/privacy and not try again until the next night.
It never once made me feel concerened or worried, just really connected, as Lula's Mom said...
During labour, it was the last thing on my mind, I would have never had the patience to stop what I was doing just to listen to the hb.
I dunno, Im a little obsessive about details... I
#24 of 201 Old 09-03-2004, 11:57 AM

i actually did rent a doppler during my last pg which we used about 5 times..finding the heartbeat ourselves was really neat.. anyway next time we will likely go for the fetascope. where did you all buy yours? cascade?

I wanted to ask does anyone know where to find unassisted birth videos? (we are already getting the one from the Empowered Childbirth list btw)

#25 of 201 Old 09-03-2004, 02:53 PM

Is that the same one as from the CBirth list? There's also A Clear Road to Birth, and on Laura Shanley's site I think there are some other videos that are not specifically about UC but have UC births on them.
#26 of 201 Old 09-03-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaya

If you could recommend one book, and only one mind you, on UC what would it be? I already have lots of labor and birth books. But I would kind of like to read something about UC specifically. I also don't like reading a lot of technical stuff. I feel like I start analyzing everything and it takes away from my intuition. So, anybody want to recommend one non technical, UC specific book?

hands down (at least for me) Unassisted Childbirth by Laura Shanley is the best IMHO. I have also read the Unassisted Homebirth by Lynn M. Griesemer, but I didn't like it ...
For me, Laura's book is really, truly what UC is all about.
#27 of 201 Old 09-03-2004, 08:38 PM

I don't have a favorite book perse, and liked Shanley's allright, didn't really like Griesmer (sp?)
But my favorite thing to read was anything by Jeannine Parvati Baker. mostly her articles. here: www.freestone.org or www.birthkeeper.com

HTH!
#28 of 201 Old 09-03-2004, 11:15 PM

Can I just vent?

I am finding it incredibly annoying that my mother keeps "subtly" asking, "So have you seen a doctor lately?"

Seriously mom, shut up and stop asking. It's none of your business.

I've been extremely neutral and haven't discussed any of my plans with her. Just left it at "I'll do what seems best when the time comes." (my tactic about the doctor appointments so far has been *mumble mumble* "Nova! Stop that! Quit it. -- Mom, I need to go take care of my kids, they're getting into stuff.")

{sigh} Whatever. We certainly do talk a lot less on the phone these days, and I am glad we live 2500 miles or so apart.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#29 of 201 Old 09-04-2004, 02:44 AM

(((((( ))))))))))) laurata I can so relate!! I'll have to try that over the phone thing hehehe.

I love my mother and I'm glad she lives nearby, but we just butt heads over everything I do as a parent (not vaxxing, etc) and even though I have already had one UC it still just boggles her mind ( as she has so clearly stated) It "really helps" that she has been a nurse for 25 years or so This time around she spent a few months urging me to reschedule an appt with the women's clinic until she finally gave up, I've let her take my BP a couple of times (once at the office she works at I was seeing the dr for being on zoloft, once at home) not so much b/c I want to know but just to show her I really am fine. The last one was 120/70-something? And that was after I had spent fifteen minutes feverishly vaccuuming :LOL

She just totally doesn't understand why I don't want anyone around. We were both present for my first son's birth and trauma, but we see two different versions of what happened and still disagree to this day. Ah well, just commiserating. Hang in there, and I will too
#30 of 201 Old 09-04-2004, 03:06 AM

hi all.

about the FHT during labor and delivery ~ my little sprite was kicking on her way out, so i didn't worry too much about it. :LOL

while i was pregnant, i had my partner put his ear to my belly and listen to her heartbeat that way.

eta ~ the 1 book i would recommend is Prenatal Yoga & Natural Birth, by Jeannine Parvati Baker. it is so... spiritual / blissful and has such an awesome pro-UC view of the birth process.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page