Homebirthin' Mamas Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the old thread was 8 pages and it had kind of died I figured it was time to start a new one.

So who's "due" soon? I know there are several of us. My edd is September 28th, but I'm thinking I'll probably have an October baby.

I received my birth kit from www.inhishands.com last week and collected the other stuff I needed, like the white hose and some flannel backed vinyl tablecloths for under and around the pool.

We got all of Noah's baby clothes down from the attic and put all the diapers, covers, and wipes in the changing table last weekend. This weekend I'm going to do tons of baby laundry.

What are you all planning or have you done regarding GBS. I was positive with Noah and delivered in a hospital with an IV. My midwife is fine going along with whatever I want to do. I decided to go ahead and be tested, which I had done today. If I'm + I'm thinking I'll try some alternative treatments. Then I *think* we'll also have IV antibiotics on hand but only have her administer them if I develop any of the risk factors. I'm finding this to be the most difficult decision I've had to make this pregnancy, and I'm not sure why.

How is everybody else?

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#2 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 04:59 PM

Well, we're pretty sure this will be a homebirth baby, so here I am.....

Not due until December 22nd, but I'm pretty sure I'll go over so no biggie.

How exciting about getting your birth kit!!!!!! It has to be SO much fun to go through it all!
#3 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 05:11 PM

I'm due 11/8 but thinking October too... we'll see.
I'm skipping the GBS test all together - I'll worry about that if I have any actual symptoms/risks. I was neg with my first son, and am not convinced the testing & treatment are accurate or necessarry. I'm buying my kit from a lady my midwife reccomended. I havn't gotten anything else ready! Other than the baby room that I'll never use - it's beautifully decorated (haha). I didn't plan on getting anything for under/around the pool... nevet rhought of it. It's an aquadoula... I'll gladly take reccomendations!

This will be my first cloth diapering baby so I registered at clothdiapersnmore.com for what I want.... Hopefully friends & family will help me out with that. I'm so excited! I've always wanted a homebirth, but my first husband was unmovable on the issue, and for some reason I expected this one to be as well. BUT he wasn't so I'm getting to do everything exactly how I've always wanted to. That sounds silly, but it's such a relief - I can't get over how relaxed and UNstressed I feel about everything. I've just started getting more & more excited.

I have family that would stroke out if they knew I was having the baby at home, so I'm blatantly lying at this point. I'm just not up for the arguments even though I'm confident of my choice.... I just don't want to deal with it.

Is this anyone elses 1st homebirth? How did you sway your husband/partner? What are you telling friends & family?
#4 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 05:31 PM

I'm due in February. This will be my first homebirth. I had a cesarean with dd. I'm starting to feel like I should start lying! My mil (who I see every single day since we live next door to each other) hasn't been asking me anything regarding the baby and I'm sure it's because she doesn't want to get any more answers. She'll probably stroke out when I actually go into labor and don't call for an ambulance. She's like that.

I'm excited! I can't wait to do it. I mean I don't want the pregnancy to fly by too quickly, I want to enjoy it. But I am so anxious to have the baby and birth naturally.
#5 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 05:50 PM

Hi. We're planning our first homebirth, too. My parents are OK with it, DH's mom is respectful of our decision, and DH's dad is an MD, and you can just guess what he thinks. My sister is slooowly coming around. She just offered this week to pay for a housekeeper to come and give our house a thorough cleaning before the birth, "to make it sterile like a hospital". : Yeah, with two dogs and two cats it'll stay nice and sterile alright.

We got our pool in the mail this week, and the birth kit is on order. I'm wondering what to do about towels.... All of our towels are new and white (wedding gifts), so maybe I should hit the Goodwill and get some "lesser" towels...

I'm open to any and all suggestions for what I need to do/get to prepare. It's getting close! We're so excited!!
#6 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 09:21 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Chrissy!

My due date is Sept. 22, today I am 37 weeks 1 day and things are going way too fast for me, although I do have all of my birth supplies ready, baby clothes washed...

What I need to do now is just little stuff: like I want to get shirts for the other kids that the babys footprints can be put on, I want to help them make a Welcome Baby sign, I'd like to do a belly mask (which I will be doing Labor Day weekend with a friend)....

This will be my 1st homebirth also. I had a cesarean with my son for persistant breech presentation and then a VBAC with my daughter. She was born 12 minutes after we arrived at the hospital, we stayed home for so long so I could avoid another CS. Im looking forward to being able to stay in one place while pushing instead of barreling down the highway!

My parents know and arent exactly supportive, but they arent negative about it either. My husbands family doesnt know where Im giving birth so the only person who has had a problem with it is my grandpa and he is just worried for me, but not making a pest of himself.

I had my 37 week appt. today and it went much better than my last one did. I am only measuring 33.5 weeks, but my midwife said its just because baby is very low. She also said that s/he feels very long and about 7.5 lbs now. I cant wait to see what the birth weight and gender is! We went over in extreme detail what the normal procedures are at the homebirths that she attends which was nice since I need a lot of detail and information.

Here is a link to some very recent pics of me (at 36.5 weeks pregnant) and the children if anyone would like to see them: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMWbli4bM2zno and I guess thats all from me for now...
#7 of 184 Old 09-02-2004, 11:20 PM

OMG, Lynsey! Your pictures and you and your kids are BEAUTIFUL!! I really hope I can get some maternity pictures that great. Are your other children going to be present during the birth? Do they want to be? I don't know about Kinzi yet. I think we'll just take it a moment at a time.
#8 of 184 Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 AM

Great pics!!! I love the one in front of the window! I have an apt. for the 20th at a photographer who costs a fortune...I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This will most likley be my last baby, so I wanted something really special. Those of you who pray, My house is in the direct path of Francis. We're probably going to head out if it's a strong 4 or up to a 5 when it hits the other coast... We'll see.
#9 of 184 Old 09-03-2004, 10:26 AM

Hello, Mommas

I am about 30 weeks or so, but I'm thinking the baby will come mid-November. This is our first homebirth, our other three were born in the hospital. My family knows we'll be having the baby at home, doesn't quite understand why, but aren't expressing their negative thoughts...to me, anyway!

My dh is taking off next week to do some house repairs and painting before the baby comes. The kids go back to school on Tuesday, and my part time work at night is winding down. So within 2 weeks I will be able to readjust my focus to preparing for the birth and getting the baby's stuff ready Besides the birth kit, I just need the hose, some more towels and a few tablecloth/tarps for under the pool. Then I can go through all the clothes and set up a place for them and the diapers.

Some "fun" things I want to do are belly pictures, belly cast, t-shirts for all the kids, and last time we went to Build-a-Bear and made a bear for the new baby, so the kids want to do that again. I figure we'll start doing all that stuff in October sometime.

Other than that, I am really looking forward to the change in season...I love the warm colors and "harvesty" decorations everywhere, weekend trips to the farm, hayrides, laying on the couch under a cozy blanket with the windows open feeling that nice, cool fall breeze, drinking hot apple cider. Fall is definately my favorite time of year, I'm so glad this baby will be coming then
#10 of 184 Old 09-03-2004, 03:29 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting down to the wire here. I lost part of my mucous plug yesterday, and I have tons of BH, but no sign of labor yet. I am ready though! I have nested and cleaned and frozen meals... and I am sick of being pg. But the loss of part of my plug yesterday made me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I am planning a UC, just me and my dh, no midwife or doula. I ordered some supplies from InHisHands also, but not a whole kit. I haven't seen an OB since our only ultrasound at 24 weeks. My fundus is 39 cm, and my BP is excellent, and I've gained 35 pounds. I didn't have any tests (GBS, GD, etc.) nor any doppler. Our baby boy is very active - can't wait till he can kick on the OUTSIDE!!

Here's my belly from yesterday:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmTRqycNWzxY
#11 of 184 Old 09-03-2004, 05:54 PM

Tracie,

Thanks for the compliment about my pictures! I am planning for my 6.5 year old son to be at the birth if he wants to. Right now he says he does, but he's not that interested in the whole situation... I am really hoping that I will labor at night again and birth in the morning so that my 2.5 year old will just sleep through the whole thing. Im going to have a friend here to help with her just in case, but she is really a mamas girl and I think that if she is awake when Im laboring we will have a problem.

How old is Kinzi? Does she want to be involved at all? I bought Riley a couple of disposable cameras for him to take photos with if he wants to do that.

AmandaBL,

Let us know how the photography appt. goes! My husband took the pics that were on the link, but I did have professional ones taken also. It just wasnt a very good experience because standing still in the heat for so long made me feel very sick and I didnt really "recover" until after I had gotten home and rested for awhile. I get to go on Sunday to see how the ones that were taken turned out and Im really nervous and embarressed!

MonkeyPrincess,

We went to build a bear last month! It was pretty fun, 1st time I had been. My son just picked out a plain white bear with just a cloth dipe and booties since we dont know the sex. He did record a message for the baby though. I told him we will go back after the baby is born and get gender appropriate clothes for the bear.

Also, how are you doing the shirts for your kids? Im thinking about working on ours this weekend...

Stacy,

Those pictures are wonderful! You look beautiful! So Im assuming that your sons name will be Alex? If we have a boy his name will be Micah Alexander.
#12 of 184 Old 09-03-2004, 08:53 PM

Lynsey,

Thank you for the compliment Yes, his name is Alexander William. My dh just came home and he brought me roses! Earlier today, we were talking about where to set up the fishy pool, and he looked at me and said, "I can't wait! This is going to be so fun!" I was like, "Uh, maybe for you...fun is not quite the word that comes to mind." :LOL
#13 of 184 Old 09-04-2004, 08:12 PM

Stacy, LOL!

Actually, I had a few fun moments in my labor, two days ago. Our hb ended up UC. Perfect in every way. I hope you all get hb's as glorious!

I've just posted my birth story over on the forum. Here's a quick pic:
http://www.foosf.com/reid10mins.jpg

gotta change my siggie.
#14 of 184 Old 09-05-2004, 05:08 PM

Stacy,

Your husband sounds like a real sweetie! I cant remember the last time I recieved flowers! : Its also great that he has such a positive attitude toward your upcoming birth. My DH does not. He does not want to be involved at all (with emotional/physical support or catching the baby...) He said if he HAS to do something he maybe can cut the cord, but I dont want to give that up to him if he doesnt even really want to do it. Im hoping that he will at least take a few good pictures...
#15 of 184 Old 09-06-2004, 12:50 AM

My homebirth dream came true 3 days ago. My little boy was waterbirthed at home on Sept 2nd. I was 38weeks 4 days. It was an amazing experience. I can't wait to write out my birth story to share with everyone.
#16 of 184 Old 09-06-2004, 08:07 AM

congrats to all the mamas who've already had their babes! i'll head over and read stories later!

i am 35.5 weeks, with our second baby. dd was born in hospital with what i felt at the time were minimal interventions (episiotomy and vacuum)-due to my pushing ineffectively for 3.5 hours. i was exhausted. but my body never had the urge to push, so i suspect in hindsight, that although my cervix was 'ready' my body and baby were not.

this time around, we will have the same doula, who was great, and a midwife. i am renting a labour pool (i have cats, and an inflatable would last maybe 5 minutes-they're fast!)

dh is very supportive. our families are anxious. they will not be at the birth-my choice. i do not want a start and stop labour at home (at least not for that reason).

my dd will be 32 months old. i am really hoping she is interested and copes well. she, too, is a mama's girl, so i guess we'll see what happens. i dont really have any good friends nearby to be with her, so we've asked her parttime sitter to come if it's at night, and i'm still not sure what to do if it's during the day.

i am just having faith that these things will work out.

peace to all!
#17 of 184 Old 09-06-2004, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, so there are a lot of us who have just had babies or are due SOON!!

Congratulations mamatoannabelle! I look forward to reading your birth story.

Plantmommy, I really enjoyed your birth story and Reid is beautiful! Mucho congratulations to you too!

Proudly AP, I am wondering how my son will do with me laboring too. He'll be 34-ish months when baby is born. We've been watching birth videos and talking about it a lot. He asked me the other day, "Mommy, when the baby is born will you be yelling loudly?" I said, "I don't know Noah. I might be." He said, "Please try very hard not to Mommy." So we'll see. Our plan is for my MIL to come over and be with him if he is awake.

Lynsey, to your dh. I asked mine if he would like to catch the baby and he looked really scared and freaked out and emphatically said "No." I'm kind of glad though because I'm really looking forward to doing it myself!

Stacy and Lynsey, both of your pictures are so gorgeous!! Beautiful beautiful bellies and mamas (and kiddo's Lynsey!)

MonkeyPrincess, I could not agree with you more about the fall!!! I LOVE it! It is my favorite season by far. I cannot wait to do all the fun, cozy fall things you described.

AmandaBL, how are you doing with Frances?

Looking forward to reading more birth stories soon!
Chrissy

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#18 of 184 Old 09-06-2004, 01:15 PM

Francis update - We lost power yesterday at noon and are still without (We're at my parents who have power still & a generator) I'm trying not to strangle the kids (boys, 10 & 5) or the dogs (my parents 2 schnauzers ?sp? and my Jack russell) Part of our fence blew down & we have a decent leak in our roof - but nothing too interesting. We got to watch big bulldozers move 2 good sized trees out of our road yesterday, but pretty uneventfull as far as hurricanes can go. I'm glad to have satelite & internet & most importantly (in Florida), air conditioning!!! The mall I work in is closed & I doubt there will be school tomorrow, so I've been inside for over 50 hours right now, and I expect to be here for quite a few moore. AND there's another one that could be comming our way NEXT weekend (Ivan).

Congrats to all the new moms! I just keep getting more excited- I'm going to read your stories next!

I havn't yet asked Scott about catching the baby. I kind of want to do it too!

I'll post again when I can get to my own home.... really looking forward to that.
#19 of 184 Old 09-07-2004, 11:19 AM

Yea!!! We have power! Everything is back to normal. The kids are out of school again today... they're really enjoying this!
#20 of 184 Old 09-07-2004, 03:43 PM

I'm 33 weeks along with baby #3, but this will be our first homebirth. I can't believe it's already time to order the birth kit and gather all the other supplies. I keep thinking I have plenty of time, when actually, time is running out! I'm getting really excited about giving birth again, and this time in my own house. Everytime I watch one of my mw's birth vid's, I get more and more comfortable knowing that I have chosen the best person to be my labor attendant. She's so nurturing during the labors and she has such a calm demeanor.
#21 of 184 Old 09-07-2004, 03:55 PM

My second child was homebirth on his due date Aug. 21st and his big brother 27 months watched the whole thing. He tells people "my baby come out moma vulva, he had paint on him, daddy cut bilca cord" We had support for him but he was right in to being there to watch. He grabbed the baby a hat as soon as I caught him. I never thought he would be capable of handling it but he didn't even flinch. It was a beautiful moment.
#22 of 184 Old 09-07-2004, 05:46 PM

Hi all!

I'm 31 weeks, and planning a homebirth with baby #1. I just ordered my birth kit, my sling, and am starting to try and stock up on baby jammies and onesies.

I feel a great stress relief because I finally found a replacement midwife on Friday. She is very sweet, has great energy, and is perfectly okay with being nearly totally hands-off. This is as close as I can get to UC, since DH is uncomfortable not having anyone there but us. She says she will stay (quietly) in the background unless we need her.

I have a question (Pam?) about using embroidery floss instead of a cord clamp. I asked a midwife I was interviewing about it and she stated that nothing else works but the clamp, and the baby can bleed out if you don't use it. ?? She had already said she would wait to cut the cord until it was limp. I don't get it! Any thoughts / answers are appreciated.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#23 of 184 Old 09-07-2004, 06:48 PM

Chrissy & Amanda,

Do you girls think that you will be "aware" enough to catch your babies? I desperately want to catch my baby, but Im not sure if I can do it. Im going to be very disappointed if I don't though. I just hated pushing so much last time and wasnt really "calm or collected" enough to even think about that. I barely even touched Paityns head before she was born...

My midwife said that she will help me, but I think I will def. need to be talked through it for it to happen.

Also, Amanda, Im glad you are okay for now. I will be thinking about you next weekend!

Shannon,

Your homebirth sounds beautiful! I hope my children are able to handle being at the birth. Did having your DS there distract you at all? Or make you feel any less comfortable (to be vocal...)?
#24 of 184 Old 09-07-2004, 07:35 PM

momn2baldie,

having my ds there did not distract me at all. I think it would have been more of a distraction wondering how he was doing if he wasn;t there. He did ask about the noises and was told "mommy needs to make those sounds to help the baby come out" and then he was fine.

I also caught my own baby. It was quite by accident, not at all planned. The position I was in no one else could reach the baby, without an conscious thought I reached down and scooped him up. Even now it seems quite surreal.

I am hoping to one day have my hands free enough to write the whole story.
#25 of 184 Old 09-08-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT
I have a question (Pam?) about using embroidery floss instead of a cord clamp. I asked a midwife I was interviewing about it and she stated that nothing else works but the clamp, and the baby can bleed out if you don't use it.

I know someone who has UC'ed three times and has friends who UC, and she recommended using cord clamps also. She said too many of her friends had problems or infections otherwise. So, I ordered two cord clamps from InHisHands.com

I plan to have my dh catch the baby. I think he deserves the honor to be the first to touch the baby, since I got to carry him for nine months!
#26 of 184 Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM

Mom2Baldie:

I hope I will be aware enough to catch him. Last time I wasn't - I was so focused internally I never even opened my eyes till he was out. I'm planning a waterbirth, so I'm sure someone will grab him if I don't - Babies float, right? That is a joke.

Everyone - Pushing Question:
I've heard so many people say they hated pushing latley, & that just never occured to me. I loved that part SOOOO much. I even told this poor girl in my hypnobirthing class how wonderfull it is. She's a first time mom & that was the part she was really scared of. I just went on & on about how great it is - that all of the sudden you KNOW your baby is comming & all your efforts are just about to accomplish something really big....bla bla bla for like 10 min. Now I'm hoping I didn't do her a disservice - maybe she'll hate it too & be cussing me!

Anyway... for those of you that didn't love this part, do you think you were really "ready" to push? Did you have the urge or did they tell you it was time? What exactly did you not like? Did you have a long, drawn out pushing time or did it hurt you alot, did you feel like everyone was rushing you??? I'm just wondering because this seems so foreign to me, but it obviously is NOT a rare occurance to hate this part. Going into the birthing, I just "knew" that I would enjoy that part & that I would love nursing. Both came true - I'm just wondering if I lucked out or if maybe my mindset had a lot to do with it. It truly never occured to me that women have such a hard time delivering babies & nursing - I figured if I could "get through" the first stage I'd be great.

Did anyone take classes this time around? What have you done before & how helpfull did you find them?

I'm adding a website I found on another board here - you may have seen it before, but it may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It's a photo essat with music of a home waterbirth with kids attending. It's not graphic, my 5 year old loved it, but it gets loud at the end so if anyone is at work, put on headphones (ha ha) It's maybe 1.5 min long.

http://danielfairbanks.pseconds.com/jude.htm

I'm probably heading up north tomorrow... Hurricane Ivan looks like a bad one..... I may not be on for a while after today, but I really look forward to the responses!
#27 of 184 Old 09-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Amanda,

To answer your question about why *I* hated pushing: I had kindof a different situation than most people do I guess. I was having a VBAC with a very unsupportive Dr. so I decided to stay at home until transition. We didnt actually leave for the hospital until I felt the urge to push and when I did bear down a little bit in the car my water broke. All of a sudden, I went from having fairly manageable contractions (or at least contractions that I was used to) to having extremely STRONG pushing contractions. I was told not to push, but to blow through them until we got to the hospital, but it was SO hard. I couldnt control whether I pushed or not and it was incredibly painful not to push with the urge. When we got to the hospital I pushed 3 times before the birth and it was very scary to me. My support people "forgot" to continue to support me, I had strangers around me, I was already having to argue against an IV, a nurse was doing perineal massage that was unwanted and was more painful than just letting my body stretch on its own.........

I know that the pushing stage was so hard for me because of the environment and the lack of support from my husband, doula and hospital nurses, not because I just had a hard time or whatever. I know that it will be different this time, but I guess that I have a hard imagining that it could be enjoyable.

I did really like being in labor though. It was very nice and calm. I hope my next labor is as close to it as possible...

I didnt take childbirth classes with this pregnancy. I actually never have. Last time when I was planning my VBAC I just read a lot of books and websites, practiced relaxation and visualization, stuff like that... I think all of that helped me. This time Ive been kindof lazy. I have the attitude that "I have given birth before, Ill be able to give birth again. My body knows what its supposed to do..."

Anyways, I will be thinking of you tomorrow! I cant believe that you Florida residents are having to deal with so much! 2
#28 of 184 Old 09-10-2004, 09:50 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to this on line forum thing but am so excited to find more home birth mammas! I live in a small community, so I don't get to meet too many others. I had a home birth with my first, who is now 13.5mons. and am 3mons. pregnant with my 2nd. We are again planning to do it at home... I couldn't imagine it any other way!! I still am suprised though at how many people look at me like I'm a nut-case when I tell them. Anyway, looking forward to getting to know some of you... We're due March 28th.
#29 of 184 Old 09-12-2004, 04:53 PM

I had a about this forum in church today. : I came in and saw this thread. Can I join? I see some of my fellow due date club members. I changed to a hb late in the game b/c according to a mw I spoke to, "UNC sitll isn't doing wbs." So, this is a known thing to them. My birth kit is sitting in my mws office. The girl who owns the company dropped it off with her b/c she's getting ready to have her 5th child. I need to pick up the other supplies and I'm cleaning the apt and dh is cleaning his dungeon so that the mws will have a place to sleep and not get injured. Mil was respectful but amazed at my plans b/c I was scared of the pain before we started ttc. She even asked if we needed any towels.

#30 of 184 Old 09-12-2004, 05:38 PM

StacyL~ You look amazing! You mamas with no stretch marks are starting to bug me though! :LOL Good luck...sounds like it won't be long now.

AmandaBL~ That link you posted is incredible. Makes me consider hiring a professional photographer for the birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page